Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How lucky are we?
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 13, 2016 00:10

Just looking at the front page of the forum. It's 20-freaking-16 and we have threads about a new Stones album, a fall Stones tour, tours and/or new releases from David Gilmour, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Elvis Costello et al.

What a treasure to have had, and still have, these legendary artists in our lives.

Re: How lucky are we?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 13, 2016 00:58

and The Monkees new album, too.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: July 13, 2016 01:02

Your right on!!

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 13, 2016 01:29

I feel pretty lucky, now if I could just get lucky...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2016 02:29

Extremely fortunate indeed.
Not to mention the Desert Trip line-up coming in October.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 13, 2016 02:48

Jimmy. you said it for me brother

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2016 02:59

I got really lucky just recently ...
Then blew it all .... But I might get it back one day

I'm a cold Italian pizza
I could use a lemon squeezer

.................... Monkey Man -- Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2016 03:02

We'd be a lot luckier if those artists had been superseded by younger bands that took what the seniors gave us and pushed it to new boundaries. Unfortunately almost all of the younger bands that were any good flamed out after a couple years. Even U2 doesn't have the impact it once did. The Police, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, nothing. We're only left with the bands from the 60s and their Greatest Hits. (Except for Neil who'll play whatever he wants.)

The younger artists lacked commitment or talent, or something. None of the individuals were ever on par with Hendrix, or any of the British gunslingers. John Mayer isn't bad, but again, no impact.

I don't know who these nameless faceless bands I see on Late Night. People cheer like somebody new and great has arrived and then you never hear from them again. Do you really think anyone would give a crap to hear the Stones hits from the 60s, delivered by a band in their 70s, if there were younger, dynamic artists on the scene? Rock really is dead. We're lucky in that we can still see a few museum pieces while they're still alive. But there is no future. We truly lived in a fascinating time that ended when Kurt Cobain blew his brains out.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 13, 2016 03:16

Museum pieces! Jeez 24...they ain't embalmed yet and neither are we. Things go around and, with any luck, they come around again. I'm counting on it. We are quite lucky indeed. smileys with beer

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 13, 2016 04:12

24FPS
We'd be a lot luckier if those artists had been superseded by younger bands that took what the seniors gave us and pushed it to new boundaries. Unfortunately almost all of the younger bands that were any good flamed out after a couple years. Even U2 doesn't have the impact it once did. The Police, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, nothing. We're only left with the bands from the 60s and their Greatest Hits. (Except for Neil who'll play whatever he wants.)

The younger artists lacked commitment or talent, or something. None of the individuals were ever on par with Hendrix, or any of the British gunslingers. John Mayer isn't bad, but again, no impact.

I don't know who these nameless faceless bands I see on Late Night. People cheer like somebody new and great has arrived and then you never hear from them again. Do you really think anyone would give a crap to hear the Stones hits from the 60s, delivered by a band in their 70s, if there were younger, dynamic artists on the scene? Rock really is dead. We're lucky in that we can still see a few museum pieces while they're still alive. But there is no future. We truly lived in a fascinating time that ended when Kurt Cobain blew his brains out.

Good points all. But I think the problem is more with the music industry than a dearth of talent.

I have several of Jason Isbell's songs mixed in with the "museum pieces" music on my playlist and his songs fit in just fine. He's a heckuva songwriter. But he'll never make it big. There are others who could pick up the torch from the legends of rock. But they also won't be on the cover of a Rolling Stone anytime soon.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 13, 2016 04:38

Very lucky and everyone on this board knew how good it was years ago and now.smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2016 06:36

JimmyTheSaint
Just looking at the front page of the forum. It's 20-freaking-16 and we have threads about a new Stones album, a fall Stones tour, tours and/or new releases from David Gilmour, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Elvis Costello et al.

What a treasure to have had, and still have, these legendary artists in our lives.

Those of us blessed to have been born in "The Stones Age" are lucky indeed. We may have all come along in different eras but it is an awesome thing to have witnessed The Rolling Stones in the flesh. They may very well go down in history as THE definitive rock and roll band. For us to have lived in these times is like a jazz fiend who got to see Satchmo or Ellngton in their prime. Future generations will always have the recordings but those of us who have lived it are blessed indeed. And the fact that they are still rolling after five decades is truly amazing. Popular culture will never see anything like The Rolling Stones again. Ever.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: July 13, 2016 07:33

JimmyTheSaint
24FPS

Good points all. But I think the problem is more with the music industry than a dearth of talent.

