Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Monsters and Critics: Ronnie Wood quits smoking after FIFTY years
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 10, 2016 16:36

I think this wasn't posted yet:

[www.monstersandcritics.com]

Re: Monsters and Critics: Ronnie Wood quits smoking after FIFTY years
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 10, 2016 16:47

switched to E- cigs ,still smoking after 42 years with the Glimmers

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 10, 2016 16:57

Good luck with quitting Ronnie!

I smoked heavily for 30+ years and also quit when I became a father (again) later in life. Very tough first six months, but sooo important and good to finally be done with them. And now, I can also afford more stones shows!

Date: June 10, 2016 16:58

Good luck this time, Ronnie smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 10, 2016 17:19

That´s stupid. The poison is in his body and will never leave completely and (maybe) will do its cruel work. The body of a smoker fights the poison as good as it can, after the smoker stops smoking the body stops fighting the poison. So the poison that´s still there is free to spread all over the body and finally takes over. There are so many people dying of cancer many years after they stopped smoking. Either it harms your body or it doesnt. If it does, stopping after many years of heavy smoking is useless. Call it fate.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:04

Ronnie smokes/ smoked organic, for what it worth.. American Spirit...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:26

HMS
That´s stupid. The poison is in his body and will never leave completely and (maybe) will do its cruel work. The body of a smoker fights the poison as good as it can, after the smoker stops smoking the body stops fighting the poison. So the poison that´s still there is free to spread all over the body and finally takes over. There are so many people dying of cancer many years after they stopped smoking. Either it harms your body or it doesnt. If it does, stopping after many years of heavy smoking is useless. Call it fate.

That is 100% false and not at all supported by medical literature:
[www.nia.nih.gov]

Where in god's name did you come up with that theory? Curse the Internet and everything about this age of do-it-yourself science. ...

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:35

HMS

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:41

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:36 by jambay.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:44

Mel Belli
HMS

[www.nia.nih.gov]

Where in god's name did you come up with that theory? Curse the Internet and everything about this age of do-it-yourself science. ...

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2016 19:17

They say it's never to late to quit. And I think they are right. But of course there is damage done already. I guess Ronnie had noticed signs of COPD. Like Bill did. To be able to breath is essential for everyone....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 10, 2016 19:28

Marlboro Man must be in shock...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 10, 2016 19:45

Love the quote at the bottom of that article:

Keith wed wife Sally in 2012 after being together just six months. He also has a son, Jesse, with his first wife Krissy Findlay.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: June 10, 2016 19:54

" Marlboro Man must be in shock... "

Well the Marlboro Man died years ago of .....lungcancer ! sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 19:56 by ComeOn.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: June 10, 2016 19:55

ComeOn
The Marlboro Man died years ago of lungcancer ! sad smiley

A few of the Marlboro men of the 60s and 70s died of lungcancer.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:01

Excellent news! I hope he can stick with it.

Now, as for HMS' comment...it is true that long-time smokers can do incalculable damage to their bodies that could come back to haunt them even decades after quitting. Look at Leonard Nimoy.

Nevertheless, quitting is NEVER a bad thing. Only good can come of it even if health issues arise from decades of smoking years down the line.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:06

HMS

Sorry but never read or heard something like this and it sounds totally inconsistence to me...and I find it dangerous for anybody who is trying to stop smoking!

Edit: I highlighted the part that ii is flase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 20:09 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:10

Good for Ronnie, but I would suspect that any damage - if any - will already have been done. I do suspect that becoming a father once more has played a part, also. If it does indeed have any positive effect, then that's marvellous. I, myself, stopped my fifteen-a-day habit almost two years ago. I switched to a vaporiser, and haven't looked back. Certainly, the whole 'vaping culture' has it's somewhat less appealing qualities - 'hipsters', those who've never smoked tobacco, and so on - but, it can be a wonderful thing, all this same; and good for one's bank balance too!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:16

Big Al
Good for Ronnie, but I would suspect that any damage - if any - will already have been done. I do suspect that becoming a father once more has played a part, also. If it does indeed have any positive effect, then that's marvellous. I, myself, stopped my fifteen-a-day habit almost two years ago. I switched to a vaporiser, and haven't looked back. Certainly, the whole 'vaping culture' has it's somewhat less appealing qualities - 'hipsters', those who've never smoked tobacco, and so on - but, it can be a wonderful thing, all this same; and good for one's bank balance too!
Wasn't Ronnie already told by doctors that he was in the early stages of emphysema about 10-12 years ago?

