Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Imagining the Rolling Stones Without Keith Richards
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 2, 2011 23:07

Braincapers you are indeed SPOT ON!!!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 2, 2011 23:40

Keith said he actually liked not being on MOONLIGHT MILE (which he liked) because after it was recorded he could listen to it with pure objectivity.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 3, 2011 03:46

stupidguy2
I think part of this whole Keith worship BS is a reaction, a backlash from that.
It's just stupid. But Mick has always been the class act.

Stupidguy2 , you want class acts try Las Vegas. The Rolling Stones are about workings man's (and woman's) , slightly less-than-classy but KiCKAZZ Rock and Roll. Blue Army stuff. Chicks in white halters and tight jeans. And sometimes about the slightly less than classy lifestyles than accompany the real deals. I think you will find most Keith worshipers actually love Mick as well. He is certainly a more complex subject to write about. peace.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 3, 2011 03:55

“Moonlight Mile” and “Sway” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts that he wrote both with the guitarist Mick Taylor; in Life, p. 283, Mr. Richards concedes that “Moonlight Mile was all Mick [Jagger]’s.”)

Haven't seen any credits to Mick Taylor for co-writing these songs with Jagger!
How come? Was Jagger too greedy back then already?
He's @#$%& ego and has always been! Still he's a good performer!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 3, 2011 04:00

"Shine A Light" is what the Stones sound like without Keith & Charlie, arguably the basis of the classic "Stones" sound. Still a fantastic song & performance.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 3, 2011 06:58

Sure, there have been plenty of times when Jagger carried the ball for the Rolling Stones (mostly on their lesser albums), but the band is at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 3, 2011 07:10

2 peas in a pod sometimes they blow smoke.....sometimes...many times.. they blow out magic....and their harmonies are electric...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 3, 2011 07:24

HERE COMES THE SUN did not have John Lennon on it (he was recovering in the hospital from a car accident). When the Beatles songs were finally put on iTunes last year, HERE COMES THE SUN was the most downloaded Beatles song. Who needs John Lennon?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 3, 2011 10:23

ab
Sure, there have been plenty of times when Jagger carried the ball for the Rolling Stones (mostly on their lesser albums), but the band is at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized.

I would not say that Sticky Fingers or Some Girls are their "lesser" albums but still you 100% spot on when you say "Stones at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized"
thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 3, 2011 17:51

proudmary
HopeYouGuessMyName
Rolling Stones withour Keith Richards?
What's to imagine?

She's the Boss

Ha-ha! What an irony! Someone who chose a nickname HopeYouGuessMyName laughs at Jagger and his contribution to the Stones! You can't be so naive,can you?

Well naming yourself after the guitar solo in the same song would be weird.
Da na nalanaaa.... da na nalanana na naaaaaaaaa

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: September 3, 2011 18:00

stupidguy2
proudmary
stupidguy2
I love the article. The guy is just making the same case many IORRers have been making since Life came out....

This article just shows that not only some on this board are tired of the constant mantra that the Stones are Keith Richards and his riffs.
In the beginning there was a period of Mick's reign(say first 25 years), and as a reaction to it began the period of Keith's reign.
Now antagonism against Keith appears . People do not like unipolar world, they always look for an alternative. they might come to a compromise one day - that's Stones are not either Mick or Keith but rather both of them.
But it's too early to speak about it, because opposition to 20-year Keith's dominance is too strong for now

True,
Jagger was the King from about 65-81 and I think part of this whole Keith worship BS is a reaction, a backlash from that.
It's just stupid. But Mick has always been the class act.

Jagger was the king until people started comparing Shes The Boss with Talk is Cheap. People didn't understand that Jagger was trying to get a different sound and not be the Rolling Stones.

Date: September 3, 2011 21:03

proudmary
HopeYouGuessMyName
Rolling Stones withour Keith Richards?
What's to imagine?

She's the Boss

Ha-ha! What an irony! Someone who chose a nickname HopeYouGuessMyName laughs at Jagger and his contribution to the Stones! You can't be so naive,can you?

C'mon....lighten up.... It should be pretty obvious that anyone on this board loves the stones, jagger, richards, et al... and that includes me... Believe me, I purchased each of Jagger's albums on the day that they were released... and largely like them... how could I not.... how could any stones fan not like them.... they sure sound like the same singer who sings stones music... My original comment was just a lighthearted joke.... Was that really not that obvious?

Date: September 3, 2011 22:10

Fan Since 1964

“Moonlight Mile” and “Sway” (Wenner interview: Mr. Jagger asserts that he wrote both with the guitarist Mick Taylor; in Life, p. 283, Mr. Richards concedes that “Moonlight Mile was all Mick [Jagger]’s.”)

