Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Aftermath: june 24th 2016 (UK version of course)
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:11

Words are Micks and Keiths, interpretation is yours and mine.

The pursuit of happiness just seems a bore

Well I'm talking about the way she grabs and holds
Look at that stupid girl

The sands have run out for your lady and me

Her eyes are just kept to herself

I said, Oh no, don't you bother me no more

I'm going home, bom, bom, bom, b-bom
Home, bom, bom, bom - back home

No idea of my destination and feeling pretty bad
With my suitcase in my hand and in my head my new life

Anything I wished for I only had to ask her - yes
I think she found out it was money I was after

You thought you were a clever girl
Giving up your social world
But you can't come back and be the first in line, oh no

Well it's hard, baby
It's not easy living on your own

Stand up coming years and escalation fears
Oh yes we will find out

Just take it or leave it
Don't tell your friends just what you're going to do now

Think, think, think back, baby

You really don't know what to do, yeah
Well I really don't know, I really don't know what to do

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Re: Aftermath: june 24th 2016 (UK version of course)
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:28

Yeah, Yeah. And its my Birthday, 56 years Ago. Thanks for the stones being part of it, for the greater part.
jeroen

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:33

Gefeliciteerd Jeroen.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 24, 2016 20:00

One of their best ever. They were creating sounds instead of chasing them.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 24, 2016 20:05

A great and important album; the first to feature all Jagger-Richards contributions, so it was the start of a major trend. In a way, it was also the end of their early sixties sound as they would soon get experimental and then find a whole new groove with Beggar's Banquet. A polarizing album for some. I have an older brother who thinks the Stones were no good post-Aftermath. I feel sorry for him. He doesn't think Exile is any good at all. The horror.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:32

My favorite Brian era album, musically his high point with the Stones! Guitar, marimba, dulcimer, sitar, harmonica, etc.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:40

"Aftermath"--my no.1 Rolling stones album til 2016.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:03

Their first album to feature exclusively J/R-songs and imo also their most uninteresting 60s-album besides Between The Buttons. The rythm&blues-inspired mostly-cover-albums before are much better. They were very good at creating hit-singles back then but their ability to create self-penned albums needed to develop. Only a few outstanding songs here: MotherĀ“s Little Helper, Under My Thumb, Out Of Time.

Going Home is quite interesting, but the remaining songs are mostly a bit too much pop. Aftermath is one of my least-played Stones-albums, along with Between The Buttons which is completely awful.

The last four songs (I am Wainting, Take It Or Leave It, Think, What To Do) are more or less torture to my ears.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:25

My Aftermath album UK VERSION slipped off the shelf, I checked all my vinyls, can't find it any more!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 25, 2016 00:19

AFTERMATH DELUXE 2016...(All tracks combined UK and USA version of course)...50 YEARS!

A missed opportunity.

1. PAINT IT BLACK
2. MOTHERS LITTLE HELPER
3. STUPID GIRL
4. LADY JANE
5. THINK
6. HIGH AND DRY
7. OUT OF TIME
8. FLIGHT 505
9. I AM WAITING
10. UNDER MY THUMB
11. DONCHA BOTHER ME
12. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
13. IT'S NOT EASY
14. WHAT TO DO
15. GOING HOME

BONUS CD:
16. LONG LONG WHILE (b-side of Paint It Black single)
17. AS TEARS GO BY
18. 19th NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
19. SITTIN'ON A FENCE
20. RIDE ON BABY
21. I'M FREE
22. LOOKIN' TIRED (bootleg track)
23. SAD DAY (b-side of.., in the UK)
24. STU BALL (instrumental - Ian Stewart and The Railroaders KR and BW)
25. IF YOU LET ME (from Metamorphosis album)
26. TRACKS OF MY TEARS (a Smokey Robinson cover)
27. WHO'S DRIVING YOUR PLANE

