Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Favorite Stones Live Performance
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:15

For me it's the Ya Ya's version of Sympathy For The Devil; absolutely transcendent! It is a height they never really reached again in my opinion. Keith's solo is perhaps his best ever and then the way it shifts over to Mick Taylor with Keith's demonically aggressive rhythm work behind him is something I can't get tired of. It was a different animal when it came back in 1975-76 but still very exciting and aggressive. After not hearing it from 1978 - 1982, I was happy to hear it again in 1989. I could even forgive the drum loop, (which I felt was cheating) - because Keith and Woody were still delivering serious chops. As they kept bringing it out on later tours, I felt it devolved into karaoke...but perhaps that was inevitable. So for me, nothing beats the 1969 treatment of this song, a great example of how the classic Stones would re-imagine their songs to translate them from the studio to the stage. I miss those days...One of the thrills of hearing the Stones live back then was seeing how different the song would sound. Now they try to duplicate the studio versions and I understand that many fans want it that way but I miss the days of new arrangements for the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 20:27 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Re: Favorite Live Performance
Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 5, 2016 18:06

Stones - I'm Moving On from the live Decca ep. Smokin hot.

a few others

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Rattlesnake Shake live at the Boston Tea Party 1970. One of the most brilliant displays of smart, tasteful wank free guitar playing which is ironic given what the song's about.
Hendrix at Monterey - a masterclass in guitar showmanship.
Beatles - Some Other Guy, Cavern and Boys at the Hollywood Bowl 1964 - early British "beat-groupery" at it's finest.
Brian Wilson presents Smile (dvd) - high art concert shenanigans from the rock n roll Charles Ives.
The Who - Young Man Blues Isle Of Wight - holy smoke.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:31

In no order:

Ray Charles: Drown In My Own Tears, 1959 In Concert
BB King: How Blue Can You Get from Regal, 1964
Elvis Presley: Suspicious Minds, 1970 That's The Way It Is
Van Morrison: Cypress Avenue, Too Late to Sop Now 1974
Allman Brothers Band: You Don't Love Me / Soul Serenade, 1971 Radio broadcast

Johnny Cash: Remember The Alamo, 1969 Madison Square Garden (Dove with claws speech prefigures this)

The Rolling Stones: Midnight Rambler (1973 Brussels Affair)
Willie Nelson: Amazing Grace, 1976 Troublemaker bonus track
Richard Thompson: Tear Stained Letter, Watching The Dark live version
Neil Young: Like A Hurricane, Unplugged version, 1993
Jerry Lee Lewis: Mean Woman Blues - Star Club version, 1964
Taj Mahal: You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond - The Real Thing, 1971
The Byrds: Eight Miles High - Untitled, 1970
Paul McCartney & Wings: Maybe I'm Amazed - Wings Over America, 1976
The Band: Genetic Method / Chest Fever - Rock of Ages, 1972
Leonard Cohen: Dance Me to The End of Love, Live 1991

Date: May 5, 2016 20:26

I guess I should have specified I meant favorite Stones live performance...but I enjoyed seeing the comments posted. Thanks for the input!

Date: May 5, 2016 21:09

Found a new fave listening to a 1976 London boot. Hey Negrita is funky as hell!

Re: Favorite Stones Live Performance
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 5, 2016 21:25

Always and forever: Brussels 1973.

And 'Salt of the earth' from Atlantic City 1989 (it's my favorite Stones song).

'Love in vain' from GYYYA comes close.

Date: May 5, 2016 21:53

saltoftheearth
Always and forever: Brussels 1973.

And 'Salt of the earth' from Atlantic City 1989 (it's my favorite Stones song).

'Love in vain' from GYYYA comes close.

All those are also great faves of mine...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2016 00:56

ash

That's exactly my pick. Nothing else captures the amphetamine like menace of the early, rumbling Stones. Brian is almost demonic on slide.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 6, 2016 01:06

I love Perth '72 for it's grimy, ragged glory. Brussels Affair for Taylor's slide tone over the top of a cookin' band, and that's saying a lot because I don't like a lot of post-Hopkins stuff.

Date: May 6, 2016 01:14

I'm Moving On (Live In England '65).

Excellent performance thumbs up

Date: May 6, 2016 06:59

There is an intangible IMO that makes someone a great rock bassist. No one has ever been able to bring the power like Bill Wyman. And it's not like he's technically proficient; it's cross between a drone, a rubberband and the washing machine in the basement.
"Im Movin On" has long been one of my favorite Stones moments, and the slide, the howlin harp, but also the driving bass make it for me. "Gimme Shelter", Mother Little Helper, My Obsession, King Bee, Talkin Bout You,Honest I Do, Down Home Girl

Date: May 6, 2016 14:02

Palace Revolution 2000
There is an intangible IMO that makes someone a great rock bassist. No one has ever been able to bring the power like Bill Wyman. And it's not like he's technically proficient; it's cross between a drone, a rubberband and the washing machine in the basement.
"Im Movin On" has long been one of my favorite Stones moments, and the slide, the howlin harp, but also the driving bass make it for me. "Gimme Shelter", Mother Little Helper, My Obsession, King Bee, Talkin Bout You,Honest I Do, Down Home Girl

Ditto - just listen to the difference between something like Neighbours from 1981 with Bill's looping up and down bass lines and the lackluster version on Live Licks. D. Jones is very good, but he doesn't make things rock and swing the way Bill did.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:04

Little Feat - Mercenary Territory (Live at Rainbow 1977)
The Rolling Stones - Love in Vain (Civic Center, Baltimore)
The Allman Brothers Band - Stormy Monday (At Fillmore East 1971)
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers & Mick Taylor - Blues for the last days (from 70th concert)
Lou Reed - Sweet Jane (from rock n' roll animal)
Peter Frampton - I wanna go to the sun (from frampton comes alive)
Johnny Winter - It's My Own Fault (from Live and 1971)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:12

The last one I went to and the next one I'm going to!

