Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Copa America 2016 (Centennial Tournament)
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 9, 2016 16:54

No online predictions were set up from what I know, so, just to chat on the matches.

If there is a thread for this already, then obviously, this is redundant.

The tourney: [us.soccerway.com] (soccerway is in most all languages in case one needs that feature)

There was a big upset in the Copa in my opinion, Mexico defeated Uruguay, I know we have folks from there here, 3-1.

USA lost to Colombia the first game then defeated Costa Rica on Monday.

I've got to believe Colombia is the favourite to win the whole tournament. I also think Colombia was given a bad deal in that World Cup at Brazil in 2014.

Argentina defeated Chile 2-1 on Tuesday.

USA will play Paraguay on Saturday US time.

Uruguay Venezuela and Mexico Jamaica play today. Really impressive play by the Tricolor, Mexico in that first match.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 17:11 by BroomWagon.

Re: OT: Copa America 2016 (Centennial Tournament) - Prediction game and chat
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 9, 2016 17:05

this tournament lost a lot of credibility when it started to invite teams from central america in, as central and north america already has its own continental tournament.

its like having the euros and inviting cameroon and nigeria in, its a stupid idea.

would also had been better if the copa america didnt clash with the euros, it never used to.

and its not on any tv channel ive got and the pubs will be shut when the games are on live, so i wont see it.

Date: June 9, 2016 17:11

buttons67
this tournament lost a lot of credibility when it started to invite teams from central america in, as central and north america already has its own continental tournament.

its like having the euros and inviting cameroon and nigeria in, its a stupid idea.

would also had been better if the copa america didnt clash with the euros, it never used to.

and its not on any tv channel ive got and the pubs will be shut when the games are on live, so i wont see it.

I don't know how it all translates,

I know the tournament for North and Central America is the Copa del Oro, Gold Cup, correct?

And this one is for all of the Americas. Copa America or even Copa De Las Americas. A totally different tournament than the Gold Cup for CONCACAF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 17:20 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 9, 2016 17:22

BroomWagon
buttons67

I don't know how it all translates,

I know the tournament for North and Central America is the Copa del Oro, Gold Cup, correct?

And this one is for all of the Americas.

This is a special edition of the "Copa America" which is the oldest international football tournament started on 1916 and still being played!

I was going to start a new thread about this cup but didn't because I thought nobody would be interested.
And yes, I agree about the concepts above expressed.

Greetings everybody!
Good luck Uruguay, you have to win tonight! Vamos "La Celeste"!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 17:27 by Quique-stone.

Re: OT: Copa America 2016 (Centennial Tournament)
Date: June 9, 2016 17:25

The "Copa America" was only for the South American countries and that's how it should be! But since some years 2 countries of the CONCACAF are invited.
But this is a special edition celebrating the 100 years of this tournament.

Date: June 9, 2016 17:37

Quique-stone
The "Copa America" was only for the South American countries and that's how it should be! But since some years 2 countries of the CONCACAF are invited.
But this is a special edition celebrating the 100 years of this tournament.

Yes, we should have had a contest for this tournament as well. I'll look into it later, maybe we can in the next elimination rounds.

Yes, the better CONCACAF teams go to the tournament.

Date: June 10, 2016 07:01

I am sorry that Uruguay lost; those things happen. Some teams do well in the World Cup for example but not in the Euro.

And Uruguay has 3 or 4 World Cups and probably have won that Copa a few times.

In fact, it looks like a ton of times, including 2011.
[worldsoccer.about.com]

15 times!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Oh, I'll really cry my heart out for them.

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 08:22 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 10, 2016 12:37

Seattle is hosting some games. The first game (Haiti vs Peru) didn't do well in terms of ticket sales. 20,000 in a 70,000 capacity stadium. I think a huge factor was the ticket prices were exorbitant. $75-$600. The competition for entertainment dollars is pretty stiff this time of year in Seattle. They might've done better if the prices were half what they are.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 10, 2016 13:20

Quique-stone
The "Copa America" was only for the South American countries and that's how it should be!

Then why isn't it called "Copa South America" ?

Date: June 10, 2016 13:28

Koen
Quique-stone
The "Copa America" was only for the South American countries and that's how it should be!

Because «south» isn't spanish? winking smiley

Date: June 10, 2016 15:09

Hahaha - I thought about that when I typed it.

"Copa Sudamerica" - is that better?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 10, 2016 15:16

Koen
Hahaha - I thought about that when I typed it.

"Copa Sudamerica" - is that better?

There's a Copa Sul-Americana (or Sudamericana in Spanish) or South American Cup already, but this is a club tournament. grinning smiley

[es.wikipedia.org]

Date: June 10, 2016 17:27

crholmstrom
Seattle is hosting some games. The first game (Haiti vs Peru) didn't do well in terms of ticket sales. 20,000 in a 70,000 capacity stadium. I think a huge factor was the ticket prices were exorbitant. $75-$600. The competition for entertainment dollars is pretty stiff this time of year in Seattle. They might've done better if the prices were half what they are.

Watching the televised match of the USA team vs. Costa Rica; there certainly were a lot of empty seats at Soldier Field in Chicago. Maybe it's the same kind of situation.

Date: June 10, 2016 17:30

Koen
Quique-stone

If the first tournament was in 1916, it's early in the evolution of the sport.

Also, as said, 2 teams outside of South America seem to be invited. So, one could check the whole history of the tournament.

Date: June 10, 2016 17:46

BroomWagon
I am sorry that Uruguay lost; those things happen. Some teams do well in the World Cup for example but not in the Euro.

And Uruguay has 3 or 4 World Cups and probably have won that Copa a few times.

In fact, it looks like a ton of times, including 2011.
[worldsoccer.about.com]

15 times!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Oh, I'll really cry my heart out for them.

winking smiley

Uruguay won 2 times the World Cup (1930 and 1950), before that the first World Championship the most important tournament were the Olimpic Games which Uruguay won in 1924 and 1928.
And yes, Uruguay won the Copa America 15 times, but it won't be another title this time, what a pain. Anyway if Uruguay can't beat Venezuela then it's right to go home early after the first round, which didn't happen since 1979. I couldn't believe yesterday's match. And you are right, this things happens from time to time and that's the best side of this sport.
sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 19:56 by Quique-stone.

Date: June 10, 2016 19:16

Poor Suarez was so mad because he couldn't play smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 19:16 by Koen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home