Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith wrote Angie?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 8, 2016 17:45

I never knew this until today, where an article quoted Keith saying he wrote the song and lyrics while drying out in Switzerland, and that the name Angie wasn't about anyone in particular, just a name that fit. I have always loved the song. I lived in the Midwest at that time and it fit so perfectly with the melancholy of autumn and the leaves falling and the wind getting colder. Another Keith gem, huh? I guess the music and lyricist of Ruby Tuesday could be expected to pull off such a stunner.

Re: Keith wrote Angie?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 8, 2016 17:50

He did write the music and the title phrase, for his daughter Dandelion Angela.
I don't recall him ever claiming the rest of the lyrics, though.

Date: September 8, 2016 17:53

From tioos.com:

«The basic melody and the title were mine. I don't think you can write really interesting rock and roll songs if you can't get into ballads and slower stuff. Quite often when you write a ballad it ends up as something else. Once we've got a song we tussle around with it, roll in the dirt with it. I'd recently had my daughter born, who's name was Angela, and the name was starting to ring around the house. But I'm into writing about my babies. Angie just fitted. I mean, you couldn't sing 'Maureen'»...

- Keith Richards, 1993

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 8, 2016 18:07

I thought when she was just born ahe was known as Dandelion?

Date: September 8, 2016 18:09

Apparently her name was Dandelion Angela right from the get-go.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 8, 2016 18:16

I believe Keith has always related this story because he wanted people to know that it was NOT about Angie Bowie because that was the speculation at the time. Keith was not a particular fan of Bowie and did not want anyone to think he was paying tribute to the Bowie camp

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: September 8, 2016 18:37

So it's not about Angela Merkel?!

Date: September 8, 2016 18:51

I read a long time ago - probably in Rolling Stone he wrote it about Anita...he mentioned something like "Angie "I need ya (sounds like Anita)"...who knows....his versions change...much like the Muddy was painting the god damm ceiling....

Date: September 8, 2016 18:55

AlmostHearYouSigh
I read a long time ago - probably in Rolling Stone he wrote it about Anita ...
something like "Angie "I need ya (sounds like Anita)"

That "Angie = Anita I need you" is one of Nick Kent's multitude of misquotes, misunderstandings and miserable fails.
There is of course a Keith song with a play on words along those lines, but NK got the wrong song.
Try Anita love to keep me happy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-08 19:07 by with sssoul.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 8, 2016 18:58

AlmostHearYouSigh
I read a long time ago - probably in Rolling Stone he wrote it about Anita...he mentioned something like "Angie "I need ya (sounds like Anita)"...who knows....his versions change...much like the Muddy was painting the god damm ceiling....

What kind of ceiling? smoking smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 8, 2016 19:01

I have no problem believing Keith wrote the music and had the start, "Angie...' Than he handed it over to Mick who wrote the rest of the lyrics.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 8, 2016 19:05

The first phrase "When will these clouds all disappear' sounds like maybe Keith got the melody started that way.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 8, 2016 19:10

HonkeyTonkFlash
I have no problem believing Keith wrote the music and had the start, "Angie...' Than he handed it over to Mick who wrote the rest of the lyrics.

Same with "Shattered" / Keith had the title and the opening riff. Then he called hsi songwriting butler to wrap the song... "Hey Mick will you please finish this one for me?" smoking smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 8, 2016 19:34

24FPS
I never knew this until today, where an article quoted Keith saying he wrote the song and lyrics while drying out in Switzerland, and that the name Angie wasn't about anyone in particular, just a name that fit. I have always loved the song. I lived in the Midwest at that time and it fit so perfectly with the melancholy of autumn and the leaves falling and the wind getting colder. Another Keith gem, huh? I guess the music and lyricist of Ruby Tuesday could be expected to pull off such a stunner.

I've read that Brian Jones should have a got a writing credit on Ruby Tuesday. Anyone know the details on that?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 8, 2016 19:35

I'm sure that has been discussed before here, did you try searching the forum? Maybe in the Track Talk subject.

Date: September 8, 2016 20:00

dcba
Same with "Shattered" / Keith had the title and the opening riff. Then he called his songwriting butler
to wrap the song... "Hey Mick will you please finish this one for me?" smoking smiley

Mick has said Shattered is pretty much all Keith's, words included.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2016 20:38

HonkeyTonkFlash

Well this is the way the worked for the last 50+ years..............