(/quote]

You can't hide all talent. If it's really good it will break through. Ed Scheeran ain't bad, but not earth shaking like discovering The Kinks. Sure rock is dead, but so is jazz and all other forms of music before it. There's a guy I see play in Hollywood all the time who does numbers from the 1920s and 30s. Whatever happened, the industry, whatever you want to blame, young people woke up one day and no longer had the connection to music that we had. Everybody's got their own ear buds, and don't hear music coming at you in apartment courtyards like I did growing up. And they're still fascinated with rap, a really minor music that shouldn't have lasted longer than rockabilly. I keep my antenna up, but I don't hear anything that grabs people by the heart and really means something to them deep down.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 13, 2016 08:32

Yes who would have thought we would be in 2016 awaiting a new stones album and tour! They are amazing.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 13, 2016 10:05

Do you mean sexually or philosophically ? or financially, maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-13 10:53 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 13, 2016 10:15

24FPS
JimmyTheSaint
24FPS

(/quote]

You can't hide all talent. If it's really good it will break through. Ed Scheeran ain't bad, but not earth shaking like discovering The Kinks. Sure rock is dead, but so is jazz and all other forms of music before it. There's a guy I see play in Hollywood all the time who does numbers from the 1920s and 30s. Whatever happened, the industry, whatever you want to blame, young people woke up one day and no longer had the connection to music that we had. Everybody's got their own ear buds, and don't hear music coming at you in apartment courtyards like I did growing up. And they're still fascinated with rap, a really minor music that shouldn't have lasted longer than rockabilly. I keep my antenna up, but I don't hear anything that grabs people by the heart and really means something to them deep down.

Rap and hip hop are MAJOR movements in music that have lasted for decades. It doesn't appeal to everybody, obviously, but to call it minor is just wrong. Plus there are many many exciting bands around at the moment, who the young people I know are devoted to with as much passion as my generation loved the Stones. I love many of these bands myself (and I love hip hop). As for rock AND jazz being dead . . I think you've got the wrong antenna up! Must need new batteries or something. grinning smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 13, 2016 13:01

Hooray for Dad Rock eye rolling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 13, 2016 13:06

in 2016 not very lucky at all

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 13, 2016 13:23

We are indeed blessed, and some of us even appreciate it! That's say-hallelujah time

- 1975 by Neal Preston

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 13, 2016 14:23

We're up all night till the sun,
We're up all night to get some.
We're up all night for good fun,
We're up all night to get lucky.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 13, 2016 18:09

I was young, I am foolish
Never angry, Sometimes vain
Not so charming,
ALWAYS LUCKY...
...because I can listen to the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll band in the world!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 13, 2016 23:00

You can't hide all talent. If it's really good it will break through. Ed Scheeran ain't bad, but not earth shaking like discovering The Kinks. Sure rock is dead, but so is jazz and all other forms of music before it. There's a guy I see play in Hollywood all the time who does numbers from the 1920s and 30s. Whatever happened, the industry, whatever you want to blame, young people woke up one day and no longer had the connection to music that we had. Everybody's got their own ear buds, and don't hear music coming at you in apartment courtyards like I did growing up. And they're still fascinated with rap, a really minor music that shouldn't have lasted longer than rockabilly. I keep my antenna up, but I don't hear anything that grabs people by the heart and really means something to them deep down.[/quote]

Rap and hip hop are MAJOR movements in music that have lasted for decades. It doesn't appeal to everybody, obviously, but to call it minor is just wrong. Plus there are many many exciting bands around at the moment, who the young people I know are devoted to with as much passion as my generation loved the Stones. I love many of these bands myself (and I love hip hop). As for rock AND jazz being dead . . I think you've got the wrong antenna up! Must need new batteries or something. grinning smiley[/quote]

Yes, I know I run the danger of sounding like the crabby old man that wants you to get off his lawn, but, like Keith, I think rap is WAAAAAYYYYYYY overrated. I've listened to everything from Bix Beiderbecke and Hank Williams to the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and on and on. To find one particular music that has remained popular, while being artistically bankrupt, shouldn't relegate one to old fogey status.

Don't get me wrong. Rap was fine, and if it had petered out after Grandmaster Flash's 'The Message', it would have been fondly remembered as a niche music period like disco, or New Wave. But it went on, never giving us memorable instrumentalists, or great works of art that showed the genre had expanded beyond bragging about material goods. In fact I consider it a joke now. It's mostly suburban wannabe whites that pump current rap, in their Honda Accords.

Think of how much the black American culture has given the world, including the Stones. Rap is the best they can do now? What happened to wanting to know about the newest black dance moves? Where would you even see such a thing on TV? And what happened to the evolution from Sam Cooke to Marvin Gaye to.....who? Did it dead end with Terrence Trent Darby?

We were very lucky, and very spoiled. Each year was like a thick slice of cake, filled with goodies. Now it's a bit of a barren landscape. I hope it's just a lull before some young geniuses in some town somewhere come up with something revolutionary and we can move on as our heroes from the 60s fade away and take their monumental places in history.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 14, 2016 14:11

Our time on Earth has coincided with that of the Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Kinks, Zep, Who, Dylan, Bruce, Allmans, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. So, yeah, we're lucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-17 20:45 by ab.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 17, 2016 00:22

rap and hip hop aint music in my opinion, cant see why folk did it.

it just aint for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home