Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
If they toured with just new material
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 21, 2011 09:37

Not sure if I'd like it really, I still want to hear all my favorites

Re: If they toured with just new material
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 21, 2011 09:41

...they surely could not play stadiums and make BIG money. It would be a one-off gig, like the one in London where Mick & Keith did not show up. (An appropriate Stones tune for the others to play would have been: I am waiting.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:51

well they´ve sone that almost 1978 and 1981-1982

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 21, 2011 13:06

People would moan about it.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:10

marko

No, they didn't. They played most songs from the touring album, but more than half the set was warhorses and oldies:

Average 1978 List:
1."Let It Rock"
2."All Down the Line"
3."Honky Tonk Women"
4."Star Star"
5."When the Whip Comes Down"
6."Beast of Burden"
7."Lies"
8."Miss You"
9."Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"
10."Shattered"
11."Respectable"
12."Far Away Eyes"

13."Love in Vain"
14."Tumbling Dice"
15."Happy"
16."Sweet Little Sixteen"
17."Brown Sugar"
18."Jumpin' Jack Flash"
19.Encore: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Street Fighting Man" (most shows had no encore).

Average 1982 list:
1."Under My Thumb"
2."When the Whip Comes Down"
3."Let's Spend the Night Together"
4."Shattered"
5."Neighbours"
6."Black Limousine"

7."Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"
8."Twenty Flight Rock"
9."Going to a Go-Go"
10."Chantilly Lace"
11."Let Me Go"
12."Time Is on My Side"
13."Beast of Burden"
14."Let It Bleed"
15."You Can't Always Get What You Want"
16."Little T&A"
17."Tumbling Dice"
18."She's So Cold"
19."Hang Fire"
20."Miss You"
21."Honky Tonk Women"
22."Brown Sugar"
23."Start Me Up"
24."Jumpin' Jack Flash"
25."(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:14

I would appreciate it ...

Date: July 21, 2011 14:15

I would have loved it, but let's say 8 or 10 new songs, and then some other stuff, both warhorses and obscure stuff.

Would not like to miss Dice or Start me up....

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:22

Something like 1978 (50% new album) would suit me fine, as would a similar length show.

Posted by: zeus ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:26

They always throw new songs in the mix, my favorite Bridges to Babylon, excellent, excellent record, great live songs, the best modern Stones tour in my opinion. Let's see if they tour again or fade away through time...we can only hope folks.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:37

I'd go.I would have really liked a scaled down ABBtour set that was 50% ABB,simalar to 78...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 21, 2011 14:44

NedKelly
marko

No, they didn't. They played most songs from the touring album, but more than half the set was warhorses and oldies:

Average 1978 List:
1."Let It Rock"
2."All Down the Line"
3."Honky Tonk Women"
4."Star Star"
5."When the Whip Comes Down"
6."Beast of Burden"
7."Lies"
8."Miss You"
9."Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"
10."Shattered"
11."Respectable"
12."Far Away Eyes"

13."Love in Vain"
14."Tumbling Dice"
15."Happy"
16."Sweet Little Sixteen"
17."Brown Sugar"
18."Jumpin' Jack Flash"
19.Encore: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Street Fighting Man" (most shows had no encore).

Average 1982 list:
1."Under My Thumb"
4."Shattered"
5."Neighbours"
6."Black Limousine"

8."Twenty Flight Rock"
9."Going to a Go-Go"
10."Chantilly Lace"
11."Let Me Go"
12."Time Is on My Side"
13."Beast of Burden"
14."Let It Bleed"
16."Little T&A"
17."Tumbling Dice"
18."She's So Cold"
19."Hang Fire"
20."Miss You"
21."Honky Tonk Women"
22."Brown Sugar"
23."Start Me Up"
24."Jumpin' Jack Flash"

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:05

That idea I like. They could play at smaller places and only with material from Robert Johnson's repertoire ...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 21, 2011 15:45

90% of the audience would take an extended pee break.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:49

Come On
That idea I like. They could play at smaller places and only with material from Robert Johnson's repertoire ...
or play all Abba songs... or rotate night to night... one night play Sonny and Cher Songs the next night play Kiss songs, the next night they could...

