Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: When Exactly is the Some Girls Deluxe happening?
Date: September 5, 2011 08:41

Naturalust
I can imagine Bigger bang will outsell Exile reissue, give it more time. In fact I'm not even sure it is correct today.

As far as only a few people wanting to see a MJ totally solo show, I'd say the number in my state alone is well over 100,000. Again just ignorant comments without substance to back them up. Get real.

Differences are glaring? This sounds like more deep bs to me, sorry.

If you didn't know that that the Watching the River Flow was recorded at separate times by the stones in separate lands, I seriously doubt you would have come up with that on your own. It is irrevelant , they were miles apart on almost EVERY record when MJ was in the "real" studios doing vocal overdubs and mixing. That is just plain ignorant. If KR was upstair at Nellcote and MJ was downstairs recording vocals are you going to pick that up? Preposterous. peace.

Since you're kind enough to refer to my statements as "deep b.s." and "ignorant," I thought you deserved a public response, too.

I stated A BIGGER BANG has far outsold the EXILE RARITIES, you respond that you're not sure that that is correct today. Okay, you're not sure and obviously my credentials are in question. Try looking at Soundscan numbers or the RIAA's website. Georgelicks has posted the actual sales numbers worldwide. Hope that helps. Sales do not necessarily reflect quality and opinions are subjective. Try to hang on to that thought.

I never commented on a Mick solo show so I'm guessing that "ignorant" remark is aimed at another individual lucky enough to have earned your attention.

I stated the differences between an overdub on a 10 year old track and one 40 years after the fact is glaring and you think it's "deep b.s." Well, if you think Mick sings like he did 40 years ago and Keith's overdub sounds like what he would have played 40 years ago, then I guess you really can't tell the difference between the undoctored "Good Time Women" and a newly-completed track like "So Divine" in a blindfold taste test to guess which one features the Glimmers in their late twenties and which one features the Glimmers in their late sixties. It's not "deep b.s." to me, but perhaps it's not only my manners that are superior to yours.

I am "just plain ignorant" for thinking "Watching the River Flow" suffered from Mick and Keith's remote overdubs by virtue of the fact that Stones tracks were always overdubbed. Okay, you almost sound rational with that one except that for over forty years, when the band recorded they cut a basic track together. They usually had a guide vocal and any guitar and vocal overdubs for the final version were added to a track that came out of a band session. In direct contrast with this, "Watching the River Flow" had Ronnie, Bill and Charlie cutting a rhythm track without Keith. Keith's overdubs largely consisted of him noodling. Try listening to the minimalist guitar break if you don't know what I mean. The piano and brass are the major instruments on the cut, not the guitars which are very much low key unlike nearly every Stones track you could name. Likewise, Mick's vocals (despite his obviously putting effort into it as a professional) would have benefitted had he been working with a genuine reunion of the line-up with Wyman rather than a recording that happens to feature these same musicians, but not truly playing as a band. Does that really strike you as "ignorant" and "preposterous?" If so, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-05 12:35 by bv.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 08:48

thumbs up

Date: September 5, 2011 08:49

Justin
It's threads like this when i miss Rocky Dijion.

Thanks, Justin. Me. too. Almost.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2011 08:56

..maybe he means deep brown sugar ....
but then again the cane grows above the ground .,... Go Boys ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2011 08:58

Aw, I always did suffer for my sarcasm, Terry.

Date: September 5, 2011 09:01

..........No rock it man .... I'll be followin' this one man William...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2011 09:06

Gratefully years of beating the congas have given me arms like Popeye.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 5, 2011 13:05

WilliamPatrickMaynard
There are pleasures to be found on EXILE RARITIES to be sure, but there are also tracks where the overdubs seem woefully out of place with the rest of the material. The same is true of "Watching the River Flow," a new recording that suffers from the fact that Mick and Keith were on other continents from the others. A genuine reunion with Wyman in the studio where they work up a track from scratch would be a joy to hear. Sadly, the cover for the Stu tribute betrays the fact that Mick and Keith's contributions were long after the fact. As a result, there is a sterile lifelessness which should not be present. As it is, Jools Holland's brass section and Ben Waters' piano are the highlights.

From Ben Waters interviews, I suspect that he did not originally plan to include all Stones on Watching The River Flow - it just evolved that way, thanks to Charlie. It was probably quite easy for him to have the agreement from Charlie, Bill and Ronnie, but took more time to ensure Mick and Keith would do it as well. This is not really a Stones project. It would have been better to have them record as a band, but still it's a good thing they were part of this project.

