Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New appreciation for "Let Me Go"
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: December 12, 2015 00:07

I've never liked this one before.

Always thought it was a filler on ER and the weakest card on Still Life.

Suddenly....after listening/watching the long version from Hampton (Keith. Ian Stewart and Ernie Watts on fire) and the version from Leeds (with Ian Stewart and Chuck playing together).... I really love this song. What a groove.

....and did Mick always went into the crowd (with security guards) - or was that something he added, for a couple of shows, late that tour?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 00:13 by Tops.

Re: New appreciation for "Let Me Go"
Date: December 12, 2015 00:53

I wholeheartedly agree!

Gene Barge, not Ernie, though.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 01:50

it's pretty solid, actually. what i like to call "high quality filler". and yes i agree the version at Leeds is stellar.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 12, 2015 02:53

not crazy about live versions, but always liked the studio version a lot. It has a punkish raw sound to it, and "move to the West Side of town" front and backing vocals from Jagger were great.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 12, 2015 02:56

don't you see the party's over?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2015 03:01

I always loved this tune - cool guitars, and Micks lyrics and singing along w/backup vocals are great .
All around kick ass tune of this period, a highlight of Emotional Rescue - better than She's so Cold imo.
Part of the best of the last, or last of the best. The end of an era was near...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 12, 2015 04:05

Hated the live versions: too fast and one-dimensional. But the studio version has all the charms: a just-right groove. The sleigh-bell percussion. Charlie's Charlie-esque stop-time drumming ("The bell has rung and I've called time"). Mick purring about frequenting gay bars. And, not least, one of my favorite Keith solos of all time: unhurried, note-perfect, and reminscent of what he did later on "You Don't Move Me."

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 12, 2015 04:13

Mel Belli
Hated the live versions: too fast and one-dimensional. But the studio version has all the charms: a just-right groove. The sleigh-bell percussion. Charlie's Charlie-esque stop-time drumming ("The bell has rung and I've called time"). Mick purring about frequenting gay bars. And, not least, one of my favorite Keith solos of all time: unhurried, note-perfect, and reminscent of what he did later on "You Don't Move Me."

Yes, yes,Mel Belli!

"The bell has rung and I've called time, the chair is on the table out the door, baby! CYMBAL CRASH!

That cymbal crash might be my single favorite Stones moment ever.

T@3

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2015 04:15

One of those odd fantastic tunes. Nice playing in it. Mick has a leer in his voice.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2015 04:48

From LSTNT it seems that Mick doesn't follow the lyrics... and Hampton and... the whole tour?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 12, 2015 05:46

Since '02, on any tune on which they had customarily departed from the studio arrangement, they've tried to re-create the original. "Stray Cat Blues," for example. "Let Me Go" is one that would benefit from a faithful rendering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 05:58 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: December 12, 2015 10:37

Mel Belli

+1

love the album version , never the too fast live versions

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 10:49

I love the Leeds '82 version, Keith's guitar intro is out of this worldgrinning smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 12, 2015 11:57

Does Mick ever sing the Playboy verse live? It's not song at Leeds.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 12:42

One of my favourite on ER. Classic Stones rockabilly with beautiful guitars and great singing. I especially enjoy the slower but very exciting tempo of the studio version.
Live versions are also great fun.

Date: December 12, 2015 13:24

Maindefender
Does Mick ever sing the Playboy verse live? It's not song at Leeds.

He sings it on Still Life.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2015 13:44

I always loved the hyper Hampton rendition, and had to learn to love the studio version,
but thanks to some very capable help from iorrians (you know who you are!) I did learn (thank you!).
Still, the staging of the concert renditions slays me every time: that nervous skinny little frontman cat
getting out in the crowds to let people put their hands on him while he's singing "let me go!"

I wonder if that would count as Brechtian. I'm never sure. But either way, it's astonishing

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 12, 2015 14:22

Having been "bred" on "Still Life" that song is pretty close to my heart. Hearing the studio version a few years later was a bit disappointment...possibly because the whole ER album was a bit of a disappointment after the energy of SL. The falsetto on ER was really quite disturbing for a 13 year old, hehe, and my dad was appalled when he heard it by accident once!

