Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: When Exactly is the Some Girls Deluxe happening?
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:54

James Kirk
"Tattoo You is a "semi-compilation", Some Girls is a real album."

I disagree with this statement 100%. Why are the tunes on Tatoo You any less Stones songs or as you say a compilation because they completed them over several years rather than all at once? Some of the greatest novels ever written were done over a period of many many years.

Tatoo You is a classic.

Tattoo You is not much different than Let It Bleed, Exile On Main Street, Emotional Rescue and whatever other albums they did that with as well - they have songs that were recorded for, or started for but not finished, other albums (Undercover has a song on it that was started for Black And Blue as I recall, I think it's Too Tough/Cellophane Trousers). All of those are 'real albums'. Hot Rocks is a hits compilation. Sure, it's their biggest seller, but as far as 'real albums' or original albums go, treacle, Some Girls is their biggest or most selling studio album. That was the point.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 23, 2011 00:42

DragonSky
James Kirk

I disagree with this statement 100%. Why are the tunes on Tatoo You any less Stones songs or as you say a compilation because they completed them over several years rather than all at once? Some of the greatest novels ever written were done over a period of many many years.

Tatoo You is a classic.

Tattoo You is not much different than Let It Bleed, Exile On Main Street, Emotional Rescue and whatever other albums they did that with as well - they have songs that were recorded for, or started for but not finished, other albums (Undercover has a song on it that was started for Black And Blue as I recall, I think it's Too Tough/Cellophane Trousers). All of those are 'real albums'. Hot Rocks is a hits compilation. Sure, it's their biggest seller, but as far as 'real albums' or original albums go, treacle, Some Girls is their biggest or most selling studio album. That was the point.[/[/b]quote]

No actually, that was your point...got it.

You are talking 'studio' albums, I was talking about 'albums'. No one is wrong, don't get yer knickers in a twist.

Date: August 23, 2011 00:56

mtaylor
James Kirk

Tatoo You is a classic.
Didn't comment on if the songs were good / not good. I do consider TY as a very good record - indeed especially also the slow songs.
The semi-compilation was referring to songs already known and circulating on boots.
Calling something as a compilation doesn't mean they are bad songs - on the contrary, Hot Rocks includeds some of the best songs Stones have done.

By the way, several of the very good poetry books are written in a span of many years / decades. The authors even call "a collection of poems from the past".

The general convention is to call albums of previously released songs 'compilations'...so for this reason, Tattoo You is technically not a compilation, although certainly has previously unreleased songs 'compiled' over many years.

Some compilations as in Forty Licks have 'bonus' unreleased tracks. In that example, Tattoo You if defined as a compilation album would have had 11 bonus unreleased tracks.

Let's hold hands and stop fighting...Tattoo You btw, is a classic and it gets more listens at my house than Some Girls.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:32

Tattoo You's a lovely record (probably their last really good one), but it's still a gathering of outtakes with a couple of new songs thrown in. While Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, etc. all include songs that had been leftovers from previous LP sessions, the vast majority of songs on those albums were newly recorded.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:56

As far as I can tell and based ont he people over at the Hoffman Forum and IMWAN, there have been no further updates on when or if the box will come out this year. I hope Wood was actually speaking officially when he made his remark and not just speaking optimistically off the top of his head.

Date: August 23, 2011 15:33

Exile was the Tattoo You of the 1970s!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 24, 2011 07:22

72stones
As far as I can tell and based ont he people over at the Hoffman Forum and IMWAN, there have been no further updates on when or if the box will come out this year. I hope Wood was actually speaking officially when he made his remark and not just speaking optimistically off the top of his head.

Ron Wood probably never speaks officially on behalf of the Rolling Stones, at least not to break any news. 36 years into the band, he's the new boy on the block, and Jagger and Richards would never let anyone forget that.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 18:40

I have an acquaintance who is working on the project. I met him several times through a mutual friend. Project is scheduled out this fall more toward Christmas. I will give more details as I hear them.

Soulsurvivor

Date: August 24, 2011 18:48

soulsurvivor1
I have an acquaintance who is working on the project. I met him several times through a mutual friend. Project is scheduled out this fall more toward Christmas. I will give more details as I hear them.

Soulsurvivor

That timing seems logical, and is certainly good news. I can put this on my Christmas wish list...the Some Girls, 18 disc UBER-Deluxe $675 package complete with poster, postcards and coffee table book!

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:13

The $800 package includes a coffee table!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:50

retired_dog
whitem8
And it is a bummer to think that Pooper Heavy has sideswiped such a valuable and fun project like a deluxe Some Girls.

If I have to choose between Miracle Worker and Misty Roads with reworked vocals I would think twice about which one makes more fun!

