Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's all the Fuss about The Stones Opening the Vaults?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:03

Whats all the fuss all the time here with a few members about The Stones opening the Vaults..anyway what Vaults, where are these so called Vaults?
I think most fans are quite happy with what they've got..smoking smiley

Re: What's all the Fuss about The Stones Opening the Vaults?
Posted by: mrD ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:08

It has something mystical, it is based on the assumption that the stones do not put their best songs on to albums, but hide them. e.g. ABB is a bad album with bad songs, but under the radar was their best song since satisfaction.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:21

colonial
Whats all the fuss all the time here with a few members about The Stones opening the Vaults..anyway what Vaults, where are these so called Vaults?

Part of it is the mystery of not knowing exactly what's there, particularly from the 1963 - 1967 era (there's certainly more than has surfaced on bootlegs so far).

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:25

There are 2 vaults, ABCKO and RSR.

We know exactly what's in the ABCKO vaults as it was on this site from the guy who worked with Mobile Fidelity.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:28

Yeah there is stuff in there worst than Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Dirty work. Keep the vaults closed. The out takes from Exile where sub par. That's why they didn't make the cut.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:36

colonial

If you really love something, colonial, then you can't get enough of it. Simple as that. Ya just can't get too much of a good thing.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:40

mrD
It has something mystical, it is based on the assumption that the stones do not put their best songs on to albums, but hide them. e.g. ABB is a bad album with bad songs, but under the radar was their best song since satisfaction.

mrD..yea'.. an assumption thats about it."I could'nt imagine The Stones or anyone holding out like that on the public"..all this Vault nonsense is just another myth.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:42

1. Because they don't release anything new
2. Because it'f fun listing to old unknown songs/outakes especially the pre 70 stuff
3. And we can more analyze how important Brain was ;o)

And what do you mean a few out here who dig the faults...........

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 15:54

This is probably a fraction of all the Rolling Stones faults.

[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:02

........ there was a cool (radio?) interview with Don Was around the time of
Exile reissue in 2010 where he talks about the vaults and some of the stuff that's in there --- somebody around here might know where ta find it....

another Don Was piece can be found on Stones In Exile - bonus section...
Exile Fans .... interviews are sliced up more than pototo chips
but if you sit through it all the Don Was stuff is pretty interesting

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:11

Colonial, you live in obvious denial. The fans are happy with what they've got? Maybe. It doesn't mean they wouldn't like unreleased material or previously released material release on CD for the first time. If you're happy with what you've got then why do you care that people want unreleased material released? You obviously are happy with what you've got so go listen to Dirty Work and revel in your...collection that will never grow if they release more unreleased!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:13

mrD

haha. best song since satisfaction. you're funny....

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:27

This is what we all know from listening to the bootlegs:

A)The Stones "write songs" by endlessly noodling in the studio. Often just Keith, Mick and/or Charlie playing with a riff or a crude musical idea.
cool smileyOnce the concept sort of gels they'll record a 10-12 minute version of it, usually to end up with four minutes of solid performance.
C)Then, hopefully, this will inspire lyrics, a chorus and perhaps a bridge segment which will be cropped into, or overdubbed upon, the basic recording.
D) They will then add Ronnie, maybe Darryl as well as some other instruments and effects resulting in a 5-6 minute track which will then be
E)edited (often too much i.e ABB, Some Girls)to 4 minutes or so and released.

This is what we can assume is in the vaults:

See "A," above.

Hence, it's safe to conclude there ain't nuthin' IN the vaults, Certainly not anything different or any better than what we know already. The Stones are notoriously lazy in their work and creative ethic resulting in just enough material to get by, especially in the post Tattoo You era

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 16:29 by R.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:55

I'd like to hear the Undercover unreleased outs esp. XXX and also the Knebworth, '76 El Mocombo '77 & Sir Morgan's Cove '81 tapes complete........amongst others...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 16:55 by EddieByword.

Date: July 18, 2011 16:59

Good leftovers from Voodoo and dare I say it Dirty Work. I for one do not care if they are finished or not, I just want the quality factor.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:01

Let's put Geraldo in charge of opening these vaults.

