Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Are all band members created equal?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 9, 2016 15:36

This topic was spurred by the Guns 'n' Roses thread where it was revealed that Izzy Stradlin didn't do the reunion tour because the money wasn't going to be split evenly among the core members. This led me to ask...

For classic bands, ARE all members created equal?

U2 splits the money equally among the four of them, which I find fascinating for a band of their popularity. Clearly Bono and the Edge are the musical drivers of the band, but Larry Mullin has a major influence on the overall direction they take and is highly opinionated on the music they come up with. Adam, not so much.

I know Don Felder was fired because he wanted more money, and oddly enough, I found myself agreeing with Henley/Frey in the Eagles documentary where they coldly stated that they were the key members of the band who did the bulk of the work and the writing, and hence, deserved more money.

Think about it: do Phil Rudd and Cliff Williams deserve an equal cut of the loot compared to the Young Brothers? Or Joey Kramer compared to Tyler/Perry?

It certainly reduces drama to just split the money evenly, but is that REALLY fair in situations where you've got one or two guys who write all the music, do the interviews, provide the "big" personalities for a band, and do the heavy lifting for onstage performances (as opposed to standing by a drum riser all night holding down a beat)?

Thoughts?

Re: OT: Are all band members created equal?
Date: September 9, 2016 15:38

You mean for concerts?

Date: September 9, 2016 15:45

DandelionPowderman
You mean for concerts?
I know songwriting credits complicate this matter, but I'm talking band revenue in general - any case where money is coming in to the band as an entity (such as live shows).

Date: September 9, 2016 15:52

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
You mean for concerts?
I know songwriting credits complicate this matter, but I'm talking band revenue in general - any case where money is coming in to the band as an entity (such as live shows).

I'd say if you subtract the songwriting or arranging credits + possible extra responsibilities some band members might take on (like Mick and Charlie are also involved in stage design etc.), most groups probably share equally between band members.

Unless they have leaders like Brian Jones, that is winking smiley

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:05

No. Performance fees for band members are negotiable. I'm sure a lot of bands made up of all original members split the money evenly but for everyone else it's a different story.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:09

I would think it depends on tenure as well as song-writing credits. I may very well be wrong but I'd guess Mick and Keith get more from playing live than Woody and Charlie.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:11

DandelionPowderman

LOL, just have to start trouble, don't you?

Date: September 9, 2016 19:16

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

It also proved the point the others are making winking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:19

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

It also proved the point the others are making winking smiley

Yes, just funny how much bandwagon jumping there is whenever many posters see a chance to bash the other Stones for 'mistreatment of Brian' ... and they ignore facts such as this.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:29

I think they are. Steven Tyler on many occasions has said that he feels he deserves more money than the other members of Aerosmith, cause he puts in the most work and is always ready, whereas someone like Joe Perry may be off every so often. While I agree with his logic, unfortunately you're in a band. Thats how it goes. You are in it together, you are all original, you all get the same amount in my book. Do other things if you want more money, but as a band, it should be one for all if you've all been there for 40 years.

This is all for live stuff and otherwise. Band members that write the songs get that money anyway. For anything they do as a "band" should be equal if you've all been there the same amount of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-09 19:31 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 9, 2016 19:54

Bungo
No. Performance fees for band members are negotiable. I'm sure a lot of bands made up of all original members split the money evenly but for everyone else it's a different story.

I wonder if Mick Taylor was paid the same as the others for the 69 tour? And if less, was he ever paid the same in the following years?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 9, 2016 20:19

keefriff99
I know Don Felder was fired because he wanted more money, and oddly enough, I found myself agreeing with Henley/Frey in the Eagles documentary where they coldly stated that they were the key members of the band who did the bulk of the work and the writing, and hence, deserved more money.

Felder's position was that when he was brought in as a new member in 1974, he was given one-fifth share in the band...without even asking for it. Of course, that arrangement changed with the original reunion in 1994, and was changing again in 2001 (in terms of Henley/Frey getting substantially more) when he was ousted. Walsh and Schmit were content with being well-paid "hired hands," but Felder felt differently. He probably should have just bitten the bullet, but I could see his argument considering the way he was welcomed into the band, with all members being co-equals. But, of course, that was during the 1974-80 incarnation of the band...not several years later with the reunions, and new agreements on the table.

Date: September 9, 2016 21:27

Jah Paul
keefriff99

Felder's position was that when he was brought in as a new member in 1974, he was given one-fifth share in the band...without even asking for it. Of course, that arrangement changed with the original reunion in 1994, and was changing again in 2001 (in terms of Henley/Frey getting substantially more) when he was ousted. Walsh and Schmit were content with being well-paid "hired hands," but Felder felt differently. He probably should have just bitten the bullet, but I could see his argument considering the way he was welcomed into the band, with all members being co-equals. But, of course, that was during the 1974-80 incarnation of the band...not several years later with the reunions, and new agreements on the table.

