Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick's autobiography attempt
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 23:05

As everyone knows, in 1982, Mick signed a deal for his autobiography. Instead of getting a solid, well-known and reliable ghostwriter such as David Ritz, he opted for a "literary superstar" like John Ryle, who agreed. Mick was found to be continually evasive, referring to Marianne Faithfull as "a girl I used to know" or something to that effect. He also had a string of memory lapses that made it clear this was a problem, as well as not taking things all that seriously. Mick told family and friends to be helpful and give interviews. He also asked Bill for his diary to fill in the blanks, but Bill adamantly refused, holding onto it for Stone Alone.

A manuscript was made, but it was half the size the publisher wanted. A second attempt was tried with Rolling Stone critic Bob Palmer, but Mick wouldn't even meet with him. The project was thus shelved, and Prince Rupert eventually had to return the sizable advance. Apparently, the manuscript sits in a bank vault in New York. Mick can publish it if he wants, but clearly will not.

Mick was asked after Keith's book came out if he'd try again. He of course refused, saying that money would be the only reason to do so.

Re: Mick's autobiography attempt
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 21, 2015 23:12

So...
Is there a point to be made here?
confused smiley

Why write an autobiography when your story isn't done yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 23:12 by Kurt.

Date: October 21, 2015 23:16

Kurt
So...
confused smiley

I'm just saying it's very curious. Since Mick didn't take working on the book all that seriously, then it's clear he never wanted to do it. But then why did he agree to the deal?

Date: October 21, 2015 23:18

It was 1982!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:05

It's pretty obvious some of the reasons Mick may not want to produce an honest detailed autobiography. It would of course be great to get his perspective on the music, it's creation and the business in general but...

-He tends to keep the business stuff pretty private, might even be criticized for such things as playing two ends against the middle and and other business tricks which might take away from his artist/rockstar persona and possibly anger some of the players.

-He certainly doesn't need the money and I'm not sure he could improve the legacy with facts that may be contrary to the myths and legend.

-His drug use and partying ways have also been kept fairly private by him. He has spoken about them in very general terms but seems to keep much of the details to himself. He always seemed like the type who probably always had a good stash but even kept it from his friends and bandmates. Unlike Keith it seems unlikely we will ever hear Mick talk about his cocaine (and heroin) use although we all know they were prevalent in his life at one time.

and probably the biggest reason:

-His philandering ways. Unlike Keith, who was pretty faithful, Mick has arguably been chasing the fairer sex all his life and by all accounts continues to do so. Faithful probably isn't a word in his vocabulary and I would imagine any honest talk about what filled up his days and nights would be hurtful to some and likely paint him in a box and actually be pretty boring for most of us. No, Mick isn't the kiss ad tell type, to his credit.

Of course a great ghost writer, like Keith had, could probably package his story with enough balance, ommission and unique content that it would surely be a best seller but I doubt we'll ever get such a tome from Jagger.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:08

He instead made a very insightful and revealing movie, called "Being Mick".

(BTW for those interested, I am working with some filmmakers on "Being Turner68")

Date: October 22, 2015 00:15

Turner68

(BTW for those interested, I am working with some filmmakers on "Being Turner68")

I really dug that documentary actually! I'm not sure how "revealing" it was, you got a pretty good sense what Mick did to fill up his days not many thoughts opinions and deeper content. And unlike an autobiography it only captured a brief moment in his life and as interesting as it was, there are many other eras, stories and history which would be pretty compelling to learn more about from his perspective.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: October 22, 2015 02:52

He's a great songwriter but Keith's the better story teller.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 22, 2015 03:32

Away from the footlights he's really Bob Dylan's alter ego. Keep in mind Marianne Faithfull's comment in an interview that the Mick Jagger on stage and in public is not the real Mick Jagger. Like Dylan, I would say it's all persona and masks regarding what we know and see of Mister Jagger.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 03:58

One year of Mick's life is like 10 years of our lives. He's always on the move. He lives on a plane.

Mick is hyper and Keith is laid back--and Keith's book was gigantic. It would take volumes to get Mick's whole story down. He's got so many things going at once.

Scrap the idea of an autobiography. I'd like to read a book of Mick's poetry (not song lyrics) and pictures from his travels. He's super intelligent and talented. These would be concise, yet speak volumes.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 22, 2015 04:56

I would love to read Mick's version of his own "Life": the band, the relationships, the music.

What he wouldn't want to write about would likely be what some of us would find quite interesting, such as comparing the main women in his life, such as what most attracted him and kept him with each. He could skip over most of the minor ones except those he wished had become major. He has already been honest in the press about his proclivity towards non-monogamy and how marriage does not suit him Writing about the details of his paramours doesn't fit seem to fit his personality though, as you said, Naturalust.

