Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT> Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: August 14, 2011 12:37

Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-15 10:25 by bv.

Re: OT> Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse
Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: August 14, 2011 12:43

Bizar. I donĀ“t have words for this. One the biggest nightmares by a concert

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2011 12:46

This is very bad. I just heard on the radio that several people have been killed. How sad.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2011 13:12

OMG, The high def video clearly shows a person, in a purple jacket, on the right side, trying to run away..... but..... OMG.

Lets hope the genre of music, etc, BS comments do not disrespect the dead and injured and families of all those affected... How horrible to die attending a concert, of any kind.

PS
I would think this horror will have an impact on stage set up rules and regulations.... that scaffolding/support system looks pretty flimsy. I see the wind is blowing hard, but it sure went down quick.... too quick.

I wonder if there is a difference between indoor and outdoor stage setups..... because that set up looks like it might be fine inside an arena.... but looks waaaaaaay too flimsy for outdoor/windy weather useage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 13:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 14, 2011 13:32

There is obviously currently a problem with how out door scaffolding is setup, and although this is horrifying, by the footage being on youtube hopefully enough people will see it, worldwide, and hopefully people in positions to change things, WILL CHANGE THINGS.

That footage may directly impact saftey, and save lives,
if it was not seen, maybe nothing would change....

Is IORR the proper place for it??? well, I read about it here first, and it does have something to do with music... so yeah.... although I do hate to see some things here, maybe this is appropriate.... but I could be wrong.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2011 13:34

Max'sKansasCity
NICOS
Unbelievable to place this kind of disasters on youtube.

Seeing that footage could change things, and save lives.

Totally agreed.......but I don't think YouTube is the right place for it.

Date: August 14, 2011 13:38

NICOS
Max'sKansasCity
NICOS

I understand.... but Where is better?

I used to not like youtube, but over time I have come to to see is THE news, THE people's information.... there are so many camera out there now, and so many people can see things, video them and post them, and millions can see it.... without some "higher up" authority killing the story... although... sometimes youtube kills stories... it would not surprise me to see this clip be removed from youtube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 13:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2011 17:03

Max'sKansasCity
NICOS
Max'sKansasCity
NICOS

I understand.... but Where is better?

I used to not like youtube, but over time I have come to to see is THE news, THE people's information.... there are so many camera out there now, and so many people can see things, video them and post them, and millions can see it.... without some "higher up" authority killing the story... although... sometimes youtube kills stories... it would not surprise me to see this clip be removed from youtube.

Maybe a special site for "Learning From Disasters".

What I try to say is that imo youtube is a family site for fun and entertainment nothing more

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2011 17:21

Max'sKansasCity

I used to not like youtube, but over time I have come to see it is THE news, THE people's information.... there are so many cameras out there now, and so many people can see things, video them and post them, and millions can see it.... without some "higher up" authority killing the story.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-15 06:12 by tatters.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 14, 2011 17:41

There have been many times where I've sat under lighting rigs PA systems and score clocks. I look up and pray and put my confedence in the rigging guys that everything will be fine. The score clock at the new HSBC arena in Buffalo came crashing to the floor years ago. It happened during the daytime when no event was going on. Thank God.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2011 18:00

Something similar happened in Ottawa during a Cheap Trick concert. A freak wind blast, or something like that.

No fatalities in that one thankfully. Cheap Trick were shaken, and refused to play at a similar setup in Vancouver during the annual Pacific National Exhibition.

Obviously whatever 'standards' there are for this kind of thing are not sufficient.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 14, 2011 20:11

treaclefingers
Something similar happened in Ottawa during a Cheap Trick concert. A freak wind blast, or something like that.

No fatalities in that one thankfully. Cheap Trick were shaken, and refused to play at a similar setup in Vancouver during the annual Pacific National Exhibition.

Obviously whatever 'standards' there are for this kind of thing are not sufficient.
Yeah twice now in a short period of time this happened. This time with fatalaties. They either need to put much better staging or rethink having outdoor shows with that kind of weather.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 14, 2011 20:53

treaclefingers

I was there at the Cheap Trick show, 30 feet in fron of the stage as it fell down. My band played earlier during the festival (it's a 2 week event) on the other mainstage which stayed up during the blast, but I guess the War Museum at the site protected it from also coming down.

It was the scariest thing I've witnessed first-hand at a show. we were shaken, but reports of panic in Rolling Stone magazine simply weren't true, we all calmly filed out of there despite the tearing hail that followed.

What happened in Indiana is an awful, awful tragedy. I haven't seen the video clip and I don't want to. So sad.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: August 15, 2011 03:28

I'm a certified rigger and ,after seeing the video, I don't believe the roof system was properly guy-wired to either concrete blocks or large water-filled plastic barrels as is safe and common practice. Also, when the weather service put out a notice that a storm with 40 mph winds was approaching and expected to hit the fair at 9:15 PM, the roof system should have been lowered to 10 feet off the stage deck until the storm passed.

Date: August 15, 2011 03:31

polythene sam
I'm a certified rigger and ,after seeing the video, I don't believe the roof system was properly guy-wired to either concrete blocks or large water-filled plastic barrels as is safe and common practice. Also, when the weather service put out a notice that a storm with 40 mph winds was approaching and expected to hit the fair at 9:15 PM, the roof system should have been lowered to 10 feet off the stage deck until the storm passed.

Thank you very much for the input... it looked to me like guide wires would have helped, at least a little bit... and that is very interesting about lowering the roof... Thanks for telling us.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:39

Saw the footage on NBC news tonight, the guy that was to work the spotlight was killed, when they showed his picture, he was wearing a Stones baseball cap, sad indeed.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 15, 2011 06:23

Five killed, 48 injured. Terrible.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 15, 2011 09:05

Terrible news. The worst concert tragedy I can recall since Great White in Rhode Island.

These flimsy temporary stages just seem like a recipe for disaster. In bad weather, stay the hell away from them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2011 10:35

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers

I was there at the Cheap Trick show, 30 feet in fron of the stage as it fell down. My band played earlier during the festival (it's a 2 week event) on the other mainstage which stayed up during the blast, but I guess the War Museum at the site protected it from also coming down.

It was the scariest thing I've witnessed first-hand at a show. we were shaken, but reports of panic in Rolling Stone magazine simply weren't true, we all calmly filed out of there despite the tearing hail that followed.

What happened in Indiana is an awful, awful tragedy. I haven't seen the video clip and I don't want to. So sad.

Glad you and no one else was hurt at that show...I have no intention of seeing the clip either.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home