Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: As Tears Go By
Posted by: René ()
Date: November 10, 2008 10:15

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

As Tears Go By
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards / Andrew Oldham)

IBC Studios, London, UK, October 26, 1965

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar
Mike Leander Orchestra - strings

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Smiling faces I can see, but not for me
I sit and watch as tears go by

My riches can't buy everything
I want to hear the children sing
All I hear is the sound of rain falling on the ground

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Doin' things I used to do, they think are new

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “December’s Children” LP
(London PS 451) US, December 4, 1965

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 19:33 by René.

Re: Track Talk: As Tears Go By
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: November 10, 2008 10:46

Such a sweet song!

It's the first (or at least one of the first ) Jagger/Richards - compositions (Oldham is credited for the string-arrangement)...

They already wrote it in early '64 for Marianne Faithfull.....but why did they record it for the Stones, 18 months later???

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2008 12:56

if memory serves, ALO says he also contributed some to the lyrics.
the original title/phrase was "as time goes by", but of course there was already a song by that name.

Keith has said it's the first Jagger/Richards song, but Mick and ALO have both said that's not right
and indeed it doesn't seem likely, since a bunch of other Jagger/Richards tunes were recorded before this one

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 10, 2008 17:45

with sssoul
if memory serves, ALO says he also contributed some to the lyrics.
the original title/phrase was "as time goes by", but of course there was already a song by that name.

Keith has said it's the first Jagger/Richards song, but Mick and ALO have both said that's not right
and indeed it doesn't seem likely, since a bunch of other Jagger/Richards tunes were recorded before this one

As far as I know ALO's contribution to the lyrics was exactly changing the title rhyme from "As Time Goes By" to "As Tears Go By", not to be confused with the Casablanca song or something... He did nothing less or more to earn the credition.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-10 17:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 7, 2010 15:30

Perhaps the sweetest yet most heartbreaking song in the Stones early work. Sort of the Stones answer to "Yesterday" (which I believe came out a month before), but I prefer ATGB. The strings are lovely, and Jagger's plaintive vocal captures the mood perfectly.

A gem.

Drew

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 7, 2010 16:32

So the US-market got it first? Incredible. One of their best ballads, even in Italian.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 7, 2010 17:05

Whilst I do indeed enjoy the Stones take on this early Jagger/Richards composition, I do prefer the original arrangement used on Marianne Faithfull's 1964 recording. It's often said to feature both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:54

If it hadn't been for the Beatles introducing strings on 'Yesterday', i doubt the Stones would ever have recorded this, it would have just been the song that they gave to Marianne. I think it is fabulous to hear the Stones performing 'As Tears Go By' alongside their more typical 'rock' songs, because i think it shows the Stones can also sound genuinely sensitive, and really rather tender too, in contrast to being rather more tough and macho, as they were for much of the time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 7, 2010 22:03

My favorite Keith acoustic part. The string passage is heartbreaking. Great song that ages beautifully.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 8, 2010 00:08

rocks like a mofo

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 8, 2010 08:19

amateurish fun... the dark lyrics affected me heavily when I was a wee lad.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: September 8, 2010 10:27

The version on "Shine a Light" is very funny, with Micks "eye rolling" .."oh this was great !" Looked like he was bit of embarrest.
Quiz: "When was the last time Mick did his famous "Eye-rolling" in front of a TV camera?"

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 8, 2010 16:16

That one of their earlest ballads would prove to be a highlight of SAL was a real surprise, and shows what a great song this really is. Changing 'time' to 'tears' was a stroke of brilliance.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 8, 2010 17:33

gimmelittledrink
Changing 'time' to 'tears' was a stroke of brilliance.

you must remember this, too....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2010 17:42

it's a shame the stones never played lady jayne live from 78 onward .

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 9, 2010 05:14

This is charming song that has only grown on me in recent years. It was always the Hot Rock I skipped. I saw them do it in Boston 2006 and ever since I've listened to it a lot. I also like Lady Jane and would love to see it played live.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 9, 2010 09:12

I turn soft when I hear it. Hate to say it, luv it.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 22, 2012 14:43

Date: October 22, 2012 14:45

So simple, yet so beautiful! Perhaps one of the best ballads ever - by any bands.

Posted by: Kevdog ()
Date: March 1, 2016 01:39

Want to explain the difference between the Beatles and the Stones to someone? Start with this track. Sadness inspires a lot of artists and the Stones are among them. Not so much The Beatles. Conversely, The Beatles express joy in ways The Stones can't even attempt. There is no Stones answer to She Loves You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah or I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 1, 2016 01:54

Kevdog
Want to explain the difference between the Beatles and the Stones to someone? Start with this track. Sadness inspires a lot of artists and the Stones are among them. Not so much The Beatles. Conversely, The Beatles express joy in ways The Stones can't even attempt. There is no Stones answer to She Loves You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah or I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Glad there wasn't an answer otherwise we would have two Beatles...............

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2016 02:37

I hated "Yesterday" when it was released, and I do dislike it still, while I have always liked "As Tears Go By" immensely.

[After all these years, maybe I ought to be thankful towards "Yesterday" for contributing to push me towards the best band.]

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 1, 2016 04:15

Johnny Thunders does a pretty good version.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2016 05:31

stunning!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 2, 2016 11:19

It's alright, I guess, but it's not a song I care much about. The Beatles were a better pop band, and Yesterday is far superior as far as melody and harmonics are concerned.
Having said that, I have a weak spot for the album Aftermath, which I think is the Stones' best effort at pop music.

Date: March 2, 2016 11:36

Lovely song! They should have released it at once themselves, though.

It wipes the floor with Yesterday, imo, with its simplistic approach and maturity.

It's hard to fathom that songs like As Tears Go By and Play With Fire came from these kids that early in their career.

Posted by: GimmieAnswers ()
Date: March 2, 2016 12:00

I remember I got 19th Nervous Breakdown as a singel to my 6th Birthday a fast cool song and then we turned the singel and listened to the B-side "As Tears Go By" !!?? we were blown away, even my parents loved it, they even let me play it in the living room !!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 2, 2016 13:11

Kevdog

What about Give Me Your Hand and Hold It Tight ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2016 22:39

DandelionPowderman
It's hard to fathom that songs like As Tears Go By and Play With Fire came from these kids that early in their career.

Agreed, especially the lyrics on each! And both just amazing songs!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 3, 2016 13:48

DandelionPowderman
Lovely song! They should have released it at once themselves, though.

It wipes the floor with Yesterday, imo, with its simplistic approach and maturity.

'Yesterday' wiped the floor with every single song composed during the 20th century what I remember...sooooooooooo...ATGB - Y 0-1....

smoking smiley
Paul Himself

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home