Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. MTV 30 years-old today
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 1, 2011 19:59

Hard to believe it has been 30 years since "Video Killed the Radio Star", and Mick saying, "I want my MTV". But what a joke it has become. It has nothing to do with music. It should be renamed CTV (Crap Television).

Re: O.T. MTV 30 years-old today
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:36

Agee about the current MTV....

Last night VH1 was replaying the first hour of MTV,complete with Atari commercials and all. Really hilarious, although I realized I still have a "thing" for Martha Quinn.............

And, if you ever want to win a bar bet, the second video ever played on MTV was "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar...................winking smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:51

EMPTYV is its proper name.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:53

KSIE
Agee about the current MTV....

Last night VH1 was replaying the first hour of MTV,complete with Atari commercials and all. Really hilarious, although I realized I still have a "thing" for Martha Quinn.............

And, if you ever want to win a bar bet, the second video ever played on MTV was "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar...................winking smiley
Yeah I watched some of that last night. Pretty funny.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:06

Rock as we knew it began to die 30 years ago.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:44

DaveG
Hard to believe it has been 30 years since "Video Killed the Radio Star", and Mick saying, "I want my MTV". But what a joke it has become. It has nothing to do with music. It should be renamed CTV (Crap Television).

AND they do not even play their own tape of their first show??? They have VH1 do it??? I know it is all conglomerate owned... but WTF?? It should be renamed CTV (Crap Television).

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2011 22:02

loog droog

that may seem to be a bit of a dramatic statement but its entirely true.the video explosion had a horrible effect on the quality of music

musicians began writing songs with the video in mind and after listening to hours of studio recordings set to film the fans began to expect a more canned,pristine live sound at concerts.

anyone upset that the stones don't play it as fast and loose onstage as they once did can look no further.you have only yourselves to blame.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 1, 2011 22:10

Yes, suddenly bands had more to be concerned with than just putting out a quality record. They now had to be actors (actually, more posers than actors), and record sales were tied in with the videos. It really did alter the music landscape, and not for the good. I will never forget when, around the time of the birth of MTV, my younger brother asked me if I had "seen" a particular new song.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2011 22:12

lem motlow
loog droog

that may seem to be a bit of a dramatic statement but its entirely true.the video explosion had a horrible effect on the quality of music

musicians began writing songs with the video in mind and after listening to hours of studio recordings set to film the fans began to expect a more canned,pristine live sound at concerts.

anyone upset that the stones don't play it as fast and loose onstage as they once did can look no further.you have only yourselves to blame.

I think the video explosion was a few years before that to be honest. I seem to recall 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in 1975 being one of the first to be widely shown, but so were videos by Abba etc during the latter half of the 70s (& yes, I know The Rolling Stones, The Beatles & others made videos back in the 60s).

Date: August 1, 2011 22:13

DaveG
They now had to be actors (actually, more posers than actors)...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:26

lem motlow
loog droog

And even the biggest and srongest of them ried to cope with the trends... like here:

[www.youtube.com]

(But bloody good guitar solo there...smoking smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:37

I absolutely loved MTV when it first came out.
I watched non-stop for about 5 years.

I absolutely hate MTV now.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:38

For a while there, it seemed that MTV would be around forever, so its funny that MTV is virtually obsolete now.
It was a relatively brief moment in time, thank God.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:42

The day the music died.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 00:42 by Deltics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:59

I didn't had a TV back in the 80's so I missed the whole thing ...and I don't think I missed something...looking back at the those videos.

Date: August 2, 2011 00:09

NICOS
I didn't had a TV back in the 80's so I missed the whole thing ...and I don't think I missed something...looking back at the those videos.

I only had 3 channels in 1981 (like most of the UK), & none of them was MTV.

Date: August 2, 2011 00:32

sleepy city-"I think the video explosion was a few years before that to be honest. I seem to recall 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in 1975 being one of the first to be widely shown, but so were videos by Abba etc during the latter half of the 70s (& yes, I know The Rolling Stones, The Beatles & others made videos back in the 60s)".[/quote]

i think you're missing the point here a bit sleepy city.the videos you're referring to were called promotional clips and they go back even further than the 60's.
they were shown on various tv shows and even in theaters before movies to promote records.its true they were being used a bit more by the late 70's but when mtv came along it took that to entirely new level-24 hour videos shown all over the world.

record companies saw an angle and jumped in with both feet and it was a freakin travesty.

not only did it make some very good artists look like clowns it took away the fans imagination.suddenly instead of a song having a certain meaning to you that was unique,you were being spoon fed an image and usually a not very well crafted one at that.

i would bet a large sum of money that the words "if theres a bustle in your hedge row dont be alarmed now,its just a spring clean for the may queen" creates a different picture in everyone on this boards brain.

but i digress...the whole thing was f/cking cheesy.

Date: August 2, 2011 00:38

lem motlow
i think you're missing the point here a bit sleepy city.the videos you're referring to were called promotional clips and they go back even further than the 60's.
they were shown on various tv shows and even in theaters before movies to promote records.its true they were being used a bit more by the late 70's but when mtv came along it took that to entirely new level-24 hour videos shown all over the world.

record companies saw an angle and jumped in with both feet and it was a freakin travesty.

not only did it make some very good artists look like clowns it took away the fans imagination.suddenly instead of a song having a certain meaning to you that was unique,you were being spoon fed an image and usually a not very well crafted one at that.

i would bet a large sum of money that the words "if theres a bustle in your hedge row dont be alarmed now,its just a spring clean for the may queen" creates a different picture in everyone on this boards brain.

but i digress...the whole thing was f/cking cheesy.

My point regarding 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is that it was probably the first record (at least in the UK) that owed a large amount of it's sales to it's memorable video. I really don't think that was the case with 'Penny Lane' or 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'.

...and to be fair some of the RS videos from the MTV age were great fun (the 3 from Undercover spring to mind).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 00:51 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2011 00:43

...entertaining in the first coupla years then nose-dived inta a kiddy show....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 2, 2011 01:14

sleepy city-i noticed in one of your posts you said you didnt have mtv back then so you might not realise the effect it had on popular music the world over.
you can add this to this list of this you didnt have-bubonic plague,a clubbed foot,famine,pestilence etc..

and the stones video clips were great way before mtv..

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:24

And this is what I hate most of music video or TV in common .. every time you want to look at something it's gone...........

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:33

Here are Jagger and teh director Julian Temple discussing seriously about this new form of art, "video".

- Doxa

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:51

I loved the old MTV.

Date: August 2, 2011 03:42

lem motlow
sleepy city-i noticed in one of your posts you said you didnt have mtv back then so you might not realise the effect it had on popular music the world over.
you can add this to this list of this you didnt have-bubonic plague,a clubbed foot,famine,pestilence etc..

and the stones video clips were great way before mtv..

I don't think it had much of an impact in the UK for several years, as very few people had cable.

Not sure that I'd regard many of the 1973 - 1981 Stones videos as "great", as most were merely (mimed) performance videos. I liked Waiting On A Friend though.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 2, 2011 04:51

I remember seeing the Stones perform "Start Me Up" with the out of sync singing by Mick. He came out in those white sweat pants with that striped purple t-shirt. I ran out to buy one. I was living in San Diego at the time.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 2, 2011 07:22

From Martha and her muffin to Snooki. From merely stupid to subhuman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home