Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rest In Peace, Elvis
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 16, 2011 13:08

Thirty-four years gone today.

Re: OT: Rest In Peace, Elvis
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 16, 2011 13:21

A great overlooked rocker frot the late great King:

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 16, 2011 13:39

For the King:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 14:51

Come On
For the King:

Blimey - Elvis wouldn't be resting in peace if he heard this crap. WTF!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2011 15:06

The greatest vocalist of the 20th century

As John Lennon once Put it: 'Before Elvis, there was nothing'

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 16, 2011 15:12

"No, Elvis is not dead, he just went home"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 15:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 16, 2011 15:34

See you again Elvis

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 16, 2011 15:36

Can't stand the bloke!

Date: August 16, 2011 15:51

I always liked Elvis.

"They all" stand on the shoulders who came before.....
Without Elvis... what else might NOT have happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 16:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: August 16, 2011 16:52

Oh Mama

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 16, 2011 18:08

Man, is it really that long ago ? I must be getting old.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: August 16, 2011 19:19

Elvis died on my 16th birthday...

Date: August 16, 2011 19:22

gripweed
so.... that means... Happy Birthday Ed, have a good one smiling smiley

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: August 16, 2011 19:37

Thanks MaxKC!! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 16, 2011 19:49

While Elvis died on this day (RIP) famed comedian Groucho Marx died 3 days later on August 19, 1977. His death was overshadowed by Elvis', sadly.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 16, 2011 19:50

gripweed

Happy Birthday then.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: August 16, 2011 22:33

Edith Grove
Thirty-four years gone today.

Wow, hard to believe. I remember watching news of it on the black and white portable tv in the kitchen.

He's in Paradise now singing his Hallelujahs and having a good 'ole time, for sure.

Date: August 16, 2011 23:05

Elvis' death mourned by New Orleanians in August 1977
Published: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
By The Times-Picayune NOLA.com

The New Orleans nightclub owner who turned away a young phenomenon named Elvis in 1953 "because he wasn't well-known enough" choked off a sob Tuesday (August 17, 1977) as she recalled memories of Presley and the Cadillac Club.

"In 1954 Keith Rush booked Elvis for $150 a night at my place, the Cadillac Club on St. Claude Avenue," said Mrs. Lois Brown. "Keith said 'he's a real hot number.' Well, we didn’t take him -- and I still regret it -- but since then we became very good friends. We hired the Everly Brothers instead."

Mrs. Brown wasn't the only New Orleanian mourning the death of that ageless teen idol Tuesday. Thousands recall Presley's visits here, dating back to a Summer day in 1956 when as a rising young star he bowled over the milk bottles on the midway at Pontchartrain Beach before an hysterical throng of squealing fans, most of them females.

New Orleanian Walter Taney was one who did not turn Elvis away. He arranged booking for two Presley concerts in Municipal Auditorium on the night of Aug. 12, 1956. Ticket prices back then, minus tax, were $1.05, $1.26 and $1.47, Taney said.

By then, Elvis was well on the way to super-stardom, Taney said. He didn't pay much attention to Presley's performances, but he recalls the idol as "one of the nicest young men you'd ever want to meet. It was 'Yes, Ma'm' and 'Yes sir,' " to older people, Taney recalled.

Newspaper accounts of Presley's surprise visit described "Evils the Pelvis (wearing) a shirt so cool last night at the beach that it practically froze Lake Pontchartrain to Mandeville."

Elvis' New Orleans following had increased tenfold when he appeared for two Municipal Auditorium engagements before more than 13,000 fans.

Elvis in King Creole

"Whether he'll be around as long as the Davy Crockett hat remains to be seen," wrote a skeptical reviewer. "He flings his limbs about and quivers in such a way as to make one think he might have a trick knee, possible from an old war injury. But this is not the case."

Elvis was back in the Crescent city two years later to film "King Creole" in the French Quarter. Frantic mobs of teenagers swarmed around the periphery of the movie set while one shopkeeper dangled a picture of a pelvis in his storefront window.

Weeks away from a date with the U.S. Army, Elvis confessed a yearning to play "straight" roles in upcoming films before being spirited out of the city by a squad of security men which grew as fast as his fame.

After that, New Orleans saw very little of the real Elvis, except in theaters and on television.

But a little known fact about Presley is that he loved New Orleans, its culture and its people, and returned numerous times to visit personal friends like Lois Brown.

"We'd see him at least once a year -- every time he came here," recalled Mrs. Brown. "He was one of the sweetest guys this side of heaven."

This story was written by The Times-Picayune's Bill Grady in 1977.

PHOTO GALLERY HERE: [photos.nola.com]

[www.nola.com]

Date: August 17, 2011 00:40

Date: August 17, 2011 00:41

If We Can Dream Of A Better Land.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-17 00:43 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:28

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:59

when i was a kid, i wanted to be elvis.
I STILL WANNA BE ELVIS!

(just the 50's elvis though...ok, up until about 1968-69)

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 17, 2011 02:08

Elvis was, is, and always will be the epitome of cool. There is none greater. Long live the king. His story is so sad though. The loneliness and isolation that his fame caused him. Never met him, but my family is from Memphis so several of them have met him and/or worked with/for him. They talk of what a humble guy he was. Wish I could have met him myself.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 17, 2011 02:59

Michele Bachmann had a rally today and celebrated his BiRTHDAY today ... ((( crickets )))

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2011 05:40

TheDailyBuzzherd
Michele Bachmann had a rally today and celebrated his BiRTHDAY today ... ((( crickets )))

don't go political...it never ends well here!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 17, 2011 05:58

Does it anywhere? winking smiley

I forgot it happened in the summer ... I think I was more riveted by the Son of Sam story then Elvis or Groucho, quite frankly ... sure, it was odd, I knew how big he was, but back then I was more a Beatle freak. Naturally, the news of three years later would hit hard too.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 17, 2011 08:19

Call me stranger or what have you, but when I was in Los Angeles in March, I attempted to see some of the houses Elvis lived in at various times there. I passed one of them that is now on the market in Beverly Hills and the housekeeper had opened the gates to a family who wanted to see it. On the wooden entrance gate fans had scrawled messages all over. Prior to that I visited Elvis' two Palm Springs homes, both beautiful and worth a visit. And of course no Elvis fan is complete without a visit to Graceland, which I made last year.
Elvis may have cut some garbage (mostly the 60's soundtracks) but at the same time he could record some great stuff, like this sadly overlooked track neglected to the b-side of the Speedway soundtrack:

Date: August 18, 2011 04:36

Pretty sharp pencil, huh?

Thanks, Elmo Lewis !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home