Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rough Justice as a concert opener
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:06

Been listening to ABB lately. Still enjoy it and convinced RJ could have been an outstanding concert opener. If they didn't want to take risk in some cities, they could at least used in multiple-concerts cities.
Hey, even a RJ-It won't take long would have been really refreshing as a 1-2 gig lead-off.
As some of you have posted before, ABB was good enough to tour fully behind it.

Re: Rough Justice as a concert opener
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:07

I think it was used as the opener at the Toronto club gig.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:09

lets leave ABB behind.....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:17

ManuelStones
....""could have been an outstanding concert opener""??...

Hell Yeah!!!

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 9, 2011 06:22

Max'sKansasCity
ManuelStones
....""could have been an outstanding concert opener""??...

Hell Yeah!!!
Well...
"...will be an oustanding concert opener in 2012"

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: September 9, 2011 10:46

Definetely underrated. Rough Justice is a rocker.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 9, 2011 10:54

its not a bad song, but not good enough to be an opener on the most probable last stones tour!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 9, 2011 10:57

Nothing, I repeat nothing, from ABB should be in any new tour. The liklihood is it will be the last tour and should cover the best of their career. ABB could never fall into that category. ABB is Shit!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 9, 2011 10:59

crumbling_mice
Nothing, I repeat nothing, from ABB should be in any new tour. The liklihood is it will be the last tour and should cover the best of their career. ABB could never fall into that category. ABB is Shit!
Why hold back? Tell us how you really feel.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 9, 2011 12:56

I wouldn't open a Stones show with Rough Justice or anything else from any album after Tattoo You. With that catalog, a Stones show should always begin with something vintage that nearly everyone in the house has hard-wired into their DNA.

I came to love Let It Rock as the 1978 opener after getting lots of recordings from that tour. But, when I was in the crowd in Philly on that tour, it seemed a bit of puzzler. "What song is this?" should not be the audience reaction during the first song at a Stones show. For a lot of people, Rough Justice would be like that, only way worse because the song just ain't that good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-09 15:25 by ab.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:02

I think it would have been a great opener.

It would have got a good reception, even if only because it's the first song in the set. (It's actually a pretty good Stones rocker).

And that'd give them confidence to try more new stuff.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:05

tomcat2006
I think it would have been a great opener.

It would have got a good reception, even if only because it's the first song in the set. (It's actually a pretty good Stones rocker).

And that'd give them confidence to try more new stuff.

thumbs up

My only quibble is that Mick seems to struggle slightly when singing it sometimes (it's a little too high for his range these days), so it's probably better for later in the show after his voice has warmed up.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:15

Please; no "Rough Justice" ever again. It's a parody of a Rolling Stones rockers, and shallow lyrics.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 9, 2011 14:23

So is YGMR,and this has been an opener...

Date: September 9, 2011 14:26

Erik_Snow
Please; no "Rough Justice" ever again. It's a parody of a Rolling Stones rockers, and shallow lyrics.

So are 'It's Only Rock & Roll' & 'Start Me Up', but they're still fun.

Date: September 9, 2011 14:37

Sleepy City
Erik_Snow

So are 'It's Only Rock & Roll' & 'Start Me Up', but they're still fun.

But IORR and Start Me Up are not as "forced" at all, melody-wise and lyricalwise (IMO) - they're both loose and natural rockers -in my opinion that is.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 9, 2011 20:01

shortfatfanny
So is YGMR,and this has been an opener...

...doesn;t make it a good opener....the song sucks btw.

Date: September 9, 2011 20:10

Rip This
....the song sucks btw.

just like Rough Justice

Date: September 9, 2011 20:47

For the most part, the best songs on A BIGGER BANG were never played live. The likelihood of "Rough Justice" making a return appearance probably isn't very high. The number of war horses in setlists coupled with the fact that the setlist has grown shorter means the new songs from each tour usually disappear to be replaced by the next set of token new songs. "You Got Me Rocking" has really been the lone exception with any true staying power. If we don't get a new album (and I'm only expecting SOME GIRLS DELUXE and the 2-disc package of Greatest Hits with bonus disc of Don Was-era outtakes), I would expect "Plundered My Soul" and one or two other tracks to count as the new material alongside the usual run of hits from "Satisfaction" through "Start Me Up."

Mind you, I didn't honestly think a tour was even possible for next year before this week's meeting. Part of me still expects it all to fall apart.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: September 9, 2011 20:53

Rough Justice as a concert opener

Indeed.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 9, 2011 20:55

RJ is a great rocker, but I wouldn't pick that as the opener. Anyway I'm not to deside.....
As for those who can't find any satisfaction from ABB, sure misses out on some good music. Well. On this board, however, it's not 'hip' to like the modern Stones material anyway. Neither the tours or albums. A little sad actually.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 9, 2011 21:23

My theory is that they considered to open ABB tour with Rough Justice, that's why they opened the Toronto club gig with it. Apparently crowd's response to the new stuff was far below their expectations and they went back to safe opener, namely Start Me Up and gradually removed ABB songs from their setlist, ending up with 1 or sometimes none new songs toward the end of the tour. How sad...

Date: September 9, 2011 21:38

WilliamPatrickMaynard
If we don't get a new album (and I'm only expecting SOME GIRLS DELUXE and the 2-disc package of Greatest Hits with bonus disc of Don Was-era outtakes), I would expect "Plundered My Soul" and one or two other tracks to count as the new material alongside the usual run of hits from "Satisfaction" through "Start Me Up."

Much as I'd love to hear it live, I can't imagine Mick doing it as there's some very tricky notes there (unless he relies heavily on the backing singers).

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 9, 2011 21:40

Sleepy City
WilliamPatrickMaynard
If we don't get a new album (and I'm only expecting SOME GIRLS DELUXE and the 2-disc package of Greatest Hits with bonus disc of Don Was-era outtakes), I would expect "Plundered My Soul" and one or two other tracks to count as the new material alongside the usual run of hits from "Satisfaction" through "Start Me Up."

Much as I'd love to hear it live, I can't imagine Mick doing it as there's some very tricky notes there (unless he relies heavily on the backing singers).

...and he would.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:02

I've been playing Rough Justice a lot the last few days.

I think it's a Stones classic.

It would have graced any Stones album.

And it would be a good opener.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:08

ABB is a quite good album, i like it much more than BTB and SW. But ebvery RS's album has it's own greatness.
I do not like it as opener, i much prefere oh no not you again

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:28

Only if it has the same mean guitar sound as on the LP.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 25, 2012 13:13

Great song. I love the lyrics ...would work fine as a opener, why not. it´s a good one.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 25, 2012 15:00

Yeah baby. that'd get the gig off to a proper rocking start for me. Great tune. Bring it on. All the moaners can stand there and stare into their beer and grumble while I'm shaking my booty!!!

\m/

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 15:22

I always thought RJ would be a great opener, especially at smaller venues. Maybe staduim crowds who expect the Hot Rocks set list might not dig it so much.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home