Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Having a Debate: A New Disc vs. A Stones Mastered Vaults Disc
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 31, 2011 05:00

So the "discovery" of the "new" Exile material started a debate between friends who were bored at work. I was saying that I would rather have the Stones release a disc of "vaulted" material , like they did with the Exile Bonus Tracks vs. a disc of newly written material.

I personally wouuld perfer a vaults disc of unreleased material from say 68-79. I would love to hear what is missing out there. There is some stuff listed on NICOS site I would love to hear. I mean....."Hold On, I'm Comin"?

What are your thoughts on this? Vaulted vs. newly written..

Re: Having a Debate: A New Disc vs. A Stones Mastered Vaults Disc
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 31, 2011 05:23

VAULTED.

Do you mean strictly vaults or finished ala Exile Rarities? I'm OK with that but certainly gimme the vaults over anything new.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 31, 2011 05:51

I like to hear their "Self Covers."
Self Cover is Japanglish, I guess.
How do you say in English? Remake album?

Anyway,
if they play Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers in the studio and record them in the same order as they were before at this moment, it might be fascinating.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2011 06:26

Toru A

Anyway,
if they play Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers in the studio and record them in the same order as they were before at this moment, it might be fascinating.

A very cool idea that will sadly never happen. Mick is a bit loathe to revisit the past as it is. I'd love just a concert devoted to an album or two, ie an EXILE show, or a Beggar's Banquet/Let It Bleed show, that they'd then release as a live disc.

One can only imagine the possibilities that aren't even explored.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 31, 2011 07:27

treaclefingers
Toru A

Anyway,

A very cool idea that will sadly never happen. Mick is a bit loathe to revisit the past as it is. I'd love just a concert devoted to an album or two, ie an EXILE show, or a Beggar's Banquet/Let It Bleed show, that they'd then release as a live disc.

I don't want studio live like Stripped.
I want to hear newly studio remake like "Beggars's Banquet Revisited" or "Let It Bleed Revisited."
Thinking that they have great potential in the market, Mick would jump on top of the idea.winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2011 07:39

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A

Anyway,

I don't want studio live like Stripped.
I want to hear newly studio remake like "Beggars's Banquet Revisited" or "Let It Bleed Revisited."
Thinking that they have great potential in the market, Mick would jump on top of the idea.winking smiley

I'm behind that idea...start a petition!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:04

I want it all

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:44

I'd like to agree with Rolling Hansie, but that does not help a debate of course.

I don't believe Toru A's remark that Mick would jump upon the idea of revisiting the past because
of commercial reasons. This "Mick and Market" thesis is becoming a caricature that is not true
anymore. At this day and age Mick seems to care more and more about his image as an artist.
He seems to be eager to proof that he still has a lot of creativity in him. He wants to show
the world that he is still a major factor in contemporary music. I do believe his artistic
pride weighs more to him these days than his already big bank account. The situation might even
be that most of all he wants to proof he is NOT in it for the money (anymore).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: ingvari ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:16

Vault. Another Tattoo you.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:42

Cafaro
So the "discovery" of the "new" Exile material started a debate between friends who were bored at work. I was saying that I would rather have the Stones release a disc of "vaulted" material , like they did with the Exile Bonus Tracks vs. a disc of newly written material.

I personally wouuld perfer a vaults disc of unreleased material from say 68-79. I would love to hear what is missing out there. There is some stuff listed on NICOS site I would love to hear. I mean....."Hold On, I'm Comin"?

What are your thoughts on this? Vaulted vs. newly written..

not even 'The BBC-tapes' is released yet...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:50

Judging by the quality of their recent songs I think it's better to dig out some unreleased gems a la Tattoo You and the Exile extras and rework them.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 31, 2011 12:57

we need both or like Tattoo you it could a mix of old and new.
Everything is possible.
A fire work has a final apotheosis

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: August 31, 2011 14:43

The band has nothing new to say after 50 years so anything 'new' would be same old, same old...