I agree, its a tricky scenario and I see it from both sides. Without Frey and Henley being there from the beginning there wouldn't BE a band for Felder to join, but the way Felder put it also made sense. That this "Eagles Limited" corporation was set up under his tenure, before Walsh and Schmidt were in the band. So as such, I understand his thinking that he was there from the beginning of THAT setup and deserves a piece of that pie. I agree, in the long run he may have been better off just taking the deal, since its trickier because he's not even an original member, but he had an argument there.

Date: September 9, 2016 21:39

RollingFreak
Jah Paul
keefriff99

I agree, its a tricky scenario and I see it from both sides. Without Frey and Henley being there from the beginning there wouldn't BE a band for Felder to join, but the way Felder put it also made sense. That this "Eagles Limited" corporation was set up under his tenure, before Walsh and Schmidt were in the band. So as such, I understand his thinking that he was there from the beginning of THAT setup and deserves a piece of that pie. I agree, in the long run he may have been better off just taking the deal, since its trickier because he's not even an original member, but he had an argument there.

Yup, a big part of Felder's argument was that "Eagles Limited" was never dissolved after the 1980 breakup, so that legal agreement should have still been in place when they reunited in 1994 (and beyond). Henley and Frey took it upon themselves to create new agreements, and a new corporation - reducing Felder from "shareholder" to "employee" - when the original corporation still existed.

Definitely a tricky scenario, as you said.

Date: September 9, 2016 22:00

And they were probably right. Sneaky and assholey, but probably right. That were they just to lay back and let Felder enjoy that part of Eagles Limited that he'd be getting way more of a free ride than he deserves. In the end it isn't like he writes the songs or did keep himself out there or the Eagles name all those years. He's key, but understandably benefits a lot from the Limited deal that he may not even be entitled too. In the end, Frey and Henley probably did deserve more, and there's no way for that to happen without at some point coming off as an a**hole.

Its a bit different with the Guns N Roses thing to me because the band did exist without those members and was a failure. Say what you want about the Eagles, but its not like Henley went off without them, got them back together and THEN asked for more money. It was a band that broke up and a band that got back together. I get why Axl Rose deserves more as the face and voice of that band, but it could be argued he did more harm to the band dragging that name through the mud all these years than Izzy did just staying away from the spotlight. Again, why that one is also a tricky situation. You didn't need Izzy for legitimacy (as is evidenced by the fact that everyone went to this tour and considered it legitimate without him), but you can't discount those song credits and riffs which are largely his even though Slash is the face of the band/brand. Thats where Felder had less of a leg IMO. He was there for the start of Eagles limited, but he didn't write songs AND wasn't a founding member. So in that case I see an argument. With Izzy, he wrote all the songs AND started the band. So I feel that accounts for a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-09 22:02 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: September 9, 2016 22:16

All band members are equal but some band members are more equal than others

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 9, 2016 22:24

RollingFreak

Say what you want about the Eagles, but its not like Henley went off without them, got them back together and THEN asked for more money. It was a band that broke up and a band that got back together.

Well that brings up an interesting point? I guess if you have to ASK - then your not an equal! But I don't know - If Keith wants more money who does he ask or what about Mick? And where does the money come from? I guess it has to come out of the other members pockets - you get more, so someone else gets less, there's only "X" amount of money to go around...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 9, 2016 22:28

2000 LYFH

Well that brings up an interesting point? I guess if you have to ASK - then your not an equal! But I don't know - If Keith wants more money who does he ask or what about Mick? And where does the money come from? I guess it has to come out of the other members pockets - you get more, so someone else gets less, there's only "X" amount of money to go around...

The Prince wrote that Keith once asked him if the extra money Mick got came from doing things that created more money for the band.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 9, 2016 22:32

I think the Stones had equal shares of the stage revenue in the old days, otherwise Charlie, Brian and Bill wouldn't have had any money by 1969. (Which they didn't, while Mick and Keith earned hundreds of thousands from royalties). Keith and Mick make sore much more than Ron and Charlie, just from royalties. Do you really think people would show up just to see Mick & Keith and a bunch of no name hired guns? Mick tried it and failed.

Date: September 9, 2016 22:35

Good point, although I guess more "demand" than "ask". I meant in the scenario where Axl Rose says something like "I kept this band alive for 20 years when no one else wanted to", which is technically accurate although many would disagree. But that thats his stipulation and argument for more money. But like you say, I'm not sure who you ask about that or since its his band he's just allowed to do that.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 10, 2016 00:10

jambay
All band members are equal but some band members are more equal than others

Very Orwellian. Nice.

Date: September 10, 2016 00:18

24FPS
I think the Stones had equal shares of the stage revenue in the old days, otherwise Charlie, Brian and Bill wouldn't have had any money by 1969. (Which they didn't, while Mick and Keith earned hundreds of thousands from royalties). Keith and Mick make sore much more than Ron and Charlie, just from royalties. Do you really think people would show up just to see Mick & Keith and a bunch of no name hired guns? Mick tried it and failed.
Mick AND Keith? Yes, they would.

