Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: i want to buy a new record player and need some help
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 18:54

hello,

my old record player doesn't work anymore. i have ~100 LPs, but most of them are very old and not all of them are in good condition. I don't have any clue how much i should pay for a new player. does a bad LP destroy a good and new needle?

has anyone got a idea how this player is? [www.amazon.de] you can buy this for 100€ in a big store here.

thank you for your help

Re: OT: i want to buy a new record player and need some help
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 24, 2011 19:00

A fellow LP lover!!!

I believe 100 euros is a good price for a turntable and Dual is a decent brand. I don't know much about modern turntables, though. My turntable is a 1976 Technics model that was reconditioned.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 24, 2011 19:13

Dual is good. Mine is 30 years old and still working.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 24, 2011 19:14

misterfrias
A fellow LP lover!!!

I believe 100 euros is a good price for a turntable and Dual is a decent brand. I don't know much about modern turntables, though. My turntable is a 1976 Technics model that was reconditioned.
I've got alot of Technics gear im still using 100w Technics speakers I brought 25 years ago they're going as good as the day I brought them..they've made an excellent name for themselves over the years.I've also have a 25 year old Technics turntable never been used

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 20:09

I think "Thorens" is/was the "Mercedes" of turntables! My Thorens is 35 years old but still playing GREAT...

Have a look at the info ..

[www.thorens-info.de]

At ebay you have often the chance to get a high quality player for fair money...

Grüsse/regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-24 20:09 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 24, 2011 22:37

I had (still have) a Thorens TD 150 Mk.II Bought it new in the early seventies (73 I think) After serveral years with good Stones-music it started to go backwards! Had a Technics for some years after that, but the Thorens was so much better. About 3 year ago I was checking out to repair my Thorens/buy a new Thorens and checking out the market for other record players. It was expensive to repair (have another one for parts now) and a new good Thorens player also was a bit expensive and most value for the money was a recordplayer called Pro-Ject. I have the model called Debut III - Esprit.(I was the first customer to buy the Esprit model in Norway!) It's delivered with a Ortofon MM-element and I'm very satisfied with it - and so is my Stones- records as well!! Don't know the price other places, but here it was about € 65 cheaper than a good Thorens.

Per-Arne

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 25, 2011 00:05

My son recently discovered how good my old records sound.

For only around $75 we got him a cool turntable with USB output and easy software that brings the music right into iTunes on his computer and his iPod.

It's made by ION.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 25, 2011 00:43

If you can afford it:

The Linn Majik LP12 turntable, upgraded with an Akito tonearm beats every cd-player.

Make sure your Amp and speakers can compete.

Other sign of the coin: it doesn't work for digitally recorded / remasterd music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 01:00 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 08:18

Basic Rega 1 Turntable...Massive bangs for yer buck, easy to set up, and performs brilliantly..

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:57

I own a Rega Planar 2.

REGA is perhaps the best value for money in the business of record players.

English know how: great sound!!

check this brand!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 25, 2011 12:22

Same question here...
What do I buy.
What is a good site to read about this?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 25, 2011 13:10

I have a Thorens phonograph from 1939! Still running...when wound up.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2011 13:38

TooTough
I have a Thorens phonograph from 1939! Still running...when wound up.

Wouldn't recomend one quite that old ;^)...but if you come accross a second hand TD150 or TD160...they're still very serviceable.

[An old TD150 with a Rega arm and felt mat is very nice !]

Otherwise, for sensible money I'd echo folks recommedations for a Rega, new or second hand they're fuss free, bomb proof and sound great.

[A second hand Linn LP12 can be a fantastic buy...but only if set up by somebody who know what they're doing ! ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 13:39 by Spud.

Posted by: jack73 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 14:24

Hi,
I have project debut III and it's great.

[www.project-audio.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2011 14:39

.....been runnin' a Sota Saffhire for years ....

Built like a Sherman Tank.... Full of lead pellets
Ya could j...j.j.jack h..h..hammer beside it and it wouldn't jump .....

