Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Looking for a job
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:21

So what did you study, then?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 19:08

saltoftheearth

I'm studying music, and english translator, hopefully by the time I finish my studies more offers will come up.

Date: August 11, 2011 19:09

sealingwax
I'm in a similar position myself.

Lost my job of 17 years in June as company went bust. Have applied for nigh on 30 jobs now and have sent my CV all over the place - nothing back from anyone yet. I even recently re-checked my CV contact details incase I had entered them incorrectly, hence no responses - I hadn't.

Am trying to remain positive, but some days you do feel like you'll never work again!

I too had that doubt about the contact details since I hardly got a response from anyone. I'm trying to stay positive too, some days are harder than others.

Date: August 11, 2011 19:10

The GR
Another draw back I found was where I did so much temporary work I couldn't apply for any work where they wanted a traceable 2 year work history. As I'd taken any work rather than nothing it was considered too much trouble to check so I'd have been a more 'suitable' candidate not working or in prison.

Yes, same for me, I never lasted even 1 year so I guess that's a big drawback for companies that require at least 1 year of experience.

Date: August 11, 2011 19:11

straycatuk
I went through it 2 years ago and my wife has this year and is right now having an interview for (finally) a permanent job. You have to keep plugging away and something,often from an unexpected direction will be there for you.

Good luck Stones78

sc uk

Thanks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 11, 2011 19:25

You left out a word. smoking smiley

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: August 11, 2011 19:38

stones78
CrissCrossMind
Stones78, hola, was wonder, how good are you with Photoshop on the computer? I need A TON of transfers of slides to digital (DVD) - TOP QUALITY RAW, I mean 10,000 of thousands of shots. Then I need a ton of digital work done to RAW digital shots. Then I need to print out tons of shots on the Epson photo paper printer....
How old are you?
Do you speak/understand/write French?
Do you live close to Buenos Aires? How Far?
You play guitar? Name your 5 to 10 favorite bands due to your love of THE GUITAR playing on them, your 5 to 10 favorite guitar players in general....
Do you drive? (I live in LA - Paris part time - with my Girl Friend, Dog, and fully equipped Photo Studio. We need an Assistant. We had a Girl from Barcelona but she's to wrapped up with her new Boy Friend).
Are you easy going or high strung - describe your disposition. Your best feature, your worst feature.
THANKS, CCMIND

Well, honestly I don't know anything about Photoshop, I'm not that far from Buenos Aires. I don't speak French. Yes I play guitar in a couple of bands, I learned recently how to drive and got a license, I'd say I'm easy going and can adapt quickly to any type of job. I'm 24 btw.

Well, that wasn't too bad, not great but... not bad. We should be in BA sooner or later (probably early 2012) so if you're still having job trouble we could meet for lunch or something. You'd have to be willing to move to LA and learn Computer/Digital Photography/Photo Shop and all that. Just an idea, I love Argentina and prefer working with non-American people. American kids just want to party and smoke pot all day (at least in my past experiences with them). Hate to stereo type but that's been our past experiences. It's a long shot of an idea so we'll see. I have a good Argentine friend that lives in San Diego - Laura. See's in Jujuy/BA right now but she used to work with us, she was good help (a bit older than you). Let me know your thoughts so far - any interest?. CCMind

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:45

stones78
saltoftheearth

I'm studying music, and english translator, hopefully by the time I finish my studies more offers will come up.
[earlier quote] ...but I've applied for call-centers, waiter, etc, jobs that don't require a lot.

Why do you apply for jobs that are below your standard? Aren't there jobs for translators in companies or for teachers at school (in that case you might be required a degree in education but you are only 24). Or are you talking about a temporary job to earn money for further studies? That would make the situation different.
Or is the job situation in Rosario that bad at all?

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 12, 2011 13:12

Muchos ánimos!!!

Carlitos
[dirtyrock.eu]
Tenerife

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 15:52

So glad to see so many positive posts here. I read a lot of news stories on other websites and see so many idiotic & negative comments. "Happy" to see the good side!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:29

That's because this place is only aloud for nice people

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 15, 2011 21:50

Hi,stones78, I've been out of work too so I know what you're going through.

First of all, keep yourself occupied. I know you are looking for work on a daily basis but you can't do it all day long so keep fit. Not only is it good for you physically but it helps to beat depression - and fills up some spare time.

What is your CV (resume) like? I've always been advised to keep it short and to the point. Employers want to look quickly at what you have to offer. Computers scan CVs for key words so don't be afraid to alter a CV to make it more relevant to the particular job you've applied for. I don't mean that you should tell lies, just make any particular abilities,qualifications or experience you have stand out as far as a particular position is concerned.

Don't be modest but, equally, don't pretend that you are Superman and can do anything.

When you get an interview - and you WILL - make sure you get there about 10 minutes early so that they know you are reliable. Even if you know where the company is located and they are not far away, it's a good idea to set off from home allowing enough time for anything unforeseen such as roadworks or a traffic accident.

If you are nervous, politely refuse any offer of a drink. If you spill it, it won't do you any favours.

Think of yourself as the person who is going to get the job before and during the interview without acting cocky.

Research the company on the Internet, print it off and bring it with you in a folder with some of your own questions about the business.

You might also want to know how the vacancy arose and how the company is doing in the recession.

Always be polite and friendly. They want to see someone who's going to get along with the other employees.

They will probably ask what you've been doing while you are out of work. I think anyone would be impressed - as I and our fellow IORRians are - that you went on this site and showed great initiative and keenness to work by making this post.

There are also books on job-seeking and being interviewed that you can borrow from your local library.

Finally, the best of luck and don't forget to let us know when you've got that job!

Date: August 17, 2011 03:56

Hey, I got a job! It's not the best job in the world (telemarketer) but it works fine for me for now (though I'll keep looking for something better) and I still have some time left to keep studying, thanks a lot everybody for the support and I wish you all the best.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 17, 2011 04:09

Congratulations ! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2011 05:39

chrism13
So glad to see so many positive posts here. I read a lot of news stories on other websites and see so many idiotic & negative comments. "Happy" to see the good side!!!

Niceness is only allowed for OT posts.

When we're on topic, it can get ugly!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 17, 2011 07:23

stones78
Hey, I got a job! It's not the best job in the world (telemarketer) but it works fine for me for now (though I'll keep looking for something better) and I still have some time left to keep studying, thanks a lot everybody for the support and I wish you all the best.

stones 78,

I'm happy to hear such news.

Every occupation deserves esteem.
The world is necessarily made up of many different lines of work.
Congratulations.thumbs up

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 17, 2011 08:20

Glad to hear the good news!
I know it's getting harder every day in Argentina, at leat for me and my people!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 17, 2011 22:17

FANTASTIC NEWS! HOORAY AND WELL DONE stones78 !smiling smiley

And the best of luck to anyone else still looking for work. Keep on trying. You WILL get there. Never give up, my friends.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 17, 2011 22:21

Congrats on the the telemarketing job. Just don't call me.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 17, 2011 23:27

Congrats on your new job.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 18, 2011 00:33

Good for you! Remember telemarketing ain't forever and keep getting the word out as to what you're specifically hoping to land.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 18, 2011 03:07

Do what you love... the money will follow

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 18, 2011 03:16

BIG CONGRATS ON GETTING A PAYCHECK smiling smiley

It is easier to get a job if you have a job... just like
it is easier to borrow money if you have money.

Date: August 18, 2011 04:05

Thanks a lot! Best of luck to everybody.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 18, 2011 15:25

Funny to see this thread re-appear. Yesterday I got told my job finishes on September 16th.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home