Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mothers little helper--50 Years ago
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 4, 2016 23:32

from the "Aftermath" album. Was a Single here in Europe. Did the Stones ever play it in concerts?

Re: Mothers little helper--50 Years ago
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 4, 2016 23:54

Honolulu 1966
[www.youtube.com]

The whole show:
[www.youtube.com]

Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Mothers Little Helper
Get Off Of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-04 23:57 by hopkins.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2016 00:00

I wonder what Sir Michael's mother thought about the lyrics on this one? Where did the idea behind the lyrics come from?

Date: July 5, 2016 00:44

Mick Jagger: "It's about drug dependence, but in a sort of like spoofy way. As a songwriter, I didn't really think about addressing things like that. It was just every day stuff that you I'd observe and write about. It's what writing is for really. There is a sort of naivety, but there's also a lot of humor in those songs. They're a lot based on humor. It was almost like a different band, a different world, a different view when we wrote them."

Jagger: "I get inspiration from things that are happening around me - everyday life as I see it. People say I'm always singing about pills and breakdowns, therefore I must be an addict - this is ridiculous. Some people are so narrow-minded they won't admit to themselves that this really does happen to other people beside pop stars."

Charlie Watts: "We've often tried to perform 'Mother's Little Helper' and it's never been any good, never gelled for some reason - it's either me not playing it right or Keith not wanting to do it like that. It's never worked. It's just one of those songs. We used to try it live but it's a bloody hard record to play, although we did perform it live on Ed Sullivan."

[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2016 00:54

Thanks, Hopkins. The lyrics sounds self-percieved to me. I always had the impression he was writing about his mother. I may be wrong though, of course.

Date: July 5, 2016 01:28

My guess is he had great active responsible parents who nurtured him and his brother. I love the few pictures I've seen of their childhood with their Mom.
Here's the young star with Mum in a precious pic.

[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]

haha but He looks like he just had a joint in the garage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-05 05:57 by hopkins.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 9, 2016 00:26

Mothers Little Helper is one of the songs, which I would love to hear by The Rolling Stones on their 55th Anniversary Tour in 2017.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 9, 2016 01:30

hopkins
Mick Jagger: "It's about drug dependence, but in a sort of like spoofy way. As a songwriter, I didn't really think about addressing things like that. It was just every day stuff that you I'd observe and write about. It's what writing is for really. There is a sort of naivety, but there's also a lot of humor in those songs. They're a lot based on humor. It was almost like a different band, a different world, a different view when we wrote them."

Jagger: "I get inspiration from things that are happening around me - everyday life as I see it. People say I'm always singing about pills and breakdowns, therefore I must be an addict - this is ridiculous. Some people are so narrow-minded they won't admit to themselves that this really does happen to other people beside pop stars."

Charlie Watts: "We've often tried to perform 'Mother's Little Helper' and it's never been any good, never gelled for some reason - it's either me not playing it right or Keith not wanting to do it like that. It's never worked. It's just one of those songs. We used to try it live but it's a bloody hard record to play, although we did perform it live on Ed Sullivan."

[www.songfacts.com]

What a pleasure to read Charlie and Mick talking about the song and the comments about why they have not played it live. I always liked this one a lot and I dont know why... (I have always despises the Vs and xans)... maybe because it is kind of rare (as far a common knowledge and radio play) but probably for the way it sounds, nice and bouncy.

It never occurred to me even for moment that he was talking about his own Mum, I always saw/heard more he was making fun of society at the time (and this time) where Doctors easily prescribe and people are easily take "how to cope with life" pills... bad day, argument, broke a finger nail, wind blows>>> and they go running for the shelter of...

Date: July 9, 2016 01:38

...although we did perform it live on Ed Sullivan."

I looked for that... didn't find it easy... but I would love to see it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 9, 2016 01:56

jambay

These were the songs they played on Ed Sullivan Show in 1966:

February 13, 1966

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
As Tears Go By
19th Nervous Breakdown

September 11, 1966

Paint It, Black
Lady Jane
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2016 01:59

jambay

Look as hard as you like, you won't find it.
It never happened!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 9, 2016 02:09

"It was a very interesting single. We needed more 45 RPM's in the US than we did in the UK and Europe and had to come up with one to fill that American need. " Mother's Little Helper " more than filled the bill". - ALO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 02:22 by Deltics.

Date: July 9, 2016 02:13

[www.pinkcatshop.com]

Date: July 9, 2016 02:28

grinning smiley Charlie got me again... I like that winking smiley

Date: July 9, 2016 02:30

Thanks Deltics and CR smileys with beer

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:34

I don't think they'll ever do it live again.

Although I would really, really want to hear it, because I think it would be a great moment hearing the entire audience singing along to the "...what a DRAAAAG it is, getting OLD!!" line.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2016 19:08

loog droog

Although I would really, really want to hear it, because I think it would be a great moment hearing the entire audience singing along to the "...what a DRAAAAG it is, getting OLD!!" line.

That's pretty uptempo for them at this point. They haven't been able to pull off Get Off Of My Cloud live for a long time. They practically slowed it down to a waltz.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2016 21:41

Tesla do a great version of MLH on their 5 Man Acoustical Jam album, which was probably the first "unplugged" type album. I saw a video on Youtube of the Go Go's doing MLH live in concert, not bad!

Date: July 12, 2016 00:52

24FPS
loog droog

That's pretty uptempo for them at this point. They haven't been able to pull off Get Off Of My Cloud live for a long time. They practically slowed it down to a waltz.

I expect the bpm to be the same. It's HOW they play it that gives you that feeling.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2016 23:46

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
loog droog

I expect the bpm to be the same. It's HOW they play it that gives you that feeling.

I haven't heard that particular sound since Got Live If You Want It. I think Brian and Keith had a whole different, maniacal rhythm going on then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home