Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stadiums or smaller venues? - Best places to see the Stones
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 10, 2016 14:25

corriecas
Saw the band in smaller venues Ahoy, 2002, great concert and paris, Bercy, dont remember what year.

Ahoy was in 2003, Bercy as well.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 10, 2016 14:51

erikjjf
corriecas
Saw the band in smaller venues Ahoy, 2002, great concert and paris, Bercy, dont remember what year.

Thanks erik!
Jeroen

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 11, 2016 12:04

erikjjf
corriecas

And they were both great shows. I've seen shows at 2,000 and 3,000 seaters (Astoria, Glasgow Apollo) and up to 100,000 at Knebworth. Stadium gigs can be great if the weather's OK and you're near enough the stage to see the action.

Personally, however, I've been to enough stadium shows. The Stones are probably the only band I would still go to see in such a venue, but I don't like it if there's fixed seating (can't see the point) and I don't like the time it takes to go for a pee, etc., if GA. I don't particularly like the prices being charged for a decent arena seat, but would still prefer indoors these days.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 11, 2016 12:25

No one's mentioned the other option: in the middle of a f'k'n field or whatever this is,
as the Mick referred (affectionately I'm sure) to the venue at one show I was at.
I can't think of a *lot* of advantages to that ... but this happened in (basically) a f'k'n field,
and walking out of there across the soft grass amid the stunned thousands after the show was like a dream sequence

- Warsaw July 25th 2007 (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 11, 2016 13:41

The Stones at Malieveld, the hague, 1998. Lots of @#$%& Rain, huge crowd. Great atmosphere and energy. Great Great Show.
Jeroen

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:36

corriecas
The Stones at Malieveld, the hague, 1998. Lots of @#$%& Rain, huge crowd. Great atmosphere and energy. Great Great Show.
Jeroen

Was at that one too and, yes, it was great and, yes, I would have enjoyed it more if the rain had stayed off.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2016 17:32

Certainly there's a certain attitude of a band that goes with the sizes of the venues but that's probably gotten hard to distinguish with video screens these days.

I've only seen the Stones in US football stadiums. It's really something to witness the crowd. And with the Stones (as well as U2), you get the size of the show. STEEL WHEELS was jaw dropping. VOODOO LOUNGE was jaw dropping.

I saw U2's POPMART and that was jaw dropping. Big shows are fun. The size of everything is fantastic.

But it seems that perhaps a US hockey arena would be the better size venue.

Of course a club would be fantastic.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:11

GasLightStreet
Certainly there's a certain attitude of a band that goes with the sizes of the venues but that's probably gotten hard to distinguish with video screens these days.

I've only seen the Stones in US football stadiums. It's really something to witness the crowd. And with the Stones (as well as U2), you get the size of the show. STEEL WHEELS was jaw dropping. VOODOO LOUNGE was jaw dropping.

I saw U2's POPMART and that was jaw dropping. Big shows are fun. The size of everything is fantastic.

Indeed, the Stones spectacle in a big stadium can be jaw dropping. However, I may also be biased as I've never seen the Stones anywhere other than in stadiums. I'm sure seeing them up close in a small venue is jaw dropping in a different sort of way!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: August 13, 2016 00:13

This topic brings up a matter of curiosity. Was the 1972 tour the first tour to include stadiums? I don't think there were too many in 72, but I think they did some. 75 was probably the first tour to feature a lot of stadiums in addition to the arenas.

Date: August 13, 2016 17:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

Indeed, the Stones spectacle in a big stadium can be jaw dropping. However, I may also be biased as I've never seen the Stones anywhere other than in stadiums. I'm sure seeing them up close in a small venue is jaw dropping in a different sort of way!

I've seen other artists in ampitheaters, halls and clubs and those were fantastic, some shows with no video, some with minimal background video and some shots of band members. So yeah of course it would be great to see the Stones in a club (although maybe that should be in past tense). But the stadium spectacle is a great experience. Although I've only gotten to enjoy the BRIDGES tour (and onward) on video, that stage looked incredible - way better than SW and VL's stages. The BANG stage looked ridiculous. LICKS and the 2012-16 stages seem to be way more at ease - there's still the element of spectacle but it's more geared to being simple. SW looked like a factory but then there was a bit of goofy sheen to it that, once the stage lights came up, looked a bit odd with those bent stands for lights. VOODOO was better and BRIDGES was the best (especially the bridge!).

U2's had some really cool stages - ZOO TV was maniacal and 360 was brilliant.

Date: August 13, 2016 17:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
This topic brings up a matter of curiosity. Was the 1972 tour the first tour to include stadiums? I don't think there were too many in 72, but I think they did some. 75 was probably the first tour to feature a lot of stadiums in addition to the arenas.

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium and Akron, Ohio's Rubber Bowl were the only football stadiums they played on that tour that I could find, a first as far as I believe for the Stones.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 13, 2016 17:58

GasLightStreet

Voodoo lounge was certainly jaw dropping when you felt the heat from those gas burners in that giant cobra winking smiley

Date: August 13, 2016 18:21

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium and Akron, Ohio's Rubber Bowl were the only football stadiums they played on that tour that I could find, a first as far as I believe for the Stones.