Can't see why they would unearth it for live shows, but who knows, stranger things have happened in Stonesland !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 12, 2015 14:47

Live it didn't work. But the studio version is one of my favorite Stones tracks at all. Great guitars and a perfect Charlie ...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 12, 2015 17:05

Let Me Go is a fantastic piece of music on an fantastic but highly underrated album. The intro alone is worth millions.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 12, 2015 17:29

HMS
Let Me Go is a fantastic piece of music on an fantastic but highly underrated album. The intro alone is worth millions.

Perfect analysis

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 12, 2015 17:42

Munichhilton
HMS

Perfect analysis

maybe i'll become
a playboy, hang around in
gay bars and move...to

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 12, 2015 17:56

it's a rhythm-lead clinic.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: December 12, 2015 18:16

with sssoul
I always loved the hyper Hampton rendition, and had to learn to love the studio version,
but thanks to some very capable help from iorrians (you know who you are!) I did learn (thank you!).
Still, the staging of the concert renditions slays me every time: that nervous skinny little frontman cat
getting out in the crowds to let people put their hands on him while he's singing "let me go!"

I wonder if that would count as Brechtian. I'm never sure. But either way, it's astonishing

I love the Rolling Stones

another example of The Rolling Stones Brechtian performances!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 12, 2015 18:25

Natlanta
it's a rhythm-lead clinic.

...you mean the sóng, or the bánd!? smoking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 12, 2015 18:58

TeaAtThree
Mel Belli

Yes, yes,Mel Belli!

"The bell has rung and I've called time, the chair is on the table out the door, baby! CYMBAL CRASH!

That cymbal crash might be my single favorite Stones moment ever.

T@3

Ha! T@3
Midwat into Mel's post i was like, 'Yes, Yes, Yes!'
You beat me to it.
Love this song. Its got a lazy, sleazy feel, and Mick's sneering, sarcastic voice and Keith's solo. All checked!
And that line, 'Maybe Ill become a playboyyyee..hang around in gay barrrrrsss and mooooove to the west side of townnn..'
One of my alltime favorite Jaggerisms. He sounds wasted and hopeless and effortlessly sexy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 19:02 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 12, 2015 19:13

stupidguy2
TeaAtThree
Mel Belli
Hated the live versions: too fast and one-dimensional.

And that line, 'Maybe Ill become a playboyyyee..hang around in gay barrrrrsss and mooooove to the west side of townnn..'
One of my alltime favorite Jaggerisms. He sounds wasted and hopeless and effortlessly sexy.

Yes! and Yes again!! It's the effortlessly sexy, wasted and hopeless phrasing that makes the studio version so perfect and is lost live. However, the extended live solos make it so that one can love it -- just in an entirely different way.

Those who label it "filler" miss how the subtleties of performance can elevate a song. Is it an "important" song like Sympathy? Of course not. It's the craft behind the performance.

I also love how the lyrics continue the New York City vibe that so informed the entirety of Some Girls before it.

T@3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 19:13 by TeaAtThree.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 12, 2015 19:20

I am one, who has said that EMOTIONAL RESCUE is one of approximately 12 great albums in the career of the Rolling Stones, and that there is not one weak song on this album. All the same, comparatively speaking, to me this is clearly the weakest song on this underestimated album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 19:25 by Witness.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 12, 2015 20:34

Witness
I am one, who has said that EMOTIONAL RESCUE is one of approximately 12 great albums in the career of the Rolling Stones, and that there is not one weak song on this album. All the same, comparatively speaking, to me this is clearly the weakest song on this underestimated album.

