Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stadiums or smaller venues? - Best places to see the Stones
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 9, 2016 16:42

What's your favorite type of venue to see the Stones (or any favorite band)? I'm probably in the minority here but I actually prefer the huge stadiums. It was a thrill in 1981 to be at the forefront of an estimated 100,000 people at JFK in Philly. (I know it was not a great show but that's another thread!) Even when you're far away, I find it thrilling to be towards the back and take in the whole spectacle of the event; seeing scrawny little Keith Richards bring 60,000 people to their feet with a single chord or riff. There's such a tangible excitement in the air at these big concerts that I actually prefer them to smaller intimate venues. It's just an indescribable vibe. How about everyone else?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Stadiums or smaller venues? - Best places to see the Stones
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 9, 2016 18:55

Been to stadium shows twice. Realized I don't like mega-crowds and much prefer smaller venues where I can enjoy seeing the band and actually hearing something that sounds like music.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 9, 2016 19:11

much prefer smaller venues

Date: August 9, 2016 19:14

I would prefer stadium shows over an indoor arena if the set lists were the same .... provided good seating and weather.

The 20,000 seat indoor basketball arenas tend to have a "boomy" sound.

The problem is that most of the Stones stadium shows have had less diverse set lists with the '90's U.S. stadium shows,in large part,being an exception with more set list diversity.

Theatres and clubs are the best but,those types of shows are rare.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 9, 2016 19:14

Indoor arenas. Imho the best gigs of the 2002/2003 "3 shows in 3 venues" were in arenas not in clubs.

Date: August 9, 2016 19:32

dmay
Been to stadium shows twice. Realized I don't like mega-crowds and much prefer smaller venues where I can enjoy seeing the band and actually hearing something that sounds like music.

I've seen the Stones in stadiums six times and with the only exception of 1978, I was treated to very good sound each time. I'm sure that has something to do with luck of where you end up. The sound was top notch especially at the shows I saw of Steel Wheels, Licks, and A Bigger Bang. In 1978, being far away and at an odd angle from the stage, it was pretty muddy but sound technology has come a long way since 1978...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 9, 2016 19:44

What if they set themselves up in a club in New York or London, did three shows a week for three months, and sold the rights to HBO or Netflix or somebody.
There could be some backstage stuff, lots of guest players and singers, online votes, could play an entire album some nights.
Would that generate more income than traveling around the country?
Would be easier and have less expenses.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 9, 2016 19:45

Hmmm... tough question.
Small venue I suppose.

Here's another question.
"Which would you rather be: poor and sick, or rich and healthy?"

Date: August 9, 2016 19:48

Stadiums.... but you need a great seat.

Like 15 rows back in the center that way you can take it all in.

Date: August 9, 2016 19:50

I can totally understand why most people would prefer a small venue, but for me it's about more than just seeing the Stones; a huge stadium show is an EVENT! Even if you're far from the stage, I find it thrilling just to take in the whole spectacle that unfolds, and with video screens you can see the band from any point you are. It's just the vibe of the huge shows that gets my blood pumping. There's nothing like the excitement of 60,000 or more people digging the Stones. For me it's a big, huge buzz, but I guess that's just me...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2016 20:01

Seeing them in a gigantic stadium amidst 100,000 fans is quite the experience indeed most of the time.
On the other hand, seeing them in a small club/theater with apprx. 1500-3,000 is an amazing experience in itself always.
Finally, seeing them in an indoor arena with apprx. 20,000 others is usually always amazing.

Can't say I have an absolute preference - but the most memorable were my fist shows at L.A. Coliseum in 1981, Vredenburg, Utrecht, 2003,and Staples II with Mick Taylor several years ago (stadium, arena, and theater).
If I could only see them once and was forced to choose one type of venue based on personal experience, it would have to be small club/theater due to the intimacy and all around vibe.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: August 9, 2016 20:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
I can totally understand why most people would prefer a small venue, but for me it's about more than just seeing the Stones; a huge stadium show is an EVENT! Even if you're far from the stage, I find it thrilling just to take in the whole spectacle that unfolds, and with video screens you can see the band from any point you are. It's just the vibe of the huge shows that gets my blood pumping. There's nothing like the excitement of 60,000 or more people digging the Stones. For me it's a big, huge buzz, but I guess that's just me...

It's not just you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2016 20:16

jumpontopofmebaby
Stadiums.... but you need a great seat.

Like 15 rows back in the center that way you can take it all in.

Stadium is indeed nice IF you have a seat up front, like I did for Dodger Stadium in 2006. When they came out for the B-stage they were feet away with eye contact.

But, arena is also great, if the venue is nice. I saw them at Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim in 1999 with excellent first row loge seats.

And I've seen them in stadiums and arenas with sucky seats and yes, it sucked.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 9, 2016 21:21

I've never seen The Stones in an intimate setting... But that doesn't mean that having a great seat or view in a bigger venue won't be intimate when they bring it in your face!

I make it a point at any gig where I'm down front or in a good spot to do at least one slow 360 to take in the full environment... Truly a spectacle with The Stones, whether you're wading through 490,000 at SARSfest in Toronto, or gazing back at The Pagoda in Indianapolis... Those moments in time are fleeting!

