Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What's Stones' most overlooked or forgotten album?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:58

The U.S. release of The Rolling Stones Now!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 2, 2011 03:35

NICOS
Sleepy City
JJHMick
Silver Dagger
Rolling Stones No 2. Perhaps because there's nothing flash about it - just great solid r'n'b showing the group working as one hell of a tight little unit. And taking the world is just around the corner.

I remember a list from Q magazine or the like of the 10 best sellers of the 60s. It was the best selling Stones album of the decade and on No. 10 or 9 amongst Beatles and CCR - records that had almost half a dozen singles on it. No.2 has only Off The Hook, b-side of Litle Red Rooster

What Beatles album had almost half a dozen singles on it? Certainly not a UK one.

He meant the Blue and RED one....

What, best sellers of the 60s?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 2, 2011 03:36

Gazza
Sleepy City
JJHMick
Silver Dagger
Rolling Stones No 2. Perhaps because there's nothing flash about it - just great solid r'n'b showing the group working as one hell of a tight little unit. And taking the world is just around the corner.

I remember a list from Q magazine or the like of the 10 best sellers of the 60s. It was the best selling Stones album of the decade and on No. 10 or 9 amongst Beatles and CCR - records that had almost half a dozen singles on it. No.2 has only Off The Hook, b-side of Litle Red Rooster

What Beatles album had almost half a dozen singles on it? Certainly not a UK one.

That was an 80's phenomenon. I think 'Come Together'/'Something' was the first Beatles single to be taken from an album that was already out. Usually, if a single was on an album, it was released BEFORE the album came out.

Well some albums still included a couple of A sides (Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night, Help!), but certainly not half a dozen.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 2, 2011 08:31

In 1989 my answer would have been Black and blue. I remember finding it, finally, at Ã…hlens Tcentralen, Stockholm in 1989. It was clearly the forgotten album of the 80s.

Date: August 2, 2011 08:32

DandelionPowderman
Love You Live. Much better than its reputation, imo.

Yes. That's the one.

Date: August 2, 2011 08:34

Palace Revolution 2000
'Between the Buttons'. I say that it is the most overlooked because IMO the ratio between quality and overlooked-ness is the biggest.

One thing (and I even see it in this very thread) is that the pre Banquet Stones are overlooked very much on this board.

Yeah I dont think its overlooked by fans who followed them from the very beginning?

Date: August 2, 2011 08:35

NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Not sure, more underrated than forgotten.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 3, 2011 06:07

The British edition of Aftermath. Folks in the States didn't widely hear this configuration until 2002, but it's probably their 5th best album ever, behind Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: August 3, 2011 06:54

Agree with Redhotcarpet on Black and Blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-03 06:55 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 3, 2011 08:26

I haven't listened to Beggar's Banquet in a while, oddly enough. Time to give that one a spin.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 3, 2011 09:25

Redhotcarpet
NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

No, I'll agree that IORR album is. There's a lot of people, me included, who have a fondness for Goats Head Soup and get into debates about it (coming after Exile and all that). And then Black and Blue gets a lot of debate on here regarding its merits. But between those two they did release an album called IORR that, to me, gets forgotten or passed up. Not to say there hasn't been discussions about it, it's just been, well, overlooked AND forgotten. Of all the major releases since, say, Aftermath, IORR is talked about the least. Terrific record, I thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-03 09:27 by tomk.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 3, 2011 10:20

tomk
Redhotcarpet
NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

No, I'll agree that IORR album is. There's a lot of people, me included, who have a fondness for Goats Head Soup and get into debates about it (coming after Exile and all that). And then Black and Blue gets a lot of debate on here regarding its merits. But between those two they did release an album called IORR that, to me, gets forgotten or passed up. Not to say there hasn't been discussions about it, it's just been, well, overlooked AND forgotten. Of all the major releases since, say, Aftermath, IORR is talked about the least. Terrific record, I thought.

You thought IORR was terrific? Why? Not so much disagreeing as curious to hear what you liked most about it.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 3, 2011 10:32

Rocking Rolling Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 3, 2011 10:33

Well, the fact that no one has even mentioned it to this point, and the fact that I never hear anyting about it, would lead me to conclude December's Children (and Everybody's) should be near the top of the list.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 3, 2011 16:19

Undercover

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 3, 2011 16:21

More Hot Rocks

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 3, 2011 16:35

Sucking in the 70s, and for good reason.....

