Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The Who to close 2012 Olympics...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 28, 2011 04:54

Well, somebody had to.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Re: OT: The Who to close 2012 Olympics...
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 28, 2011 05:06

tomk
Well, somebody had to.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Yup, somebody had to...

They will do fine....

[www.mirror.co.uk]
Veteran rockers The Who have been signed for the ­closing ceremony of the ­London Olympics.

They will be the star attraction of a musical extravaganza which will mark the ­handover of the Olympic torch from London to Rio de Janeiro.

The event will also coincide with The Who’s 50th anniversary.

The band’s surviving members – singer Roger Daltrey, 68, and guitarist Pete Townshend, 67 – were asked to take part by Take That producer Kim Gavin, the man in charge of the ceremony.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-28 05:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 28, 2011 05:40

They looked like crotchety old men playing the Super Bowl a couple years back. Do they plan on getting younger?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 28, 2011 05:53

It's very hard to pinpoint exactly when the Who came into existence. Pete, Roger, and John were in a band together as early as 1959. But as late as 1964, which is when they met Keith Moon, they were calling themselves The High Numbers

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 28, 2011 05:57

24FPS
They looked like crotchety old men playing the Super Bowl a couple years back. Do they plan on getting younger?

Unlike The Stones. . ..

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 28, 2011 06:02

tatters

It's very hard to pinpoint exactly when the Who came into existence. Pete, Roger, and John were in a band together as early as 1959. But as late as 1964, which is when they met Keith Moon, they were calling themselves The High Numbers

I don't think that's accurate. Townshend didn't play in any bands until after he started art school, which was in '61. Minus the art school part, I think roughly the same goes for Daltrey and Entwistle.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 28, 2011 06:06

deadegad
24FPS

Unlike The Stones. . ..
Too..............................Shay.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 28, 2011 06:38

bustedtrousers
tatters

I don't think that's accurate. Townshend didn't play in any bands until after he started art school, which was in '61. Minus the art school part, I think roughly the same goes for Daltrey and Entwistle.

I've got a copy of Dave Marsh's "Before I Get Old" in front of me now. Frustratingly, he really doesn't give any specific dates, but from what I'm reading, it appears that Pete and John were playing together in The Confederates as early as 1958, and had teamed up with Roger to form The Detours in 1959. Of course, there are mistakes in this book. He talks about The Mods dancing to Motown records in 1964 and then mentions records that did not yet exist in 1964. So he might have been a little mixed up about other things, too.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: August 28, 2011 06:43

The Who?

More like "The Why"

Would rather see Pete solo rather than 1/2 of the band.

Posted by: fate268 ()
Date: August 28, 2011 07:34

Pete and Roger will be on the money and do very well. That is assured.I dont care how old they are. They are still terrific live. Thats their greatest asset.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 28, 2011 08:54

I just hope Pete doesn't acquiesce to Roger and play that medley nonsense like they did at the Super Bowl. That was a horrible idea. I'd be happy if they did Can't Explain, Substitute...and that's it. I don't think they get that much time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-28 08:55 by tomk.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:03

uhbuhgullayew
The Who?

More like "The Why"

Would rather see Pete solo rather than 1/2 of the band.
i've read Pete has been having some difficulty with his hearing.

so, more like "The What".

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:09

tatters
bustedtrousers
tatters

I've got a copy of Dave Marsh's "Before I Get Old" in front of me now. Frustratingly, he really doesn't give any specific dates, but from what I'm reading, it appears that Pete and John were playing together in The Confederates as early as 1958, and had teamed up with Roger to form The Detours in 1959. Of course, there are mistakes in this book. He talks about The Mods dancing to Motown records in 1964 and then mentions records that did not yet exist in 1964. So he might have been a little mixed up about other things, too.

I've read that one too, along with several others, but it's been years and I no longer have any of them. I just checked the Who's official site, and it says John and Pete did in fact start a trad jazz group called the Confederates in '59 (which I had completely forgotten about), with Pete on banjo and John the french horn. In '61 Roger either formed, or was already in, the Detours, and recruits John first, with Pete following in '62 at John's suggestion. Moon finally joins in '64, the same year they first take the name the Who, then the High Numbers, before finally settling on the Who for good.

So with Roger and Pete first playing together in 62, and still doing so in 2012, I guess it counts as the 50th anniversary.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 28, 2011 11:15

Thank God that ends that one then. This will be such an anti-climax. I wouldn't have wanted the Stones to do another 3 song Super Bowl type event. They're better than that.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 28, 2011 11:29

Hi Mike,

Not happening, thankfully. Just the Sunday Mirror going-off on one, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: August 28, 2011 13:46

SimonN
Hi Mike,

Not happening, thankfully. Just the Sunday Mirror going-off on one, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Great news Si. Hope you're keeping fit.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: August 28, 2011 15:09

I'd rather see John Renbourn play some English folk song, some lute player playing John Dowland (not Sting), the London Phil. doing Handel, than Pete and Rog doing another "Who" reminiscence.

