Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Allman Brothers Band . . .
Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: July 22, 2011 14:05

Take a look at the video at the top of the page and tell this isn't f*cking awesome:

[thebutchtrucks.blogspot.com]

Stones content: The ABB recorded a kick-ass version of "Heart of Stone" for the last studio release, Hittin' the Note.

Best Regards,

E-Duane

Re: OT: Allman Brothers Band . . .
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 22, 2011 15:46

wow, Butch Trucks blog! thanks for the link. x)
I don't like that "Heart Of Stone" to be honest,
1969-1972 is everything I need from ABB.
"Eat A Peach" rules and be sure to get released a couple years ago
deluxe version with a bonus live disc!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2011 19:55

What is needed is to compile all known videos of Duane Allman and get them on a proper DVD. This legend is practically forgotten, and it was only 40 years ago. Most of ABB at the Fillmore East was videotaped. There were various festivals, yet we can't commercially buy a DVD of perhaps the greatest slide guitarist of all time. Pity.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 22, 2011 20:08

Hasn´t Chuck Leavell played with The Allman Brothers as well?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 22, 2011 20:24

marquess
Think he did, but that's happened only later on. After the episode with the Fillmore East disc.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 22, 2011 20:39

Whale
marquess
Think he did, but that's happened only later on. After the episode with the Fillmore East disc.

He essentially replaced Duane as they couldn't fathom adding a new guitarist in his stead. Chuck's pretty clean-cut, as we know, and the ABB was a drug-addled, dysfunctional mess by the mid-seventies. Their last great album, "Brothers & Sisters," was cobbled together by producer Johnny Sandlin and whomever showed up from day-to-day.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 22, 2011 21:57

Sure the Duane years were peak, but don't dismiss the current version of the band. Still out there blazin' it! I would say that their Beacon shows in recent years (available from their website or bit torrent if you look around!) are about as good as live music gets these days. And never the same setlist twice! Warren and Derek are carrying the torch quite nicely.

Ross

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2011 00:00

Ross
Sure the Duane years were peak, but don't dismiss the current version of the band. Still out there blazin' it! I would say that their Beacon shows in recent years (available from their website or bit torrent if you look around!) are about as good as live music gets these days. And never the same setlist twice! Warren and Derek are carrying the torch quite nicely.

Ross

Well said, Ross.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 23, 2011 03:18

They're still good, but after Duane died and then Berry it's hit-and-miss.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 23, 2011 04:16

Elmo Lewis
Ross

Ross

Well said, Ross.

Agree.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 23, 2011 04:20

There have been many peaks. The mid 90's Haynes - Betts linup was like a killing machine. Awsome live.

Date: July 23, 2011 05:17

Now I know how those people who prefer Brian/Mick T/Ron. For me the band was deeply wounded when Duane died, and then mortally wounded with Berry's death. The last album I listened to was 'Win, Lose, or Draw'. I know it's not their fault, but it's not the ABB without Duane and Berry.

Date: July 23, 2011 05:23

Saw Dickey Betts in a Sarasota Florida bar last month and man can he play that guitar. One of the greatest guitarist ever. True American outlaw!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 23, 2011 05:28

Whale
marquess

Leavell was an Allman Brother proper -- that's him on the oft-heard "Jessica" as well as "Ramblin' Man" from "Brothers and Sisters." Probably their commercial peak. Guess he's on "Win Lose or Draw" as well and a live LP or two.

The Allmans were huge where I'm from (South Fla) and I saw them after Duane died but still with Berry. Absolutely transcendent show in spite of being a one guitar version of the band.

Date: July 23, 2011 06:22

i've seen betts 2 times over the last decade but i've never seen the ABB. dickey and duane were the reason i liked the band and without either of them their no reason to see them anymore. i thought everything the ABB did was great but not the 2 early 80's albums. other than that their catalog is pretty solid.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 23, 2011 16:37

24FPS
Now I know how those people who prefer Brian/Mick T/Ron. For me the band was deeply wounded when Duane died, and then mortally wounded with Berry's death. The last album I listened to was 'Win, Lose, or Draw'. I know it's not their fault, but it's not the ABB without Duane and Berry.

Uh, Win Lose or Draw was released 36 years ago. So you're really not in a position to speak knowledgeably about the current lineup. To write off their output since they reunited in 1989 is your loss.

Check out One Way Out Live at the Beacon from the 2003 shows. Warren, Derek and Otiel carry the torch for Duane and Berry quite well. The current lineup is the best ABB lineup since the original ABB.

Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: July 23, 2011 17:28

Simply put, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are two of the best guitarists around these days.

Date: July 23, 2011 19:52

ab
24FPS
Now I know how those people who prefer Brian/Mick T/Ron feel. For me the band was deeply wounded when Duane died, and then mortally wounded with Berry's death. The last album I listened to was 'Win, Lose, or Draw'. I know it's not their fault, but it's not the ABB without Duane and Berry.

Uh, Win Lose or Draw was released 36 years ago. So you're really not in a position to speak knowledgeably about the current lineup. To write off their output since they reunited in 1989 is your loss.

Check out One Way Out Live at the Beacon from the 2003 shows. Warren, Derek and Otiel carry the torch for Duane and Berry quite well. The current lineup is the best ABB lineup since the original ABB.

I said I know it's not their fault. The band meant a lot to me. I lived in Atlanta in the early 70s. I saw Duane walking around Piedmont Park. I saw them in 'Hotlanta with Duane, and I saw them at their first concert in Atlanta after he died. It was a great, emotional concert and they encored forever. Then Berry died, in almost the same spot, at almost a year later, and it all seemed cursed. I mean how much was the band supposed to overcome? It's my mental barrier that I can't get into the band after Duane. Hell, I got a friend who can't listen to anything the Stones made after Brian died.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 23, 2011 20:30

rubyeveryday
Simply put, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are two of the best guitarists around these days.
thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home