Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Aerosmith - Walking the Dog Cover
Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: September 23, 2016 02:16

Since they are often referred to as Stones rip offs (I agree on the image aspect not so much on the music), I am curious how fellow Stones fans feel about Aerosmith's version of this early Stones cover.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Aerosmith - Walking the Dog Cover
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:30

I've always liked both versions. Pretty sure I heard the Aerosmith version before I heard the Stones but I liked the Stones 'strut' as a contrast to the Aerosmith 'swagger' as soon as I heard it. To this day, whenever I get one of my band's to cover the tune, I always try to get a bit of BOTH versions in the tune... A bit of A-smith attitude with the Stones strut sounds pretty good to my ears. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm REALLY GLAD that neither act decided to cover the first 6 seconds of Rufus Thomas' original... As much as I love his version, I can't STAND that horn fanfare/prelude that he put at the front of his cut. After that, I can easily hear why the Stones, Aerosmith and countless others have wanted to cover that tune!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 23, 2016 19:34

Aerosmith's unplugged version was very good, imo.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:45

Aerosmith claim that the Yardbirds were a bigger influence on them than the Stones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:47

I really like Aerosmith's version. The Stones and Rufus' too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:48

Also, ACDC's "Giving The Dog A Bone"

Date: September 23, 2016 19:48

boogaloojef
Aerosmith claim that the Yardbirds were a bigger influence on them than the Stones.

Having listened to Aerosmith for as long as I have, I tend to believe them. The Aerosmith/Stones connection/similarities in my opinion is far more a product of lazy music journalists than it ever was a product of Aerosmith's music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:49

boogaloojef

Musically, maybe.

Visually, they could be a Stones '72 Tribute band.

Date: September 23, 2016 19:54

DandelionPowderman
Aerosmith's unplugged version was very good, imo.

What would I do without you DP? I can't figure out how it was I never knew that Aerosmith did an "Unplugged"... I'm going to blame it on the lack of cable tv, amount of practicing I was doing and the booze that I was pouring in me during that year I was in college! I know what I'm going to be searching for and listening to on youtube tonight!

As usual, I'm in your debt. Again. Still. Even more!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1103
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home