Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: JAGGER: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue - the book
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 6, 2011 20:37

keiths main contribution on bridges to babylon was a 10 minute snoozfest called how can i stop.it left me thinking,i dont know but i wish you would.

talking to journalists about how much you love the blues and rock and roll doesnt mean a whole lot.his songs have been these boring,sleepy ballads for years now.grandpa tying a do-rag around his bald head and putting charms in his hair just makes him look bizarre.hes no more rock and roll and no more into the blues than mick.

if it wasnt for jagger every stones album would be a sad parody of exile played with less and less skill.thank god he at least tried to take it somewhere even with the increasingly limited skills of his guitar players.

Date: July 6, 2011 21:08

The thread has wandered off to Keith.
Maybe we should ask what is a rebel? Someone who rejects authority? A mutineer against the powers that be? Someone who refutes any allegiance?
I have to say that in the early years there is no doubt Jagger was a rebel. And I come back to the fact that before anything had happened, before there were any Rolling Stones - Jagger was actively pursuing the Blues. Against the grain; going with his blood.
I guess it's the latter years that make some doubt Jagger's rebel status.
How does a rebel end up then? What does a rebel eventually end up doing? If he has rebelled enough, and ...won? I mean, Jagger basically won.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 6, 2011 22:43

Yet another Mick book.....
I never expect anything but a retread of everything that's already been published. We all know that those closest to him would never talk to a journalist.....so its all just speculation, skimming the surface of his public persona.
Its kind of frustrating because Jagger is a fascinating and somewhat mysterious individual....but that's because of his evasiveness...
Ill wait for the excerpts....and expect to be unimpressed.

Date: July 6, 2011 22:53

I have to confess that I just skimmed the link to the article.......after reading it, I must say it looks slightly more promising than your garden-variety celeb hack, ala Christopher ANderson.....
So we'll see....
I've always wanted a more serious take on Jagger, something that got lost in the 80s and 90s.....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 6, 2011 23:55

This thread was not to bash Keith. It's about a new Jagger book.

I've read Keith is an idiot and every song now is a grandpa ballad. Go back on topic please.

If Keith is an idiot send me the prescription!! I'd like to be a millionaire rock star with a gorgeous wife, a member of the rock and roll hall of fame, a member of the song writer's hall of fame and a musician that has a lot of respect from his peers.

Had to make a point. If you like the Stones you really have to like both Glimmer Twins!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:01

slew
If Keith is an idiot send me the prescription!!
Keith has demonstrated his idiocy many times over the years. Showing people the blade, showing people the gun, nearly killing himself numerous times, shooting Mick's guitar and throwing parrots out of windows.

Had to make a point. If you like the Stones you really have to like both Glimmer Twins!

I do like some of them.

There are so many Mick Jaggers though (ask Charlie).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 00:01 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:05

Show him the blade is kind of funny actually. It fits his image. Did he ever really show anyone the blade though? I mean really he is a skinny little runt that most people if he showed them the blade they'd disarm him and kick his arse if he was not Keith Richards!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 7, 2011 06:12

"If he was not Keith Richards"...Well, exactly, he is. So yeah, I believe he did all that blade-showing pirate shit he tells in his book.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 7, 2011 06:54

Palace Revolution 2000
The thread has wandered off to Keith.
Maybe we should ask what is a rebel? Someone who rejects authority? A mutineer against the powers that be? Someone who refutes any allegiance?
I have to say that in the early years there is no doubt Jagger was a rebel. And I come back to the fact that before anything had happened, before there were any Rolling Stones - Jagger was actively pursuing the Blues. Against the grain; going with his blood.
I guess it's the latter years that make some doubt Jagger's rebel status.
How does a rebel end up then? What does a rebel eventually end up doing? If he has rebelled enough, and ...won? I mean, Jagger basically won.[/[/b]quote]
you @#$%& nailed it. he was a rebel, and was part of the change. he did his bit, and shouldn't be expected to be a rebel in his late 60's.

