Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Side 2 Tattoo You...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2011 05:15

...and specifically Worried About You.

I had this blasted in the back yard today while playing badminton with the kids.

It absolutely rocked and I forgot how much I loved this.

IMHO, it absolutely blows away any track on Some Girls. (ok, I may be looking for a fight).

The falsetto is fantastic, as is the solo, and the tour de force wall of sound coming out of the solo is mind blowing.

Re: Side 2 Tattoo You...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2011 05:46

A beautiful, elegant side. I've even grown to tolerate 'Waiting on a Friend', mostly for the god like sax solo. Maybe the last time the Stones seemed mysterious.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 9, 2011 05:58

one of the greatest album sides in the history of rock n roll IMO

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 9, 2011 06:11

melillo

If you are going to say it like that...
Wouldnt it be "Hot Rocks" Side Three
1."Jumpin' Jack Flash" – 3:41
2."Street Fighting Man" – 3:14
3."Sympathy for the Devil" – 6:18
4."Honky Tonk Women" – 3:00
5."Gimme Shelter" – 4:31

Date: July 9, 2011 06:13

melillo

There really is not a weak track on that side.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 9, 2011 06:20

...the real gem is Tops...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 9, 2011 06:26

Opening song for the next tour should be Heaven.

Date: July 9, 2011 06:36

Rip This

I get torn between the two actually. Today was Worried About You for sure.

I keep thinking of it as a ballad, but the rock out after the Perkins guitar solo is what did it for me this afternoon. Love that build to the crescendo.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:41

Max'sKansasCity
melillo

If you are going to say it like that...
Wouldnt it be "Hot Rocks" Side Three
1."Jumpin' Jack Flash" – 3:41
2."Street Fighting Man" – 3:14
3."Sympathy for the Devil" – 6:18
4."Honky Tonk Women" – 3:00
5."Gimme Shelter" – 4:31

Compilation albums don't count. Tattoo You is the last LP to ever make sense.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:48

Probably my favorite album side of the Stones.

I was living in suburban Boston when it came out, around Labor Day 1981, and I played that side all Labor Day weekend.

To this day, it is not officially Labor Day weekend unless I play the second side of Tattoo.

Jerry Lewis should devote 30 minutes of his Labor Day telethon show to a playing of side two instead of having some comedian who hasn't been funny in about 45 years get up and do his act.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:49

Tattoo You is a compilation album.....No use in crying

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 9, 2011 22:43

The fast side/slow side worked on TY.
Rod Stewart's Atlantic Crossing has a fast/slow side.
Not sure if it worked too much there.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: July 9, 2011 22:49

Have always loved this song . When Jagger breaks out into " Now I'm A Hard -Working Man , When Did I Ever Do You Wrong " IUt's pure magic . And I think the production by Bob Clearmountain was the right fit . Very crisp sounding . TOPS rocks too .

Date: July 9, 2011 23:09

"Greatest album side of all time" is "side 3 of Hot Rocks". period.

fwiw- I was never much of a Bee Gees fan, and I never really cared for any songs which sounded like Bee Gees songs... but to each his/her own... I try not judge others tastes, no matter how bad.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 9, 2011 23:57

Love it. When I saw the Stones at the Joint in Las Vegas on the 40 Licks tour and Mick sat down at the keyboard and started this song I was in heaven.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 10, 2011 00:54

Mongoose
Probably my favorite album side of the Stones.

I was living in suburban Boston when it came out, around Labor Day 1981, and I played that side all Labor Day weekend.

To this day, it is not officially Labor Day weekend unless I play the second side of Tattoo.

Jerry Lewis should devote 30 minutes of his Labor Day telethon show to a playing of side two instead of having some comedian who hasn't been funny in about 45 years get up and do his act.

This year is Jerry's final telethon and it will only run six hours on the Sunday before Labor Day.

He probably won't have enough time to play an entire album side.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2011 01:56

uhbuhgullayew

And wait for Daryll to screw up the bass.

Date: July 10, 2011 02:03

24FPS
uhbuhgullayew

And wait for Daryll to screw up the bass.

Yeah and maybe the Gibb Brothers could be guest singers, it sounds like them.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 10, 2011 02:16

Side two is great. Greatest side in rock history??? That is a bot of a stretch but I love side two. It is pieced together very well. That said I think side 1 is just as strong if not stronger. I love Slave that is on my top 10 Stones tracks ever.

There is really no weak song on the album. It is cohesive for being an album of outakes. The last album I would call truly "great". That is a word that gets thrown around far too often.