Date: May 6, 2016 15:51

How about favorite Stones CONCERTS as a whole? This is really hard.
1- Shea Stadium 1989; very close to the stage. What a comeback! What a setlist! And the first visually stunning stage show for me!

2- JFk Stadium Philly 1981 for the good vibe more than the sloppy playing; right in front, close enough to see that Keith's cig pack was Marlboros. Mick right over my head in the cherry picker, could see right into the whites of his eyes.

3- Giants Stadium 2005; again very close to the stage. Another visually stunning show and the band played great. Had the pleasure of introducing my sons, who were 11 and 9 to the live Stones experience.

4- JFK Stadium 1978; have to rank this up there as it was my first Stones show. But from half a stadium away the sound wasn't great. Fun though.

5- Giants Stadium 2006; from the very farthest end of the stadium but it was cool to get a perspective on the huge spectacle of the event. Sound was perfect and they played a more varied setlist with Monkey Man, Live With Me, Sway...

6- Giants Stadium 2002; Again at the far end of the stadium but a very good solid show. My first show since Steel Wheels and I was thrilled that they still had the goods!

Date: May 6, 2016 16:27

Palace Revolution 2000

So true. Power, with the required softness to make the whole sound powerful. So many bassists could learn that from Bill, imo.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 6, 2016 17:53

Midnight Rambler on Bedspring Symphony (A Box Lunch and Meat Whistle Live in Concert)

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 6, 2016 19:41

ash

a few others

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Rattlesnake Shake live at the Boston Tea Party 1970. One of the most brilliant displays of smart, tasteful wank free guitar playing which is ironic given what the song's about.

thumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 7, 2016 03:34

Can't name my favorite. Too many great moments to count

Date: May 7, 2016 14:08

Bashlets
Can't name my favorite. Too many great moments to count

It is tough, innit?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 7, 2016 16:12

....Jumpin' Jack Flash at MSG (opening Gimme Shelter). Wow!!! That single performance personified everything the Stones did best and why they deserved the title of greatest rock and roll band. I am so glad that Gimme Shelter was released (not just because of Altamont) so that there is histrorical evidence of the Stones live in concert in their prime. Getting back to 'Jack Flash, the song would evolve and mutate and certainly become a staple on every concert tour, but I would argue that the subsequent versions (ok-maybe the Brussels Affair version from 73) wouldn't necessarily showcase the power and passion of what was unleashed at MSG in 69.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 7, 2016 16:20

What I've been grooving on lately. Especially at 17:41

video: [youtube]

Date: May 7, 2016 16:34

Sighunt
....Jumpin' Jack Flash at MSG (opening Gimme Shelter). Wow!!! That single performance personified everything the Stones did best and why they deserved the title of greatest rock and roll band. I am so glad that Gimme Shelter was released (not just because of Altamont) so that there is histrorical evidence of the Stones live in concert in their prime. Getting back to 'Jack Flash, the song would evolve and mutate and certainly become a staple on every concert tour, but I would argue that the subsequent versions (ok-maybe the Brussels Affair version from 73) wouldn't necessarily showcase the power and passion of what was unleashed at MSG in 69.

Yes - it was downright sinister in 1969!

Date: May 7, 2016 21:34

HonkeyTonkFlash
Sighunt

Yes - it was downright sinister in 1969!
Downright sinister indeed!
I love the way 'Gimme Shelter' the film starts; the song was still new. But the film was shown when there was no Internet, so for many of us (very young), and in Europe these were the first images of the Stones actually moving on a live stage

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 7, 2016 22:04

There are too many to pick... way too many. HTW on LYL is outstanding and so are most performances on Shine A Light. GS on the Wild-Horses-single is outstanding too. Nothing outstanding on YaYa´s.

Date: May 7, 2016 22:22

HMS
There are too many to pick... way too many. HTW on LYL is outstanding and so are most performances on Shine A Light. GS on the Wild-Horses-single is outstanding too. Nothing outstanding on YaYa´s.

Nothing outstanding on Ya Ya's? That's a joke, right? Ya Ya's is considered by many to be not only the greatest live Stones album, but one of the greatest live rock albums of all time! Every track is stellar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-07 22:28 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 7, 2016 22:35

One of the many favorites is It's All Over Now from the TAMI show! I always thought that this song was a perfect example of Keith talking about his and Brian's guitar weaving in the early years.
Also like the version on the Paris Olympia 65 bootleg. The crowd singing along with the chorus is awesome even though the sound quality isn't that great.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 7, 2016 22:39

HMS

Nothing outstanding on Ya Yas??? What are 'ya smoking, dude?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 7, 2016 22:43

Sighunt
HMS

Luckiessmiling smiley

Most if not all songs on YaYa´s can be found in more satisfying versions on other live-albums, imo.

The fact that YaYa´s is so heavily overdubbed makes it hard to consider it a "live album" at all. It´s just fake.

Date: May 7, 2016 22:50

HMS
Sighunt
HMS

Luckiessmiling smiley

Most if not all songs on YaYa´s can be found in more satisfying versions on other live-albums, imo.

The fact that YaYa´s is so heavily overdubbed makes it hard to consider it a "live album" at all. It´s just fake.

I'm pretty sure all their live albums have some overdubs. Does that make them all fake? Even the official "bootleg" releases are known to have some fixing, ala LSTNT on Hampton. It still is good, though...What makes Ya Ya's so great - besides the playing - is the FEEL. That's something that would still be there without the overdubs. It's just got a certain dark, tasty VIBE to it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1286
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home