Thanks - that's kind of what I thought.

Date: August 13, 2016 19:45

Spud
GasLightStreet

Voodoo lounge was certainly jaw dropping when you felt the heat from those gas burners in that giant cobra winking smiley

I felt it really good for Start Me Up in 1989! Goddamn that was loud.

Date: August 13, 2016 20:20

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash

In 1970 they played stadiums in Stockholm and Helsinki.

Date: August 13, 2016 20:49

Wow. They did! I've never read anything about them playing stadiums until 1975 for some reason. Must've been a bigger deal in 1975? I dunno.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 13, 2016 20:50

Stadium is an awesome experience for me...IF I CAN GET IN THE FIRST 5 ROWS ON THE FLOOR!

Otherwise, a smaller venue or arena is better for me, better sound, controlled climate, and a choice of seating where I can get close enough to see how the band interact's with each other, a chance to perhaps catch their eye.....

Date: August 13, 2016 20:52

GasLightStreet
Wow. They did! I've never read anything about them playing stadiums until 1975 for some reason. Must've been a bigger deal in 1975? I dunno.

I think 1975 was the first tour to routinely include stadiums. Then 1978 was lots of stadiums and 1981 was stadiums at almost every city in addition to arena shows. Then of course stadiums became the rule in later tours. Did they even do any arenas on Steels Wheels or Voodoo Lounge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 20:57 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: August 13, 2016 20:53

erikjjf
GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash

In 1970 they played stadiums in Stockholm and Helsinki.

Cool, I never knew that!

Date: August 13, 2016 21:06

1989 North American tour they played Alpine Valley, which is an ampitheater and the Atlantic City Convention Center so, not stadiums but not arenas either.

1994 they played the Las Vegas, Nevada, MGM Grand Garden which is essentially an arena, it holds 16,000 some people. All the rest were either NFL or NCAA football stadiums and the odd baseball stadium.

Date: August 13, 2016 21:27

GasLightStreet
1989 North American tour they played Alpine Valley, which is an ampitheater and the Atlantic City Convention Center so, not stadiums but not arenas either.

1994 they played the Las Vegas, Nevada, MGM Grand Garden which is essentially an arena, it holds 16,000 some people. All the rest were either NFL or NCAA football stadiums and the odd baseball stadium.

Yeah - I thought there were some exceptions to the rule, but 1989 and 1994 were for the most part stadium tours...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2016 21:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
Did they even do any arenas on Steels Wheels or Voodoo Lounge?

Yes if you count the enormous Tokyo Dome as an arena...
The 1989 PPV show did take place in an arena though (Boardwalk Hall which can accomodate 14000 ppl).

Date: August 13, 2016 22:42

I suppose "arena" is a bit vague, which is designated as a sports facility for the NHL and NBA. The numbers vary but it seems that most arenas average, say, 19,000 people.

Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall, where the Stones played in 1989, holds 10,500 for hockey games and 14,770 for concerts. It's technically not an arena.

Date: August 13, 2016 23:04

GasLightStreet
I suppose "arena" is a bit vague, which is designated as a sports facility for the NHL and NBA. The numbers vary but it seems that most arenas average, say, 19,000 people.

Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall, where the Stones played in 1989, holds 10,500 for hockey games and 14,770 for concerts. It's technically not an arena.

Well, not an arena, but for the purposes of this discussion it's definitely not a stadium! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 13, 2016 23:06

Indeed!

Date: August 13, 2016 23:20

dcba
HonkeyTonkFlash
Did they even do any arenas on Steels Wheels or Voodoo Lounge?

Yes if you count the enormous Tokyo Dome as an arena...

It's an indoor stadium.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 14, 2016 19:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

I think 1975 was the first tour to routinely include stadiums. Then 1978 was lots of stadiums and 1981 was stadiums at almost every city in addition to arena shows. Then of course stadiums became the rule in later tours. Did they even do any arenas on Steels Wheels or Voodoo Lounge?

1978 was just six stadium shows.

Date: August 14, 2016 20:38

Monsoon Ragoon

Nine:

Philadelphia
Cleveland
Buffalo
Chicago
New Orleans
Boulder
Anaheim x2
Oakland

Date: August 15, 2016 00:28

Wembley Stadium, the new one, holds 90,000 for football games and is the second largest stadium in Europe, the largest in the UK.

For music shows they can get over 90,000 according to the Wiki page (Green Day, of all bands). U2 could fit only 82,000 for their 360 shows there.

The Stones played the old and demolished Wembley Stadium in 1999 and have not played in the new Wembley Stadium since it was finished in 2007.

Is that weird that they haven't played there but have played Twickenham, up to 2006 anyway, instead?

Date: August 15, 2016 02:57

erikjjf
Monsoon Ragoon

Nine:

Philadelphia
Cleveland
Buffalo
Chicago
New Orleans
Boulder
Anaheim x2
Oakland

And how many smaller shows? Weren't there still more stadiums than smaller venues?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home