Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Got The Silver-Brian and Keith
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 16, 2011 05:42

This was the last great example of Brian and Keith working well together. Brian's autoharp sounds so beautiful and lends a country feel to the track. Keith's guitars are great here, particularly his Robert Johnson-style acoustic chords in the beginning. The first two-thirds of the song is great, but it loses me just a tad when it gets loud at the end with Keith clearly not able to reach those high vocal notes. I just love the southern Mississippi vibe of this track, kind of like No Expectations. Job well done!

Re: You Got The Silver-Brian and Keith
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:35

I don't know, Keith failing to hit those notes, back then, had a certain charm to it. I wonder if he ever saw someone about trying to save some of his voice before it was completely gone, as on the Shine A Light DVD.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:38

This track is a thing of beauty. Keith sang the hell out of it. Wish that when he finally did his solo album there would have been some stuff like this on it. The man has Country in his soul.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 16, 2011 10:56

I prefer the Jagger vocal version...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 16, 2011 13:35

It's a great track, Keith's voice makes it all the more poignant.

There's also a bit of irony or whatever in that one of the last things Brian played on which got released is a song which is most likley about Anita.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 16, 2011 15:31

Sleepy City
Agreed! And it's not just the vocals that are superior, it's a better mix too, with more of Brian's autoharp.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 16, 2011 15:58

One of the best songs Keith ever wrote. But are those backwards guitars on the track? Never could quite work them out but they sound great.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 16, 2011 22:21

Sleepy City

You really hear the autoharp on this version. Keith's voice is better suited for this song however, despite those missed notes at the end.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 16, 2011 23:00

Silver Dagger
One of the best songs Keith ever wrote. But are those backwards guitars on the track? Never could quite work them out but they sound great.

The autoharp? It's brilliant. Better than I thought. Keiths slide is great as is his voice. Mick cant sing it, this is Keiths and Brians strange homage to Anita. Their saddest song.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 17, 2011 15:43

The backwards thing is backwards echo effect, note that it's not on the Jagger vocal version.

Some info on backwards echo...

[www.led-zeppelin.org]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 17, 2011 16:49

His Majesty
The backwards thing is backwards echo effect, note that it's not on the Jagger vocal version.

Some info on backwards echo...

[www.led-zeppelin.org]

Thanks HM! Good info. although I love everything Keith sang from 1968-1978 and maybe 1982 this could be the his best vocal.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 17, 2011 18:17

The Jagger version is ok but this is Keith's song and it is a magical song one of his best!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 17, 2011 18:41

What "missed notes"?

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 17, 2011 23:29

If the rumours about Mick and Anita at the set of Performance is true, then it's actually funny in a bittersweet way that Mick sings it,

Anyway. I think that the song shows a very naked and honest Keith. He really sings with his heart on that song and of course it's the released version with him on vocals that is the superior one. Love it! I find it ironic that Brian appears on it at all after everything. But his autoharp is beautiful and fits, as always, perfectly.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 18, 2011 04:33

Love this song. Love the original, and love the version with Mick singing lead. Also love Keith's versions from the '99 tour. Just a great song! And as it ends, I wanna hear those opening notes to Monkey Man....... the whole LIB album is so wonderful.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:37

I had the pleasure of hearing Keith sing this live a few years ago....and I have to say, he did a fine job. I wish he'd stick to this kind of song when he does his mini-set. I do prefer Mick's vocal,however. Ronnie played slide along side Keith and Keith just sang, he didn't play guitar at all. A great Stones moment!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 17, 2011 02:56

THANK YOU for that fantastic alternate take ... YEAH! I can finally hear the autoharp! Listened for it for years too ... talk about buried – that's as deep in the dirt as one can get!

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 17, 2011 03:07

This is one of those things that (despite being heavily bootlegged) should see an official release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home