Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1982 Theatre Shows
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: August 16, 2016 22:38

Nobody ever talks much about these four shows that started the 1982 Euro Tour.

Are there bootlegs in circulation? Does anyone have a favorite?

Did anyone on here attend these shows? I'd love to hear about your experiences. How did you get tickets? What was the atmosphere like?

You hear so much about the Theatre Shows in 1978, 1995, and 2002 but rarely do I see much posted on here regarding these performances

Re: 1982 Theatre Shows
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 16, 2016 23:02

For Americans like me, give the locations and venues of these shows, please.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:16

24FPS
For Americans like me, give the locations and venues of these shows, please.

100 Club - London
Apollo Theater - Glasgow
Playhouse - Edinburgh
Capitol Theater - Aberdeen

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 17, 2016 05:02

As I understand, Glasgow and Aberdeen are in circulation, while 100 Club and Edinburgh are not. One of these is a very hot show, but I cannot recall which.

I also understand (from Bill Wyman's book) that other than Sir Morgan's Cove and Philly on 9.26.81, 100 Club is the only other time the band took a shot at Mona.

Someone told me long ago that there is a complete board recording of 100 Club.

There are rumors of other odd songs from these gigs, but there is no known Chantilly Lace from these.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: August 17, 2016 08:28

Greenblues
On May 30, 1982 the Rolling Stones played a surprise gig at the 100 Club, London billed as "Diz and the Doormen". I'm sure this may have been covered here before, but I'm still curious. Any impressions available here? Does any recording exist?

This post was started April 14, 2008 by Greenblues - title "Stones at the 100 Club (1982) - any memories?"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 08:33 by KingmanBarstow.

Date: August 17, 2016 08:34

stonesstein
As I understand, Glasgow and Aberdeen are in circulation, while 100 Club and Edinburgh are not. One of these is a very hot show, but I cannot recall which.

I also understand (from Bill Wyman's book) that other than Sir Morgan's Cove and Philly on 9.26.81, 100 Club is the only other time the band took a shot at Mona.

Someone told me long ago that there is a complete board recording of 100 Club.

There are rumors of other odd songs from these gigs, but there is no known Chantilly Lace from these.

Edinburgh was released on VGP-257 , The Godfatherecords G.R. 575 / 576 , RS 034 / 035 , and SODD 040 / 041.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 17, 2016 10:51

stonesstein

"Mona" was also played at the 2nd show of the tour in Philie (Sept. 26).

Date: August 17, 2016 10:52

dcba
stonesstein

"Mona" was also played at the 2nd show of the tour in Philie (Sept. 26).

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 17, 2016 10:57

Aberdeen is an excellent show.

From memory, it was unearthed after some detective work, after being debated about on a thread very similar to this one, approx. 7-8 years ago.

Date: August 17, 2016 11:15

Adrian-L

From memory, it was unearthed after some detective work, after being debated about on a thread very similar to this one, approx. 7-8 years ago.

Yeah, I remember downloading it back then. A very good show indeed.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: August 17, 2016 11:50

Glasgow was an amazing gig unfortunately have not heard of anything recorded in circulation.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 17, 2016 13:02

DandelionPowderman
Adrian-L

Yeah, I remember downloading it back then. A very good show indeed.

An epic thread - all 13 pages of it!
[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 17, 2016 13:37

thanks for finding it again.

Vintage IORR

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 17, 2016 16:24

Edinburgh is widely bootleged in quite great quality. I have the SODD edition with bonus DVDR of the 1981 tour movie Rocks Off, limited to 200 worldwide. If interested please contact me kaiser.vincenz@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 16:26 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: August 17, 2016 21:13

Edinburgh Playhouse 82 was my first Stones gig, and also the smallest venue I have seen them in. Over the years, another 19 gigs have followed, from Miami to Berlin but nothing can compete with the sheer excitement of seeing them in my hometown at the age of 17.

Tickets were very cheap - £6 if I recall correctly. I got one for the balcony from a tout in advance, and then just prior to the show swapped, with payment, for a ticket in the stalls approximately 10 rows from the stage. £40 was what I paid in total, which sounds reasonable nowadays but was a big mark up from the face value.

Billy Connolly introduced them, as Take the A Train was playing, and Keef emerged playing the Under My Thumb riff thunderously loud. There was a lot of alcohol flowing beforehand, and the crowd was really noisy and wild. I recall that Keef's guitar was incredibly loud throughout, even on Time Is On My Side and YCAWGWYW. During Let Me Go Mick vanished from stage only to reappear in the front row of the balcony, high-fiving astonished fans as he passed. Later he had some banter with the crowd about the Scotland v England football match taking place the following day, and the theatre broke into a spontaneous rendition of Flower of Scotland, to much mugging and jesting from Mick, Keef and Ron.

JJ Flash was speeded up towards the end of the song, and I can recall the crowd going absolutely mental. Satisfaction was the encore, played equally fast, and I left the theatre soaked in sweat with a big, daft, happy grin on my face. Hooked for life.

I've subsequently seen some great Stones gigs but nothing can compare to the first time in such an intimate venue (approx 3,000). I bought a bootleg on cassette later but the sound was not great, and Keef's guitar not so dominant.

Great memories of an amazing night, and the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

Date: August 18, 2016 09:50

great memories- thanks for sharing them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home