The band had a lot to say up until the Wood era so anything from the vaults up until then would be most welcome. My choice would be the Gomelsky film/tracks but what are the chances?!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 31, 2011 15:09

Elmo
The band has nothing new to say after 50 years so anything 'new' would be same old, same old...

The band had a lot to say up until the Wood era so anything from the vaults up until then would be most welcome.

So, you're basically saying that you don't want the new, because it will sound "old" now, and
prefer the old, because it sounded "new" back then?

I don't know.. I am still thrilled by Ronnies last album. It might be, what you call,
same old, same old. But still it grooves me just fine.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 31, 2011 15:36

Give me a new disc anyday. Keep the vaults closed. If the Exile outakes are the best over the past years I don't want to hear anymore. All the bonus tracks are sub par. Nothing from the unrealesed songs are any better than what was released. Plunder My Soul? Lousy tune. listened to it maybe 2 times and put it away for good.

Date: August 31, 2011 15:57

The first consideration is what does their contract with UMG actually specify? I believe it was a contract built on reissues allowing for three releases with newly recorded material included. This wasn't the standard contract for several studio albums with the reissues as a bonus, this was built on exploiting the catalog with access to the vaults. EXILE Deluxe Edition, SOME GIRLS Deluxe Edition, and a Greatest Hits with a second CD of more recent outtakes and possibly a few all-new recordings are the contract as I understand it.

The second consideration is that although UMG distributes their entire catalog, Jody Klein still controls the sixties material. Any release of The BBC Sessions or revisiting BEGGARS BANQUET or LET IT BLEED would need to be worked out between the two companies (three companies in the case of the BBC). It is certainly easier to work with ABKCO today, but negotiations are never simple between any two parties when tremendous amounts of money are involved.

The third consideration is that while the idea of the Stones covering "Hold On, I'm Coming" sounds great on paper, the quality of many outtakes is disappointing. Often these were just jam sessions with guitars out of tune or vocals off-mike rather than polished studio masters. Their quality control may have come under criticism by fans on message boards, but it still exists to a degree.

At this stage, the best thing is to wait for confirmation of the contents of SOME GIRLS Deluxe Edition and see what happens in 2012 or 2013 regarding the Greatest Hits + Bonus Disc.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 31, 2011 16:21

Vault...with maybe a very few new....one thing you just can't get away with anymore is that Mick's growl has turned into a yowl...not my favorite development....but he sometimes gets back to a lower register that reminds you of the older growl....he was great on Plundered My Soul and on the Ian Stewart tribute.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2011 16:29

A great new album and a Rolling Stones Anthology CD/DVD box set or series of discs bringing together the best of the outtakes, alternative versions, BBC sessions, promo films etc etc.

Win win situation. thumbs up

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 31, 2011 18:03

My thing is that I like them for what they do best, which is rock and roll. I personally don't need the Stones to introduce me to "World Music" or stuff like that. If Super Heavy would influence the sound of a new Stones disc, I would definately not be happy.

In my mind, I will always take the Jimmy Miller era over any other. Even most of the Stones say they were at their best or most creative , etc during that period. That is why I would want a Vaults type thing. I'm not so sure I would want them to re-record the songs though.Leave what is good and tidy up the rest.

I am also not a fan of Mick's vocal stylings over the past few years so I would like the sort of thing they did on the Exile Bonus Tracks disc.

At least Mick may try to sing in a manner close to how he did back in the Jimmy Miller days. I mean, the more I listen to Following The River, the more I can;t listen to it because of his vocal stying. A matter of opinion of course

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 31, 2011 18:45

marcovandereijk
I'd like to agree with Rolling Hansie, but that does not help a debate of course.