Start Me Up - The song is overdone but its the last really instantaneous riff from Keith. You know the ones that are just him. It alwaysworks well as a show opener and I love Woody's solo in there as well.

Hang Fire - Another one that a lot of people don't like but I think it rocks. I wish they's play this one live.

Slave - One of the raunchiest sounds that Keith has ever produced. I love this song great vibes full of the old Stones menace.

Black Limousine - Really good R&B track. Stu said bloody ordinary I disagree with Stu on this one. Good song

Little T&A - One of Keith's better rockers and the lyrics sound inspired. i think its about Patty. Another good riff.

Neighbors - I also like this one. Good drumming from Charlie!

Worried About You - This song is just awesome!! I love Mick's falsetto and then the old sneer in the second half of the song. The version on 4 flicks gives me goosebumps!

Tops = Another great song. i love Mick's singing on this one.

Heaven - Very intersting song. Could have fit on side three of Exile. Pretty much unlike any other Stones song. In 1981 I associated the Stones with mostly kick ass rock songs. This song got me into a lot of other types of songs.

No Use In Crying - Another really good bluesy song in the vain of I Got the Blues.

Waiting On A Friend - Great song, great video and a fantastic sax solo.

This album will always be near and dear to me. I was into the Stones prior to its release but had never seen them. The whole Stones vibe for the British Are Coming tour was incredible I was a senior in high school and the Stones did not play Boston but I was the envy of the school because I got three tickets from a friend whose brother worked for Jovan for their Hartford show. First time I saw them it was so exciting. The show was awesome only because I was there I heard a boot of the show not long ago and it was not that good. But being there was incredible!

It would have been nice to see them tour Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and especially A Bigger Bang with the enthusiasm that they did Tattoo You. The show had Start Me Up, Hang Fire, Black Limousine, Lttle T&A, Nighbors and Waiting On A Friend plus they played two from ER and 4 or 5 songs from Some Girls. It was like they really cared about the recent stuff as well as playing the old hits.

Incredible album and a great tour!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 10, 2011 02:47

Max kansas City
Yeah and maybe the Gibb Brothers could be guest singers, it sounds like them

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 10, 2011 03:06

Rip This

Absolutely. The "Don't let the world pass you by" part is simply amazing (IMNSHO).

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 04:27

One of my favorites and always a great listen

Date: July 10, 2011 07:22

LOL, just because there is falsetto it gets compared to Bee Gees? That's an easy world.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 10, 2011 14:48

Yes, a fantastic side - and quite a surprise at first, when it was published. I've always loved it. Especially the the sequence of Worried about you, Tops and Heaven. Side 1 has not aged as well, all though Slave still is one of my favourites and Start me up is nice to hear when it appears on the radio.

Date: July 10, 2011 17:53

GetYerAngie
Yes, a fantastic side - and quite a surprise at first, when it was published. I've always loved it. Especially the the sequence of Worried about you, Tops and Heaven. Side 1 has not aged as well, all though Slave still is one of my favourites and Start me up is nice to hear when it appears on the radio.

I really disliked side 2, when it first came out, and much preferred side 1.

That preference has certainly changed over time. Start Me Up is still a great song, but so over done that I certainly don't play it. Hang Fire is just OK, Neighbours is a bit boring. Still love Slave, Black Limosine and Little T & A though.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 10, 2011 19:14

Considering this album is made up of songs recorded for Goats Head Soup, Black And Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue it's truly amazing that it fits so well together (Bob Clearmountain is responsible for that sound wise) and it seems that the way it works on side 1 is why side 2 works so well, with it being the more mellow or laid back songs comparatively so.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 10, 2011 22:59

DragonSky
(Bob Clearmountain is responsible for that sound wise)

Er...Chris Kimsey that is.

Mathijs

Date: July 12, 2011 05:13

Mathijs
DragonSky
(Bob Clearmountain is responsible for that sound wise)

Er...Chris Kimsey that is.

Mathijs

Kimsey was the engineer, and Clearmountain was responsible for mixing.

Where does that leave us?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:46

treaclefingers
melillo

No Use In Crying is a little weak. I don't hate it, but definitely one of their weaker bluesy tunes.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 12, 2011 08:00

LeonidP
treaclefingers
melillo

No Use In Crying is a little weak. I don't hate it, but definitely one of their weaker bluesy tunes.

Never thought of it as "bluesy."

I myself think it's a great track. Combines a little of the Brian-era romanticism with the feel of the side two songs of Faces' Ooh La La album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home