Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Taylor's slide guitar tuning on Brussels '73
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 8, 2011 14:00

Beats me, but here's the definite proof that it's not a problem playing cool slide licks with the slide on your middle finger. <DP>

Great song.
Ron is walking through a "slide-minefield" here.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 18, 2011 02:19

tomk
Brian did that for Little Red Rooster.

No!

Brian used open G tuning for LRR both live and for the studio version.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 18, 2011 02:39

His Majesty
tomk

No!

Studio, yes. Regarding live, what proof do you have that it's not just him dropping his high E to D? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like some more proof of it.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 18, 2011 02:47

tomk
Studio, yes. Regarding live, what proof do you have that it's not just him dropping his high E to D? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like some more proof of it.

Brian always changed guitars to play Little Red Rooster, which strongly suggests a different tuning. See here...

Date: August 18, 2011 02:53

tomk
His Majesty
tomk

No!

what he plays and how he plays it tells us it's open G and as mentioned above he switched guitars when playing LRR etc.

Date: August 18, 2011 02:53

Sleepy City
tomk

Brian always changed guitars to play Little Red Rooster, which strongly suggests a different tuning. See here...

All I'm suggesting is that he just dropped his high E to D for gigs like this for LRR and not tuning his whole guitar to open G.

Date: August 18, 2011 03:09

tomk

All I'm suggesting is that he just dropped his high E to D for gigs like this for LRR and not tuning his whole guitar to open G.

I get that, but he didn't. Brian had a 2nd guitar tuned to open G and switched to it when they did LRR.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: August 18, 2011 03:18

Mathijs
Swedgen72

All Taylor's slide playing is in standard tuning. 100% correct as I asked him when he came out here a few years ago and he told me.

Love in Vain from Ya-Ya's, and Stop Breaking Down from Exile is Taylor doing slide in open G. Hyde Park No Expectations as well, and I think he does open G slide on Moonlight Mile.

Mathijs

Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%. When I got the album in 1970 I was just starting playing guitar, and I just had one gool - to play Love In Vain like Taylor. I prac. for month and month. Today I play Vain 100% as Taylor did on Ya-Ya, but the Hyde Park version can be played both in standard and open G.The same goes for Stop Breaking Down. In reality its all a matter of taste.
I allways play JJF in standard tuning, and Honky Tonk both in standard and open G ( off cause not at the same time LOL). I never played Expectations or Moonlight, (dont like them) so I cant say much about that, but Expectations sounds to me like standard tuning - or maybe another open tuning .I think Taylor played in lots of open tunings - you can tune your guitar as you like. I,ve bought a book years ago about open tunings - really funny stuff!

Lets rock,n roll
goodnight and sleep tight

cheers Bo hot smiley

Date: August 18, 2011 03:24

His Majesty
tomk

I get that, but he didn't. Brian had a 2nd guitar tuned to open G and switched to it when they did LRR.

I get your point. It's just as easy to play LRR with the drop D as it is in open G
Easier, really--only for tuning purposes in those maddening tours and TV shows.

Date: August 18, 2011 03:38

tomk

I get your point. It's just as easy to play LRR with the drop D as it is in open G

Nothing maddening about changing guitars for one song or so, which he is shown doing at lots of gigs and tv shows.

The footage confirms he used open G, the audio confirms he used open G. He used open G for LRR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 03:39 by His Majesty.

Date: August 18, 2011 03:55

His Majesty
tomk

Nothing maddening about changing guitars for one song or so, which he is shown doing at lots of gigs and tv shows.

The footage confirms he used open G, the audio confirms he used open G. He used open G for LRR.

So we'll disagree. No use getting our kickers in a twist...over the tuning of 2 guitar strings...eh?!

Date: August 18, 2011 04:04

tomk

So we'll disagree. No use getting our kickers in a twist...over the tuning of 2 guitar strings...eh?!

No use posting nonsense about it either when it's clear what tuning he is using. eye rolling smiley

All this stuff about ease and practicality etc has nothing to do with Brian Jones playing LRR.

Every available version of Little Red Rooster with Brian Jones playing guitar features him using open G tuning!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 04:47 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 04:49

hedegaard
Mathijs
Swedgen72

All Taylor's slide playing is in standard tuning. 100% correct as I asked him when he came out here a few years ago and he told me.

