Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Looking for a job
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 9, 2011 21:01

I know this is way OT, and personal stuff, but I've been looking for a job for months, I've gotten like maybe 2 interviews and they never called back, I've applied for many, many jobs, I know my C.V. is not the best in the world, but I've applied for call-centers, waiter, etc, jobs that don't require a lot. I'm getting kind of desperate because time goes on and I keep being unemployed. Any advice from people that went or maybe is going through this kind of situation? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 21:21 by stones78.

Re: OT: Looking for a job
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2011 21:03

It might be helpful if you said where it is you lived. I wish you the best.

Date: August 9, 2011 21:12

Thanks, I'm from Rosario, Argentina.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 9, 2011 22:45

It might also be helphul to list your profession and skills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 23:54 by Koen.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 9, 2011 22:56

Can you train to be at the controls of a boat on the river....maybe those that cater to visitors in Tigre, and then move on to Buquebus.

Date: August 9, 2011 23:15

Koen
It maight also be helphul to list your profession and skills.

I'm a student, I had 1 job working at a call center, for about 1 year, I also gave some private guitar lessons but that doesn't mean much for companies. I speak English very fluently, and I have a great knowledge of computers. But that's about it I guess...and those are very common "skills". I think maybe I gave a bad impression at these interviews because I certainly fulfilled the requirements.

Date: August 9, 2011 23:15

MKjan
Can you train to be at the controls of a boat on the river....maybe those that cater to visitors in Tigre, and then move on to Buquebus.

I don't know about that, I might look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: August 9, 2011 23:56

Hola Stones 78.

Speaking perfect English is always a big plus, specially in South America where
is not so common. Have you considered a job
as a translator. I have a friend that is a simultaneous translator during
meetings and events and makes a good living.

Also in Tourism, Hotels or Airlines English is always a plus.

Good luck.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 10, 2011 00:17

Ever tried to place your profile on LinkedIn? (www.LinkedIn.com)
You can find probaly a lot of friends or old colleagues or make new friends.
I receive on regular base invites for new jobs, although I'm not searching for them.

Not sure if LinkedIn is common in your country..........

Good luck

Date: August 10, 2011 01:00

Yes, I checked that site but there aren't any job offers for my town, though I check every week, but I'm on a few other sites that are specifically from here and I get job offers every day.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 10, 2011 02:04

Stones 78, do you have any interest in tennis?

Since Argentina has so many fine players who travel the world, it seems to me your knowledge of English could be helpful. I know this is a longshot but why not call leading tennis clubs and try to find a contact for JuanMartin DelPotro and his management. Or any friends or people with clout who might know the tennis scene.

All best to you

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 10, 2011 02:06

shadooby, any idea how we can get our IORR friend to work?

Date: August 10, 2011 02:15

stonesrule
Stones 78, do you have any interest in tennis?

Since Argentina has so many fine players who travel the world, it seems to me your knowledge of English could be helpful. I know this is a longshot but why not call leading tennis clubs and try to find a contact for JuanMartin DelPotro and his management. Or any friends or people with clout who might know the tennis scene.

All best to you

Thanks, I'll look into it, tennis is not really my thing, but I'm open for anything.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:34

Stones 78,

Have you ever read this book?
"How Starbucks Saved My Life" authored by Michael Gates Gill.
As I got a lot of inspiration from this book, this may enlighten you.

Think positive!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 10, 2011 15:15

You got to keep going.

I've had 29 jobs at 46 companies in the last 8 years, loads of temorary work. Same sort of story, sometimes 30-40 applications in a month and may be 1 reply. Last year I had 6 weeks work.

Now I'm doing 3 jobs and earning about 30% less than I was 8 years ago. It's killing me.

Good luck to you from the UK.

Date: August 10, 2011 17:04

Toru A
Stones 78,

Have you ever read this book?
"How Starbucks Saved My Life" authored by Michael Gates Gill.
As I got a lot of inspiration from this book, this may enlighten you.

Think positive!

Thanks, I'll see if I can find this book here.

Date: August 10, 2011 17:06

The GR
You got to keep going.

I've had 29 jobs at 46 companies in the last 8 years, loads of temorary work. Same sort of story, sometimes 30-40 applications in a month and may be 1 reply. Last year I had 6 weeks work.

Now I'm doing 3 jobs and earning about 30% less than I was 8 years ago. It's killing me.

Good luck to you from the UK.

I know, this process of looking for a job is awful, but I'm not giving up, good luck to you too. Thanks.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 10, 2011 17:09

I was without ANY work about 1,5years,then i went back to "school",its actually adult education center,and i´ll be a bussdriver which is respected job in Finland

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 10, 2011 17:41

I always say..."I don't know why they call it a living when...
The GR

It's killing me.

Date: August 10, 2011 17:51

I prefer when I die I'll go to heaven because I did my time in hell

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 10, 2011 17:54

Maybe there are some jobs you can take abroad? Anyhow, knowing english is a definate plus. There must be a need for a person with bilingual skills. Good luck.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 10, 2011 19:14

stones78
...I know my C.V. is not the best in the world...
I'm a student...

What is that supposed to mean? Are you guilty of any criminal offences, are you dishonest, do you come from a very bad family, or what?
You do not say what you study - do you have any degrees? - , you do not say where your interests lie in your studies, which might not sound too good for a possible employer.

No offence here, really not, I feel very much with you, having been in the same situation many years ago but all you can do is sharpen your profile. Many C.V.s have their 'holes', but you can make them up by positive sides (WHICH YOU HAVE, OBVIOUSLY!). So you should think: What are my special skills? What are my particular interests? Which of these skills/interests could be interesting for a possible employer? English is one of them, but there are perhaps more. Think of them and talk to people about them.

