Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Could Borrow An Idea From Steely Dan
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 13, 2011 01:52

Check out the tour page at

[www.steelydan.com]

Look at what they're doing at the Beacon Theatre. Rotating setlists. Not simply mixing things up a little from one night to the next, but doing a completely different show every night. One night it's a classic album in its entirety plus selected hits. Another night it's "Dawn Of The Dan", featuring material exclusively from their first three albums. Then there's a "By Popular Demand" show, with fans choosing the setlist. There's a "Rarities" show for hardcore fans. There's even a "21st Century Dan" show of recent material for really hardcore fans.

What could the Stones do to get me excited? They could do something like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-13 02:06 by tatters.

Re: Stones Could Borrow An Idea From Steely Dan
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2011 01:56

well they hinted at doing it in 2002 - but in the end.....

Date: July 13, 2011 02:03

It would be cool, though, wouldn't it? You could choose which type of Stones show you wanted to go to. You could see them in a stadium doing one of the Big Four in its entirety plus selected hits. You could see them in an arena doing a show consisting exclusively of material from the Brian Jones era. You could see them in a theatre doing a show consisting exclusively of material from the Ron Wood era.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2011 02:58

I'm not sure Keith is capable of doing something that fluid and on the fly at this point. Even his spontaneity is staged. Of course, then again, as long as he still has skills maybe he would be energized by playing older stuff.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 13, 2011 03:15

There is one big difference between the Stones and Steely Dan which is extra relevant here:

Steely Dan are really skilled "geeky" musicians -- the duo themselves as well as their band members -- capable of nailing a lot of obscure things without ages of rehearsal. Whereas the Stones need half a tour of mostly warhorses, or at least setlists which are mostly static, before they're reasonably tight (depending on your preferences). If the Stones jump between completely different sets with tons of obscure material and first time outings, they're bound to be trainwrecks. Even back in '72 they sounded sloppy when they did less obvious and rare stuff.

I'm not saying the Stones should be as slick as Steely Dan (they're very different bands), but they still need to play their own songs at least as good as they did in 2006 to be just above acceptable, IMHO.

I used to love when the Stones pulled out rare stuff on stage, but these days I'm kinda glad they leave some of their old album gems alone. Hate to say it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-13 03:17 by LieB.

Date: July 13, 2011 04:47

LieB
There is one big difference between the Stones and Steely Dan which is extra relevant here:

Steely Dan are really skilled "geeky" musicians -- the duo themselves as well as their band members -- capable of nailing a lot of obscure things without ages of rehearsal. Whereas the Stones need half a tour of mostly warhorses, or at least setlists which are mostly static, before they're reasonably tight (depending on your preferences). If the Stones jump between completely different sets with tons of obscure material and first time outings, they're bound to be trainwrecks. Even back in '72 they sounded sloppy when they did less obvious and rare stuff.

I'm not saying the Stones should be as slick as Steely Dan (they're very different bands), but they still need to play their own songs at least as good as they did in 2006 to be just above acceptable, IMHO.

I used to love when the Stones pulled out rare stuff on stage, but these days I'm kinda glad they leave some of their old album gems alone. Hate to say it.

I think you're right. It would require a tremendous amount of time spent in rehearsals for the Stones to even attempt some of the songs, rarely or never played live, they would be required to play if, for example, they were going to do the entire Exile album. And spending a lot of time together, in rehearsals or anywhere else, doesn't seem to be something Mick and Keith are too interested in doing these days. It's fun to pipe dream it though. Based on the Steely Dan model, I envision eight different shows the Stones could do on their next tour.

-Beggars plus warhorses
-LIB plus warhorses
-Sticky plus warhorses
-Exile (plus warhorse encore)
-Brian Jones era show
-Ron Wood era show
-By popular demand fan requests show
-New album in its entirety plus rarities show

With the tour alternating between stadiums, arenas and theatres, you'd have, theoretically twenty-four different Rolling Stones concert experiences to choose from, though, admittedly, only the Big Four plus warhorses shows would be appropriate for stadiums.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-13 05:01 by tatters.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 13, 2011 05:14

love the idea but well all of the reasons above say it all as to why it wont happen, btw i think part of it is laziness as well as not having the skills to pull it off

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 13, 2011 06:12

There is also the issue of maximizing revenue.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2011 06:56

Wry Cooter
There is also the issue of maximizing revenue.

No kidding. Half the audience is there to hoot and call their buddy's on their cell phones because they recognize Honkey Tonk Women. They'd just be lost if you played 'Sad Day'.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 13, 2011 09:18

Just saw Elvis Costello in three shows at the Beacon. He literally had people spin a giant game show wheel with 40 song titles on it and the band would play whatever song it landed on. Fantastic. All three shows were completely different (apart from a 4-5 song opener.) I'm not suggesting the Stones do this exactly, but if they actually announced beforehand that these shows would be different, and perhaps not feature as many hits, the right people would end up in the seats. Of course they would need Taylor and Wyman for part of these shows to make it really special. Or one show could feature the current band, and another the 1969-1974 lineup, etc. It would be amazing. Will they do it? No.

Date: July 13, 2011 13:14

71Tele
Just saw Elvis Costello in three shows at the Beacon. He literally had people spin a giant game show wheel with 40 song titles on it and the band would play whatever song it landed on.

If it kept landing on the same song did he play it over and over?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2011 13:56

tatters
Check out the tour page at

[www.steelydan.com]

Look at what they're doing at the Beacon Theatre. Rotating setlists. Not simply mixing things up a little from one night to the next, but doing a completely different show every night. One night it's a classic album in its entirety plus selected hits. Another night it's "Dawn Of The Dan", featuring material exclusively from their first three albums. Then there's a "By Popular Demand" show, with fans choosing the setlist. There's a "Rarities" show for hardcore fans. There's even a "21st Century Dan" show of recent material for really hardcore fans.

What could the Stones do to get me excited? They could do something like this.

The Stones could easily do a tour like Steely Dan,
but from a musical point of view if that's what you're referring to ??

For starters they would at least need a second guitar player like Taylor when he released his first solo album in '79. He was in his best shape then imo.

so...

Just forget it...smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-13 14:25 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 13, 2011 14:40

Micky Don't Lose That Number?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2011 14:49

Elmo Lewis
Micky Don't Lose That Number?

"You told me Ron was genius since I was 17, but after all those years I still don't know what you mean" ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home