Haven't seen any credits to Mick Taylor for co-writing these songs with Jagger!
How come? Was Jagger too greedy back then already?
He's @#$%& ego and has always been! Still he's a good performer!

I also feel Mick Taylor should have been given more writing credit BUT to defend MJ's position a bit you'd have to understand the the ONLY thing "copyright-able" about a song is 1. The VOCAL melody 2. The words. Really. Look it up. All the fancy guitar playing in the world falls well out of the realm this small requirement. Performances are copyright-able but that is another subject. When MT wrote words and vocal melodies , ie) Sway, he got appropriate credit. And I believe MT even claims he was given credit where he deserved it. It was the lack of the Stones in taking on songs actually written by MT (where he would have received proper credit) that gave him a bad feeling. Its awfully hard to actually pick out who came up with the melody anyway. I suspect MT's guitar melodies on moonlight mile ispired and were "stolen" by MJ but it could just as easily been the other way around. MJ is a FINE guitar player too. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 02:08 by Naturalust.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 3, 2011 22:28

proudmary
ab

I would not say that Sticky Fingers or Some Girls are their "lesser" albums but still you 100% spot on when you say "Stones at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized"
thumbs up

Of course, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls are among their best. The lesser albums I had in mind were Goat's Head Soup, It's Only RnR, and Black and Blue.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 3, 2011 22:35

ab
proudmary
ab

thumbs up

Of course, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls are among their best. The lesser albums I had in mind were Goat's Head Soup, It's Only RnR, and Black and Blue.

You know, I also thought that Goat's Head Soup is not as strong as the previous four albums or Some Girls , but for now I like it more and more. I think it's among their best works.

Date: September 3, 2011 22:48

proudmary
ab
proudmary
ab

thumbs up

You know, I also thought that Goat's Head Soup is not as strong as the previous four albums or Some Girls , but for now I like it more and more. I think it's among their best works.

I have to admit, I love Goat's Head Soup too! It's the further reclusive left overs from Sticky Fingers and they are linked and locked together in my mind as to be inseparable. There seems to be an "age first heard" correlation between peoples favorite Stones record. Probably the combination of music and hormones that makes permanent synaptic pathways in our brains more readily; and these pathways link to the real pleasure zones, eventually. peace.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 3, 2011 23:24

ab
the band is at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized.

Nobody can argue with that.
At least in my opinion. There will probably someone who will disagree LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 4, 2011 02:18

Rolling Hansie
ab
the band is at their best when Jagger and Richards are both fully present and energized.

Nobody can argue with that.
At least in my opinion. There will probably someone who will disagree LOL

Jagger mentions somewhere on the Time is on our Side site that there was a time when they were taking the SAME drugs, fueled up and energized as a team. Hard to separate that fact from the killer tunes they were penning and performing at the time. Fully present they probably weren't, so OK RH , I'll argue that point. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 4, 2011 10:16

I guess it would be possible for the Stones to stage a somewhat successful tour without Keith if he were unavailable for health reasons. But there is absolutely no way for a Rolling Stones album of new songs without any input from Keith. That just would not be the Stones.
Ron could take over the 2 song set for Mick's breather break. The songs he would sing during that are a big question mark, however, because he basically hasn't got any yet which he sings with the Stones. "Pretty Beat Up" maybe?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 4, 2011 11:13

Naturalust
so OK RH , I'll argue that point

smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: September 4, 2011 12:58

Yes without Keef there wouldn't have been the Stones that the world knows. However that is ALL in the past! If the Stones want to go off with a last GOOD album and tour it is ESSENTIAL to replace disfunctional Keith by some one else. Woody and Taylor are ready, add Dick Taylor for the authentic original Stones sound and they are ready to roll. YES I CAN IMAGINE A STONES WITHOUT KEITH NOW, BUT NOT IN THE PAST.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:35

