Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: News Of The World - paper that got The Stones busted - to close
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 10, 2011 03:28

71Tele
tomk
71Tele
tomk
71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk
The WSJ is the best paper in the States.

Was...

Nope, wrong.
Can you name a better one?

the globe

I can name three, but I don't want to get into another "political" argument, even though I don't think it's a political issue.

Since you say you don't want to get into another "political" argument, the three you like are probably ones you agree with in the editorials. Which is fine. But that's not what I was talking about. To each his own.

Exactly wrong. I liked the old WSJ in spite of the editorials. I think the NY Times is the best paper still going simply because they hire the best talent, have great foreign news, and cover subjects in depth. As for the Op-Ed page, I read some of their columnists, but hardly glance at the editorials. They're not perfect but they're the best paper in the business, at least in the U.S.

The best in the business? Don't make me laugh too soon as Duck Soup is on is a few minutes. Hey, if you can't trust Jason Blair, who can you trust, right?
And Paul Krugman--good gravy--is there any economist that clueless?
Anyway, we agree to disagree and let's leave it there.

Predictable response from you. In the case of Blair, the NYT condicted a thorough investigation and ran in depth reporting on what happened, as compared to Murdoch-owned papers, who print lies on the front page and then print corrections deep inside the paper when they are called out. I was reading today that Murdoch sent a memo to WSJ staffers after taking over that paper saying that they would no longer be rewarded for deep writing but for how many scoops they get. Typical of his type of "journalism".

As for Krugman, he has turned out to be right more often than not.

It seems to be you - not me - who are picking your favorite papers for ideological, rather than journalistic, reasons. Good luck with that.
nuthin..... I just like the way the multi-multi-embedded boxes look....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 10, 2011 03:36

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
tomk
71Tele
tomk
71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk
The WSJ is the best paper in the States.

Was...

Nope, wrong.
Can you name a better one?

the globe

I can name three, but I don't want to get into another "political" argument, even though I don't think it's a political issue.

Since you say you don't want to get into another "political" argument, the three you like are probably ones you agree with in the editorials. Which is fine. But that's not what I was talking about. To each his own.

Exactly wrong. I liked the old WSJ in spite of the editorials. I think the NY Times is the best paper still going simply because they hire the best talent, have great foreign news, and cover subjects in depth. As for the Op-Ed page, I read some of their columnists, but hardly glance at the editorials. They're not perfect but they're the best paper in the business, at least in the U.S.

The best in the business? Don't make me laugh too soon as Duck Soup is on is a few minutes. Hey, if you can't trust Jason Blair, who can you trust, right?
And Paul Krugman--good gravy--is there any economist that clueless?
Anyway, we agree to disagree and let's leave it there.

Predictable response from you. In the case of Blair, the NYT condicted a thorough investigation and ran in depth reporting on what happened, as compared to Murdoch-owned papers, who print lies on the front page and then print corrections deep inside the paper when they are called out. I was reading today that Murdoch sent a memo to WSJ staffers after taking over that paper saying that they would no longer be rewarded for deep writing but for how many scoops they get. Typical of his type of "journalism".

As for Krugman, he has turned out to be right more often than not.

It seems to be you - not me - who are picking your favorite papers for ideological, rather than journalistic, reasons. Good luck with that.
nuthin..... I just like the way the multi-multi-embedded boxes look....

Me too, so here's another one.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 10, 2011 03:45

I used to buy newspapers in 1985...I would get up in the morning bright and cheerful, go to my job but by 11.30 I would feel tired, tense and somewhat depressed...........in other words...like shit

Four things would occur between getting up and 11.30....Coffee, bacon sandwich, cigarette and read the paper, by a process of elimination I discovered it was the paper that was the downer..........I haven't bought one since and haven't had that.."all my energy being sucked out feeling" since either..........

I knew a Sun reader once too, (sister paper of the News of the screws) when asked if he'd go to the Falklands in 1982 to fight against Argentina he said "yes of course....I hate those Mexican bastards". Losing the NOTW is no great loss in fact it might be worth buying some shares in Comic strip mags who will now surely benefit and see their market share leap forward from taking up the slack of the 'now all at sea ex-NOTW-readership'

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-10 04:13 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 10, 2011 04:01

Murdoch - whether he be in print or TV - knows his trade well: Fear, gossip, scandal, jingoism. These things sell. Whether it's the NOTW, The NY Post (where they recently reported that DSK's accuser was a prostitute, for example), or Fox "News", how they get the story, or whether or not the story is even true is always trumped by how salacious the story is and how well it sells. The tactics of the NOTW are shocking, but they differ from Murdoch's other entities only in degree.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 10, 2011 04:21

71Tele
Murdoch - whether he be in print or TV - knows his trade well: Fear, gossip, scandal, jingoism.

The amount of fear that is broadcast & published is disgusting.

Amazing how many people are so afraid of the garbage on the news, in the news, etc.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 10, 2011 04:50

I agree with all above...Admittedly I like the early morning click to Drudge Report.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: July 10, 2011 05:33

bv
Well as long as people buy these papers there is a market of course. People don't care if the papers walk over bodies to make their stories. Ethics is what you see in the mirror.

This is brilliantly stated BV. So true. Almost everything on this planet is voted on by people and their wallets....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 10, 2011 06:11

Date: July 10, 2011 09:54

I hope they put a photo of Polythene Pam on the front page of the last edition!

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 13:12

bv
Well as long as people buy these papers there is a market of course. People don't care if the papers walk over bodies to make their stories. Ethics is what you see in the mirror.