So many better choices England.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 28, 2011 15:27

Unfortunate that some people can not resist the temptation for such an "easy" option to gain attention, and make oneself a sad joke... I hope this also confirms that The Stones will not have anything to do with the Olympics, if there is anything good in this 'announcement'. I am sure the Stones are much higher in the list for such big name candidates than The Who (and this is not dissing the significance of Who, but in the end of the day, it is the Beatles and the Stones in the league of their own.)

Actually Mick's new band would fit better to the spirit of the Olympic Games. An international favor and even some of drop of youthness..

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 28, 2011 17:09

Doxa
Unfortunate that some people can not resist the temptation for such an "easy" option to gain attention, and make oneself a sad joke... I hope this also confirms that The Stones will not have anything to do with the Olympics, if there is anything good in this 'announcement'. I am sure the Stones are much higher in the list for such big name candidates than The Who (and this is not dissing the significance of Who, but in the end of the day, it is the Beatles and the Stones in the league of their own.)

Actually Mick's new band would fit better to the spirit of the Olympic Games. An international favor and even some of drop of youthness..

- Doxa

That is a very good idea actually...if the CD were to do well enough, and they did a few gigs, or a small tour first, that could work out well.

Your on the payroll Doxa!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 28, 2011 18:03

fate268
Pete and Roger will be on the money and do very well. That is assured.I dont care how old they are. They are still terrific live. Thats their greatest asset.

They are "still" terrific live? So sad to lost John Entwistle. Bass playing is no longer the same without him.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 28, 2011 18:34

I know I am going against the grain on this thread,but I think it's a great idea.Not interested in paying big money to watch the Olympics live,but will be watching a lot on TV.As someone who lives in the London area and a Who fan.........................it's gotta be good news.Macca opening the Games and The Who closing the show will be great.The Stones can't be bothered to do anything like that,so I am well pleased with this news. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 28, 2011 18:44

Doxa

- Doxa

Spot on once again Doxa. Good observation.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: August 28, 2011 18:52

Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Spot on once again Doxa. Good observation.

I am more than willing to campaign for the inclusion of Superheavy in the Olympic ceremony.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 28, 2011 19:37

The more I think of The Who in the closing cerimony, the worse it just gets in my mind. And I am a fan of The Who.

I mean, just think of it... Despite their legendary past in the history of rock music, they are no any way significant in today's pop, and their superband or celebrity status in not much to be discussed about either. I mean, Pete and Roger are not exactly iconic McCartney or Jagger everyone is somehow familiar with, liking or not. Pretty much a historical anecdote. I guess they look and sound a bit odd or freaky to the most of the audience all over the world. Two very old guys who I'm afraid are "rocking hard", doing windmills and all that frontman pose... and I can't even feel how embarrasring it might sound and look like when they play, of course, "My Generation...eye popping smiley Now, that's the soundtrack for the generation following Usain Bolt & co..."sad smiley

I mean it is 2012, not 1965 for God sake... and any kind of 50's anniversary of some pop music figure way past its prime has not any relevance to the Olympic Games. It is totally different institution, in where different kind of things and values are celebrated there. Yes, the 60's were a hip time for British pop culture and all that, but holy shit, let me point out again, it is 2012 next summer...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-28 19:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 28, 2011 19:40

24FPS

At least, looking bad (as an Englishman at the Super Bowl) is much better than singing (your own national anthem at your national sports event) badly like Christina Aguilera...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:03

JJHMick
24FPS

At least, looking bad (as an Englishman at the Super Bowl) is much better than singing (your own national anthem at your national sports event) badly like Christina Aguilera...

Roseanne was the ultimate insult when she "attempted" to sing the anthem....in a military city, San Diego, no less.

OOPS, fumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:11

I was a big fan but Roger's voice is shot. Not sure who sounds worse between him and Springsteen these days?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-28 20:19 by thewatchman.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:14

His voice is much improved after surgery. Really solid on Tommy solo tour.

sc uk

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:15

thewatchman
I was a big fan but Roger's voice is shot. Not sure who sounds worse between him and Springsteen these days.

I thought he sounded pretty good on the recent (post-op) clips I've seen.

They should've chosen Cliff & The Shadows though. They sounded incredible on their reunion / farewell tour in 2009.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:15

straycatuk
His voice is much improved after surgery. Really solid on Tommy solo tour.

sc uk

thumbs up

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home