Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1975 Montauk rehearsal boots?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 17, 2008 04:18

Do these exist in any great shape or form? I know Rocks Off was dropped after one show, always wondered if they messed with other things then as well without playing them in concert. Was "shame shame shame" cut at those rehearsals? that i've heard before...

memory motel!

[www.flickr.com]

Re: 1975 Montauk rehearsal boots?
Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: November 17, 2008 12:50

Nothing in circulation of these days in Montauk unfortunately.
However, it would be great to see this thread turn up with the same fate as the Aberdeen thread.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 17, 2008 12:57

Macman15
Nothing in circulation of these days in Montauk unfortunately.
However, it would be great to see this thread turn up with the same fate as the Aberdeen thread.

Let's start with some pictures, while were waiting for the recordings to show up.

Stones at Montauk, most probably by Ken Regan. Part of Ron's rehearsal boots can be seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-17 13:00 by Britney.

Date: November 17, 2008 13:03

Ronnie rehearsing his goofy act at Montauk, by Annie Leibowitz or Christopher Simon Sykes.

Judging from the position of the microphones it's not unlikely the rehearsals were recorded.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-17 15:10 by Britney.

Date: November 17, 2008 13:11

Some info found on Nico Zentgraf's site.

750400A late April - 4th May: Montauk, Warhol Church Estate. Rehearsals for the upcoming North American tour ('Tour Of The Americas').
Additional musicians: RW (gtr, bass, bvoc)/Billy Preston (keyb, voc)/Ollie E. Brown (perc, dr, bvoc)
One day the rehearsals included:
- Jam 1
- Melody (MJ/KR)
- Jungle Man (Joseph Modeliste/Arthur Neville/Leo Nocentelli/Joseph Porter)
- Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie (Eddie Cochran)
- Jam 2

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 17, 2008 14:03

Britney

Judging from the position of the microphones it's not unlikely the rehearsals were recorded.

They probably were, but during rehearsels in larger rooms you also want the drums (especially the kick) to go through a small PA.

Now if anybody can identify the effect pedal Keith's using then a 20 year old mistery is solved!

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2008 14:17

>> Ronnie rehearsing his goofy act at Montauk, probably by Ken Regan. <<

probably by Annie Leibowitz - definitely either Leibowitz or Christopher Simon Sykes.

Date: November 17, 2008 14:26

Thanks with sssoul. I found the next pic of Keith at Montauk posted by Rockman credited to Ken Regan, so I assumed he was present at Montauk and therefore could have taken the other pics.

Ken Regan (or Annie Leibowitz/Christopher Simon Sykes?)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2008 14:56

yes, Ken Regan was present at Montauk, but so were other photographers.
Leibowitz & Sykes put out a book of their photos from the 75 tour -
that famous green-covered book - and the one of Ronnie acting wild-eyed is in it.
it would be way cool if you'd correct that photo credit, since people don't always read everything that follows - thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-18 09:03 by with sssoul.

Date: November 17, 2008 15:11

with sssoul
yes, Ken Regan was present at Montauk, by so were other photographers.
Leibowitz & Sykes put out a book of their photos from the 75 tour -
that famous green-covered book - and the one of Ronnie acting wild-eyed is in it.
it would be way cool if you'd correct that photo credit, since people don't always read everything that follows - thanks!

fixed.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:16

I'm wondering where this photo, by Gerard Malanga, was taken.
Anyone know?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:50

great photos, i wish i was there hanging out ,i wonder what keith was cooking in that frying pan maybe eggs?

Date: November 17, 2008 16:15

The Greek
great photos, i wish i was there hanging out ,i wonder what keith was cooking in that frying pan maybe eggs?

Junkie Eggs Benedict! Heavy on the Benedicts!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: November 17, 2008 16:33

the melanga photo is from south salem, where scott cantrel committed suicide

Date: November 17, 2008 17:01

Brit--that first photo is amazing--loved mick's pumas that year--they were the thing to be wearing

Date: November 17, 2008 17:22

hbwriter
the melanga photo is from south salem, where scott cantrel committed suicide

What year? (For the Keith pic, not Cantrel's misfortune)

Date: November 17, 2008 18:34

most likely '77-'78

Date: November 17, 2008 18:51

hbwriter
most likely '77-'78

Ah, just found out Keith bought a house in South Salem in spring 1978. On the pic he's probably trying out his new kitchen.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 17, 2008 19:09

Is Keith using a Vibroverb in that shot?
Or is it a Twin?

Date: November 17, 2008 19:35

i think it's a 4-jet gas infusion--oops, you don't mean the stove, do you? smiling smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 17, 2008 20:49

Mathijs
Britney

They probably were, but during rehearsels in larger rooms you also want the drums (especially the kick) to go through a small PA.

Now if anybody can identify the effect pedal Keith's using then a 20 year old mistery is solved!

Mathijs

To me it looks like a old Electro-Harmonix Phase Shifter.
They were pretty popular early to mid '70s.
A friend of mine had one. NOt as good as the MXRs, though.

Date: November 19, 2008 08:27

tomk
Mathijs
Britney

Mathijs

To me it looks like a old Electro-Harmonix Phase Shifter.
They were pretty popular early to mid '70s.
A friend of mine had one. NOt as good as the MXRs, though.

I think it's the Electo-Harmonix Small Stone phase shifter.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 9, 2012 23:16

Still no tapes???

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 10, 2012 00:01

I don't know if one such exists but boy if it does it will be something to behold....I've often flicked through the Sykes book and looked at the photos and wondered what they played and if it was recorded. IIt's just reminded me of one the stories in that book where Keith and Ronnie plant landmines around the buildings to blow up the fans who were getting in!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 10, 2012 00:14

Those are great stories.... Does anyone know what was rehearsed?i guess everything they played in 1975-76 and more according to Ronnie

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 10, 2012 02:49

Britney

Interesting - what about the mics make it look not unlikely they recorded?
-swiss

Date: April 10, 2012 05:27

What an interesting place to rehearse. Looks like an extra-large living room (with room for a grand piano).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 10, 2012 05:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

If you are talking about that last picture it looks like a DI box on the floor in front of Keith, not an effects pedal, judging from the XLR cable connection.

I would think the PA was more required for all the vocals than the kick drum but once you get started down that slippery slope...peace

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 10, 2012 11:33

Naturalust
Mathijs

Mathijs

If you are talking about that last picture it looks like a DI box on the floor in front of Keith, not an effects pedal, judging from the XLR cable connection.

I would think the PA was more required for all the vocals than the kick drum but once you get started down that slippery slope...peace

If you look at the higher resolution version of this pic you see that it is indeed a Small Stone Phaser.

I had a discussion a long time ago with a guy who had set up the rehearsal room for the 1973 rehearsals, and he stated that the Stones would have a PA for the vocals and drums, as Charlie isn't the loudest drummer on the planet. Chris Kimsey has stated the same about '77 and '78 rehearsals, and the guy who arranged the '81 Woodstock rehearsals also described a PA for the drums.

Mathijs

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 14, 2015 15:15

3DTeafoe

I'm wondering where this photo, by Gerard Malanga, was taken.
Anyone know?

Montauk. Now the pic of Keith scrambling the eggs makes sense! He was making brekkie for Marlon on 'take your child to work day.'

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home