Date: July 18, 2011 17:29

EddieByword
I'd like to hear the Undercover unreleased outs esp. XXX and also the Knebworth, '76 El Mocombo '77 & Sir Morgan's Cove '81 tapes complete........amongst others...........

I have the Knebworth tape complete - or nearly all of it as I had to switch the cassette a couple of times! Must find it as its in the attic somewhere. Not a bad quality recording from what I remember.

Date: July 18, 2011 17:34

R

A)The Stones "write songs" by endlessly noodling in the studio. Often just Keith, Mick and/or Charlie playing with a riff or a crude musical idea.
cool smileyOnce the concept sort of gels they'll record a 10-12 minute version of it, usually to end up with four minutes of solid performance.
C)Then, hopefully, this will inspire lyrics, a chorus and perhaps a bridge segment which will be cropped into, or overdubbed upon, the basic recording.
D) They will then add Ronnie, maybe Darryl as well as some other instruments and effects resulting in a 5-6 minute track which will then be

See "A," above.

Hence, it's safe to conclude there ain't nuthin' IN the vaults, Certainly not anything different or any better than what we know already. The Stones are notoriously lazy in their work and creative ethic resulting in just enough material to get by, especially in the post Tattoo You era

In that case you've never heard the Some Girls Paris sessions - about 25 unreleased songs there alone. And then there's all the stuff from the 90s as well.
Plus there's loads of different version of songs from the 60s. I'd guess there must be at least 75-100 decent complete songs - be it unreleased or alt versions -that they could release.

Just go to the Hot Stuff page as a starting point to see what's available.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:47

(It has something mystical, it is based on the assumption that the stones do not put their best songs on to albums, but hide them. e.g. ABB is a bad album with bad songs, but under the radar was their best song since satisfaction.)

WITHOUT QUESTION THE MOST RIDICULOUS STATEMENT EVER MADE ON THIS BOARD!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:48

R

See "A," above.

They didn't always work like this though, particularly during my favourite (pre Beggar's Banquet) era.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:51

colonial
Whats all the fuss all the time here with a few members about The Stones opening the Vaults..)-

What a weird question, colonial.....
It' like if you didn't want your GF or BF to get undressed :-)

Date: July 18, 2011 20:35

Silver Dagger
EddieByword

I have the Knebworth tape complete - or nearly all of it as I had to switch the cassette a couple of times! Must find it as its in the attic somewhere. Not a bad quality recording from what I remember.

I do have the circulating complete Knebworth but there's a dramatic variation in the quality ...soundboard (sometimes pretty hissy) & audience (from at least a couple of sources I think)...and on top of that ...I have The Red Devil complete version 2CD (which I think is a straight copy of 'Hot August Night') and The Best of knebworth 1CD - Midnight Beat...just a sample example ...the Wild Horses on the 'Best of..' is much better than the 2CD although both SB....on top of that...all the video footage...all in all a ball of confusion as to what's best and where..I suppose the only answer is to go through everything available track by track and compile a definative version.............OR...better still if the Stones staff could do this....grinning smiley......Yours sounds interesting though SD....all one source and not bad recording.... are you able to upload stuff ?..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 20:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 18, 2011 20:51

Silver Dagger
R

See "A," above.

In that case you've never heard the Some Girls Paris sessions - about 25 unreleased songs there alone. And then there's all the stuff from the 90s as well.
Plus there's loads of different version of songs from the 60s. I'd guess there must be at least 75-100 decent complete songs - be it unreleased or alt versions -that they could release.

The late '70s Paris sessions was precisely why I said they haven't worked hard SINCE the post 'Tattoo You' era. I'm aware of that inspired and final large volume of work which resulted in both Some Girls and most of Emotional Rescue along with parts of Tattoo You. I am NOT aware, however, of any finished songs from then with the possible exception of Claudine and Do You Think I Care. Like the 4-6 volumes of Voodoo outtakes everything else is elongated and often meandering jams (Miss You, Whip Comes Down, You Got Me Rockin,' Sparks) or unfinished pieces and parts. Given that BTB was the only other work from the '90s and it was essentially dualing solo albums, I'm not aware of any outtakes from that era other than Keith's preferred mix of Might As Well Get Juiced. Given how 'padded' that record is, and how arduous the conditions of its creation, it's safe to assume that had any other quality material existed it could have easily replaced Too Tight or How Can I stop. Wonderful variants of issued Steel Wheels and ABB material exist but nothing finished or previously unheard of any consequence.

