Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: News Of The World - paper that got The Stones busted - to close
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 7, 2011 22:54

This time next year it'll be 4 days short of the biggest news of the world The Rolling Stones 50th..smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:05

tomk
The WSJ is the best paper in the States.

Was...

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:37

bad to know guys. a lot of people without job.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:49

71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.
Can you name a better one?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2011 00:04

tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: July 8, 2011 00:06

tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE Always was, always is........

Date: July 8, 2011 00:12

CrissCrossMind
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE Always was, always is........

I said the States. The IHT is based out of France. It's now pretty much run by the NYT.

Date: July 8, 2011 00:17

treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

I can name three, but I don't want to get into another "political" argument, even though I don't think it's a political issue.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2011 00:22

as Jeroen might say...

byeeeeeeee!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:58

Pure, evil, genius:

[www.theatlanticwire.com]

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: July 8, 2011 05:14

Finally Murdoch's empire of lies and infotainment is taking a hit.

I hope this brings down Faux News too.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: July 8, 2011 14:05

In case you don't know: Murdoch also sold Myspace for almost nothing after having bought it some time ago for half a billion dollars ...

Maybe "he's lost his touch" and Faux Nws will go down the drain with him ...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 8, 2011 14:33

Did yer see Rupert Murdoch being hounded by the press in Idaho.He realy hated it and got ratty.Him and his snidey son James are two of a kind.Great to see them get their come uppance at last.That Rebekeh Snottynose who was editor at the time of the hacking and a horse riding pal of our Prime Minister will also get her arse kicked into touch well and truly I hope.Evil lot of b*****ds I reckon'. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 8, 2011 16:30

The NY Times is easily the worst right now and hopefully will be closing...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 8, 2011 16:52

Massimo68
So sorry...it was a great album...

Is the robot supposed to be Murdoch?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:33

No more News Of The World ? Brilliant ! I hope other tabloid rags go the same way ... the the Sun, Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Daily Mail !! Shite papers they are ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:45

I did'nt realise the News of the World was 168 years old..its certainly got alot of history behind it just like everything else in Great Britain..smoking smiley

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 8, 2011 23:54

Pretty crazy stuff which is going to take down at several bribed cops, the PM's former communications chief, reporters/hackers, and unfortunately as mentioned upthread, a whole host of innocent NOTW workers soon to be without jobs. Arrests started this morning.

"Cameron said press self-regulation had failed and a new body, independent of the media and the government, was needed to properly enforce standards.

"The scandal exploded this week after it was reported that the News of the World had hacked the mobile phone of 13-year-old murder victim Milly Dowler in 2002 while her family and police were desperately searching for her. News of the World operatives reportedly deleted some messages from the phone's voicemail, giving the girl's parents false hope that she was still alive.

"The British government on June 30 already gave its qualified approval allowing News Corp. to purchase the 61% of British Sky Broadcasting that it doesn't already own, on the condition it spins off Sky News as a separate company."

Wow. Can we ever return all of our news outlets globally back to their original purpose of keeping the citizenry well informed instead of selectively misinformed and 'amused to death'? That bit about Dowler and her family was heart-wrenching, and took needed resources away from murders in progress. Crazy.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: July 9, 2011 05:30

One of the revelations I find most astonishing from this scandal is how much control a foreign businessman has had over British politicians, all the way up to the prime minister. Kind of scarey.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: July 9, 2011 06:30

71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

I can name three, but I don't want to get into another "political" argument, even though I don't think it's a political issue.

Since you say you don't want to get into another "political" argument, the three you like are probably ones you agree with in the editorials. Which is fine. But that's not what I was talking about. To each his own.

Date: July 9, 2011 08:36

mickscarey

That's funny, they've always said such nice things about you...

Date: July 9, 2011 08:39

tomk
71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

Since you say you don't want to get into another "political" argument, the three you like are probably ones you agree with in the editorials. Which is fine. But that's not what I was talking about. To each his own.