Yep.
5 millions (!!) copies were printed for this last edition.
I'm sorry for all the trees destroyed for this last crap.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-10 13:16 by Massimo68.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 10, 2011 14:59

Massimo68
bv

Yep.
5 millions (!!) copies were printed for this last edition.
I'm sorry for all the trees destroyed for this last crap.

You bring up a great point. the proliferation of personal computers has actually increased paperwork.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 10, 2011 15:31

cue in: Elvis Costello's Waiting for the End of the World

The man from the television crawled into the train.
I wonder who he's gonna stick it in this time.
Everyone was looking for a little entertainment,
So they'll probably pull his hands off when they find out his name.
And then they shut down the power all along the line,
And we got stuck in the tunnel where no lights shine.
They got to touchin' all the girls were to scared to call out.
Nobody was saying anything at all.

We were waiting for the end of the world,
Waiting for the end of the world,
Waiting for the end of the world.
Dear Lord I sincerely hope you're coming
'Cause you really started something.

Things got back to normal as the train began to roll again.
We got to the station about twenty minutes later.
The legendary hitchhiker says that he knows where it's at.
Now he'd like to go to Spain or somewhere like that,
With his two-tone Bible and his funny cigarettes,
His suntan lotion and his castanets.

He was waiting for the end of the world,

And then the bride, the groom, the congregation and the priest
All got onto the train when we were three stations east, yeah.
Hiding from a scandal in the national press,
They had been trying to get married since they stole the wedding dress.
You may see them drowning as you stroll along the beach,
But don't throw out the lifeline till they're clean out of reach.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 10, 2011 18:41

I know in a local newsagents near me there were still plenty of NOTW on the shelf.Hope regular readers were so disgusted by the paper they didn't buy it.Wouldn't it be great if they sold less than usual when they doubled their print of the rag.Good riddance to ultra bad and disgusting rubbish.Bet Mick and Keith are laughing their pants off,knowing what these evil people who were working for the paper at the time,and the police, put them through.They were only young lads in their 20's and it must have been a difficult time . smoking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 10, 2011 19:20

I would of thought Rupert Murdoch would of retired years ago..and just take it easy

Date: July 10, 2011 20:13

open-g
cue in: Elvis Costello's Waiting for the End of the World

The man from the television crawled into the train.
I wonder who he's gonna stick it in this time.
Everyone was looking for a little entertainment,
So they'll probably pull his hands off when they find out his name.
And then they shut down the power all along the line,
And we got stuck in the tunnel where no lights shine.
They got to touchin' all the girls were to scared to call out.
Nobody was saying anything at all.

We were waiting for the end of the world,

Things got back to normal as the train began to roll again.
We got to the station about twenty minutes later.
The legendary hitchhiker says that he knows where it's at.
Now he'd like to go to Spain or somewhere like that,
With his two-tone Bible and his funny cigarettes,
His suntan lotion and his castanets.

He was waiting for the end of the world,

And then the bride, the groom, the congregation and the priest
All got onto the train when we were three stations east, yeah.
Hiding from a scandal in the national press,
They had been trying to get married since they stole the wedding dress.
You may see them drowning as you stroll along the beach,
But don't throw out the lifeline till they're clean out of reach.
Great song.thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 10, 2011 20:27

From Joe Jackson's 'Look Sharp' 1979...................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-10 20:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 10, 2011 21:32

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 10, 2011 22:03

Now journalist legend Carl Bernstein - one of the two reporters who broke the Watergate scandal - wades into the debate by likening the News of the World debacle to Watergate.

The following paragraphs are excerpts from Carl Woodward's article on the phone hacking scandal for Newsweek

'Private detectives and phone hackers do not become the primary sources of a newspaper's information without the tacit knowledge and approval of the people at the top, all the more so in the case of newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch, according to those who know him best.'

'For this reporter, it is impossible not to consider these facts through the prism of Watergate. When Bob Woodward and I came up against difficult ethical questions, such as whether to approach grand jurors for information (which we did, and perhaps shouldn't have), we sought executive editor Ben Bradlee's counsel, and he in turn called in the company lawyers, who gave the go-ahead and outlined the legal issues in full. Publisher Katharine Graham was informed. Likewise, Bradlee was aware when I obtained private telephone and credit-card records of one of the Watergate figures.'

'Then there's the other inevitable Watergate comparison. The circumstances of the alleged lawbreaking within News Corp. suggest more than a passing resemblance to Richard Nixon presiding over a criminal conspiracy in which he insulated himself from specific knowledge of numerous individual criminal acts while being himself responsible for and authorizing general policies that routinely resulted in lawbreaking and unconstitutional conduct. Not to mention his role in the cover-up. It will remain for British authorities and, presumably, disgusted and/or legally squeezed News Corp. executives and editors to reveal exactly where the rot came from at News of the World, and whether Rupert Murdoch enabled, approved, or opposed the obvious corruption that infected his underlings.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 10, 2011 22:46

I read the news today oh boy.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: July 11, 2011 22:43

Twenty years ago Robert Maxwell also a press magnate drowned - or was killed or killed himself. Could someone please send this info to Rupert Murdoch (and maybe to Berlusconi too) ...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 11, 2011 23:21

colonial
I would of thought Rupert Murdoch would of retired years ago..and just take it easy

No rest for the wicked, baby.

While I'm enjoying reading the British papers (esp. The Guardian) licking their chops at Murdoch's imminent fall, I think they're being way too optimistic. I don't think he will just slink away, he's far too powerful for that.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home