He has many times stated how he wants to live in the present, not the past, while doing a memoir or autobiography almost forces the writer to re-live the past while working on it. Keith has noted how unpleasant that can be at times.

What has come directly from Mick too is he's recently said how "hard" it is to write a book. (I agree, having done it a couple of times.) Outside of the problem of not wanting to reveal much about his experiences with drugs and women, Mick is a perfectionist, and would have to be satisfied with less than perfection in the finished work. I'm not sure if he could do it or would want to do it by himself at this point, if he couldn't find the right collaborator. It's not his own area of expertise, which didn't prove an issue for Keith, but is more of one for Mick, I'm thinking.

NL, what did you mean about him playing both ends against the middle in his buisiness practices? Making as much profit as possible, no matter what?...

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 22, 2015 06:23

angee
NL, what did you mean about him playing both ends against the middle in his buisiness practices? Making as much profit as possible, no matter what?...

Hey angee, I didn't mean anything specific, just pointing out that successful business practices often involve distasteful if not borderline dishonest behavior. Certainly not in all cases but I'd bet Mick played record and distribution companies against each other as well as things like using Stones value and capital to make his solo deals (as Keith has described) and played promoters against each other to secure the best end result, etc, etc.

It's all fair to an extent and I'm not accusing Mick of any wrong doing but to give an example, it's possible he negotiated with more entities than he let each one know, told them each different things based on what could benefit each negotiation and in describing the effort and energy he put into those deals it could piss some people off.

In general I guessing Mick is probably very shrewd and even possibly brutal in his business dealings, they are a big part of his life and telling about them might result in some loss of rock and roll street cred and adoration from his millions of fans. The bankers would probably love it but the average rock fan might just think...what a jerk.

It would be very fascinating stuff, imo, to hear how they protect their money from the tax man and organize their touring, publishing and record companies.

Most honest tax paying citizens would be furious if they understood just how many corporations maximize their revenue by doing things like Google, Facebook, Amazon,, etc do, for instance. Things like Google leasing their search engine business to a subsidiary company registered in the Bahamas so billions of dollars of business gets entered on the books as profits of this Bahamian company and almost NO taxes are paid on it. It's all legal but it's easy to see how a company obviously based in California should be paying at least as much tax on their profits as individuals living in that state are required to pay.

Anyway sorry to be so long winded but I think this might be the kind of thing that motivates Mick these days while Keith is dreaming of more mundane stuff. lol smoking smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:30

Turner68

Hopefully in 3D and IMAX.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:43

It's no surprise! Unlike Keith, who really does not care about anyone's disapproval, Mick cares a great deal. I think it's the difference in their class backgrounds; Keith's being working class and Mick's, middle class. There are so many skeletons in Mick's closet, the door doesn't even close. Where to begin - his treatment of all of the important women in his life - Chrissie, Marianne, Marsha, Bianca, Jerry, Carla and L'Wren. Apart from poor L'Wren, they are all alive and available to chime in and correct his sanitised version of their r'ship. And then of course there are his business dealings with others, like Ry Cooder and Mick Taylor. Like Anita's autobiography, Mick's will never see the light of day.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 22, 2015 10:47

I don't think Mick wants to reveal anything of him self on a personal level. He is a public figure but a very private person by nature. Therein lies the problem of a biography, he is not comfortable with it. Its the same in an interview with him, he gives the absolute least he can about himself on a personal level. He said he don't need the money from a bio, so to Mick, what's the point. Plus he likes to look forward, not back. We will never see a biography from Mick. He is not interested.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 22, 2015 10:50

Bliss
It's no surprise! Unlike Keith, who really does not care about anyone's disapproval, Mick cares a great deal. I think it's the difference in their class backgrounds; Keith's being working class and Mick's, middle class. There are so many skeletons in Mick's closet, the door doesn't even close. Where to begin - his treatment of all of the important women in his life - Chrissie, Marianne, Marsha, Bianca, Jerry, Carla and L'Wren. Apart from poor L'Wren, they are all alive and available to chime in and correct his sanitised version of their r'ship. And then of course there are his business dealings with others, like Ry Cooder and Mick Taylor. Like Anita's autobiography, Mick's will never see the light of day.

I agree with all of the above, Mick would be setting himself up for an almighty fall. Don't even go there Mick.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 22, 2015 11:08

keefriffhards
I don't think Mick wants to reveal anything of him self on a personal level. He is a public figure but a very private person by nature. Therein lies the problem of a biography, he is not comfortable with it. Its the same in an interview with him, he gives the absolute least he can about himself on a personal level. He said he don't need the money from a bio, so to Mick, what's the point. Plus he likes to look forward, not back. We will never see a biography from Mick. He is not interested.