Love in Vain from Ya-Ya's, and Stop Breaking Down from Exile is Taylor doing slide in open G. Hyde Park No Expectations as well, and I think he does open G slide on Moonlight Mile.

Mathijs

Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%. When I got the album in 1970 I was just starting playing guitar, and I just had one gool - to play Love In Vain like Taylor. I prac. for month and month. Today I play Vain 100% as Taylor did on Ya-Ya, but the Hyde Park version can be played both in standard and open G.The same goes for Stop Breaking Down. In reality its all a matter of taste.
I allways play JJF in standard tuning, and Honky Tonk both in standard and open G ( off cause not at the same time LOL). I never played Expectations or Moonlight, (dont like them) so I cant say much about that, but Expectations sounds to me like standard tuning - or maybe another open tuning .I think Taylor played in lots of open tunings - you can tune your guitar as you like. I,ve bought a book years ago about open tunings - really funny stuff!

Lets rock,n roll
goodnight and sleep tight

cheers Bo hot smiley

Love In Vain from Ya-Ya's is open G for me, sounds 100% like it, the solos from 1972 which are in standard tuning sound quite different, same for Stop Breaking Down, I mean, those minor 3rds all over the verses. Moonlight Mile is also in open G, don't know about No Expectations on Hyde Park, the version from 1973 sounds open G to me.

Date: August 18, 2011 06:01

LRR is easily played like tomk says. I mean, from dropping both E's to Open G it is just the A string left. And I can not judge from that clip. Brian is very much favoring the high strings. That little lick without slide he keeps fitting in between, rides much on the G-B-D setup of the higher strings, so..
Is there any quote where Brian or Keith have said that Brain kept an Open G guitar ?
Changing guitar doesn't really mean all that. Could be for various reasons.
I obviously can't say this for a fact, but from the sound of that Mark III guitar before it doesn't sound like it lends itself to slide on Blues.

Date: August 18, 2011 13:40

Palace Revolution 2000
LRR is easily played like tomk says. I mean, from dropping both E's to Open G it is just the A string left. And I can not judge from that clip. Brian is very much favoring the high strings. That little lick without slide he keeps fitting in between, rides much on the G-B-D setup of the higher strings, so..
Is there any quote where Brian or Keith have said that Brain kept an Open G guitar ?
I obviously can't say this for a fact, but from the sound of that Mark III guitar before it doesn't sound like it lends itself to slide on Blues.

You are looking for things that just aren't there.

Brian plays the 5th string and it sounds just like it should on a guitar tuned to open G, ie it is tuned down to G, same with the 1st high string, it is tuned to D. In other words he has his guitar tuned to open G. Same thing on every Brian era version of LRR available.

He used open E for live versions of I Wanna Be Your Man, Mona in 1963/64, open G for live versions of Little Red Rooster in 1965, open A for live No Expectations at Rock and Roll Circus in 1968.

There are no recordings available featuring Brian playing guitar using anything other than full standard tuning or full open tuning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 13:56 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 18, 2011 16:00

hedegaard

Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%.
(

No, I'm really sorry but the solo of LIV from Ya-Ya's (and in fact the entire '69 tour) is open G. Taylor used Keith's Bigsby Burst, which Keith also used for HTW. This Burst was only five strings, and open G.

Mathijs

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 16:31

Mathijs
hedegaard

Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%.
(

No, I'm really sorry but the solo of LIV from Ya-Ya's (and in fact the entire '69 tour) is open G. Taylor used Keith's Bigsby Burst, which Keith also used for HTW. This Burst was only five strings, and open G.

Mathijs

was gonna say the same thing
when the two micks are howling in unison at the end : aaaaaaaaaaaaall , all my love etc the guitar plays D (2nd STRING and F ( st STRNG)

i remember you saying you used to have a whole series of shots of that solo , if you found them , now is the time to post the evidence ! or a close up of keith playing the guitar

of course , the back cover shows mick playing the slide on that very guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-18 17:09 by straycatblues73.

Date: August 18, 2011 17:55

Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%. <hedegaard>

<Mathijs>

What a boring discussion "right or wrong" concerning such a rudimentary subject.
Any player telling me he can do the Taylor gyyo! Love in vain slide solo in standard tuning -which is possible if you want to- I would say: "congrats, how did you manage to do that"...
More educational and interesting from a guitarist's point of view.

Kindergarten.