I know it is very hard but you must get out of that rather negative self-image. At least you are on IORR, an international board! Have you ever mentioned your international horizon to a possible employer? And at least you had the courage to share your problems with friends all around the world!

Me perdona las palabras directas pero quizas te ayudan. Te deseo buena suerte para un futuro mas próxima!

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: August 10, 2011 23:58

Stones78, hola, was wonder, how good are you with Photoshop on the computer? I need A TON of transfers of slides to digital (DVD) - TOP QUALITY RAW, I mean 10,000 of thousands of shots. Then I need a ton of digital work done to RAW digital shots. Then I need to print out tons of shots on the Epson photo paper printer....

How old are you?

Do you speak/understand/write French?

Do you live close to Buenos Aires? How Far?

You play guitar? Name your 5 to 10 favorite bands due to your love of THE GUITAR playing on them, your 5 to 10 favorite guitar players in general....

Do you drive? (I live in LA - Paris part time - with my Girl Friend, Dog, and fully equipped Photo Studio. We need an Assistant. We had a Girl from Barcelona but she's to wrapped up with her new Boy Friend).

Are you easy going or high strung - describe your disposition. Your best feature, your worst feature.

THANKS, CCMIND

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 11, 2011 02:39

Try not to get too anxious or depressed, easy to say, I know but I was unemployed for 15 months and looked every day of those 15 months. I found a good job finally. I looked in newspapers, applied in person with a resume, went to people I knew and asked if they had friends at a company that might be hiring. It takes time but get out of the house and talk to people about jobs every day! Don't hibernate and stay by yourself...I did that for awhile and it made things more depressing. Chin up and make it happen!

Date: August 11, 2011 02:39

frankotero
Maybe there are some jobs you can take abroad? Anyhow, knowing english is a definate plus. There must be a need for a person with bilingual skills. Good luck.
Thanks.

saltoftheearth
What is that supposed to mean? Are you guilty of any criminal offences, are you dishonest, do you come from a very bad family, or what?
You do not say what you study - do you have any degrees? - , you do not say where your interests lie in your studies, which might not sound too good for a possible employer.

No offence here, really not, I feel very much with you, having been in the same situation many years ago but all you can do is sharpen your profile. Many C.V.s have their 'holes', but you can make them up by positive sides (WHICH YOU HAVE, OBVIOUSLY!). So you should think: What are my special skills? What are my particular interests? Which of these skills/interests could be interesting for a possible employer? English is one of them, but there are perhaps more. Think of them and talk to people about them.

I know it is very hard but you must get out of that rather negative self-image. At least you are on IORR, an international board! Have you ever mentioned your international horizon to a possible employer? And at least you had the courage to share your problems with friends all around the world!

Me perdona las palabras directas pero quizas te ayudan. Te deseo buena suerte para un futuro mas próxima!

Yeah, I know I'm kind of down right now, I do work on my C.V. and try to put on as much as I can. Thanks a lot for the words.

Date: August 11, 2011 02:42

CrissCrossMind
Stones78, hola, was wonder, how good are you with Photoshop on the computer? I need A TON of transfers of slides to digital (DVD) - TOP QUALITY RAW, I mean 10,000 of thousands of shots. Then I need a ton of digital work done to RAW digital shots. Then I need to print out tons of shots on the Epson photo paper printer....

How old are you?

Do you speak/understand/write French?

Do you live close to Buenos Aires? How Far?

You play guitar? Name your 5 to 10 favorite bands due to your love of THE GUITAR playing on them, your 5 to 10 favorite guitar players in general....

Do you drive? (I live in LA - Paris part time - with my Girl Friend, Dog, and fully equipped Photo Studio. We need an Assistant. We had a Girl from Barcelona but she's to wrapped up with her new Boy Friend).

Are you easy going or high strung - describe your disposition. Your best feature, your worst feature.

THANKS, CCMIND

Well, honestly I don't know anything about Photoshop, I'm not that far from Buenos Aires. I don't speak French. Yes I play guitar in a couple of bands, I learned recently how to drive and got a license, I'd say I'm easy going and can adapt quickly to any type of job. I'm 24 btw.

Date: August 11, 2011 02:45

mickschix
Try not to get too anxious or depressed, easy to say, I know but I was unemployed for 15 months and looked every day of those 15 months. I found a good job finally. I looked in newspapers, applied in person with a resume, went to people I knew and asked if they had friends at a company that might be hiring. It takes time but get out of the house and talk to people about jobs every day! Don't hibernate and stay by yourself...I did that for awhile and it made things more depressing. Chin up and make it happen!

Well, yeah, it's been a pretty rough year for me but I can't really afford to be depressed now so I'm trying to stay as active as possible to keep my mind busy. I do apply for jobs online and hand out C.V's in person, I'm telling everyone about my search, that's why I even posted here, you never know where you might find someone that knows someone that is hiring, even if it's a long shot here. Thanks.

Posted by: sealingwax ()
Date: August 11, 2011 09:50

I'm in a similar position myself.

Lost my job of 17 years in June as company went bust. Have applied for nigh on 30 jobs now and have sent my CV all over the place - nothing back from anyone yet. I even recently re-checked my CV contact details incase I had entered them incorrectly, hence no responses - I hadn't.

Am trying to remain positive, but some days you do feel like you'll never work again!

Date: August 11, 2011 16:27

Another draw back I found was where I did so much temporary work I couldn't apply for any work where they wanted a traceable 2 year work history. As I'd taken any work rather than nothing it was considered too much trouble to check so I'd have been a more 'suitable' candidate not working or in prison.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:06

I went through it 2 years ago and my wife has this year and is right now having an interview for (finally) a permanent job. You have to keep plugging away and something,often from an unexpected direction will be there for you.

Good luck Stones78

sc uk

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home