Apart from that, I can imagine that it must be pretty hard for any musician to work on 35 years old outtakes, thus realizing the fact that today, one is not even remotedly capable of coming up with new material that could match the quality of stuff which was regarded substandard many decades ago.

Ha...
I love Misty Roads and those hazy vocals...can barely understand what he's singing, but that's what I love about outtakes.
The idea of reworked vocals makes me dread the SG Deluxe/
I'd rather stick to my boots.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: August 25, 2011 00:17

A coffeetable included in the package? Do you mean to tell me that Kramer from Seinfeld is in charge of marketing Rolling Stones box sets now? LOL!
soulsurivior1, thanks for the update. And yes, please do let us know when you get more information.

Date: August 25, 2011 02:59

72stones
A coffeetable included in the package? Do you mean to tell me that Kramer from Seinfeld is in charge of marketing Rolling Stones box sets now? LOL!
soulsurivior1, thanks for the update. And yes, please do let us know when you get more information.

If they played it smart, they'd issue the original vinyl 45's all with picture sleeves (including Beast of Burden's!) and the Keith Before they Make me Run promo with pic sleeve, as part of the uberdeluxe edition.

I would stand in line for that.

Date: August 25, 2011 05:54

redsock
The $800 package includes a coffee table!

And the coffee table is made from one of the two 1981 stages, smashed down into a finely shaped square...with stickers.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 25, 2011 17:57

soulsurvivor1

Soulsurvivor

thx...that could just be the set list for 2012...they never gave it a proper full fledged tour anyway and it deserved one.

Date: August 25, 2011 18:05

Ahhh but it wouldn't be the same as what could've happened in 1979.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2011 23:23

soulsurvivor1

Soulsurvivor

Good news Soul! Keep us updated!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 4, 2011 00:34

KRiffhard
soulsurvivor1

Soulsurvivor

This thread should be titled 'WHY Exactly is the Some Girls Deluxe happening?" . How bout we just have the Stones go into a studio and re-record all the stuuf from Let it Bleed to Some Girls. New guitars, new vocals, everything. Then we could compare the two and extract just what sensibilities these guys have brought to the table in 2011, if any. The reworked vocals is totally a MJ thing and seems out of taste unless you give the other boys and chance to redo their parts too. Than being said, I will probably buy it anyway cause the rest of the stuff I'm hearin these days doesn't compare, especially Pooper Heavy. We won't get a chance to see how the Stone experiment turns out if MJ continues on this dreadful path. That pisses me off as a Stones fan. As a modern man, it's obviously his choice to make. peace.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: September 4, 2011 02:56

Naturalust
KRiffhard
soulsurvivor1

Soulsurvivor

This thread should be titled 'WHY Exactly is the Some Girls Deluxe happening?" . How bout we just have the Stones go into a studio and re-record all the stuuf from Let it Bleed to Some Girls. New guitars, new vocals, everything. Then we could compare the two and extract just what sensibilities these guys have brought to the table in 2011, if any. The reworked vocals is totally a MJ thing and seems out of taste unless you give the other boys and chance to redo their parts too. Than being said, I will probably buy it anyway cause the rest of the stuff I'm hearin these days doesn't compare, especially Pooper Heavy. We won't get a chance to see how the Stone experiment turns out if MJ continues on this dreadful path. That pisses me off as a Stones fan. As a modern man, it's obviously his choice to make. peace.

-Two reasons. The Exile reissue was successful and there's material to work with.

-Are you suggesting that they release half finished instrumentals? Or do you want Charlie to sing or something?

-The rest of the stuff you hear these days? You've heard all of two full SuperHeavy songs at most but it's seemingly oh-so-fashionable to bash Mick and do a silly SuperHeavy name "joke" How tedious...

Date: September 4, 2011 03:56

SoulPlunderer
Naturalust
KRiffhard
soulsurvivor1

Soulsurvivor

-Two reasons. The Exile reissue was successful and there's material to work with.

-Are you suggesting that they release half finished instrumentals? Or do you want Charlie to sing or something?

-The rest of the stuff you hear these days? You've heard all of two full SuperHeavy songs at most but it's seemingly oh-so-fashionable to bash Mick and do a silly SuperHeavy name "joke" How tedious...

AGREE WIT CHEW!

Date: September 4, 2011 04:14

Naturalust
This thread should be titled 'WHY Exactly is the Some Girls Deluxe happening?" . How bout we just have the Stones go into a studio and re-record all the stuuf from Let it Bleed to Some Girls.

That would require, outside of the warhorse laiden set lists, which he seems to have zero problem with for some reason, Mick dealing with the past.

As we all well know, that is just not something he can be bothered with.

But then that funny little Exile thing came along and suddenly he could be bothered.