Date: July 7, 2011 06:56

slew
Show him the blade is kind of funny actually. It fits his image. Did he ever really show anyone the blade though? I mean really he is a skinny little runt that most people if he showed them the blade they'd disarm him and kick his arse if he was not Keith Richards!

I'd say he was overdue for that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2011 07:12

kowalski
[www.mickjaggerbiography.com]

"The best of Jagger playlist"

Jagger: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue is a look at Mick Jagger as you have never seen him before. From bluesy teenager to hardened legendary rocker, Jagger explores the highs and lows of over 50 years of rock n’ roll (with a little glam rock, punk rock, soul music and cocktail party mixed in). Combine with author Marc Spitz’s “Best of Jagger” playlist and you will find yourself on the Mick side of the Glimmer Twins.

1. “Down the Road Apiece” (1965)
A great example of Mick’s improbably credible interpretation (and with his own Cockney affects, hybridization) of the African American vocal style. In less than two minutes, The Rolling Stones version of Amos Milburn’s boogie woogie party starter, made it forever-okay for scrawny white boys to sing lustily about chicken cooked in bacon grease.

2. “As Tears Go By” (1965)
In ’64, Mick and Keith were reluctant to bring this “girly” ballad to the other Rolling Stones and gave it to Marianne Faithfull instead. By ’65, pop seemed to require emotional sophistication and baroque melancholy overnight and Mick bravely manned up to his female side. This is the bridge song, allowing the Stones to compete with the Beatles, Dylan and the Kinks.

3. “Memo From Turner” (1970)
Memo to Turner: keep it in your pants. Why doesn’t Keith Richards appear on what might have been the Rolling Stones’ contribution to the soundtrack for Mick’s film debut, the perverse and still brilliant British gangster film Performance? As they say on Facebook, it’s complicated. Co-star Anita Pallenberg, provocateur director Donald Cammell, enough drug casualties to fully stock a Victorian loony bin all contribute to the first and still un-mended rift between Mick and Keith. But at least we have this gem with Ry Cooder’s sinister guitar and disturbing, cut and paste lyrics indebted to William S. Burroughs. Great on its own but definitely check out the video.

4. “You’re So Vain” (1972)
He comes in on the second verse, just after the guitar solo. He’s not credited, but it was impossible to hear Carly Simon’s number one single and not know who the mystery man was. Maybe the song is about Warren Beatty, maybe it’s about Kris Kristofferson or James Taylor. But the singing… is all about Mick Jagger. The hands down highlight of the Stones early to mid 70s “flakey” period (thanks Lester Bangs).

5. “(You’ve Gotta Walk) Don’t Look Back” (1979)
What do you do when the punks call you a ponce dinosaur and put you on their villians list? You make an album full of stonking, two and a half minute songs about heroin and hustling, and for insurance, you align yourself with the Stepping Razor himself, the Toughest of the Tough, Mr. Peter Tosh; who got crazy respect from even the most vicious of punk rockers. Mick did both and somehow survived the rampant iconoclasm. This reggae-fied version of the Temptations classic is cynical synergy, or if you prefer, image damage control and a little kitschy but the sheer star power of the two makes it a must.

6. “State of Shock” (1984)
At the time Michael Jackson could have guzzled a liter of Pepsi and belched the alphabet and it would have moved vinyl. A song from his teenage years “Farewell My Summer Love” was a top 10 hit. He’d sung the hook on Rockwell’s “Somebody’s Watching Me’ (later immortalized in a Geico insurance commercial) and the track went to number 2. This, however, was the best of the post-Thriller cash in singles; a sexed up Stonesy-riff stunt cast with a real Stone. Mick replaced Freddie Mercury (no small feat) and made the track his own.

7. “Evil” (1993)
Over a year before Rick Rubin patented his stripped down/return to form approach with Johnny Cash and later, Neil Diamond, he paired Mick with Hollywood bar band The Red Devils for a never-released album full of Mick’s favorite blues songs, like this Howling Wolf classic. Evil is goin’ on!

