Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies & Gentlemen on BluRay
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 23, 2016 09:36

I saw L&GTRS at a Midnight Showing in a theater that was set up with proper speakers for it in 1976. It sounded great and was allegedly in quadrophonic. I so looked forward to getting the DVD just a few years back. I was stunned how poorly it sounded in 5.1 surround, like it was muffled. So recently I found L&GTRS for cheap on BluRay and bought it. Last night I wanted to see if I could hear the difference. I put on All Down the Line on BluRay and then straight DVD. The BluRay still doesn't have the presence I think it should, but it was miles ahead of the DVD version, which indeed had muffled vocals.

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen on BluRay
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 23, 2016 16:49

You're so right about the difference between dvd and blu ray.

I first thought that it was a lot of bull, but when I bought a blu ray player myself the difference between the dvd and blu ray versions was huge!

And it's not only for this L&G movie, but also with At the Max and LSTNT, which were on VHS and dvd a very dissapointing experience, but... on blu ray they look and sound exellent and so much better than the dvd versions.

Even if you don't like At the Max and LSTNT, try them on blu ray and you will be surprised in a good way.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 23, 2016 16:51

Its still a disappointment.
If only the camera work was first class...

Date: January 23, 2016 17:02

A disappointment both sound- and picture-wise. Mostly good performances, though.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 23, 2016 17:21

DandelionPowderman
A disappointment both sound- and picture-wise. Mostly good performances, though.

Of course!
But its still so disappointing to think how much better that tour was...so we are left with L&G

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 23, 2016 20:14

GJV

Even if you don't like At the Max and LSTNT, try them on blu ray and you will be surprised in a good way.
But we'd have to get them from Japan, ain't it?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 24, 2016 02:55

Only the LSTNT blu ray. Bought it from Amazon.co.jp

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 24, 2016 20:59

Interesting info, 24FPS. Now the question is, can we rip the audio from the bluray somehow and create a new stereo or 5.1 mix for dvd or computer viewing? I can mix music in stereo (never done surround), but don't know how to get it from the bluray recording.

Would love to have the original quad mix of L&G, but it doesn't seem to circulate at all. (The quad mix of Brussels is available as a boot, and is supposed to sound great, but I don't have a 5.1 system to hear it through.)

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 21:16

I watched it again today and I have to say, even the sound on bluray is a bit disappointing at first, but as soon as you get used to it you can really enjoy the film.

And after that you return to Brussels Affairs and then it sounds even more awesome than usually!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 24, 2016 21:23

I never said it sounded great on BluRay, because it still is lacking. You'd think they'd want to push the quad mix as a selling point. Like I said, maybe it doesn't exist.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2016 01:20

24FPS
I never said it sounded great on BluRay, because it still is lacking. You'd think they'd want to push the quad mix as a selling point. Like I said, maybe it doesn't exist.

what exactly is quadrophonic sound? is it like a poor man's version of 5.1?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 25, 2016 01:40

It's for people with four ears.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 25, 2016 01:45

Deltics

i don't want to think about someone with 5.1 ears would look like.

Date: January 25, 2016 02:57

treaclefingers
24FPS

It's a four channel sound mix as opposed to 5.1 which is a sound mix of five channels plus a low frequency (bass) channel.

Date: January 25, 2016 06:47

Winning Ugly VXII
treaclefingers
24FPS

It's a four channel sound mix as opposed to 5.1 which is a sound mix of five channels plus a low frequency (bass) channel.

so what i said, poor man's 5.1

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 25, 2016 06:50

treaclefingers
Deltics

i don't want to think about someone with 5.1 ears would look like.

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Date: January 25, 2016 07:22

treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII
treaclefingers
24FPS

Okay. But it sounded really cool on my Sansui Quad Amplifier in the mid-70s. I had four speakers so it had a really circular sound.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 25, 2016 09:17

Quad was a fun thing in the 70s. I remember being amazed by Dark Side Of The Moon in particular, the clocks going off was a highlight. Oh the good old days!

Date: January 25, 2016 19:49

24FPS
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII
treaclefingers
24FPS

Okay. But it sounded really cool on my Sansui Quad Amplifier in the mid-70s. I had four speakers so it had a really circular sound.

since when does 4 corners make a circle?! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Haecio ()
Date: January 25, 2016 23:53

Try Laserdisc. It seems to me, and I think it's a fact, that Laserdiscs have the best audio quality in optical media, at least with At The Max.

Date: January 26, 2016 00:22

Haecio
Try Laserdisc. It seems to me, and I think it's a fact, that Laserdiscs have the best audio quality in optical media, at least with At The Max.

I may have forgotten where i left my player. Oh, i remember, i put it in top of my size 28 waist acid washed jeans, in 1987.

Date: January 26, 2016 03:22

Haecio

* [www.avsforum.com] *

LaserDisc usually was better than DVD for sound quality because DVD's almost always have compressed sound .... especially surround sound.

Blu-ray discs,on the other hand,USUALLY have uncompressed sound available. Lossless DTSHD-MA or Dolby TrueHD for surround and / or uncompressed stereo.

Date: January 26, 2016 10:35

treaclefingers
24FPS
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly VXII
treaclefingers
24FPS

since when does 4 corners make a circle?! eye popping smiley

You put two speakers in the front and two in the rear. A live album sounds like your there, with the audience behind you and the music up front, and the music moves all around the speakers like a phaser. That's when. smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home