They're all special in their own way I think!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 9, 2016 21:25

HonkeyTonkFlash
What's your favorite type of venue to see the Stones (or any favorite band)? I'm probably in the minority here but I actually prefer the huge stadiums. It was a thrill in 1981 to be at the forefront of an estimated 100,000 people at JFK in Philly. (I know it was not a great show but that's another thread!) Even when you're far away, I find it thrilling to be towards the back and take in the whole spectacle of the event; seeing scrawny little Keith Richards bring 60,000 people to their feet with a single chord or riff. There's such a tangible excitement in the air at these big concerts that I actually prefer them to smaller intimate venues. It's just an indescribable vibe. How about everyone else?

Saw their rehearsal at the Wiltern. Can't beat that

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 9, 2016 21:48

Radio City Music Hall

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: August 9, 2016 22:48

It's a tough one. Generally I'm not a huge fan of stadium shows but then the bigger the venue, the cheaper the tickets (generally) so the best seats at a bigger show will be cheaper than the best seats at a smaller show.

I've seen the Stones twice - once at Twickenham in 2006 and then Hyde Park in 2013 and I think the Hyde Park show was better, as it was GA I got near the front so really felt I was part of the event and I loved the fact that it was pretty stripped back show wise - the music really spoke for itself.

That being said I saw AC/DC (or should that be AXL/DC?) at the Olympic/West Ham stadium in Stratford a couple of months ago and it didn't seem as big as Wembley, Twickenham etc. so I'd love to see the Stones there.

I think the main difference is that at the back of an arena you still feel part of the event whereas the same can't be said for stadium shows. In my experience anyway. The ideal scenario for me would be a return to Hyde Park or a show in Stratford as far as London goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-09 22:49 by Seb91.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: August 9, 2016 22:54

I definitely prefer a stadium show rather than indoor arenas.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: August 10, 2016 00:48

For me after seeing about 30 shows - outdoor stadiums. Sound is better with no echo effects and I've loved the amazing staging since Steel Wheels

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 10, 2016 01:36

To me, it doesn't matter, as long as I get to go.

Date: August 10, 2016 03:04

Cool....I'm kind of surprised to see how many others prefer stadiums, as I do. As was mentioned, especially since 1989, the staging is a spectacle in itself. However, a real spectacle before the Steel Wheels Tour was they massive crowds that packed some of the stadiums in 1981. Not sure if all the stadiums could hold this many people, but the crowd at JFK Stadium was estimated to be around 100,000!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-10 04:45 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 10, 2016 06:02

as long as the band is on, all size shows are great. Had front row at Astoria in 2003 and was in awe. 2 nights later they were even better musically at wembley arena. Some of the stadium shows have been great too.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 10, 2016 06:30

Sound was good at MSG. Horrible at Hartford Civic Center if you had a side seat, muddy and bass heavy. The point is some arenas are much better than others. Never saw them in a stadium.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 10, 2016 09:31

Sitting on the edge of the stage at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney on the Licks tour was absolutely unsurpassable.

Though front row in Adelaide in 2014 was sensational, but we were, hard to believe this is a complaint!..... too close to the stage to see the fireworks part of the event!! Up close is best no matter in what type of venue.

Rod

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 10, 2016 12:10

It depends of what kind of my Stones I´m in the mood for.

1. Biggest Act in the World-Stones = Definetely Stadium

Nou Camp/Estadio Olympico Barcelona (Best crowd in Europe)

2. Greatest Rock´n Roll Band of the World = Defintely Arenas

Madison Square Garden (nor more words needed)

3. Still so much there from the eraly days-Stones = Definetely Theatres/Clubs

L'Olympia, Paris (stunning,superb sound aka Shine A Light on Stripped ´96 version)

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 10, 2016 12:19

If someone hypotetically gave me a choice "you can see one Stones show in the front row seat either in stadium or in a club" I would choose a club, because it's so rare, setlists are different and the band would be so close to me.

But realistically speaking, chances of seeing Stones in the club are slim, because they don't do a lot of clubs, tickets are expensive and hard to get, so I would gladly see them in the stadium/arena provided I'd get decent seats.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 10, 2016 12:51

Always a smaller indoor venue but there was a time in the 90s when seeing the Stones in a stadium was pretty exciting.

I can remember Wembley for both the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungles shows in 1990, Voodoo Lounge in 95 and also Bridges To Babylon in 99. In those days they would still vary songs on each tour and on a fine night, with the wind in your hair and the dark pulling it it could be pretty spectacular.

Unfortunately the set list has remained the same now since 2012 and everybody knows what to expect.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 10, 2016 13:47

The smaller the better, but any venue will do.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 10, 2016 14:13

Saw the band in smaller venues Ahoy, 2002, great concert and paris, Bercy, dont remember what year. Those venues were great.

Also de Kuip, Rotterdam was great, 1982 and some other years. really really dont like Amsterdam arena, with a 80.000 capacity.

Hope they will play amsterdam ziggodome next year.

Jeroen

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 10, 2016 14:23

I've seen the Stones in all sizes of arenas from 1500 seat club to football stadium. club & arena best for sound etc. on the licks tour i saw them @ the hard rock in vegas, then the mgm grand the next night for sticky fingers night. it was close but playing wise they were actually better @ mgm. that was a magical show, probably best ever for me except maybe my first show on the some girls tour. i saw a really good 1 in an arena on the bridges to babylon tour in portland. mick jagger was about 10-15 feet away from me at the start of the show. its too bad the stones aren't playing the mgm grand in vegas this time. its small for an arena with good sound. not designed for basketball & hockey. i couldn't justify spending $750 for a seat in the upper level far away from the stage this time. i spent that for a good seat on the 50th anniversary tour & for the club show. sadly, they priced me out this time.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home