Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

flashpoint 2009 remaster
Posted by: freddyscholtz ()
Date: July 18, 2011 23:35

Can anyone tell me if there are big differences in the sound of this one comparede with the Virgin one? do you find it better? i have the chance to buy either of them...thank you!!

Re: flashpoint 2009 remaster
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 18, 2011 23:59

I think it's better to get the original CD from 1991. But the Virgin one remains better than the 2009 remaster unless you like loud and brickwalled sound.

Date: July 19, 2011 16:21

do the other live albums have the same brickwall sound?

Date: July 19, 2011 17:45

All the 2009 remasters have the brickwalled sound. They have a clear and crisp sound but very loud and with no dynamics.

Date: July 20, 2011 04:41

well i got impatient and bought the 2009 one, and your right, its sound powerful but a little violent to my old ears. im 32 yars old. But i loved the pictures, never seen them before...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:49

kowalski
All the 2009 remasters have the brickwalled sound. They have a clear and crisp sound but very loud and with no dynamics.

Kowalski....what do you mean by "no dynamics" ?............

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 20, 2011 13:31

All or nothing.

Date: July 20, 2011 16:46

EddieByword

I mean this for example :

All the Stones 2009 remasters have the sound squashed to death. If you listen carefully to Charlie's drums sound on any of those remastered albums you will find out it has lost all its punch...

Date: July 20, 2011 18:30

kowalski
EddieByword

All the Stones 2009 remasters have the sound squashed to death. If you listen carefully to Charlie's drums sound on any of those remastered albums you will find out it has lost all its punch...

Than you for sharing this link. This particularly affects A Bigger Bang. Even the better tracks simply dont come alive

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 20, 2011 18:43

I have the Virgin remasters set from 1994,i think they sound great,almost like vinyl.

Flashpoint i have vinyl,1cd and the 2cd version with b-sides.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:31

kowalski
I think it's better to get the original CD from 1991. But the Virgin one remains better than the 2009 remaster unless you like loud and brickwalled sound.

Indeed but the synth horns on Bitch and and synth harp on Miss You still shine through, loud and clear.

Date: July 20, 2011 21:11

R
kowalski

Indeed but the synth horns on Bitch and and synth harp on Miss You still shine through, loud and clear.

2009 remasters bring everything up to the front. Everything is at the same sound level. Maybe there are other ways to make this music shine.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:20

kowalski
EddieByword

O.K., nice clear explanation.......thanks a lot..............

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 20, 2011 22:10

A Bigger Bang was absolutely ruined by this "loudness" fad (I hope it's a fad). I can't believe they went with that production style. It will sound as dated as some of their '80s stuff in the future. It was such a letdown when I bought the ABB LP recently, irrationally hoping that I would hear some improvement over the CD release.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-20 22:14 by Sipuncula.

Date: July 21, 2011 17:25

yes, the worst imo on abb are the guitars ... they sound as if they were recorded with the smallest amp they could find.. no power in them.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 25, 2011 06:51

The later versions of FLASHPOINT have the "Dirty Hands" remix of "Sex Drive" rather than the original album version -- not sure which reissue instigated that change though, as I still only own the original release.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 25, 2011 08:11

I found that very strange that the Virgin reissue has one of the remixes on the album instead of the LP version. Makes no sense. And in between two (I forget which) songs Mick says something that was edited short on the CBS issue.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 25, 2011 10:47

In a couple of years time we'll probably get a new batch of 'de-brickwalled' remasters. What a great way to keep recycling old product.

But seriously; Todays trend of brickwalled mastering is spoiling many a good record.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:07

I just bought the remastered set of the studio albums,not had a chance to really listen yet,I got it for a fair price and because some of my CDs I have had for 20 odd years.
I had bought SF and Exile and I got a Virgin Goats Head last year,but the rest were pretty much the original issues on whatever lable they were on at time of release,same with the live stuff.
Have got some Japanese issues as well,and I did eventually get hold of the Flashpoint with the collectables.
Are these sao called brickwalled remastered aimed at the ipod market,as in standardising the volume on such machines.
I was using a Zen mp3 player at work the other day and had the volume resonabnle so I could hear people if they wanted to ask me any questions,and most stuff was ok but every now and then an older cd would pop up and you could hardly hear it,obviously if you are listening to a cd you would just turn up the volume but on these things,when a newer track comes along you would have to turn it down again.
just a thought.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:11

adotulipson
I was using a Zen mp3 player at work the other day and had the volume resonabnle so I could hear people if they wanted to ask me any questions,and most stuff was ok but every now and then an older cd would pop up and you could hardly hear it,obviously if you are listening to a cd you would just turn up the volume but on these things,when a newer track comes along you would have to turn it down again.
just a thought.

I have an Ipod and probably do most of my listening on it. If I put together a playlist with a mixture of new and old CDs the sound levels are quite variable and I found that I prefer the sound of the newer ones. Sacrilege!

I suspect if I did all my listening on a quality hifi I'd have a different view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home