Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have te Stones ever played a 3 hours gig?
Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:45

On Wednesday i was in a Bon Jovi Gig.

They played during 3 hours and i really enjoyed the show.

While i was going home, I was thinking that If the Stones would begin a new tour it would be great 3 hours gigs...! And the I wondered: have they ever played a 3 hours gig? Since Urban Jungle I have seen them in all tours and they never did it...

Do you know if they have done it before?

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Re: Have te Stones ever played a 3 hours gig?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:47

I'm sure they have played many marathon gigs, just never sold tickets for them.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:49

3 hours and they´re closing 70? forget it.They´ve done FEW long shows,like New York 27.6.1975

La 13.7.1975,all LA-75 shows were long
St.Louis 17.9.1989 was about 165minutes.

3 hours? thats not good rock n roll anymore,even when Led Zeppelin did long shows about 40minutes was waste of time,i really don´t se a point playing 3 hours.Its not on your skin anymore.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:51

I think the longest may have been Knebworth - certainly the most songs they ever played.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 30, 2011 13:20

During his heydays Bruce Springsteen could do even 4 hour gigs and on his last tour he was on stage usually about for 3 hours. As far as the Stones I think their longest gig was Knebworth which was over 2,5 hour but certainly less than 3 hours.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 30, 2011 13:30

Silver Dagger
I think the longest may have been Knebworth - certainly the most songs they ever played.

Only just: they played 28 songs there, & 27 songs in Miami in 1994.

As for show len gths now, Jerry Lee Lewis (aged 75) has been doing 40-45 minute shows for years now.

Personally I think around 60-75 minutes would be a good running time for a Rolling Stones show now, as long as the ticket prices aren't too high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 13:30 by Sleepy City.

Date: July 30, 2011 13:30

i saw dickey betts a few years ago in his mid 60's he played over 2 hours for that show

Date: July 30, 2011 13:37

Cliff Richard & The Shadows did energetic 2 & 1/2 hour shows with 41 complete songs(!) on their reunion tour in 2009 (see list below), & they were in their late 60s.

[hmv.com]

We Say Yeah
In The Country
Gee Whizz It’s You
A Voice In The Wilderness
Living Doll
Dancing Shoes
I’m The Lonely One
A Girl Like You
Do You Wanna Dance
Shadoogie
Dance On
Wonderful Land
The Savage
Sleepwalk
High Class Baby
I Could Easily Fall (In Love With You)
Willie And The Hand Jive
Sea Cruise
C’mon Everybody
Dynamite
Lucky Lips
Travellin’ Light
Time Drags By
All Shook Up
Please Don’t Tease
Apache
Foot-Tapper
Atlantis
Fbi
I Love You
The Next Time
Don’t Talk To Him
On The Beach
Summer Holiday
Bachelor Boy
Nine Times Out Of Ten
It’ll Be Me
Visions
Move It
Singing The Blues
The Young Ones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 13:42 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 30, 2011 15:06

McCartney, at 69, is out doing close to 3 hours.

Small number of shows, huge output of music.
I'm just saying...

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 30, 2011 15:11

3 hours Bon Jovi minus 40 minutes of clap your hands/ sing it together/all together now = 2 hours 20 minutes of real songs. Yes the Stones did a lot of that lenght.winking smiley

Date: July 30, 2011 16:28

Kurt
McCartney, at 69, is out doing close to 3 hours.

True, though his voice hasn't quite stood the test of time as well as Cliff's & Mick's have.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2011 16:29

Longest Stones shows were on the Steel Wheels US leg...especially at the start of the tour. Around 165 mins or so. Most of the shows on that tour were around the 145-150 minute mark though, but the Atlantic City PPV concert at the end of it clocked in at around 160 minutes.

I think Philadelphia 31.8.89 was their longest show ever (even discounting the 10 minute interruption when the power failed during 'Shattered'). The show with the most SONGS was Knebworth, although the gig itself lasted just under 150 minutes.

Date: July 30, 2011 16:32

Gazza
Longest Stones shows were on the Steel Wheels US leg...especially at the start of the tour. Around 165 mins or so. Most of the shows on that tour were around the 145-150 minute mark though, but the Atlantic City PPV concert at the end of it clocked in at around 160 minutes.

I think Philadelphia 31.8.89 was their longest show ever (even discounting the 10 minute interruption when the power failed during 'Shattered'). The show with the most SONGS was Knebworth, although the gig itself lasted just under 150 minutes.

How long was the Miami '94 pay-per-view with 27 songs?

Date: July 30, 2011 16:34

franzk
During his heydays Bruce Springsteen could do even 4 hour gigs and on his last tour he was on stage usually about for 3 hours. As far as the Stones I think their longest gig was Knebworth which was over 2,5 hour but certainly less than 3 hours.

Bruce's longest ever show was a couple of minutes short of 4 hours (Nassau Coliseum 31.12.80). Many of the late 1980 shows ran for around 210-220 minutes.

In recent years, the shows actually tend to get longer as the tour goes on. Some shows on the last couple of tours were running at well over 3 hours. Even more remarkably, up until 1993, he always had an intermission and the show would be divided into two sets. Any band shows since 1999 (the year he turned 50) have omitted the interval - its 3 hours or so without a break, which is some going for a performer who was 60 just before the end of his last tour and who puts in a pretty energetic show.

Date: July 30, 2011 16:35

thats around 145mins

Date: July 30, 2011 18:08

Sleepy City
Gazza

I seem to recall it being close to around 155. St Louis '97 was something similar too.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 30, 2011 18:59

Sleepy City
Gazza

Knebworth '76, Miami '94 and St. Louis '97 each fit on two CD-Rs. I'm not aware of a Stones show that requires 3 discs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 21:05 by ab.

