Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Long Long While" in STEREO?
Posted by: perjak ()
Date: March 6, 2016 11:56

Hello fellow fans,

Anyone who knows, if "Long Long While" exists in a STEREO version?

Thanks

PJ

Re: "Long Long While" in STEREO?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 6, 2016 15:30

Good question - because 'Long Long While' is listed as #S261 (6-9 March 1966 RCA Studios, Hollywood, USA) in the [stonessessions.com] exactly between 'Paint It Black' and 'Under My Thumb'. Latter both have Stereo-Mixes.

Maybe someone who has these Bootlegs can tell which Mix of 'Long Long While' it is: [dbboots.com] .

The remarks to the compilation 'No Stone Unturned' say: "Stereo - The tracks A1, A3, A5 to B3, B5, B6 [marked * on release] are mono recordings electronically reprocessed to give stereo effect on stereo equipment." [www.discogs.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 16:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 6, 2016 16:40

As a mix-nerd of The Rolling Stones' recordings, I can confirm that Long Long While only exists in mono and that a stereo version has never ever appeared either officially or non-officially. Records claiming otherwise, are either wrongly labelled or are in fake-stereo.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 6, 2016 17:47

Blueranger
As a mix-nerd of The Rolling Stones' recordings, I can confirm that Long Long While only exists in mono and that a stereo version has never ever appeared either officially or non-officially. Records claiming otherwise, are either wrongly labelled or are in fake-stereo.

Yes, it's on the old Decca compilation "No Stone Unturned" in the dreaded "Electronically re-processed for stereo".
Horrid.

[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 18:12 by Deltics.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 6, 2016 18:49

Surely a true-stereo mix exists of this and many other after-the-1st LP recordings. I'm afraid we'll all be dead before some bored record company employee decides to exhume them from vaults. At least the Beatles had someone who cared looking after their legacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 18:52 by MrTurner.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 6, 2016 21:51

...maybe ..one day.!

Posted by: perjak ()
Date: March 7, 2016 14:40

Thanks to all of you for the qualified comments.

Now I am wiser, and - older cool smiley

perjak

Date: March 7, 2016 17:10

Deltics

Yes, it's on the old Decca compilation "No Stone Unturned" in the dreaded "Electronically re-processed for stereo". Horrid.

Is this 'electronically re-processed Stereo' the same Mix as the Ping-Pong-Stereo of 'Paint It Black' and 'Under My Thumb' or does this 'electronically re-processed Stereo' sound like the Pseudo-Stereo generated by a High-Pass/Low-Pass-Filter as at the Beatles US-Capitol-Mixes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 18:00 by Irix.

Posted by: ReelStone ()
Date: March 8, 2016 18:00

This is stereo alright.

DOWNLOAD

Date: March 8, 2016 18:02

Irix
Deltics

Yes, it's on the old Decca compilation "No Stone Unturned" in the dreaded "Electronically re-processed for stereo". Horrid.

Is this 'electronically re-processed Stereo' the same Mix as the Ping-Pong-Stereo of 'Paint It Black' and 'Under My Thumb' or does this 'electronically re-processed Stereo' sound like the Pseudo-Stereo generated by a High-Pass/Low-Pass-Filter as at the Beatles US-Capitol-Mixes?

What's wrong with the stereo mix of UMT?

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 8, 2016 21:27

ReelStone
This is stereo alright.

DOWNLOAD

Sounds like it - what is your source?

Date: March 9, 2016 12:10

DandelionPowderman

Nothing, but I would say it's still a kind of Ping-Pong-Stereo -- when listening via Headphones: Drums, Bass & Marimba are left, Guitars are right, Vocals & Percussion are in the middle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 12:35 by Irix.

Date: March 9, 2016 12:25

ReelStone
This is stereo alright.

DOWNLOAD

Via Headphones it sounds like a Mono-Mix plus a Guitar on the right channel ....

Date: March 9, 2016 12:39

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Nothing, but I would say it's still a kind of Ping-Pong-Stereo -- when listening via Headphones: Drums, Bass & Marimba are left, Guitars are right, Vocals & Percussion are in the middle.

In other words, a classic 5 minutes 60s stereo mix smiling smiley

For some reason, I thought this mix worked nicely on this particular song.

Date: March 9, 2016 12:45

DandelionPowderman

For some reason, I thought this mix worked nicely on this particular song.

thumbs up Yes, it does.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: March 10, 2016 16:31

Never heard it in Stereo anyway. I think everything recorded in Chicago and in the RCA studios in Hollywood have been recorded in a way that should be possible to release in stereo, but either there is no interest or the session tapes are lost. I don't know where or when Long long while was recorded but if in 1966, no matter where, everything was recorded at least on 4 tracks? One can also wonder why tracks released in fake stereo suddently appears in real stereo on later releases? Why not real from the start?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 10, 2016 17:41

Matt
Never heard it in Stereo anyway. I think everything recorded in Chicago and in the RCA studios in Hollywood have been recorded in a way that should be possible to release in stereo, but either there is no interest or the session tapes are lost. I don't know where or when Long long while was recorded but if in 1966, no matter where, everything was recorded at least on 4 tracks? One can also wonder why tracks released in fake stereo suddently appears in real stereo on later releases? Why not real from the start?

Why not real from the start? Well, when all those "electronically reprocessed for stereo" tracks were released (mostly on compilatons) in various countries, the local DECCA departments or sometimes even licensees had no access to original session tapes to produce a true stereo mix in cases where only mono mixes were available. Of course it could have been done, but it probably was too much of a hassle for, let's say TELDEC in Germany to ask DECCA in London for a "first time in real stereo"-mix, who in turn would have had to forward the request to ABKCO in the States, who in turn would have had to ask the Stones for permission to produce and release and "new" stereo mix, add to that the at times genuinely hostile relationship between ABKCO and the Stones (court cases etc.) and there you go - it becomes clear that using a fake stereo mix from a mono master was much easier than going through all this legal shit.

Plus, who knows if each and every session multitrack tape still exists? In cases where a mono master tape is all that's left, no true stereo mix will ever be possible.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 10, 2016 18:04

ReelStone
This is stereo alright.

DOWNLOAD

This is rubbish alright.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 11, 2016 01:31

alimente
Plus, who knows if each and every session multitrack tape still exists? In cases where a mono master tape is all that's left, no true stereo mix will ever be possible.

But not all hope is lost. Remember the I'm Free-remixes comissioned by ABKCO a decade ago? They would not have been possible without going back to the multitrack-tapes because it is impossible to separate a lead vocal track from a pure mono master tape. And I'm Free is from Out Of Our Heads, an album that was always available in mono only! And a true stereo mix of "I've Been Loving You Too Long" first appeared on the "More Hot Rocks" ABKCO remaster from 2002, a song that comes from the same time frame as "Long Long While".

The question indeed is why ABKCO does not explore this route even more. An album worth of true stereo mixes of songs previously available only in mono or fake stereo should have sufficient sales potential to justify the work and effort it needs to produce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 01:33 by retired_dog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home