All Mick has to do is accept that, as a "band moving forward" ala the four tracks on Forty Licks, nobody cares about anything actually new. A Bigger Bang proved that. The Exile Rarities also proved it, in a whole other way, on a positive note - bring out the unreleased - finished or not. The Stones of new are dead; the Stones of old are adored, loved and demanded. So bring it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 4, 2011 21:42

DragonSky
The Stones of new are dead; the Stones of old are adored, loved and demanded. So bring it.

Wow dragonsky, at first that really rings like truth to me. A relevation almost and I'm struggling to find an argument to belittle it. But three things come to mind:

1. Watching the River Flow. liked it so much I learned it.

2. Mick Taylor is alive and healthy and waiting in the wings off stage right.

3. Mick Jagger could do a solo , and I mean all alone, tour and blow us all away with his acoustic guitar and harmonica. Forget Bob Dylan! That would rock!

peace.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 4, 2011 21:56

Naturalust
DragonSky
The Stones of new are dead; the Stones of old are adored, loved and demanded. So bring it.

Wow dragonsky, at first that really rings like truth to me. A relevation almost and I'm struggling to find an argument to belittle it. But three things come to mind:

3. Mick Jagger could do a solo , and I mean all alone, tour and blow us all away with his acoustic guitar and harmonica. Forget Bob Dylan! That would rock!

peace.

I agree on No2 Mick taylor .You are quite right !! Bring him on with ronnie.
No 1 so so
No 3 Hahahahah, he is busy with this.....
bye
jeroen

Date: September 4, 2011 22:45

I disagree. A BIGGER BANG (which I've always been rather critical of) far outsold the EXILE reissue as well as SHINE A LIGHT. The reason why SOME GIRLS DELUXE is happening is because that's what the UMG contract calls for it. No one is looking for another studio album at this juncture.

It may not be the opening of the vaults that die hard fans want and it won't be simply a legit release of existing bootlegs, instead it's in the form of re-worked outtakes. When they did this with TATTOO YOU, the outtakes were less than a decade old so the new vocals and overdubs and remixing made it sound contemporary. Now they're doing the same trick with material that is 30 or 40 years old and the differences are glaring.

There are pleasures to be found on EXILE RARITIES to be sure, but there are also tracks where the overdubs seem woefully out of place with the rest of the material. The same is true of "Watching the River Flow," a new recording that suffers from the fact that Mick and Keith were on other continents from the others. A genuine reunion with Wyman in the studio where they work up a track from scratch would be a joy to hear. Sadly, the cover for the Stu tribute betrays the fact that Mick and Keith's contributions were long after the fact. As a result, there is a sterile lifelessness which should not be present. As it is, Jools Holland's brass section and Ben Waters' piano are the highlights.

Mick's finest moment recently was "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" at the Grammy's and truth be told, it is just a re-creation of the arrangement on LIVE LICKS. I won't judge the quality of SUPERHEAVY yet until I hear complete songs and not just 80-second snippets. In the meantime, if SOME GIRLS DELUXE comes off as well as the reworked "So Young" from 1994, I'll be ecstatic.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 5, 2011 02:03

It's threads like this when i miss Rocky Dijion.

Date: September 5, 2011 02:20

Naturalust
DragonSky

peace.

Some people think Watching The River Flow isn't even from 1971 but is new! Regardless, for me, it's something that could have stayed in the can; it's horrible.

So Taylor is alive. And.....?

With exception to a few people no one cares if Jagger does a solo tour. He would've done one by NOW don'tcha think? People know it would be a bust. He's got 4 albums out, of which only one is worthy of playing live, and all he'd do is Stones songs anyway.

Some people think, or used to, that when a band/artist puts out a hits compilation that it is a sign of them being done. Obviously not the case with the Stones. But perhaps these reissues with bonus tracks are a sign. Strange how they've been reluctant to do such things before when they're mostly interested in the money they make from releasing albums (or they were). Seems pretty simple to me.

Date: September 5, 2011 03:58

Yeah, ABB did sell more than the Exile reissue. I just wonder if people like the Exile Rarities more than ABB. I bought the Exile Rarities album only and for the most part I love it. It does show why the left some songs off the album and it boggles my mind that they left I'm Not Signifying off ie finished it then. Plundered, obviously, wasn't finished. It's too bad they didn't finish it then.

Even with the new vocals and guitars, it's still great to hear the original songs with great clarity. And how the true grit and groove machine the Stones were with Good Time Women is excellent to listen to.

Aside from Following The River (or is it the other one?) and the song that sounds very similar to Paint It Black, it's a shame they didn't include the UK mix of Plundered as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2011 04:05

.......maybe ya mean So Divine - Aladdin Story ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2011 04:12

That's the one. So Divine.

Date: September 5, 2011 06:43

A big part of me wishes they would've had this kind of stuff together years ago. Why wait so long? Drives me nuts.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home