8. “Streets of Berlin” (1997)
During the opening scene of the brutal and homoerotic, Holocaust-set 1997 indie film Bent, Mick croons this cabaret ballad in Dietrich drag, while swinging on an oversized parakeet perch, out decadence-ing and out-Berlin-ing his old cohort David Bowie in one fell (and actual) swoop.

9. “Sweet Neo Con” (2005)
In ’68, Mick marched with the students in protest of the Vietnam War and wrote “Street Fighting Man” in the offing. A decade on, with Thatcher in power, many assumed he’d long made peace with the establishment. Which is why this, easily the most explicit and angry protest song of the Iraq War era, shocked many fans. Hypocritical Christians, Halliburton and W. and Cheney get the gimlet eye.

10. “Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren)” (2010)
Senior citizen revisits undisputed 40 year old masterpiece, armed with digital technology, under pressure to stimulate catalog and somehow does not suck. One marvel of the new Exile on Main Street tracks (this the War-indebted, funky highlight) is that they did nothing to sully the legacy. The other = makes you wanna dance.

This list is a joke. First of all, the throwaway track "Pass The Wine" instead of the brilliant "Plundered My Soul"? And "You're So vain" was the Stones highlight of the early to mid 70s? And for fucksakes SWEET NEO CON? It may be explicit and angry, but that doesn't make it a good song.

Date: July 7, 2011 07:15

"Keith has demonstrated his idiocy many times over the years. Showing people the blade, showing people the gun, nearly killing himself numerous times, shooting Mick's guitar and throwing parrots out of windows."

What about killing a librarian's orchid with second-hand cigarette smoke, then putting his ciggy out in the flowerpot? He's now gone too far!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 07:15 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 7, 2011 13:01

71Tele
What about killing a librarian's orchid with second-hand cigarette smoke, then putting his ciggy out in the flowerpot? He's now gone too far!

LOL, good one.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 7, 2011 18:57

what a great thread!!
effen mick!
double effen keith!
freaken effen rolling stones!
everything they do is wrong!!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: July 7, 2011 19:20

mick isn't a rebel anymore. and keith isn't a "hell raiser" anymore (was he ever?), despite the fact that journalists keep calling him that. nor are they "bad boys". anyone who thinks they are those things still are drinking the kool-aid, in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 19:20 by ineedadrink.

Date: July 8, 2011 07:28

71Tele

This list is a joke. First of all, the throwaway track "Pass The Wine" instead of the brilliant "Plundered My Soul"? And "You're So vain" was the Stones highlight of the early to mid 70s? And for fucksakes SWEET NEO CON? It may be explicit and angry, but that doesn't make it a good song.

Yeah, this list deflates the author's credibility slightly.
I love some of these songs, "Memo From Turner etc.., but no Exile, no Some Girls, virtually nothing between 70-82 except "State of Shock"?
We're in for another babble of a book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 07:28 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:06

The list from Mr. Spitz sure looks a bit strange - no warhorses included - but on the other hand that makes one curious too. According too the costummerreviews at amazon.co.uk his book on Bowie was just the usual mix of previous biographies though.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:17

There is another list on Amazon.com. I think he wanted to be creative on the first onewinking smiley
[www.amazon.com]

Here are Spitz's 10 favorite Jagger vocal performances (in order).

1. "That’s How Strong My Love Is" (1965)
Anyone who says the dude has no soul needs to dig this one out. You can’t fake blood and Mick’s broken heart bleeds all over the track. While you can’t beat Otis Redding’s version from the same year, Mick and the Stones come very close.

2. "Moonlight Mile" (1971)
Simply the greatest comedown record of all time, as if the someone finally turned the light on at long and perilous 60s cocktail party and everyone started to shiver and scheme at once. Keith is famously absent but Micks Jagger and Taylor craft an inimitable mood full of dread, resolve and unmatched beauty.