My Dad was a smoker for about 55 years and has finally (I think) stopped, but it took being told he was in the very early stages of COPD for him to stop. Again, better late than never, but I'm scared about what the future holds given the damage already done.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:20

I finally managed to quit smoking (for the 2nd & hopefully last time) back in 2007. Quitting was easy... It was the whole Not Starting Again that was so hard. Breaking the addiction to nicotine was at times rough but after a month or so the physical cravings went away. Nine years later, I can tell you that many days, I still get psychological cravings, I just refuse to ever light another cigarette. As I like to joke, "The first 10,000 cigarettes didn't make me black out, but the last one did "(yes that is true story). While I don't recommend "the black-out method" for quitting, it was highly effective for me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 10, 2016 20:52

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:35 by jambay.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2016 20:55

I quit many years ago. It was terribly hard. I quite once for 14 months, started again, quit for 16 months, and started again. My restarts always coincided with drinking and being nervous around a new girl. When I finally quit, I knew there was only one way, never pick one up again. I started walking, then jogging, to disperse the nervous energy.

And I didn't smoke again for almost 20 years. Then I started vacationing in Amsterdam. I was gloriously lit on Amstel Bier (spelled correctly) and to hang out in the bars it seemed natural to smoke, at first without inhaling. Eventually, as the habit does, I worked up to where I could smoke a few. Amazingly I didn't smoke back in the states. Finally I got back to Amsterdam again and I lit one up. Holy crap, it was like the first time when I was a teenager. I couldn't breathe and my head was spinning. It made me realize how nasty and dangerous those little bastards were and I haven't smoked tobacco since.

All my boyhood friends I started smoking with at age 12 look like crap now. Well, so do I, but not as crappy as those who never quit.

Date: June 10, 2016 20:57

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:36 by jambay.

Date: June 10, 2016 21:01

Now if I could only quit all the other things that are bad for me...
but at least those unhealthy habits have sweet, happy, soothing, fun, etc benefits...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 21:36

HMS

Actually this comment is stupid and scientifically inaccurate. The body immediately starts healing itself after quitting smoking. This is factual and backed up by science. There are many many longitudinal studies tracking the physical changes in the body after quitting smoking. Additionally, there is a plethora of scientific data tracking the different stages of physiological changes in the body after quitting smoking. My mother is a life long smoker and has vascular disease which caused her to almost lose her foot. After quitting smoking it has improved her circulation and she has been able to keep her foot.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 10, 2016 21:53

HMS

Another classic! Where does this guy come up with this stuff??

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:28

Ross
HMS

Another classic! Where does this guy come up with this stuff??

It's what happens when you listen to Dirty Work too often.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:30

HMS
matxil
Mel Belli
HMS

[www.nia.nih.gov]

thumbs up

It´s nonsense to think "hooray I stopped it after 35 years and now my body will recover completely and I will feel like newborn within a year and live to 105".

I believe this is what they call a "strawman" argument. No one claims any such thing. Saying "It's never too late to quit; your health will improve" does not mean you "will feel like a newborn," whatever that means.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:40

Good On Ya, Ronnie! Best wishes.

I'm sure he's doing this more for his wife/kids then he is himself.
thumbs up

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: June 10, 2016 23:15

With reference to comments posted by HMS.

The comments are massively unhelpful (to any smoker attempting to stop), greatly lacking in emotional insight and imagination and untrue in essence.

Smoking is a very dangerous and highly addictive habit - stopping is very painful and difficult for most to achieve. But it can be done.

The body begins to heal itself from the moment the last fag is put out.
There are time lines explaining this in detail.

Sometimes the damage is too great and it does indeed get you in the end. But just remember, duckies, everybody gets got.

If a person smokes, it does not automatically follow that person is "stupid".

Anybody who manages to kick such a habit should be cheered on and given warm words of encouragement.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home