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 3, 2011 17:14

Black and Blue

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 3, 2011 21:04

Undercover

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 3, 2011 21:34

Bridges To Babylon

their best post-reunification album (to date)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 3, 2011 21:56

tomk
Redhotcarpet
NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

That's is what I thought too about IORR (forgotten), most discussed is the Stones early stuff pre 66's their '67 psycho period, their TOP4, Goats Head Soup (bit disappointed after their TOP4) then Black and Blue, '78-'81 and '83-2006

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 3, 2011 22:13

1960's: December's Children
1970's: It's Only Rock and Roll
1980's: Undercover
1990's: Bridges To Babylon

*Special notice to Ya Ya's...one of the 5 greatest live albums ever in the genre and somehow rarely mentioned in lists of top Stones albums. This is the album that defined their new, heavier sound and feel to a modern, more discerning audience, and thereby cemented their reputation as the defining rock and roll band at the height of the Rock age. The albums immediately following this live disc would reassert that the ferocious, mature vibe heard on Ya Ya's was indeed the Stones' Mach II and the 70's were here.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 3, 2011 22:23

Flashpoint

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 3, 2011 22:58

Sleepy City
Gazza
Sleepy City
JJHMick
Silver Dagger

That was an 80's phenomenon. I think 'Come Together'/'Something' was the first Beatles single to be taken from an album that was already out. Usually, if a single was on an album, it was released BEFORE the album came out.

Well some albums still included a couple of A sides (Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night, Help!), but certainly not half a dozen.

Back on the board after some days. Back from the cellar ruining some cardboard boxes with hundreds of dozens of different magazine titles. What was the name of the column it might have been in because it was no extra article? Was it really Q? Or Mojo? Or Uncut? Or isn't it in the cellar but in this cupboard? Or even amongst the Stones books (some magazines stuffed in between if they consisted some special Stones info - overlooking this chart?)? Give me some more days (to explain the chaos to my wife coming back from the holidays tomorrow...).
Of course, the term "half a dozen" was meant ironically but as the Beatles lps were mentioned here there were a lot of early 60s records obviously selling throughout the decade though the "classical" lp period (not only for the Stones) probably began about the mid 60s or even later.
So, my memory says, it was the top 10: No. 2 plus about 2-3 lps each by the Beatles, CCR and Simon & Garfunkel and probably one further. And at least the two Americans must have consisted of (almost) "half a dozen" singles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-04 00:06 by JJHMick.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: August 3, 2011 23:08

Erik_Snow
"Overlooked"
"Forgotten"

These labels doesn't make much sense. It's like "overrated" - who rated them?

If albums are forgotten, then they probably deserve it; in the homes of the people who forgot them.

Is "underratted" more correct then??

Rolling Stones no. 2

Bo >grinning smiley<

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 4, 2011 00:08

Btw, there is an old saying that the second album is always the most difficult and in most bands' cases their last...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: August 4, 2011 00:08

iorr!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 4, 2011 05:14

71Tele
tomk
Redhotcarpet
NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

You thought IORR was terrific? Why? Not so much disagreeing as curious to hear what you liked most about it.

I've always like the tunes and the playing. I got into the Stones when GHS came out, so naturally, their next release I was looking forward to (plus the promo films and all). I was too young to compare it with previous albums which everybody now seems to do, comparing everything to Exile and whatever. I've always took albums at face value. And the songs and albums I liked as a kid I still like. However, I first got IORR on an 8-track. When that tape broke, I bought the vinyl and was kinda disappointed at the muddy mix. The 8-track didn't have that.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 4, 2011 05:35

ONE (of many) of the best things about my Rolling Stones is the fact that they have SSSSSOOOOOOooooooo many albums aaaannnnnddd SSSSSOOOOOOooooo many tours that there can even be threads called "most overlooked" "most overated" "most ballywhooed" album/tours etc etc...

Heavens to Betsy, how many bands even have enough albums/tours to come close to doing these even comparisions?.... and no, I dont really want to hear about any other bands... it is just that the Stones have soooooo many album with such a wide variety of music on them....it is astonishing.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: August 4, 2011 05:55

It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Its such a Mick Taylor album really, but the engine room of Keith/Bill/Charlie definitely has its moments. There is a nice variety of songs... some good ballads. The best ballad of them was left off... Through the Lonely Nights.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home