3. "Emotional Rescue" (1980)
More a new wave disco suite than anything else, the title track of the Stones’ seventeenth (!) album features three great Mick vocals: a cartoon mouse falsetto, a gleefully smarmy drawl and finally, a stentorian, spoken vow to cross the desert on Arabian horseback and somehow end up at Studio 54 before last call.

4. "Shattered" (1978)
Three words: "Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta."

5. "The Spider and the Fly" (1965)
Who else can infuse a lyric like: "Down to the bar at the place I’m at..." with Hitchcock-ian suspense and sexy mischief? Something amoral is about to happen. Less an ode to the famous Mary Howitt poem and more a warning (that none of his women seemed to heed) that a spider will be a spider.

6. "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction" (1965)
So overplayed it’s underplayed. You don’t listen to it as much as you should because you think you know it, but have another (loud) date with it and be reminded (as last season’s Mad Men demonstrated) why it’s the greatest rock and roll recording of all time.

7. "Lady Jane" (1967)
Quietly elegant, terribly English, with the late, great Brian Jones’ lacework dulcimer and Mick’s least camp (or perhaps most) vocals ever.

8. "Ventilator Blues" (1972)
Slathered with echo and heavier than metal, this is one of the few places on record where Mick sounds like he might be able to kick your ass without a security team. Exile on Main Street purists can’t really abide including this without a nod to it’s segue song, the gospel great, "I Just Wanna See His Face."

9. "Too Much Blood" (1983)
Featuring Mick’s cockney "rap" (this was after all, the era when every respectable British rock god from Joe Strummer to Adam Ant, Captain Sensible and Malcolm McLaren released a rap record) about a Japanese pal who ate his Parisian girlfriend and buried her bones in the Bois de Boulogne. Not the greatest protest song ever written, but, musically, at least, certainly the Rolling Stones greatest (and only) Duran Duran homage.

10. "Country Honk" (1969)
Rock’s greatest mimic can turn on a Jamaican patois (see 1976’s "Hot Stuff" ) and, most consistently an African American blues baritone (see every Rolling Stones record up to Aftermath), but he seems to get the most pleasure from channeling the hard r’s and elongated vowels of our country "sang-errrs." The more famous single version (with more cowbell to boot) contains a straight forward rock vocal but this album track (off Let It Bleed) is more fun than a jar full of spit.

Date: July 9, 2011 00:57

stupidguy2
71Tele

Yeah, this list deflates the author's credibility slightly.
I love some of these songs, "Memo From Turner etc.., but no Exile, no Some Girls, virtually nothing between 70-82 except "State of Shock"?
We're in for another babble of a book.[/[/b]quote]

It would seem so...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2011 02:48

GravityBoy
"I don't want to step out onstage with someone wearing a coronet and sporting the old ermine," Richards told British music magazine "Uncut" in an expletive-rich interview.

"I told Mick it's a paltry honor...It's not what the Stones is about, is it?"

as if Mick was ever going to wear that onstage. One of a long line of utterly meaningless quotes just for the sake of a bit of publicity.

And what ARE the Stones 'about', Keith? Private shows for bankers? Ciphoning off already overpriced tickets to brokers to sell on for four figure sums? Licensing your songs for use in daytime soap operas? Disney films?

The fact that anyone still takes this 'rebel' nonsense at face value in the 21st century is laughable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-09 03:00 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2011 02:53

kowalski
[www.mickjaggerbiography.com]

"The best of Jagger playlist"

Jagger: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue is a look at Mick Jagger as you have never seen him before. From bluesy teenager to hardened legendary rocker, Jagger explores the highs and lows of over 50 years of rock n’ roll (with a little glam rock, punk rock, soul music and cocktail party mixed in). Combine with author Marc Spitz’s “Best of Jagger” playlist and you will find yourself on the Mick side of the Glimmer Twins.

1. “Down the Road Apiece” (1965)
A great example of Mick’s improbably credible interpretation (and with his own Cockney affects, hybridization) of the African American vocal style. In less than two minutes, The Rolling Stones version of Amos Milburn’s boogie woogie party starter, made it forever-okay for scrawny white boys to sing lustily about chicken cooked in bacon grease.