Date: July 30, 2011 21:31

ab
Sleepy City
Gazza

Knebworth '76, Miami '94 and St. Louis '97 each fit on two CD-Rs. I'm not aware of a Stones show that requires 3 discs.

Two CD-Rs = 160 minutes of course. So Miami '94 & St. Louis '97 could be 155 minutes as Gazza stated.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:00

Sleepy City
Cliff Richard & The Shadows did energetic 2 & 1/2 hour shows with 41 complete songs(!) on their reunion tour in 2009 (see list below), & they were in their late 60s.

[hmv.com]

We Say Yeah
In The Country
Gee Whizz It’s You
Living Doll
Dancing Shoes
I’m The Lonely One
A Girl Like You
Do You Wanna Dance
Shadoogie
Dance On
Wonderful Land
The Savage
Sleepwalk
High Class Baby
Willie And The Hand Jive
Sea Cruise
C’mon Everybody
Dynamite
Lucky Lips
Travellin’ Light
Time Drags By
All Shook Up
Please Don’t Tease
Apache
Foot-Tapper
Atlantis
Fbi
I Love You
The Next Time
Don’t Talk To Him
On The Beach
Summer Holiday
Bachelor Boy
Nine Times Out Of Ten
It’ll Be Me
Visions
Move It
Singing The Blues
The Young Ones

Oh, no Congratulations...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:05

Who wants 3 hour shows?
I don´t.

Date: July 30, 2011 22:06

I don´t either.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:06

If one is to not count the brief improvisation of "Country Honk" as a complete, actual performance and count the "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud" medley as one song, then both Knebworth '76 and the first Philadelphia '89 show were the longest Stones concerts per songs--28 numbers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 22:07 by stevecardi.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:10

Bon Jovi played Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadion a week ago, and broke the local concert length record previously held by Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (at the same venue, two years ago) by 8 minutes. Bruce had played for 172 minutes, while Bon Jovi's show clocked in at exactly 3 hours.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:11

There is a good Keith quote on the topic of marathon shows, which slips my mind, but the gist was that its a bit self centered to play too long, better to step out rock out your songs with your highest energy level and leave. I suppose there is some magic ratio of performers energy to audience attention span out there somewhere.

Date: July 30, 2011 22:19

JJHMick
Sleepy City

[hmv.com]

We Say Yeah
In The Country
Gee Whizz It’s You
Living Doll
Dancing Shoes
I’m The Lonely One
A Girl Like You
Do You Wanna Dance
Shadoogie
Dance On
Wonderful Land
The Savage
Sleepwalk
High Class Baby
Willie And The Hand Jive
Sea Cruise
C’mon Everybody
Dynamite
Lucky Lips
Travellin’ Light
Time Drags By
All Shook Up
Please Don’t Tease
Apache
Foot-Tapper
Atlantis
Fbi
I Love You
The Next Time
Don’t Talk To Him
On The Beach
Summer Holiday
Bachelor Boy
Nine Times Out Of Ten
It’ll Be Me
Visions
Move It
Singing The Blues
The Young Ones

That 1968 hit was NOT a Cliff & The Shadows song (they more or less stopped recording together in '66, the cut-off point for songs selected for their tour). I was really hoping for 'Blue Turns To Grey' but unfortunately it wasn't included.

(at previous reunions in 1978, 1984 & 1990 they included later hits like Congratulations but not this time thankfully).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 22:25 by Sleepy City.

Date: July 30, 2011 22:20

marko
I don´t either.

How long do you want?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:28

Who TF needs a quality Stones show longer than 2 hours? If you're in that camp, you have never seen this band really get it on.

Date: July 30, 2011 22:31

Me,in the past 2h 15mins was perfect length for stones,sometimes 2h 25mins.
But now? maybe 1h 40mins is fine.70mins,too short because of their catalogue,which is HUGE.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:48

If they are ON, sure 2.0-2.5 hours is enough, perfect. Best Stones concerts flow and finish with a bang. They have always been good at pacing setlists, as well as creating solid track lists on albums, even though vinyl has long been a reduced medium. Flipping sides made tracklists very important. Not so much any more.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 30, 2011 22:49

Sleepy City
JJHMick
Sleepy City

[hmv.com]

We Say Yeah
In The Country
Gee Whizz It’s You
Living Doll
Dancing Shoes
I’m The Lonely One
A Girl Like You
Do You Wanna Dance
Shadoogie
Dance On
Wonderful Land
The Savage
Sleepwalk
High Class Baby
Willie And The Hand Jive
Sea Cruise
C’mon Everybody
Dynamite
Lucky Lips
Travellin’ Light
Time Drags By
All Shook Up
Please Don’t Tease
Apache
Foot-Tapper
Atlantis
Fbi
I Love You
The Next Time
Don’t Talk To Him
On The Beach
Summer Holiday
Bachelor Boy
Nine Times Out Of Ten
It’ll Be Me
Visions
Move It
Singing The Blues
The Young Ones

That 1968 hit was NOT a Cliff & The Shadows song (they more or less stopped recording together in '66, the cut-off point for songs selected for their tour). I was really hoping for 'Blue Turns To Grey' but unfortunately it wasn't included.

(at previous reunions in 1978, 1984 & 1990 they included later hits like Congratulations but not this time thankfully).

Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing about the Shadows, but did they cover the Stones song, "Blue Turns To Grey"? That's always been on my list of lost Stones-gems (as is most of the December's Children album)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 22:52 by stevecardi.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home