Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones ruled the 1990's.
Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 2, 2011 08:17

lem motlow
i totally agree....think about that-

the rolling stones were the most successful touring act in music during the decade of the 1990's

our band,the rolling stones owned the live music business for the entire decade.there is no wiggle room for the naysayers or debate,they freakin owned it.

1990,1994 and 1995. 1997,1998.and they finished with what was for me, the best i saw the band play since 75 the no security tour in 1999.

its funny theimposter started this thread because i was just thinking about this same thing the other day.can anyone name a band or hell,just an act,i dont care if you use the barnum and bailey circus,anyone who has come close to what the stones did in the 90's

it took U2 until this year just to surpass the voodoo lounge tour.we bitch about everything they do,i think we should just throw our band a little credit on this one.

Indeed,you took words outta my mouth!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 2, 2011 09:34

They became a nostalgia band in 1989. They produced a half albums worth of notable new material since then. They were a band that reinvented itself, usually because a guitarist died or moved on. They were a band that augmented its sound with new and top notch sidemen, usually pianists. They became a nostalgia band, but the best, with each tour giving a little more of the past that maybe they hadn't recreated in some time. Although each change of guitarists changed the sound, often with striking results, their choice for replacement bass guitarist left them thin sounding, and with little of the melodic creativity the band used to have in spades in their rhythm section.

Although they are in desperate need of a creative studio infusion, it is highly unlikely at this point that any such miracle will occur. We will be lucky to say, "Hey, that's a pretty good Stones song", ala 'Rough Justice'. The Stones ruled the 90s due to their touring prowess. 'You Got Me Rocking' got added to the stage mix, but only because it has that classic sound. 'Streets Of Love' is now the t-shirt or beer run usually reserved for Keith's set. But all that touring in the 90s brought us the No Security Tour and for that I am forever grateful. I got to see Charlie on a great night, and Keith. I think the peaks are over, although I saw Mick put on one hell of a show in 2006.

We have been blessed.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 2, 2011 09:39

very well said,you know here we worry and whine about stupid set lists,when you really think of this,its even miracle itself that we´re still alive.As anything can happen in life,so we have been blessed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 8, 2011 11:33

I could also have been Dinosaur Jr that ruled it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 8, 2011 18:22

The Stones ruled the nineties...
Yeah, the 1890's !

<crickets chirping...>

Date: August 8, 2011 18:23

'Cause they're so old ... ya know.

Date: August 8, 2011 18:23

The EIGHTEEN- Nineties.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 9, 2011 15:45

MileHigh
I am going to guess the last tour that completely sold out was 1981-82.
And the new generation?
MileHigh
All 2nd shows in Germany in 1982 have been 2/3rds empty except for the Arena shows in Frankfurt and the one stop in Berlin.. So do not speak of sell outs only in 1982.
The most succesful tour in sell out concerts was Steel Wheels in 1989 (NOT Urban Jungle) and Voodoo Lounge came pretty close.
1982 was the first time that you got tickets for 10 D-Mark in front of the stadium before opening.

Date: August 9, 2011 16:18

Grison
MileHigh
I am going to guess the last tour that completely sold out was 1981-82.
And the new generation?
MileHigh
All 2nd shows in Germany in 1982 have been 2/3rds empty except for the Arena shows in Frankfurt and the one stop in Berlin.. So do not speak of sell outs only in 1982.
The most succesful tour in sell out concerts was Steel Wheels in 1989 (NOT Urban Jungle) and Voodoo Lounge came pretty close.
1982 was the first time that you got tickets for 10 D-Mark in front of the stadium before opening.

A Bigger Bang was the most succesful tour saleswise, with VL on a close second, no? First time I've heard SW being more succesful than VL. Where do you have that from, or are you speaking of Germany only?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 9, 2011 17:07

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home