I agree that there is not one weak song in this album, but then, there aren't any extradonary stand-out cuts either, that is, to count out our subjective taste, the ones we might call 'classics' with no any kind of hesitation either. Without having that kind of key songs, it is doomed to remain kind of lesser, a bit faceless work between SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

But as far as "Let Me Go" go, that's always been one of favourites in the album. Actually when I first heard the album, that was the only song that somehow made an impression to me. Of course, since then I have learned to appreciate the album much, much more, but let's say, at the time, I wasn't ready to 'get' the album at all. It was one of my first Stones albums after being hooked by TATTOO YOU, and especially compared to it - and some of the older, classical stuff I had by then - it really sounded odd with its sleazy feel and disco, funk, reggae, pseudo punk stuff, and especially Jagger's twisted vocals... In 1982 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sounded strangely dated album to my teenager ears. Like anythng of the coolness and majestity and eternatilty they absorded in TATTOO YOU was not there at all. (I guess it is clear that now I think differently.)

But "Let Me Go" was an expection. The 'rock-a-billy' guitar sound and feel of it reminded me positively of "Little T&A". I loved - and still do - of that sound and feel.

I have never been a huge fan of the live version(s) that I was first introduced when STILL LIFE was released. I always like the idea of doing the song differently than in studio original (to use artistic imagination and to have a some kind of unique point in live performances), but "Let Me Go" always sound a bit rushed and one-dimensional to my ears. Like they can't really handle the tempo they have there - even this time it is even more rock-a-billy than originally! The outcome is just a bit monotoneus to my ears, lacking some peculiar Stones dynamics.

But the version in the new Leeds DVD is a great one. I wasn't that impressed of the whole show, but that song stood out. Probably it is the (visual) Ian Stewart part, and probably some sort of nostalgy sentiment attached there, which makes the difference.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 20:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 12, 2015 21:39

Doxa
Witness

I agree that there is not one weak song in this album, but then, there aren't any extradonary stand-out cuts either, that is, to count out our subjective taste, the ones we might call 'classics' with no any kind of hesitation either. Without having that kind of key songs, it is doomed to remain kind of lesser, a bit faceless work between SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

But as far as "Let Me Go" go, that's always been one of favourites in the album. Actually when I first heard the album, that was the only song that somehow made an impression to me. Of course, since then I have learned to appreciate the album much, much more, but let's say, at the time, I wasn't ready to 'get' the album at all. It was one of my first Stones albums after being hooked by TATTOO YOU, and especially compared to it - and some of the older, classical stuff I had by then - it really sounded odd with its sleazy feel and disco, funk, reggae, pseudo punk stuff, and especially Jagger's twisted vocals... In 1982 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sounded strangely dated album to my teenager ears. Like anythng of the coolness and majestity and eternatilty they absorded in TATTOO YOU was not there at all. (I guess it is clear that now I think differently.)

But "Let Me Go" was an expection. The 'rock-a-billy' guitar sound and feel of it reminded me positively of "Little T&A". I loved - and still do - of that sound and feel.

I have never been a huge fan of the live version(s) that I was first introduced when STILL LIFE was released. I always like the idea of doing the song differently than in studio original (to use artistic imagination and to have a some kind of unique point in live performances), but "Let Me Go" always sound a bit rushed and one-dimensional to my ears. Like they can't really handle the tempo they have there - even this time it is even more rock-a-billy than originally! The outcome is just a bit monotoneus to my ears, lacking some peculiar Stones dynamics.

But the version in the new Leeds DVD is a great one. I wasn't that impressed of the whole show, but that song stood out. Probably it is the (visual) Ian Stewart part, and probably some sort of nostalgy sentiment attached there, which makes the difference.

- Doxa

Now only so painfully slow and clumsy on the phone:

This song is in my wiev the most, possibly the only, more or less 'retro' of this album. Where, if not with a claim any more to be groundbreaking in the development of rock and pop music at large, "Dance", "Down in the Hole", "She's So Cold", and "All About You" are remarkable as innovative songs within the concept of Rolling Stones music in my horizon.

I am in the minority, I openly acknowledge that, but to this listener, TATTOO YOU, is not that innovative, apart from containing that marvellous song "Waiting on a Friend". (And I have no agenda as such of wanting to reduce products from a later date, I simply have a personal problem with almost any other claiming TATTOO YOU to be that great.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home