Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How do the supporting acts are chosen??
Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 01:23

At least in Argentina, there's a lot of dissapointment (anger, to be honest) between Argentinean fans about the warm-up bands (La Berisso and Las Pastillas del Abuelo).
How do this kind of band are chosen to play with the Stones?
Meredith Brooks has suffered an angry crowd in 1998. What will happen if the same (as people in facebook are saying it will be) happens to those bands?
I'm against violence of any kind, but we are a very special (passionate, and also irrationals) fans here, and whoever decides the bands, should know about it.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 01:41 by dandelion1967.

Re: How do the supporting acts are chosen??
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 22, 2016 02:48

sounds like a tough crowd. "I am against violence BUT . . . "

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 22, 2016 03:45

Okay, so people are passionate about the bands they like. I can understand that. Everyone's got their likes and desires. But an opening band? Sheeet. Maybe they need to realize that sometimes in life, one has to say, "I can't get no satisfaction" and live with it. If you go to a show to become violent over an opening band, stay the fluck home. Let those who came to hear hear the music enjoy themselves.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 22, 2016 04:56

Hey, when I saw the Stones in Seattle in 2005, Motley Crue opened, a band in which I was not the least bit interested. I didn't complain: I arrived during their set, walked around, had a drink, and found my seat between bands. I have never been concerned about who they choose. If I like them, great. If not, so what??
The best openers I've seen are Ike and Tina Turner Revue, BB King, and a few others I cannot remember!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 22, 2016 12:25

dmay
Okay, so people are passionate about the bands they like. I can understand that. Everyone's got their likes and desires. But an opening band? Sheeet. Maybe they need to realize that sometimes in life, one has to say, "I can't get no satisfaction" and live with it. If you go to a show to become violent over an opening band, stay the fluck home. Let those who came to hear hear the music enjoy themselves.

+1

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 22, 2016 12:35

The opening acts are not a major concern for North american audiences, since all concertgoers have a reserved seat.
I saw opening acts in almost empty stadiums because they perform at the time fans usually start packing in the remains of the tailgate parties in order to enter the venue at the end of the openning act.

In Europe and in all countries with general admission standing pitches, fans are getting early in the stadiums in order to be as close to the stage as possible. Bad opening acts can be painful in those situations.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 14:05

Doc
The opening acts are not a major concern for North American audiences, since all concertgoers have a reserved seat.
I saw opening acts in almost empty stadiums because they perform at the time fans usually start packing in the remains of the tailgate parties in order to enter the venue at the end of the opening act.

In Europe and in all countries with general admission standing pitches, fans are getting early in the stadiums in order to be as close to the stage as possible. Bad opening acts can be painful in those situations.

That is a really good point Doc, I never considered that aspect. It would suck to be stuck holding your spot on the pitch and be subjected to sounds that are really really bad (some of those sounds I do not consider actual music)

Seeing most of my shows in NA for the last 35 years I have just skipped the openers (or done my best to) and man, the Stones have had some awful openers... sometimes good/OK, but sometimes just awful.

The one time we saw them in Europe we lucked into some passes that put us in this 2000 people area which was walled off and in front of the 80,000 people behind. us. And even luckier we got to go to this little low low low level back stage area for nobodies, so could didn't have to stay out front and listen to the opener.... and they gave us free beer and had a kind of private porta bathroom which was not used very much. Looking back now... it was spectacular.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 14:12 by everwest1.

Date: January 22, 2016 14:32

Doc
The opening acts are not a major concern for North american audiences, since all concertgoers have a reserved seat.
I saw opening acts in almost empty stadiums because they perform at the time fans usually start packing in the remains of the tailgate parties in order to enter the venue at the end of the openning act.

Very true. I'll never forget Dan Reed Network in 1990 confused smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 22, 2016 14:35

Doc

thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 22, 2016 20:32

They ask there contacts to make a list of the best bands in the country they gonna play, skip the expensive one's (because of cost reduction) and there you go...........except for the US, then they take the best bands for better ticked sales

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 22, 2016 21:31

I would like to see some particular supporting acts, however they are chosen. Like Patti Smith or John Fogerty...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 13:01

It seems, lately at least, that one of the ways they choose is by determining which band has someone MIck would like to bring on stage for a duet during the main show.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 23, 2016 15:40

Even when I've camped out at the gates all day in ungodly weather in order to get a spot where I needed to be,
having to endure crap opening bands is not something I've ever dreamed of getting violent or even mean about.
I have earplugs and I know when to use them. Find your Buddhahood, people, and don't throw things at the stage.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 23, 2016 17:21

with sssoul
Even when I've camped out at the gates all day in ungodly weather in order to get a spot where I needed to be,
having to endure crap opening bands is not something I've ever dreamed of getting violent or even mean about.
I have earplugs and I know when to use them. Find your Buddhahood, people, and don't throw things at the stage.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 24, 2016 12:35

The first time I saw some of the bands I follow was when they opened for another band I had tickets for. Great way to learn about new music. Meet up for the opening bands and you might get a whole evening with good music.... smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home