I had feeling similar to yours while listening to the Exile bonus - some kind of bad photoshop job where Mick is forcing himself to sound as dirty as the younger Mick. Especially Dancing In The Light. Maybe if it wasn't released as part of the Exile box, the perception would be different - as it was for So Young.

Date: September 5, 2011 17:06

Agreed with you on "Watching the River Flow" being better than no participation at all.

"So Young" came off as well as it did because the backing track already sounded close enough to the sound of the band during the VOODOO LOUNGE sessions that Kimsey's mixing of Jagger's new vocals made it sound like we were hearing a completely brand new Stones recording just as on TATTOO YOU. Of course the fact that it was a 15 year old track rather than 40 year old also helped.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 5, 2011 23:55

WilliamPatrickMaynard

Now I totally understand! A drummer with an opinion! Should have known. Now is that a 20 year old popeye, or a 60 year old popeye? Those bulging biceps have possibly pulled your skin and bit thin on the rest of the body, no? lol peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-10 23:58 by Naturalust.

Date: September 6, 2011 01:38

No, I'm not a drummer or a percussionist at all, I was just poking fun at my old username here. That said, I would imagine there are a fair share of drummers here at IORR and with opinions to boot so I'm happy to see they rank an automatic "should have known" response from you. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my ignorance. It must be awfully hard for you suffering fools wherever you go in life. The pain of being superior must be quite a burden. I'd express my condolences, but, as you know, I'm not smart enough to imagine what it must be like.

As for the reference to a 20 year old vs. 60 year old Popeye, while I understand you're poking fun at our conversation regarding the EXILE RARITIES being overdubbed 40 years on, neither the earliest E. C. Segar Popeye newspaper strips or the original Fleischer cartoons portrayed the short-tempered sailor as being as young as 20 so I'm afraid your riposte fell flat. Of course, it's probably only ignorance on my part. It must have been gold to your ears.

Stick to insulting drummers, though. Your "should have known" was priceless.

Date: September 6, 2011 04:24

WilliamPatrickMaynard
the earliest E. C. Segar Popeye newspaper strips or the original Fleischer cartoons portrayed the short-tempered sailor as being as young as 20 so I'm afraid your riposte fell flat.

hmm, that is indeed interesting stuff. I will rip a version of sailor hornpipe for you tonight to celebrate yer short tempered cartoon friend.

Of course, it's probably only ignorance on my part. It must have been gold to your ears.

lmfoa! nice volley indeed.

Stick to insulting drummers, though. Your "should have known" was priceless.

It's not about the fvck up's, more the eloquent recoveries, in my (thx keith) humble opinion. peace captain.

Date: September 6, 2011 04:27

Actually just trying to have fun at this point, Naturalust. Banter is always better than bitching. And yes, comparing me to a short-tempered squat, bald, ugly sailor is closer to the mark.

Date: September 6, 2011 05:37

ROCKMAN

Date: September 6, 2011 06:49

I'd gladly trade the whole tiresome episode for actual news from Don Was as to the contents of the deluxe edition.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 7, 2011 00:57

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Justin
It's threads like this when i miss Rocky Dijion.

Thanks, Justin. Me. too. Almost.

Whoa!

Welcome back!/?

Date: September 7, 2011 06:02

WilliamPatrickMaynard
comparing me to a short-tempered squat, bald, ugly sailor is closer to the mark.

well, I have been fairly warned then. I used to sail them big boats but once I took off on a nine foot surfboard with a sail, well 12 knots just doesn't quite cut it for me anymore. And anytime we can inspire Rockman to join the party I end up smiling. btw: Do you think you can get him some sox? Black ones. peace.

Date: September 7, 2011 08:52

Naturalust, I seem to recall someone else here with "holy" socks.

Justin, thanks for the welcome. Taking off my mask after all these years feels kinda strange. Maybe I should have just called myself Popeye. There's no guilt involved like there always was for Mr. Dzidzornu.

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: September 7, 2011 17:09

All I want is 'I Need You' in perfect quality... Damn what a song that could have become. Can't believe they never finished it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 9, 2011 15:22

For what its worth, the e-mail I got from Badlands record store a couple of days ago advertising advance orders for the 'Live in Texas '78' Blu-ray had the following teaser added as a footnote :

"LOOK OUT FOR NEWS OF THE DELUXE EDITION OF "SOME GIRLS" SOON! "

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2011 17:53

Well, according to the ZDF Mick interview, pretty soon, as he indicated he's added new vocals to a number of bonus tracks, perhaps 10 in total.