Are they still calling themselves the Stones without Charlie and Ronnie? Then yes, I think they could still fill arenas. I'm not advocating that in the slightest, but I truly believe Mick and Keith could still bill themselves as the Stones with two additional hired guns and most fans would still flock to them.

Date: September 10, 2016 00:20

RollingFreak
And they were probably right. Sneaky and assholey, but probably right. That were they just to lay back and let Felder enjoy that part of Eagles Limited that he'd be getting way more of a free ride than he deserves. In the end it isn't like he writes the songs or did keep himself out there or the Eagles name all those years. He's key, but understandably benefits a lot from the Limited deal that he may not even be entitled too. In the end, Frey and Henley probably did deserve more, and there's no way for that to happen without at some point coming off as an a**hole.

Its a bit different with the Guns N Roses thing to me because the band did exist without those members and was a failure. Say what you want about the Eagles, but its not like Henley went off without them, got them back together and THEN asked for more money. It was a band that broke up and a band that got back together. I get why Axl Rose deserves more as the face and voice of that band, but it could be argued he did more harm to the band dragging that name through the mud all these years than Izzy did just staying away from the spotlight. Again, why that one is also a tricky situation. You didn't need Izzy for legitimacy (as is evidenced by the fact that everyone went to this tour and considered it legitimate without him), but you can't discount those song credits and riffs which are largely his even though Slash is the face of the band/brand. Thats where Felder had less of a leg IMO. He was there for the start of Eagles limited, but he didn't write songs AND wasn't a founding member. So in that case I see an argument. With Izzy, he wrote all the songs AND started the band. So I feel that accounts for a lot.
Great point. The fact that the tour was a roaring success PROVES that Izzy isn't essential to the band.

Now, die-hard music fans know how great Izzy is, but for the casual masses, if Axl and Slash are onstage, that's good enough for it to be called G'n'R.

Again, I'm talking about mass perception, not my personal feeling. I think Izzy SHOULD be there, but the fact the tour worked self-evidently proves that most fans don't care whether Izzy is part of the reunion or not.

Date: September 10, 2016 01:27

RollingFreak

The band was originally a four-way partnership with the original members, and they cut Felder in as a shareholder without hesitation. But he probably should have gotten a clue when Leadon's and Meisner's replacements were brought in as employees, not partners.

The writing was on the wall literally the year after Felder joined (when Walsh replaced Leadon)...Henley and Frey clearly weren't going to put up with a three-way partnership with Felder forever. They were a-holes about it indeed, but it was also just business, and, by the first reunion, a lot had changed since 1974.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 10, 2016 01:36

Egos, money, drugs and bad advice.
"You never give me your money.'
Only the lawyers win out.

Some apparant shining examples and exceptions to the rule:
U2
LED ZEPPELIN
QUEEN
ABBA
SPICE GIRLS

Date: September 10, 2016 01:46

jlowe
Egos, money, drugs and bad advice.
"You never give me your money.'
Only the lawyers win out.

Some apparant shining examples and exceptions to the rule:
U2
LED ZEPPELIN
QUEEN
ABBA
SPICE GIRLS

R.E.M. as well...especially with their songwriting partnership which always included all band members, no matter who actually wrote what.

As Peter Buck once said, "The songwriting money we share isn't necessarily for writing the songs...it's for sleeping on the floor for ten years while we toured, it's for the eight hours of rehearsal we used to do when we were making forty dollars a month."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2016 01:49

Pretty hard to get them all together naked
at the same time and in the same dressing room ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 10, 2016 01:52

keefriff99
I'm not advocating that in the slightest, but I truly believe Mick and Keith could still bill themselves as the Stones with two additional hired guns and most fans would still flock to them.

They might be able to fill seats, but I don't know if Mick and Keith themselves would consider the band to exist without Charlie. They are down to three out of six original members as it is. They certainly tried hard enough to persuade Bill not to leave, kept the door open for years in case he changed his mind, and never officially replaced him. I suspect that if Charlie decided he didn't want to do it anymore, that would be it for the Rolling Stones.

Date: September 10, 2016 01:57

Say what you want, but I highly doubt any of Paul McCartney's band members gets paid the same amount as him.

Date: September 10, 2016 02:31

blivet
keefriff99
I'm not advocating that in the slightest, but I truly believe Mick and Keith could still bill themselves as the Stones with two additional hired guns and most fans would still flock to them.

They might be able to fill seats, but I don't know if Mick and Keith themselves would consider the band to exist without Charlie. They are down to three out of six original members as it is. They certainly tried hard enough to persuade Bill not to leave, kept the door open for years in case he changed his mind, and never officially replaced him. I suspect that if Charlie decided he didn't want to do it anymore, that would be it for the Rolling Stones.
I NEVER said they would ever do it or would ever want to do it. I know they wouldn't do it, especially Keith.

My argument was simply that they COULD and remain popular, because to the majority of the casual public, Mick and Keith are the Stones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1407
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home