I don't believe Toru A's remark that Mick would jump upon the idea of revisiting the past because
of commercial reasons. This "Mick and Market" thesis is becoming a caricature that is not true
anymore. At this day and age Mick seems to care more and more about his image as an artist.
He seems to be eager to proof that he still has a lot of creativity in him. He wants to show
the world that he is still a major factor in contemporary music. I do believe his artistic
pride weighs more to him these days than his already big bank account. The situation might even

I think you are right about Mick. I would even say that Jagger has NEVER been so market-oriented in the sense of making so much money as possible as people seem to think. Yes, he wants to have lots of money, and hit records, but not for any cost. He wants his selling products - his art - to be contemporary and 'relevant' in terms of the day's criteria. Many Stones fans, as Keith, think that "aah, Jagger's just following the trends". Yes, he is, and that is his artistic strenght and drive. He doesn't look back or try to play it safe, but put himself in to the game, in the terms of the latest criteria of the business. Yeah, with the Stones, especially since 1989 he has played safe and has taken the easy route, because there is just SO MUCH money in the nostalgia business, and he, being who he is, and to remain what he is, seemingly didn't have/had afford to not use that card. Especially since his solo career turned out be a minor disaster. The result is that tour by tour "Peter Pan" Jagger turned to be a kind double-standard performer who denies the nostalgy but milks every possible every cent out of his past.

I also agree that at this point of the game Jagger has started to care of his own legacy as well - he minds what kind of image and legacy he will left now and some day. So he might do things that probably will not have so much commercial appeal, even if concerns his 'nine to four' job - The Stones. Some ten years ago I don't think he would ever thought about doing an EXILE DELUXE kind of "retro/nostalgic" thing or releasing LADYS & GENTS, etc. Also letting that footage material to that "Move Like Jagger" video, shows that also Mick knows when he actually was actually a VERY cool performer. Some years ago it felt like that Mick almost denied his own legendary past.

---

On yeah, the actual question... Yes: a vault album, thank you!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-31 18:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 31, 2011 19:07

I'd like a new album. Also, I like the idea of re-recording previous albums. Cheap Trick's "In Color" comes to mind. Any CT fans out there heard this one? It rocks! On the subject of "vault stuff" I think they could release that material during a tour, seperate from a new album. That would keep us fans real busy. Just a thought.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:11

I'd like as many new albums as I can get while they're still alive. There may be something great still left in them. They can open the vaults after one of them kicks the bucket.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:16

I'd like to hear the RCA sessions finished. "I'll Let You know" could be a classic in waiting.

I say vault and let Keith make a new solo CD/LP.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:41

I think I'm one of the few people who really liked last year's Exile bonus stuff. It really showed what Mick can do given music that actually inspires him. Sure it's not of the original Exile calibre but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than anything he has done on his own - or HIS contributions to The Stones - since Wandering Spirit.

I welcome another type of Tattoo You/Exile bonus stuff.... or vaults.
I don't want another "new" album like A Bigger Bang which was a just collection a band re-writes with different topline melodies and lyrics that were at best... bland.

As far as re-recording albums goes... really? I shudder at the thought, so no thanks.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-31 21:42 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:48

What about the post-1989 vaults? There must be some of them....

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:07

marcovandereijk
I'd like to agree with Rolling Hansie, but that does not help a debate of course

Enjoy your debate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 1, 2011 00:13

YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT BUT IF YOU TRY SOMETIMES YOU CAN.
New songs old songs anything by the stones is good be happy they still here and we can enjoy their music so called fans are always complaining whatever the stones do,with all the moaning when do YOUI get time to listen to stones music?
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT I LIKE IT.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:18

treaclefingers
Toru A

Anyway,

I find it very interesting when observers assess that Jagger appears to be reluctant/uninterested in dwelling and/or visiting the past especially as it pertains to releasing audio/video from the vaults. If this guy is so anti-past, then why include just 2-4 songs from new albums when you tour and then load the rest of your setlist with stale warhorses that are 30-40 years old? When was the last time the Stones took a risk and played the bulk of a new album in concert rather than rely on strictly warhorses? Me thinks Some Girls from 1978?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 1, 2011 05:39

marcovandereijk

I agree.
I'll take the vaults. It's time.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 1, 2011 14:21

I'll take the risk of something new. Sure, it might be rubbish - but then, it might not be, and if they have still got something great left in them (as spsimmons says) then that's what I want to hear. The vaults aren't going anywhere: they can wait.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home