This is a big stones year, between the Texas DVD, Ed Sullivan box sets, Some Girls Deluxe and SUPERHEAVY.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 9, 2011 18:14

treaclefingers
Well, according to the ZDF Mick interview, pretty soon, as he indicated he's added new vocals to a number of bonus tracks, perhaps 10 in total.

This is a big stones year, between the Texas DVD, Ed Sullivan box sets, Some Girls Deluxe and SUPERHEAVY.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2011 18:36

KRiffhard
treaclefingers

eye popping smiley

I take you're mocking superheavy!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 9, 2011 18:57

treaclefingers
KRiffhard
treaclefingers

eye popping smiley

I take you're mocking superheavy!

...Superheavy project is Stones-related as "Primitive Cool" or "Goddes"!!

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: September 10, 2011 13:35

Frankly I am perplexed by this number of releases coming. Due to the Worldwide crisis it is hard to imagining they will expect many fans buy:
1) Super Heavy September (in different configurations, vinyl Japan extended cd etc.)
2) Ed Sullivan DVDs October (4 hours) and November (6 hours)
3) Live in Texas DVD +cd,blue ray etc. 21 November
and get room for S.Girls with bonus tracks within 2011. This aims at saturation. I don't mean the usual collectors of course but the generic buyer, they risk to sell less than expected. And some people believe in a studio album coming as well in 2011. It seems too much to me. Same for the Tour, it will come after the studio album that I believ will be in 2013. But in July 2012 we may get a Marquee perfromance to celebrate the 50th Anniversary as hinted by Mick on ZDF, maybe a live broadcast all over the world?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 10, 2011 14:48

riccardo99
Frankly I am perplexed by this number of releases coming. Due to the Worldwide crisis it is hard to imagining they will expect many fans buy:
1) Super Heavy September (in different configurations, vinyl Japan extended cd etc.)
and get room for S.Girls with bonus tracks within 2011. This aims at saturation. I don't mean the usual collectors of course but the generic buyer, they risk to sell less than expected. And some people believe in a studio album coming as well in 2011. It seems too much to me. Same for the Tour, it will come after the studio album that I believ will be in 2013. But in July 2012 we may get a Marquee perfromance to celebrate the 50th Anniversary as hinted by Mick on ZDF, maybe a live broadcast all over the world?
I don't see the problem,fans will buy what they can when they can,always have if you can't afford something on release,buy it later.
I have already pre ordered Superheavy Deluxe,because I thought some new product was worth investigating,I might have waited had I know Live in Texas was coming out pretty soon ,same with Ed Sullivan and to a lesser degree Some Girls Deluxe ,as I was expecting that early next year anyway.
I bought the 14 remasters box set a couple of moths ago,long after it's initial release ,and indeed saved money.
I still haven't got the new Ladies and Gentlemen Deluxe yet but notice it is now £45 so I might get it soon.
I don't go to many concerts these days or indeed drink that much,but I do love my music and there is always something to keep my interest somewhere,glad there are all these new product available soon to keep me happy.
But as I said earlier,it's not necessary to buy them as and when they are first released,after all you can't buy the time to listen or watch them all,relax buy when you can.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 10, 2011 17:50

Naturalust
WilliamPatrickMaynard

Now I totally understand! A drummer with an opinion! Should have known. Now is that a 20 year old popeye, or a 60 year old popeye? Those bulging bicepts have possibly pulled your skin and bit thin on the rest of the body, no? lol peace.

Biceps. BICEPS. If you're going to be that specific at least be correct.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 10, 2011 18:02

riccardo99

Looks more like 2012 for Some Girls Rarities. At least according to whatever that was that said that. In the end it doesn't matter; all we know is it is coming out.

Your concern for the generic buyer is touching but the print won't change. They can release it now or next year but the same people are going to buy them regardless. So a 'worldwide crisis' has no relevance to that fact. And if it's such a crisis how come people are still driving and flying? Buying CDs and DVDs/Blu-rays and downloads are not even close to being life altering amounts of money.

Date: September 10, 2011 18:06

They're also not limited editions. Short of fanaticism demanding one buy on the day of release (admittedly an accurate description of most of us), one can limit their purchases over several months without fear of missing out on the releases.

Date: September 11, 2011 00:00

DragonSky
Naturalust
WilliamPatrickMaynard

Now I totally understand! A drummer with an opinion! Should have known. Now is that a 20 year old popeye, or a 60 year old popeye? Those bulging biceps have possibly pulled your skin and bit thin on the rest of the body, no? lol peace.

Biceps. BICEPS. If you're going to be that specific at least be correct.

Well glad that you knew what I was talking about anyway, correction made. peace.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home