Date: July 21, 2011 15:50

How do you insert pictures in a post?

Date: July 21, 2011 15:52

NedKelly
How do you insert pictures in a post?

you have to have a picture... if it is from a web page, right click it and copy the description ....it shopuld end in .jpg or .png or .bmp..... e.g .blahblah.jpg, then paste it between [ img ] [ /img ]... but have no space between [img

OR as bv said it on the HELP PAGES (LINK AT TOP OF THIS PAGE ) [www.iorr.org]

How to publish a picture on the IORR forum pages
Right-click on the photo on a website.
Choose "copy image location" (netscape).
Or "Properties (Explorer) and copy the picture address.
Typically picture address:
[iorr.org]
Then use the following codes to tell it's a picture:

Example:

Remember no spaces (no blanks) between the markers, just the picture address. The picture need to be placed on internet, i.e. you should store your picture somewhere. IORR does not offer storage of picture, but you may link the pictures into your posts as shown here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 15:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:57

A little late in the game for just playing new material. It also seems the people calling for more new material at concerts slag off the recent albums. You can't have it both ways.

Date: July 21, 2011 15:59

Shawn20
A little late in the game for just playing new material. It also seems the people calling for more new material at concerts slag off the recent albums. You can't have it both ways.

Words of wisdom from that man. Everybody complains about warhorse heavy sets but slags off A Bigger Bang (or indeed anything post 1981).

Date: July 21, 2011 16:00

Regarding posting pictures...

Go to the HELP link [www.iorr.org] and read bv's words... because of web page formatting rules it is showing up misformated e.g. the blank boxes,eroors etc.. on the thread.

PS
Hubba Hubba, nice sample picture bv smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 16:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 21, 2011 16:06

Baxter Thwaites
Shawn20

Words of wisdom from that man. Everybody complains about warhorse heavy sets but slags off A Bigger Bang (or indeed anything post 1981).

NOT everybody, I never have. Every show I have ever seen (although only 30 so far) is fine, but I will add if I never hear "Miss you" or "Tumblin dice" again, I will be ok with that..... but if I do.. that is fine too.

I LOVE JUMPIN JACK FLASH LIVE!!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:15

Baxter Thwaites
90% of the audience would take an extended pee break.

how about 99%?

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:16

For my money, one of the most inspiring bands of recent years in relation to live material is Iron Maiden. they have really shown how to place the music as the mainfocus and priority on each tour.

since the reformation with Bruce Dickinson, they have always played a large nmber of tracks from their latest release, mixed with their back catalogue, then when they released the album 'A Matter of Life and Death' they played the album in it's entirity on the tour, with a few of their classics at the end. some people moaned, but the fans were happy.

This was followed by the Somewhere back in time tour, which only played the best known songs up to the end of the 80's, anyone who just wanted to hear the hits and could go to that.

Their current tour 'The Final Frontier' is currently featuring only tracks recorded since the reformation with Bruce, vasically tracks off the last four Studio albums.

This is a band thathave faith in their music, and faith in the fans. They are now bigger than at any other pint in their career, and have achieved this through belief in themselves.

Too late for the Stones to take a leaf, but it's and excellent example of how a band can stick around for a long time, but still remain vital in the live arena.

Youmight not like the music they make, but I'd find it hard to believe anyone who had an issue with their approach to their music and the model they have adopted to present it.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: July 21, 2011 17:56

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 21, 2011 18:05

NedKelly
Average 1982 list:
1."Under My Thumb"
4."Shattered"
5."Neighbours"
6."Black Limousine"

8."Twenty Flight Rock"
9."Going to a Go-Go"
10."Chantilly Lace"
11."Let Me Go"
12."Time Is on My Side"
13."Beast of Burden"
14."Let It Bleed"
16."Little T&A"
17."Tumbling Dice"
18."She's So Cold"
19."Hang Fire"
20."Miss You"
21."Honky Tonk Women"
22."Brown Sugar"
23."Start Me Up"
24."Jumpin' Jack Flash"

Add in two songs from 'Emotional Rescue' (an album they didnt tour behind) and the five from 'Some Girls' (an album they didnt tour behind anywhere but around 25 gigs in the US) and half the show consisted of songs that were a) less than four years old and b) which had never been played in Europe before.