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 25, 2016 00:41

Totally excellent and consistent. This was a ground-breaker in it's time and all these songs hold up for me amazingly well. They are precious to me. These first several albums are so great. I would include Buttons too. To be alive and so young as each and every Stones album came out, to be able to live with the whole album, each of them, and play them through in their entirety many times was life affecting and life affirming in so many ways. Aftermath was, and still is, a gem to me._________________________________________________
From wiki: "The main engineer for the album was also pivotal in making the group feel comfortable during the sessions as he, according to Wyman, let them experiment with instrumentals and teaming up with session musicians like Jack Nitzsche to variegate their sound. Wyman also stated that he and Brian Jones would pick up instruments that were in the studio and experiment with various sounds for each song. This album is also notable for being the first LP to feature completely original material for the group, as Jagger and Richards were growing not only as songwriters, but as arrangers as well. In 2003, Jagger recalled that Richards was writing a lot of melodies and the group would perform them in a number different ways which were mainly thought out in the studio, as opposed to the strict arranging and recording planning of other groups of the epoch.
Brian Jones was very important in shaping the album's tone and arrangements, as he experimented with a vast array of ethnic instruments such as the marimba, sitar, Appalachian dulcimer, and organ, which contrasted with the folk, pop, country, blues and rock compositions, thus resulting in a very diverse melting pot of musical styles. Aftermath was also the first record on which the majority of the guitar playing was left to Richards due to Jones' multi-instrumentalism, a habit that served as an intense training period for Richards' craftmanship which culminated in his playing almost all of the guitars on Let It Bleed."

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 25, 2016 01:32

Thanks Hopkins!

We have profided the liner notes and the tracklistening.

Only some serious input to inspire the cover art and it's a done deal.

hopkins
Totally excellent and consistent. This was a ground-breaker in it's time and all these songs hold up for me amazingly well. They are precious to me. These first several albums are so great. I would include Buttons too. To be alive and so young as each and every Stones album came out, to be able to live with the whole album, each of them, and play them through in their entirety many times was life affecting and life affirming in so many ways. Aftermath was, and still is, a gem to me._________________________________________________
From wiki: "The main engineer for the album was also pivotal in making the group feel comfortable during the sessions as he, according to Wyman, let them experiment with instrumentals and teaming up with session musicians like Jack Nitzsche to variegate their sound. Wyman also stated that he and Brian Jones would pick up instruments that were in the studio and experiment with various sounds for each song. This album is also notable for being the first LP to feature completely original material for the group, as Jagger and Richards were growing not only as songwriters, but as arrangers as well. In 2003, Jagger recalled that Richards was writing a lot of melodies and the group would perform them in a number different ways which were mainly thought out in the studio, as opposed to the strict arranging and recording planning of other groups of the epoch.
Brian Jones was very important in shaping the album's tone and arrangements, as he experimented with a vast array of ethnic instruments such as the marimba, sitar, Appalachian dulcimer, and organ, which contrasted with the folk, pop, country, blues and rock compositions, thus resulting in a very diverse melting pot of musical styles. Aftermath was also the first record on which the majority of the guitar playing was left to Richards due to Jones' multi-instrumentalism, a habit that served as an intense training period for Richards' craftmanship which culminated in his playing almost all of the guitars on Let It Bleed."
AFTERMATH DELUXE 2016...(All tracks combined UK and USA version of course)...50 YEARS!

A missed opportunity.

1. PAINT IT BLACK
2. MOTHERS LITTLE HELPER
3. STUPID GIRL
4. LADY JANE
5. THINK
6. HIGH AND DRY
7. OUT OF TIME
8. FLIGHT 505
9. I AM WAITING
10. UNDER MY THUMB
11. DONCHA BOTHER ME
12. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
13. IT'S NOT EASY
14. WHAT TO DO
15. GOING HOME

BONUS CD:
16. LONG LONG WHILE (b-side of Paint It Black single)
17. AS TEARS GO BY
18. 19th NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
19. SITTIN'ON A FENCE
20. RIDE ON BABY
21. I'M FREE
22. LOOKIN' TIRED (bootleg track)
23. SAD DAY (b-side of.., in the UK)
24. STU BALL (instrumental - Ian Stewart and The Railroaders KR and BW)
25. IF YOU LET ME (from Metamorphosis album)
26. TRACKS OF MY TEARS (a Smokey Robinson cover)
27. WHO'S DRIVING YOUR PLANE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-25 01:34 by RipThisBone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home