I'm sure '60s material exists but what has leaked in the FOUR DECADES since is likewise just unfinished variations of already issued material which logically leads one to conclude that there is is little else to be heard.

Date: July 18, 2011 20:52

EddieByword
Silver Dagger
EddieByword

I do have the circulating complete Knebworth but there's a dramatic variation in the quality ...soundboard (sometimes pretty hissy) & audience (from at least a couple of sources I think)...and on top of that ...I have The Red Devil complete version 2CD (which I think is a straight copy of 'Hot August Night') and The Best of knebworth 1CD - Midnight Beat...just a sample example ...the Wild Horses on the 'Best of..' is much better than the 2CD although both SB....on top of that...all the video footage...all in all a ball of confusion as to what's best and where..I suppose the only answer is to go through everything available track by track and compile a definative version.............OR...better still if the Stones staff could do this....grinning smiley......Yours sounds iinteresting though SD....all one source and not bad recording.... are you able to upload stuff ?..........

Nope, never worked out how to do that and first I gotta find it as it's at my mum's place in the attic in a box of live recordings I made in the mid-70s to early 80s. One of my recordings did surface though and is the early show at Wembley Sept 8 Sept 8.

Date: July 18, 2011 21:04

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger
EddieByword

I do have the circulating complete Knebworth but there's a dramatic variation in the quality ...soundboard (sometimes pretty hissy) & audience (from at least a couple of sources I think)...and on top of that ...I have The Red Devil complete version 2CD (which I think is a straight copy of 'Hot August Night') and The Best of knebworth 1CD - Midnight Beat...just a sample example ...the Wild Horses on the 'Best of..' is much better than the 2CD although both SB....on top of that...all the video footage...all in all a ball of confusion as to what's best and where..I suppose the only answer is to go through everything available track by track and compile a definative version.............OR...better still if the Stones staff could do this....grinning smiley......Yours sounds iinteresting though SD....all one source and not bad recording.... are you able to upload stuff ?..........

Nope, never worked out how to do that and first I gotta find it as it's at my mum's place in the attic in a box of live recordings I made in the mid-70s to early 80s. One of my recordings did surface though and is the early show at Wembley Sept 8 Sept 8.

Ah right..if you ever do dig it out I'm sure (if it's o.k. of course and the tape hasn't deteriorated).someone on Hotstuff would be glad to upload it ...if you wanted to that is.....are you able to transfer to CD ?.If not I'm sure that could be sorted out too..............You're not from Derby are you..........I had a brief contact and traded a few things with a guy from there who sent me some tapes that he also had to retrieve from his mum's attic.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 21:37 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 21:18

Some people, like myself, really enjoy the early Stones. For shortcuts, lets call it the Brian Jones era. If you've ever heard the pre-Decca stuff like 'Bright Lights, Big City', you find it very appealing. Hopefully there's some interesting stuff like that in their vaults. There's the BBC stuff, which is in dispute as to what quality exists.

Once Brian was out of the scene, I like to hear Bill on bass. That was the joy of 'Plundered My Soul'.

A rock and roll band has been successful for 50 years. Come on, there's got to be some interesting things in the vault.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 18, 2011 21:39

The mystery of the vaults:

Date: July 18, 2011 21:42

Munichhilton
The mystery of the vaults:

Is that your back room or Mick's ?.......I suspect the top one is Mick's....similar to the shots in 'Being Mick'.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 21:43 by EddieByword.

Date: July 18, 2011 21:43

Where's that picture of Mick sitting in front of the multi-track masters from BEING MICK?

Posted by: organicjoe ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:01

To me, opening the vaults is for example; one disc of Honky Tonk Women. Start with the first acoustic strum take (or whatever the first idea was), all through the numerous arrangements and versions, include single instrument tracks along the way, all this chronological to the final and released version. This would be an hour of heaven.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home