Additionally, three cover versions theyd not previously recorded, an opener which hadnt been performed live since 1966, LSTNT which had been played only a couple of times since 1967, 'Let It Bleed' (never played live until 1981), 'Time is on my side' (not played prior to this tour since about 1965-66) and thats a long way from a show that was mostly 'warhorses and oldies'.

In 1978, almost half the show consisted of songs off an album released that same month (8 songs), two Chuck Berry covers (one a UK-only b side and the other being one theyd never recorded), a Robert Johnson song off Let It Bleed which they hadnt played in six years and 'Satisfaction' (only played about 4 times and largely ignored throughout the 70s).

Not too many warhorses there either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 18:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 21, 2011 18:06

Shawn20

How do you know its the same people?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 21, 2011 18:57

Gazza
NedKelly
Average 1982 list:
1."Under My Thumb"
4."Shattered"
5."Neighbours"
6."Black Limousine"

8."Twenty Flight Rock"
9."Going to a Go-Go"
10."Chantilly Lace"
11."Let Me Go"
12."Time Is on My Side"
13."Beast of Burden"
14."Let It Bleed"
16."Little T&A"
17."Tumbling Dice"
18."She's So Cold"
19."Hang Fire"
20."Miss You"
21."Honky Tonk Women"
22."Brown Sugar"
23."Start Me Up"
24."Jumpin' Jack Flash"

Add in two songs from 'Emotional Rescue' (an album they didnt tour behind) and the five from 'Some Girls' (an album they didnt tour behind anywhere but around 25 gigs in the US) and half the show consisted of songs that were a) less than four years old and b) which had never been played in Europe before.

Additionally, three cover versions theyd not previously recorded, an opener which hadnt been performed live since 1966, LSTNT which had been played only a couple of times since 1967, 'Let It Bleed' (never played live until 1981), 'Time is on my side' (not played prior to this tour since about 1965-66) and thats a long way from a show that was mostly 'warhorses and oldies'.

In 1978, almost half the show consisted of songs off an album released that same month (8 songs), two Chuck Berry covers (one a UK-only b side and the other being one theyd never recorded), a Robert Johnson song off Let It Bleed which they hadnt played in six years and 'Satisfaction' (only played about 4 times and largely ignored throughout the 70s).

This is true, but perhaps my biggest criticism of the 1978-1982 tours is that they didn't play Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, etc.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 19:16

Gazza
Shawn20

How do you know its the same people?

Gazza, I realize you enjoyed the A Bigger Bang album, and believed the Stones gave up it on way too early in the tour. I made an observation about the irony of the general complaints of - too many war-horses, we need new material, we hate ABB. It is difficult for the Stones to exclude some of the most famous songs in the history of rock 'n' roll, in favor of under appreciated "new" music.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 21, 2011 19:42

If they did it would be bold and beautiful and I would love them to do it! In fact, I am going to dare them to do it! I dare you Stones to be the real Pirates you were meant to be! Play all new material, believe in it, and we will too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 20:04 by stonescrow.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 21, 2011 19:45

Sleepy City
Gazza
NedKelly
Average 1982 list:
1."Under My Thumb"
4."Shattered"
5."Neighbours"
6."Black Limousine"

8."Twenty Flight Rock"
9."Going to a Go-Go"
10."Chantilly Lace"
11."Let Me Go"
12."Time Is on My Side"
13."Beast of Burden"
14."Let It Bleed"
16."Little T&A"
17."Tumbling Dice"
18."She's So Cold"
19."Hang Fire"
20."Miss You"
21."Honky Tonk Women"
22."Brown Sugar"
23."Start Me Up"
24."Jumpin' Jack Flash"

This is true, but perhaps my biggest criticism of the 1978-1982 tours is that they didn't play Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, etc.

But that was the whole point of both 78 and 81/82. Those longer, drawn-out "dramatic" tunes didn't fit with the vibe of those tours. Only Imagination and YCAGWYW approached anything like epic length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 19:47 by TeaAtThree.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 21, 2011 20:12

Baxter Thwaites
People would moan about it.

I say let um moan!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home