Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Achtung Baby megareissues
Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 15, 2011 07:18

WTF? I guess Bono can't rely on Ireland to subsidize his world leader fantasies. This has got to be the most indulgent deluxe edition of an album ever.

It's a good thing Jagger already released the Exile deluxe editions. Then again, this might give him some ideas if the Some Girls deluxe editions aren't finalized.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-15 07:29 by ab.

Re: OT: Achtung Baby megareissues
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 15, 2011 07:30

ab
WTF? I guess Bono can't rely on Ireland to subsidize his world leader fantasies. This has got to be the most indulgent deluxe edition of an album ever.

It's a good thing Jagger already released the Exile deluxe editions. Then again, this might give him some ideas if the Some Girls deluxe editions aren't finalized.

[www.amazon.com]

Where's the car? For that money you ought to get that stuff sitting on the passenger seat of one of those tiny-ass cars they had as the light standards for the tour.
T@3

Date: August 15, 2011 08:30

if you love that album and it really is limited edition i guess its worth the money. you get a lot of stuff

Date: August 15, 2011 09:01

keefriffhard4life
if you love that album and it really is limited edition i guess its worth the money. you get a lot of stuff

Yeah, but $650? I haven't seen another deluxe edition that went for more than about $160. But, then again, Bono is four times as self-important as any rock star in the world. So I guess he feels entitled.

Date: August 15, 2011 09:18

ab
keefriffhard4life

Yeah, but $650? I haven't seen another deluxe edition that went for more than about $160. But, then again, Bono is four times as self-important as any rock star in the world. So I guess he feels entitled.

look what you get though:
. A limited, numbered Uber Deluxe Edition is a magnetic puzzle tiled box which will contain: 6 CDs including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa, B-sides, remixes and re-workings of previously unheard material recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. 4 DVDs including 'From The Sky Down', 'Zoo TV:Live From Sydney', all the videos from Achtung Baby plus bonus material. There will also be the Achtung Baby double vinyl album plus 5 clear 7" vinyl singles in their original sleeves, 16 art prints taken from the original album sleeve, an 84-page hardback book, a copy of Propaganda magazine, 4 badges, a sticker sheet, and a pair of Bono’s trademark 'The Fly' sunglasses.

its limited edition and numbered and you get 6 cd's and 4 dvd's. that right there is about $140. plus the 5 vinyl singles and 2 lp's thats about another $100. the extra stuff and again the fact its numbered and limited

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 15, 2011 09:23

look what you get though:

grinning smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 09:30

I don't get why the live DVD is the one from Sydney, which has been released a couple of years ago. Other shows were filmed on that tour that circulate as great bootlegs that would really deserve official release. All the videos - like they are not on The Videos or 18 singles DVDs. For 650$ you get what you already have? And yea, Zooropa. Why is another album part of the re-issue of this album is also something my brain is too limited to get.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2011 09:39

Stones also had several companion releases to go with the Deluxe and Superdeluxe Exile, if memory serves, worth several hundreds of dollars.

Not saying it's right...just sayin'!

Date: August 16, 2011 02:14

What is weird though is for $167 you can get all the same Cds and DVds and book. So you're paying an xtra $5 friggin hundred dollars for some flim flam. I hope they don't sell a single of that box.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: August 16, 2011 02:20

another bono bashing thread. how cliche...

Date: August 16, 2011 02:42

Palace Revolution 2000
What is weird though is for $167 you can get all the same Cds and DVds and book. So you're paying an xtra $5 friggin hundred dollars for some flim flam. I hope they don't sell a single of that box.

you're paying for the limited pressing. alice cooper released a limited edition boxset in june that has 4 cd's and 1 dvd and i think 1 LP and 1 vinyl single yet its like $250

edit: i looked it up you don't get any of the vinyl in the U2 set for $167 so you are adding 2 LP's and 5 singles

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 02:45 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 04:28

I have a 3CD boot of the Achtung sessions, wonder how much of that will make it to the unreleased material coming out.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 16, 2011 04:51

....besides One being one of the most beautiful songs ever written, the opening chords of Mysterious Ways are epic. Think I'll go have a listen now.

Date: August 16, 2011 07:38

I don't ever need to hear One again in my lifetime. I always thought it was one of the lesser songs on Achtung Baby, a lame and calculated power ballad, Streets of Love 14 years in advance. But what killed it for me forever was when I saw World Leader Pretend AKA Bono deliver a 15-minute monologue fawning over his day at W's White House over the intro chords to One during their 2005 DC concert. I nearly yakked my chicken pot pie.