Yes, he definitely seems to be not interested. He already said on an interview to look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money if we want to know about his life. grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 22, 2015 17:05

Kurt
So...
confused smiley

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to write an autobiography when your story is done.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 22, 2015 18:43

mr_dja
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to write an autobiography when your story is done.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Casanova did it.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 18:49

mitch
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Casanova did it.

Well they share the same interestsmileys with beer

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 22, 2015 18:54

Mick could never go ahead and do it because he thinks things about his life is nobody elses business. Another problem with him writing it would be unlike Keith who has a big mouth, Mick doesn't feel right telling stories about other and putting their stuff out there.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2015 20:11

keefriffhards

Actually, all of the above could refer also to Bob Dylan......who seems even more of a closed book than Mick. However Bob does have literary pretentions (and obvious abilities), his songwriting is more personal than Mick as well.

Date: October 22, 2015 20:24

jlowe
keefriffhards

Actually, all of the above could refer also to Bob Dylan......who seems even more of a closed book than Mick. However Bob does have literary pretentions (and obvious abilities), his songwriting is more personal than Mick as well.

Hmmm, I thought his Chronicles book revealed quite bit about how he thought and approached music and life. Everything from his reluctance to be the voice of a generation, his dislike of hippie ideals and leanings toward traditional family values, to his insecurities about how to express his art in later life. Mick seems a different animal altogether. Looking forward to the second volume that was promised.

Date: October 22, 2015 20:35

mr_dja
Kurt
So...
confused smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2015 22:54

Naturalust
jlowe
keefriffhards

Hmmm, I thought his Chronicles book revealed quite bit about how he thought and approached music and life. Everything from his reluctance to be the voice of a generation, his dislike of hippie ideals and leanings toward traditional family values, to his insecurities about how to express his art in later life. Mick seems a different animal altogether. Looking forward to the second volume that was promised.

Hi Naturalust, apologies for not being clear. What I was trying to say was that for someone who guards his private life so much, (eg he kept his second marriage a secret for many years), I was suprised he was writing his story at all.
Of course, in typical Bob fashion it wasnt your standard autobiography but I also found his book to be quite a relevation. I suspect if and when the 2nd and 3rd volumes ever come out his wives and children will get minimal reference again.

Mick could do the same, he has seen and experienced so much but maybe hasn't the same, I hate to say, intellectual depth, as Bob to write with the same intensity. I would put Macca in the same camp as Mick, he also plays with interviewers and you never really get below the surface.
There are many others, Van Morrison springs to mind and sadly I dont anticipate a book from him either.

Date: October 22, 2015 23:19

Thanks, NL, I see what you mean now.
Bliss, so true, on most of the women having the ability to come back with their own stories. Some won't talk, of course.

Cristiano, I forgot about that comment of Mick's, so funny and astute to a degree, yet not too helpul to people like us--that anyone who wants to know what he did in any given year can just look it up in Wikipedia.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-22 23:27 by angee.

Date: October 22, 2015 23:22

No worries jlowe, yes I understand what you are saying now about the guarding of his private life. I find Macca a much different interview that Mick however, always thought he was pretty honest, to the point and made pretty good attempts to answer the interviewers questions. His spot on the Howard Stern show and some of the interviews in Anthology were pretty direct, imo, not nearly as evasive and guarded as most Mick interviews. Probably both artists give strict instructions that questions about family and other personally private stuff are strictly off limits.

It's one of the reasons I always like to hear other people talking about both Mick and Keith, whether it's Anita, Marlon, Jane Rose, Bill German, you always seem to get a peak at something that is often hidden and very interesting, imo.

Date: October 22, 2015 23:31

Unlike a lot of people, I didn't care for Dylan's memoir. Maybe I didn't read it closely enough. One I disliked even more was Linda Ronstadt's, since she apparently decided not to talk much about her relationships, not at all, about some of them.

NL, I so enjoy that too, picking up a little tidbit here and there, one or another even confirmed later on by Mick or Keith.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 2, 2015 01:36

Rock stars and movie stars are notorious in the publishing world for failing to deliver acceptable book manuscripts. An article I read on the topic said Rex Harrison was signed to write his autobiography and, after a long time, his agent finally turned in the completed manuscript...of about 20 pages. The publisher said to the agent, "What the hell is this?" The agent said, "It will have lots of pictures."

Date: December 17, 2015 05:35

Maybe Mick could do his version of George Harrison's I Me Mine, do a book with a brief token "story of my life" and then talk about the making of every song both Stones and in his solo career.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home