Exactly wrong. I liked the old WSJ in spite of the editorials. I think the NY Times is the best paper still going simply because they hire the best talent, have great foreign news, and cover subjects in depth. As for the Op-Ed page, I read some of their columnists, but hardly glance at the editorials. They're not perfect but they're the best paper in the business, at least in the U.S.

Date: July 9, 2011 10:54

71Tele
tomk
71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

Exactly wrong. I liked the old WSJ in spite of the editorials. I think the NY Times is the best paper still going simply because they hire the best talent, have great foreign news, and cover subjects in depth. As for the Op-Ed page, I read some of their columnists, but hardly glance at the editorials. They're not perfect but they're the best paper in the business, at least in the U.S.

The best in the business? Don't make me laugh too soon as Duck Soup is on is a few minutes. Hey, if you can't trust Jason Blair, who can you trust, right?
And Paul Krugman--good gravy--is there any economist that clueless?
Anyway, we agree to disagree and let's leave it there.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 9, 2011 20:07

Well as long as people buy these papers there is a market of course. People don't care if the papers walk over bodies to make their stories. Ethics is what you see in the mirror.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 9, 2011 20:57

bv
Well as long as people buy these papers there is a market of course. People don't care if the papers walk over bodies to make their stories. Ethics is what you see in the mirror.

I agree that marketing is based on demand. Of course, the publishers crossed the line. However, the fallout cannot compromise journalism itself. We all have choices in life regardless if it's cigs, cocaine, prostitution, CNN, Fox News, etc.... The last thing we need on planet earth is more gov't control or others thinking for ourselves. News is important to our existence, and like you said - it should be up to us what is viable.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 9, 2011 21:28

The problem comes when a newspaper that appoints itself as moral guardian to society then acts as if it is above the law as was the case with the News Of The World.

The Stones felt the full force of when the paper worked with Scotland Yard detectives to get the band busted and in doing so claimed an exclusive in ridding society of 'evil drug takers'.

Among allegations against the paper right now is that they paid police off for valuable information that would get them the all important front page exclusive.

Do we really need such a paper? I think not. It's a fine line between overstepping the mark of bringing to justice those who harm society and then prying into the private lives of the rich and famous to highlight what they are up to.

I think if there is a question of journalistic wrong doing that generally harms society - like corrupt political or police practices then let's hear about it. Otherwise, if a film star is caught screwing around - should we really care a damn?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-09 23:14 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: tonym ()
Date: July 9, 2011 22:27

Like The Stones and their publicity machine have never used any of these tabloid papers for their own commercial benefit. See today's Daily Mail Weekend magazine. Ronnie on the front page and a huge interview under the banner "I Love Being Sober."

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 10, 2011 01:29

71Tele
mickscarey

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.HAHAHAHAHahahahahahahhaah

Date: July 10, 2011 03:26

tomk
71Tele
tomk
71Tele
treaclefingers
tomk
71Tele
tomk

Was...

Nope, wrong.

the globe

The best in the business? Don't make me laugh too soon as Duck Soup is on is a few minutes. Hey, if you can't trust Jason Blair, who can you trust, right?
And Paul Krugman--good gravy--is there any economist that clueless?
Anyway, we agree to disagree and let's leave it there.

Predictable response from you. In the case of Blair, the NYT condicted a thorough investigation and ran in depth reporting on what happened, as compared to Murdoch-owned papers, who print lies on the front page and then print corrections deep inside the paper when they are called out. I was reading today that Murdoch sent a memo to WSJ staffers after taking over that paper saying that they would no longer be rewarded for deep writing but for how many scoops they get. Typical of his type of "journalism".

As for Krugman, he has turned out to be right more often than not.

It seems to be you - not me - who are picking your favorite papers for ideological, rather than journalistic, reasons. Good luck with that.

Date: July 10, 2011 03:27

mickscarey
71Tele
mickscarey

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.HAHAHAHAHahahahahahahhaah

Not as funny as your idiotic posts, unfortunately.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home