Before the encore, Bono remarked that Larry Mullen took the p-ss out of him for his interminable yap during the break. On the way home, my wife asked that I never subject her to him.

Date: August 16, 2011 10:46

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

you're paying for the limited pressing. alice cooper released a limited edition boxset in june that has 4 cd's and 1 dvd and i think 1 LP and 1 vinyl single yet its like $250

edit: i looked it up you don't get any of the vinyl in the U2 set for $167 so you are adding 2 LP's and 5 singles

True; but it's still the same music, right? As far as content goes you'd be good with the smaller release.
Keefriff, I guess I am mainly turned off by anything put out by a band that costs 659 dollars. Just as I don't agree with the Genesis bookline that makes it impossible for lifetime fans like me, to ever get within 100 miles of one of those books.

Date: August 16, 2011 10:54

One curiousity that I find with the U2 albums is that they very often end weak. While this is based on personal taste I'd still like to list them.
"Joshua Tree" has "Exit" and "Mother of the Disappeared", 2 great pieces but they are in a different chapter from rest of the album.
"Achtung Baby" - I have always thought that the album should end after "Throw your arms around the world"; the last songs drag and fizzle
"Zooropa" and "Atomic Bomb" both have terrible ending numbers: one with Johnny Cash, one sung by Edge; is it the worst U2 number?
Even "All you cant leave" and "Horizon" have numbers that stand apart from the album per se as final song.
Just an observe.

Date: August 16, 2011 10:55

Palace Revolution 2000
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

True; but it's still the same music, right? As far as content goes you'd be good with the smaller release.
Keefriff, I guess I am mainly turned off by anything put out by a band that costs 659 dollars. Just as I don't agree with the Genesis bookline that makes it impossible for lifetime fans like me, to ever get within 100 miles of one of those books.

i probably won't get either set

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 16, 2011 12:58

Nobody buys CDs anymore. One way to make up for this lost income is to charge sky-high ticket prices. Another way is to make the very few people who still do buy CDs spend so much money on them that they're making up for the people who don't buy them at all. If you can find 10,000 suckers aficionados who will spend $659 on an album they've already been listening to for 20 years, that's a $6,590,000 gross, the same figure you'd arrive at if 440,000 people spent $15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-16 13:00 by tatters.

Date: August 16, 2011 13:01

keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000
keefriffhard4life
Palace Revolution 2000

i probably won't get either set

thumbs up

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 16, 2011 14:14

Free shipping!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 16, 2011 14:53

The largest sales are still CDs but vinyl and downloads are slowly overtaking.

Record corps have worked out how to milk the vast market for legacy products.they call them delux box sets, next up Who Quadrophenia.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2011 00:44

...... Jack White covers U2 - Love Is Blindness .....

[consequenceofsound.net]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:19

ab
keefriffhard4life

I saw where you can get it for only $440...I say you can't have too many versions of "the Fly".

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: October 14, 2011 03:23

Currently $387.01 on DeepDiscount.com. Strangely not available (says to sign up) on Amazon (at least in Canada) at the moment

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 14, 2011 05:17

Payment for the Uber Edition is to be sent to an address in the Cayman Islands or The Netherlands, if I read correctly?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 14, 2011 06:01

ab
I don't ever need to hear One again in my lifetime. I always thought it was one of the lesser songs on Achtung Baby, a lame and calculated power ballad, Streets of Love 14 years in advance. But what killed it for me forever was when I saw World Leader Pretend AKA Bono deliver a 15-minute monologue fawning over his day at W's White House over the intro chords to One during their 2005 DC concert. I nearly yakked my chicken pot pie.

Before the encore, Bono remarked that Larry Mullen took the p-ss out of him for his interminable yap during the break. On the way home, my wife asked that I never subject her to him.

You seem like a very young person
If you had heard ONE in its release days, and seen ONE performed live on the tour it was born of..... who knows

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:18

Actually a very underrated album. But the first issue is enough for sure....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:21

ab

It's all about marketing and advertising...

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 14, 2011 17:23

The remaster will hopefully be good. I love this album. I'm not getting any of the deluxe box sets but will be getting the B-sides version. Unfortunately not all of the various mixes of some songs are available on that version.

U2 have been doing this for every album, including various mixes and unreleased tracks. Too bad the Stones won't do something similar.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2011 17:51

Saving my money for the Dirty Work deluxe edition with 6 versions of "Back To Zero". smoking smiley

Actually, I love the AB CD, but not a U2 fanatic.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home