Let me put it this way. If Brain would have left the Stones in 1962 or 1963 there would have been no Rolling Stones, the band would have stopped right there. If Keith would have quite in 1962 or 1963 he would have been replaced and the Stones would just have continued Keith was totally expandable at that time (probarly Dick Taylor would have come back). One could argue that it was actually Andrew Loog Oldham that made Keith. Even so when Andrew was at the steering wheel if Keith would have dropped out than Andrew would have pushed the band forward with a replacement, no doubt about it. So in those early years the Stones would have continued without Keith, it would have been not the same band as it had developed itself with Keith's pivotal input over the following years, but it would have continued. Ofcourse there is no discussion about Keith's riff mastership and brilliant songwritting plus his image that was pivotal for the Stones "greatest years" from 1966 till let's say 1972. But after that period was Keith really so important and pivotal music wise? He made the Stones in the 60's and 70's true and no arguement there, but that's exactly the point, EVERYTHING has it's timing and Keith had it's time...long long ago. Now he has become block of cement on the remaining (and had been on the ex-Stones members) legs, they are ready, Taylor appears to be ready even Wyman loves to play with Taylor and Wood and Watts. It is obvious and clear the only one out of time and out of synch and has been for the last few years is Keith. If the remaining Stones (joined with the ex-Stones) are coming to get together to surprise us all again it WILL be and CAN only be without Keith. It is time for you to wake up to the reality and support the only obtion left for a last Stones breath of life. And let's face it who wouldn't want to see Jagger, Watts, Woody, Wyman, Mick Taylor and for the authentic original Stones sound even Dick Taylor together on stage and on record, and how could anyone deny this gathering of musicians being called the Rolling Stones, for that is what they are together; the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: September 4, 2011 15:44

As far as songwriting credits go i have never seen any say that Billy preston did not have a big hand in helping shape Miss You except of course the actual credits

Date: September 4, 2011 21:33

charliesgood
As far as songwriting credits go i have never seen any say that Billy preston did not have a big hand in helping shape Miss You except of course the actual credits

He wrote the bass line per KR's Life book, on clav probably. Very important to you and I and the feel of the song but songwriting credit is legally limited to the words and the vocal melody, in the USA anyway. Neither of these two were likely penned by the late great Billy Preston. As we say, thanks on the liner notes does not the bills pay. peace.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 4, 2011 21:56

Naturalust
charliesgood

He wrote the bass line per KR's Life book, on clav probably. Very important to you and I and the feel of the song but songwriting credit is legally limited to the words and the vocal melody, in the USA anyway. Neither of these two were likely penned by the late great Billy Preston. As we say, thanks on the liner notes does not the bills pay. peace.

Very intersting point Naturalust, I have always wondered how Mick and Keith could "feel OK" about not giving any song royalties to Charlie or anyone else. I know that issue has caused much tension in (broken up) other bands (for instance when the "other Go-Gos band members found out that only whats-her-name got money from song residuals, they broke up the band (I forget the details/names, but royalties was the issue)(I saw an interview with them, and the girls who got nothing were livid, saying "We all wrote those songs in the studio together)... it is kind of a sad part of the business.... which is one reason I always had respect for VanHalen, if you look at ANY VanHalen LP, EVERY song written by them has all 4 names written out on it. That is a good idea. (and I am well aware that some IORR member hate VH, so there is no need to chime in regarding that)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 21:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 4, 2011 22:28

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
charliesgood

Very intersting point Naturalust, I have always wondered how Mick and Keith could "feel OK" about not giving any song royalties to Charlie or anyone else. I know that issue has caused much tension in (broken up) other bands (for instance when the "other Go-Gos band members found out that only whats-her-name got money from song residuals, they broke up the band (I forget the details/names, but royalties was the issue)(I saw an interview with them, and the girls who got nothing were livid, saying "We all wrote those songs in the studio together)... it is kind of a sad part of the business.... which is one reason I always had respect for VanHalen, if you look at ANY VanHalen LP, EVERY song written by them has all 4 names written out on it. That is a good idea. (and I am well aware that some IORR member hate VH, so there is no need to chime in regarding that)

OFF TOPIC WARNING:
Hey I don't mind chiming in with a couple VH and Go Go stories. Van Halen: It's 1978, I'm listening mostly to Hendrix the Stones and Bob Marley , a geek friend comes over and begs me repeatly to take him 100+ miles to the VH show. He's got tickets in front. I'm like "who the fvck is VH, go home!". He is so persistent that I end up stealing the 1950's ford maintenance truck from the apt complex I sometimes worked at and drove to the venue in the Stockyards of Kansas City Missouri. Had to hold the stickshift in 3rd gear with all my might to keep it from popping out and allow us to get to near highway speeds . We had 17th row or something. EVH came out and from the second note my jaw was on the floor. Just @#$%& amazing! I was a guitar player and this was too much. I was devestated. Spent years learning 3-note per string scales at lightening speed and playing beat up Fenders. Changed my world. Don't like VH as a band per se but I loved EVH's guitar playing and his freshness, inventiveness and general fearlessness on the fretboard. He Rocks!

Go Go's - that's me windsurfing in the background of one of their music videos, Jane W. saw me and asked when they were filming it onthe Big Island of Hawaii. I'm not sure what song it is even, not a go go fan but I remember Dolphins were involved. Didn't get paid any money but other favors were involved. "It's a location, not a vacation!" was their mantra....right! Fun times at the Royal Wiakaloan on the Kona coast that week.. peace.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home