2. “As Tears Go By” (1965)
In ’64, Mick and Keith were reluctant to bring this “girly” ballad to the other Rolling Stones and gave it to Marianne Faithfull instead. By ’65, pop seemed to require emotional sophistication and baroque melancholy overnight and Mick bravely manned up to his female side. This is the bridge song, allowing the Stones to compete with the Beatles, Dylan and the Kinks.

3. “Memo From Turner” (1970)
Memo to Turner: keep it in your pants. Why doesn’t Keith Richards appear on what might have been the Rolling Stones’ contribution to the soundtrack for Mick’s film debut, the perverse and still brilliant British gangster film Performance? As they say on Facebook, it’s complicated. Co-star Anita Pallenberg, provocateur director Donald Cammell, enough drug casualties to fully stock a Victorian loony bin all contribute to the first and still un-mended rift between Mick and Keith. But at least we have this gem with Ry Cooder’s sinister guitar and disturbing, cut and paste lyrics indebted to William S. Burroughs. Great on its own but definitely check out the video.

4. “You’re So Vain” (1972)
He comes in on the second verse, just after the guitar solo. He’s not credited, but it was impossible to hear Carly Simon’s number one single and not know who the mystery man was. Maybe the song is about Warren Beatty, maybe it’s about Kris Kristofferson or James Taylor. But the singing… is all about Mick Jagger. The hands down highlight of the Stones early to mid 70s “flakey” period (thanks Lester Bangs).

5. “(You’ve Gotta Walk) Don’t Look Back” (1979)
What do you do when the punks call you a ponce dinosaur and put you on their villians list? You make an album full of stonking, two and a half minute songs about heroin and hustling, and for insurance, you align yourself with the Stepping Razor himself, the Toughest of the Tough, Mr. Peter Tosh; who got crazy respect from even the most vicious of punk rockers. Mick did both and somehow survived the rampant iconoclasm. This reggae-fied version of the Temptations classic is cynical synergy, or if you prefer, image damage control and a little kitschy but the sheer star power of the two makes it a must.

6. “State of Shock” (1984)
At the time Michael Jackson could have guzzled a liter of Pepsi and belched the alphabet and it would have moved vinyl. A song from his teenage years “Farewell My Summer Love” was a top 10 hit. He’d sung the hook on Rockwell’s “Somebody’s Watching Me’ (later immortalized in a Geico insurance commercial) and the track went to number 2. This, however, was the best of the post-Thriller cash in singles; a sexed up Stonesy-riff stunt cast with a real Stone. Mick replaced Freddie Mercury (no small feat) and made the track his own.

7. “Evil” (1993)
Over a year before Rick Rubin patented his stripped down/return to form approach with Johnny Cash and later, Neil Diamond, he paired Mick with Hollywood bar band The Red Devils for a never-released album full of Mick’s favorite blues songs, like this Howling Wolf classic. Evil is goin’ on!

8. “Streets of Berlin” (1997)
During the opening scene of the brutal and homoerotic, Holocaust-set 1997 indie film Bent, Mick croons this cabaret ballad in Dietrich drag, while swinging on an oversized parakeet perch, out decadence-ing and out-Berlin-ing his old cohort David Bowie in one fell (and actual) swoop.

9. “Sweet Neo Con” (2005)
In ’68, Mick marched with the students in protest of the Vietnam War and wrote “Street Fighting Man” in the offing. A decade on, with Thatcher in power, many assumed he’d long made peace with the establishment. Which is why this, easily the most explicit and angry protest song of the Iraq War era, shocked many fans. Hypocritical Christians, Halliburton and W. and Cheney get the gimlet eye.

10. “Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren)” (2010)
Senior citizen revisits undisputed 40 year old masterpiece, armed with digital technology, under pressure to stimulate catalog and somehow does not suck. One marvel of the new Exile on Main Street tracks (this the War-indebted, funky highlight) is that they did nothing to sully the legacy. The other = makes you wanna dance.

