Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stones 2012-this is what you'll probably get...
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 20:30

this qoute is taken from an interview with mick during the rehearsals for the bigger bang tour:

" i didnt think the stones should do another big tour.i was thinking of just 20 shows.there are all these festivals in the summer.lets do ten gigs in america,then come to europe"

he was having doubts back then so its almost certain at this point the giant tours are a thing of the past.this short tour thing is most likely what you'll see from the stones from now on.

will they just pack it in for good,no chance.

Re: stones 2012-this is what you'll probably get...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2011 20:53

I'm sure all these things look wonderful to Mick until someone points out the economics of it, and then a sucker, sponsor, comes along and voila, a full blown tour; ransacking North America's football stadiums, and on to Europe, Brazil, Zanzibar ("Because we've never played there), and Tierra del Fuego. You really think these guys won't be tempted by the last big payday?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 20:53

Yes, absolutely! This makes much more sense going forward. I have said all along that ABB was the perfect way to end their mega tour era. Time to spend the remaining years in the studio and doing select live shows as you have stated here. Glad to hear Mick is considering it, of course he is.smoking smiley

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 20:56

24FPS
I'm sure all these things look wonderful to Mick until someone points out the economics of it, and then a sucker, sponsor, comes along and voila, a full blown tour; ransacking North America's football stadiums, and on to Europe, Brazil, Zanzibar ("Because we've never played there), and Tierra del Fuego. You really think these guys won't be tempted by the last big payday?

No doubt they will be tempted but hopefully reason will prevail.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2011 21:00

There's no way they'll do another tour that runs for about 150 shows, and which plays every place where they have an audience. Even if they were to start this next time next year, thats going to require them being on the road until 2014. Ain't gonna happen.

It'll be mostly 'A' markets if they go on the road again. For a lot of fans outside Western Europe and North America, the ABB tour was their last chance to see the Stones anywhere close by. I'd honestly be surprised if their next tour takes in much more than about 80 shows. Summer 2012 to Summer 2013, and thats it. I would also expect more shows at festivals than before.

Its a huge risk for promoters in this day and age to book a concert for a band which (going by their last tour) expects to gross an average of $4 million per show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 21:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 12, 2011 21:10

they might suprise us and take a "been there done that" approach to the big tours even if the money is there.

i know it doesnt fall in line with micks money grubber image to some fans but as you get older time becomes more important than money.and theres charlie to consider,he would be the first one to say,i'll do the short tour but a long grind at any price,piss off.

i posted yesterday an article from a guitar player magazine in 2002 with keith saying the same "tiny todger" crack about mick.it didnt break up the band then either-thats that subject,gone.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2011 21:26

Good.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 12, 2011 21:32

>>time becomes more important than money.

That is the heart of it. Mick is so clearly busy with and enjoying other things: his film projects, Super Heavy, L'Wren's design career, re-doing his new mansion in London. As I posted before, to my ears, the last decent new material they produced was B2B in 1997 - written 15 long years ago. I personally thought A Bigger Bang was so awful that it was not even worth ripping a copy borrowed from the library, and I am a completist. 'Life' was the final nail in his r'ship with Keith - he already hadn't been to Keith's dressing room in 20 years, for heaven's sake - and it's hard to imagine him sharing any new creative impulse with Keith at this stage. How could they tour without a new album to tour behind? Just more warhorses? The best they can do right now as a group is open the vaults and suck them dry, and then go out with some dignity.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 12, 2011 22:42

lem motlow
this qoute is taken from an interview with mick during the rehearsals for the bigger bang tour:

" i didnt think the stones should do another big tour.i was thinking of just 20 shows.there are all these festivals in the summer.lets do ten gigs in america,then come to europe"

he was having doubts back then so its almost certain at this point the giant tours are a thing of the past.this short tour thing is most likely what you'll see from the stones from now on.

will they just pack it in for good,no chance.

He was already hesitating going on tour in the late 70'ies early 80'ies.
Don't think Mick is so eager going on tour as everybody thinks.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 23:32

I have been saying this for many years, but I would love if the Stones followed the old Grateful dead model, Do a Spring tour and/or Fall Tour or Winter Tour and/or Summer Tour every year or two. smiling bouncing smiley

Pearl Jam, I know, I'm sorry,eye rolling smiley because of the band members getting married and having kids the last few years have been doing it like this:

2007: few shows in U.S.; Summer festivals Europe
2008: U.S. East Coast summer Tour (1 month)
2009: Fall U.S. tour (2 month), Winter Australian (1 month)
2010: Spring U.S. tour (1 month) and Summer Europe tour
2011: Fall Canadian Tour, Winter South American Tour

I dont buy into that if the Stones toured they have to do it so big,confused smiley that just doesn't make sense. If they wanted to do small tours they can do it. Its that simple. They are the Rolling Stones for god-sake, if these other bands can be masters of their own destiny, then surely our beloved band can be as well . . .

Date: July 12, 2011 23:41

50 years...50 United States
No Europe...will be economically on fire!

Come on guys, is so simple, it's all ball bearings these days!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 13, 2011 00:56

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:17

I'd expect a greatest hits release with possibly some 'new' songs put on.

90 mniutes maximum show time. Sticking to major cities, multiple nights with 1 or 2 nights break between shows.

12 months on the road if that.

They won't adopt a Dead style pattern of touring simply because they're almost dead.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:42

Who's Driving Your Plane?
50 years...50 United States
No Europe...will be economically on fire!

Come on guys, is so simple, it's all ball bearings these days!

Yes...the US economy is doing so well, after all!

Alaska or London ? - Alaska every time. Much bigger market. Easy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home