[www.sotaturntables.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 14:45

I have a Technics turntable , Realstic cassette deck , Kenwood receiver and Ohm speakers . I bought the entire system in the late '70.s and has served me well over the years .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 25, 2011 15:32

Of the ones suggested above I've tried the rega and the linn, and both are great.

Very good "entry levels" in hi end music systems.

But the most valuable suggestion in these things is the one that Amsterdamned gave you: be sure the rest of the system competes! No need to put the engine of a Ferrari in an old family car ...

As for old/used turn tables consider that these machines have consumable parts (needles above all). Be sure the replacements are still available before buying anything.

C

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:51

Hockenheim95, That Dual turntable that you showed on amazon is exactly the same as my Sherwood and I doubt if the guts was any diferent. However, I run mine through a Kenwood amp I bought from a pawn shop and I have no complaints. I also use an economical elliptical diamond stylus and I get a great sound. Of course its not going to compete with the big boys of audio, but for the average joe its more than adequate. It delivers for me and I play my vinyl every day. Good luck.

Date: July 25, 2011 18:12

misterfrias
A fellow LP lover!!!

Dual's turntable line was bought-out in 1993. They are now made by Fehrenbacher under the Dual brand. [en.wikipedia.org]) '

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-26 06:24 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: July 25, 2011 18:20

satisfaction2
I think "Thorens" is/was the "Mercedes" of turntables! My Thorens is 35 years old but still playing GREAT...

Have a look at the info ..

[www.thorens-info.de]

At ebay you have often the chance to get a high quality player for fair money...

Grüsse/regards

The Mercedes of turntables ?? Is that a good thing ?? Check out "Consumer Reports" or something similar. Mercedes is one of the least reliable luxury cars or cars period.

As for Thorens,you're right that they were great but,the NEW models have supposedly fallen off in quality.

Date: July 25, 2011 18:43

To answer the original question of the thread,I would recommend Rega first [www.rega.co.uk] and then Music Hall [www.musichallaudio.com] second.

Their entry level model turntables can be had for under $ 500 and still offer great quality. They both have great sound quality - slightly different from each other - which sound you prefer will depend on your equipment and of course your personal taste. The Rega turntables should be a little more reliable based on the internet research that I've done.

If you need to or want to stay under $ 250 ,and still want a brand new unit,then the
Audio Technica AT-PL120 is probably the best option [www.buy.com] although a step below the Music Hall units and the Rega units.

If you have a large amount to spend,perhaps consider VPI or Avid : [www.musicdirect.com]

^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 20:25 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 26, 2011 00:49

I would go s/hand on your budget.

Rega or Project or possibly Linn if you budget will stretch.

I run a Linn Axis with Akito arm and Goldring cartridge. I found it to be a major upgrade on my Dual .

sc uk

Date: July 26, 2011 13:26

From currently available new product, A Rega is probably the base level if you're serious about vinyl.

Playing a record is a mechanical engineering problem.
Differing makers have different design theories... but basic mechanical integrity is a must, regardless of the design.

Wobbly bearings and flimsy bits of plastic have no place on a record deck.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 26, 2011 13:33

If you are buying new then the Pro-Ject series of turntables are excellent value. I have a Pro-Ject Genie III and am very happy with it. Innovative design as well.

One option you could try if you work in an orgaisation such as a University or large company is to send out an all staff email asking if anyone has a quality turntable for sale. You will be suprised how many people have these things packed away in an attic or basement. I did this last year and got an immaculate Rega Planar 3 for just £25 (I offered more but the seller just wanted rid of it).

Also make sure your amp has a phono stage. An obvious point but quite a lot of new ones don't.

Andy

Date: July 26, 2011 14:35

Pro-Ject do a cracking little phono stage for amps without this facility.

[... much better sounding than most of the "token" phono stages on budget amps...and therefore worth investigating for some folks who think they already have a phono input ! ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-26 16:42 by Spud.

Date: July 27, 2011 07:29

There's another great phono ( input ) stage made by Bryston : [www.bryston.com] .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home