This guy expects to be taken seriously with a list that has 'State of shock', 'Streets of Berlin' and the crud that is 'Sweet neocon' (which Mick believed in so much that he bottled out of performing it) listed amongst Jagger's 'best' ?

The most angry song of the Iraq war era is a song with lyrics that read like the rantings of a 14 year old with Tourettes? Really? How much music has this guy listened to?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-09 03:02 by Gazza.

Date: July 9, 2011 08:44

proudmary
There is another list on Amazon.com. I think he wanted to be creative on the first onewinking smiley
[www.amazon.com]

Here are Spitz's 10 favorite Jagger vocal performances (in order).

1. "That’s How Strong My Love Is" (1965)
Anyone who says the dude has no soul needs to dig this one out. You can’t fake blood and Mick’s broken heart bleeds all over the track. While you can’t beat Otis Redding’s version from the same year, Mick and the Stones come very close.

2. "Moonlight Mile" (1971)
Simply the greatest comedown record of all time, as if the someone finally turned the light on at long and perilous 60s cocktail party and everyone started to shiver and scheme at once. Keith is famously absent but Micks Jagger and Taylor craft an inimitable mood full of dread, resolve and unmatched beauty.

3. "Emotional Rescue" (1980)
More a new wave disco suite than anything else, the title track of the Stones’ seventeenth (!) album features three great Mick vocals: a cartoon mouse falsetto, a gleefully smarmy drawl and finally, a stentorian, spoken vow to cross the desert on Arabian horseback and somehow end up at Studio 54 before last call.

4. "Shattered" (1978)
Three words: "Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta."

5. "The Spider and the Fly" (1965)
Who else can infuse a lyric like: "Down to the bar at the place I’m at..." with Hitchcock-ian suspense and sexy mischief? Something amoral is about to happen. Less an ode to the famous Mary Howitt poem and more a warning (that none of his women seemed to heed) that a spider will be a spider.

6. "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction" (1965)
So overplayed it’s underplayed. You don’t listen to it as much as you should because you think you know it, but have another (loud) date with it and be reminded (as last season’s Mad Men demonstrated) why it’s the greatest rock and roll recording of all time.

7. "Lady Jane" (1967)
Quietly elegant, terribly English, with the late, great Brian Jones’ lacework dulcimer and Mick’s least camp (or perhaps most) vocals ever.

8. "Ventilator Blues" (1972)
Slathered with echo and heavier than metal, this is one of the few places on record where Mick sounds like he might be able to kick your ass without a security team. Exile on Main Street purists can’t really abide including this without a nod to it’s segue song, the gospel great, "I Just Wanna See His Face."

9. "Too Much Blood" (1983)
Featuring Mick’s cockney "rap" (this was after all, the era when every respectable British rock god from Joe Strummer to Adam Ant, Captain Sensible and Malcolm McLaren released a rap record) about a Japanese pal who ate his Parisian girlfriend and buried her bones in the Bois de Boulogne. Not the greatest protest song ever written, but, musically, at least, certainly the Rolling Stones greatest (and only) Duran Duran homage.

10. "Country Honk" (1969)
Rock’s greatest mimic can turn on a Jamaican patois (see 1976’s "Hot Stuff" ) and, most consistently an African American blues baritone (see every Rolling Stones record up to Aftermath), but he seems to get the most pleasure from channeling the hard r’s and elongated vowels of our country "sang-errrs." The more famous single version (with more cowbell to boot) contains a straight forward rock vocal but this album track (off Let It Bleed) is more fun than a jar full of spit.

This is better than the other list, but who can make a list of best Jagger vocal moments and leave off both "Let It Loose" and "Loving Cup"?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 9, 2011 09:37

song picks aside, the guy can, in my opinion, write - he's funny, his references are sharp - and he's enjoying himself. This might be a fun read.