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 8, 2016 20:51

NICOS
HonkeyTonkFlash

no,unfortunately this was the way it worked until about 1982...

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 8, 2016 20:52

It's always been a fav for me also, it captures the mood of my lost loves also when I here it...

Date: September 8, 2016 20:59

lem motlow
NICOS
HonkeyTonkFlash

no,unfortunately this was the way it worked until about 1982...

Listen to how they worked up till 1967... Try Dandelion, Sitting On The Fence etc. We can easily hear who's doing the phrasing and writing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 8, 2016 21:32

with sssoul
dcba
Same with "Shattered" / Keith had the title and the opening riff. Then he called his songwriting butler
to wrap the song... "Hey Mick will you please finish this one for me?" smoking smiley

That's not what I read (some time ago). Keith said he had the opening riff and the word "Shattered" and the lyrics and chords progression were Mick's.
To me this song has a Mick imprint all over it.

Anyway... grinning smiley

That's more like Keith's song. I wrote lyrics.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

That's one of Keith's and me in combination.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

In Shattered, Keith and Woody put a riff down, and all we had was the word shattered. So I just made the rest up and thought it would sound better if it were half-talked.
- Mick Jagger, 1978

Shattered, how I remember it, is Keith had the riff and this line, sha-doo-bie, and I came up with all the melody and the lyrics, all that stuff about New York, after the track was cut.
- Mick Jagger, 2002

All quotes from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2016 21:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 8, 2016 21:47

I've always believed the song to be about Angie Bowie?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 8, 2016 21:51

Mick finished the lyrics, so it could be that Keith has his thoughts on what inspired the song Mick has. So, it could be about both Angela Richards and Angie Bowie...or it could be about neither. grinning smiley

Date: September 8, 2016 22:52

dcba
with sssoul

That's not what I read (some time ago). Keith said he had the opening riff and the word "Shattered" and the lyrics and chords progression were Mick's.
To me this song has a Mick imprint all over it.

Anyway... grinning smiley

That's more like Keith's song. I wrote lyrics.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

That's one of Keith's and me in combination.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

In Shattered, Keith and Woody put a riff down, and all we had was the word shattered. So I just made the rest up and thought it would sound better if it were half-talked.
- Mick Jagger, 1978

Shattered, how I remember it, is Keith had the riff and this line, sha-doo-bie, and I came up with all the melody and the lyrics, all that stuff about New York, after the track was cut.
- Mick Jagger, 2002

All quotes from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Thanks dcba - I don't have the quote to hand where Mick says it's Keiths, but when I have time I'll track it down for you.
That's one of the many fine things about the Glimmer Twins as songwriters - they contradict themselves and each other all the time,
and we seem to care more than they do who came up with what.
Have you read the piece Ian McPherson has on his fine site about the subject? Very worthwhile: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 8, 2016 22:53

Keith wrote Angie...

..........................maybe....with Gram Parsons I think.

Not the lyrics, but the raw version. Well, that's my theory.

Or Keith was very inspired by Gram, which was true from 69-72.

I always wonder what they were playing together on those famous pictures in Nellcote 71. They must have done some songwriting together in those days. Not only old countrysongs.

Gram was banned from the Stones entourage before Angie came out and died shortly after it was released... in aug/sept. 1973.

Maybe he lost it after not being credited....

Date: September 9, 2016 00:23

... To me Angie sounds more like it was inspired by Malaguena than by Gram Parsons.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 9, 2016 00:59

[www.youtube.com]

( KR discusses Malegueña 4:00 )

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 9, 2016 01:31

Yeeah!!! Thanks with sssoul and schillid!

Great footage!

I've seen it before.

What does Keith say at 5.42....after showing the interviewer how to play Maleguena.....

Gra Psnn are you Spanish?.......ehahaggheeeehhee...

Drunk people who are feeling good are the best people in the world. smileys with beer

Telling the thruth. thumbs up

Thanks again. This is a classic interview!!! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-09 01:41 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 9, 2016 05:26

The lyrics are clearly about Marianne.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home