Taylor with & without slide:

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 18, 2011 19:07

straycatblues73

i remember you saying you used to have a whole series of shots of that solo , if you found them , now is the time to post the evidence ! or a close up of keith playing the guitar

The set of pictures can be found on a website I completely forgot it's name. It wasn't Wolfgangs, I think it was some kind of press agency, or from that website of Ronnie Schneider. It was all pics of MSG '69, with a couple of Taylor, taken from a lower standpoint. Taylor's face is mostly covered in his hair, he's playing the Bigsby burst with a slide.

There's plenty of pics of keith with the Bigsby Burst in '69, and can also be seen during HTW of the Gimme Shelter movie.

Mathijs

Date: August 19, 2011 00:04

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

You are looking for things that just aren't there.

Brian plays the 5th string and it sounds just like it should on a guitar tuned to open G, ie it is tuned down to G, same with the 1st high string, it is tuned to D. In other words he has his guitar tuned to open G. Same thing on every Brian era version of LRR available.

He used open E for live versions of I Wanna Be Your Man, Mona in 1963/64, open G for live versions of Little Red Rooster in 1965, open A for live No Expectations at Rock and Roll Circus in 1968.

There are no recordings available featuring Brian playing guitar using anything other than full standard tuning or full open tuning.
I really wasn't looking for anything. Just stating my opinion.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: August 19, 2011 00:09

Date: August 19, 2011 00:16

Palace Revolution 2000

thumbs up

There's nothing to support tomk's suggestion that Brian only tuned down one string. The Sullivan clip proves he didn't. What Brian plays, how and where he plays certain notes can only be done with open G.

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 00:17 by His Majesty.

Date: August 19, 2011 00:43

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

thumbs up

There's nothing to support tomk's suggestion that Brian only tuned down one string. The Sullivan clip proves he didn't. What Brian plays, how and where he plays certain notes can only be done with open G.

cool smiley

The Sullivan clip seems to be gone from YouTube (at least on my end), so I'll have to look at my DVDs. Which part is Brian using the fifth string? The main riff?If I remember correctly, he's got a small slide. Hey, look, I'm not trying to start an argument. I have better things to do. You seem to be the Brian Jones guy around here. I'm just asking. Funny, the Sullivan clip was there yesterday.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:20

Amsterdamned
Love in vain from Ya-Ya is in standard tuning 100000000%. <hedegaard>

<Mathijs>

What a boring discussion "right or wrong" concerning such a rudimentary subject.
Any player telling me he can do the Taylor gyyo! Love in vain slide solo in standard tuning -which is possible if you want to- I would say: "congrats, how did you manage to do that"...
More educational and interesting from a guitarist's point of view.

Kindergarten.

Mr. Amsterdamned from the kindergarden: if this discussion is boring you, you might as well stay out of it - right?

thumbs down

Date: August 19, 2011 01:28

Relax man. I didn't intend to offend you. The subject is not boring me: the approach is. Do you want a fish or a fishing rod?

Good luck with your solo.

Date: August 19, 2011 01:53

tomk
The Sullivan clip seems to be gone from YouTube (at least on my end), so I'll have to look at my DVDs. Which part is Brian using the fifth string? The main riff?If I remember correctly, he's got a small slide. Hey, look, I'm not trying to start an argument. I have better things to do. You seem to be the Brian Jones guy around here. I'm just asking. Funny, the Sullivan clip was there yesterday.

The clip is still there, but you need to watch it on YouTube (not here):

Date: August 19, 2011 02:05

tomk

Sometimes during main riff and sometimes when he slides to C and answers Micks "the dogs begin a Barking" the repeated, low note... din din din din din.

His high thin 1st string is definitely tuned down to D and his 5th string is tuned down to G. He doesn't seem to use the low wound 6th string, but it would
make sense that he'd have that tuned to D as well. In other words, full open G tuning.

He plays it much the same on all the other live versions available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 02:08 by His Majesty.

Date: August 19, 2011 02:20

Sleepy City
tomk

I found it again on You Tube. Thanks. I searched and searched this afternoon.

Date: August 19, 2011 02:53

tomk
Sleepy City
tomk

I found it again on You Tube. Thanks. I searched and searched this afternoon.

Why search when you could've clicked on the link I posted yesterday?

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 19, 2011 04:00

I love this topic..I wondered myself about Mick Taylor's slide playing in standard and Brian's as well.

Coming Down Again

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home