Date: July 11, 2011 19:01

Marc Spitz interviews Robert Greenfield

Marc Spitz interviews Robert Greenfield, Rolling Stone reporter and the author of S.T.P. – A Journey Through America With the Rolling Stones which chronicles their legendary 1972 tour of North America. Greenfield was also at the mythical Villa Nellcote in the South of France when the Stones were recording Exile On Main Street. Here, he discusses the different kind of America that greeted the Stones for their first live performances of the 1970s (and the first since Altamont), and how they attracted celebrities and great artists like Andy Warhol and Truman Capote to the shows.

Listen the audio [www.mickjaggerbiography.com]

Date: July 11, 2011 22:25

hbwriter
song picks aside, the guy can, in my opinion, write - he's funny, his references are sharp - and he's enjoying himself. This might be a fun read.

I trust your judgement and that gives me hope. What can you tell us about Sptiz?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 11, 2011 23:58

He's a prolific bugger anyway: written bios on Bowie and Green Day & a few novels as well.

I'm still pondering his description of Jagger as "middle class." By American standards, sure, but usually when British people use that term they're referring to people we (Americans) would consider Quite Well Off, even Wealthy. That's been my observation, I could be wrong. Jagger's papa taught physical education, didn't he? I doubt they were rolling in dough.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 14, 2011 03:54

Excerpt available for free here : [www.mickjaggerbiography.com]

Date: July 14, 2011 06:04

Interesting excerpt. I reads less like a "biography" than an analysis.....
I think that's the better idea. Authors who try and delve into the tabloid stuff, his relationships with his women etc.,...always come off as just more retread gossipers....nothing you don't already know from reading the british rags,...or any of the books aready written.
I'd like to read a real analysis of Jagger as an artist and icon ....because that's really the only honest book you could write about someone so enigmatic. No one knows about Jagger's life...because he never reveals anything, except in his music, as an artist...when he's good. We only know from other books, or what Marianne or Jerry Hall and other exes have dished. But there is no real sense of who he is or his motivations..just what he did etc,,,....because he remains the most private rock star ever.
And I like that, so I hope Sptiz' book just looks at Jagger from the POV of a cultural observer. Another salacious book about his personal life would be just more of the same guessing unless Spitz was able to talk to people in Jagger's life willing to dish....and I doubt that. they wouldn't be his friends....
Those mentioned as "sources" are legitimate aquaintances, just providing their impressions...
I want to see Jagger vindicated as a serious artist and fascinating personality.
I might like this, if SPitz uses an objective eye.
I can always hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-14 06:08 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2011 12:24

"Keith was right"
So Keith's the true rebel? With his fascination for ex-convicts that makes him not more sensible than a 12 y.o. boy?

If Keith was a true rebel he would have told Loewenstein "hey man stop playing your tax-escape tricks with my money. I wanna pay full taxes of 'em" (instead of the alleged and outrageous 2% the Stones have paid since the early 70's).

Mick the sell-out and keith the rebel? Nah that's pretty naive. Did Keith ever wonder by which dark channels his money was filtered through? The same ones the BIG corporations use for their won tax-escape plans.

How rebellious is that Keith? I find Mick more bearable as the CEO of the 'Stones Inc."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-14 12:32 by dcba.

Date: July 14, 2011 19:51

Mark Spitz interviews Steve Binder, the Director of the legendary T.A.M.I. Show

on JULY 14, 2011 by MARC SPITZ

Steve Binder was the Director of the legendary T.A.M.I. Show filmed at the Santa Monica Civic Center in the fall of 1964, where the Rolling Stones were given the headlining slot over the great James Brown and had to yet again address issues of race and privilege, handling it all with a grace beyond their years. Here Binder discusses the concept for the event, the two milestone performances (among many wonderful others by The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Chuck Berry and Gerry and the Pacemakers). After being unavailable for many years, the T.A.M.I. Show is now available on DVD and is a must-see for any rock and roll fan.

Listen [www.mickjaggerbiography.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home