Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Any other Doctor Who fans on IORR?
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: October 3, 2015 07:13

I've been a huge Doctor Who fan since 2012, and I was wondering, just for fun, if anyone else likes the show.

Re: OT- Any other Doctor Who fans on IORR?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 3, 2015 07:50

Yes

Date: October 3, 2015 08:06

BluzDude
Yes
thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 3, 2015 09:08

Since 1963.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 3, 2015 09:22

I'm a doctor, and I'm a Who fan. Does that count?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 3, 2015 09:28

I know about the show but I've never watched it. I believe Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones is going to be on it?

Date: October 3, 2015 09:37

Green Lady
Since 1963.

Alright!! That's awesome! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-03 09:38 by stones2000.

Date: October 3, 2015 09:38

franzk
I'm a doctor, and I'm a Who fan. Does that count?

Close enough spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 3, 2015 09:38

DGA35
I know about the show but I've never watched it. I believe Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones is going to be on it?

That's right, later on this season

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2015 13:30

I watch it sometimes.
I'm expecting them to get the Doctor into a Sherlock episode, and/or vice versa.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 3, 2015 13:50

Yes.

I can tell you who I'm a fan of:

1) Dr Who - Jon Pertwee
2) Dr Who - Tom Baker
3) Dr Who - Sylvester McCoy
4) Dr Who - Christopher Ecclestone
5) Dr Who - David Tennant
6) Dr Who - Peter Capaldi

Favourite companion: Sarah-Jane Smith
Favourite villain: The Master - Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt, John Simm, and Michelle Gomez versions.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 3, 2015 13:55

stones2000
I've been a huge Doctor Who fan since 2012, and I was wondering, just for fun, if anyone else likes the show.

since 1963. God I'm old.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2015 14:01

tomcasagranda
Yes.
1) Dr Who - Jon Pertwee
2) Dr Who - Tom Baker

Well if we're naming names, I'll stand up fondly for Matt Smith.

Date: October 3, 2015 14:11

I can name names, and say that I'm not a fan of Matt Smith as the Dr - he appealed too much to the teenage element.

I was an early teenager when Peter Davison was the Dr, and he was horrendous; too wet and drippy, and not in the same league as Tom Baker. Colin Baker was horrendous, pompous, and over-acted. He was the embodiment of the 80s, and how it afflicted even a TV show. There was no nuance to his performance, and when you consider how a brilliant series such as the Tom Baker era City of Death was made in 1979, yet 6/7 years later John Nathan Turner, the producer, inflicted us with The Twin Dilemma, and Timelash.

I always think 80s Dr Who was similar to 80s era Stones, Dylan, and McCartney, i.e floundering, looking for direction, creating the odd gem, but otherwise a morass.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 3, 2015 15:51

Since the seventies.

Think tennant was the best one and loved Billy piper.

Still got to watch the new episodes, but can't get into this new doctor at the moment.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 3, 2015 16:29

Our first doctor was Baker and I like Capaldi's take. Gomez as Missy just keeps getting better, she stole the first episode for this season. There have been rumors that the series would like to include, among others, The Stones in an episode. Wouldn't that be kooky?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 3, 2015 17:54

Yes, although I haven't seen all of them and mainly like the new 21st century version of Dr. Who. I thought Christopher Ecclestone was a brilliant doctor and I also liked David Tennant.
My favourite episode (and I actually think the best SF television ever, combining both the most clever use of time-travel-paradox and low-budget-scary-alien) was of course Blink. I think that episode still stands out as absolute genius.
And my favourite line of that episode is "It's the same rain". (With "Look to your left" as a good second).

For older SF, I prefer Blake's 7. Very outdated by now, terrible special effects, too much overacted, too slow, but the bleakness and cynism was brilliant.

Date: October 3, 2015 19:15

with sssoul
I watch it sometimes.
I'm expecting them to get the Doctor into a Sherlock episode, and/or vice versa.

I think the main writer, Steven Moffat, said he'd be open to the idea. So maybe...

Date: October 3, 2015 19:19

tomcasagranda
Yes.

1) Dr Who - Jon Pertwee
2) Dr Who - Tom Baker

Favourite companion: Sarah-Jane Smith
Favourite villain: The Master - Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt, John Simm, and Michelle Gomez versions.

Nice! I really like Christopher Eccleston too. Wish he'd stayed longer. And I wonder how long Capaldi is going to stay for

Date: October 3, 2015 19:20

Braincapers
stones2000

since 1963. God I'm old.

That's so cool! Man I wish I could've been with Doctor who since 1963. How cool it must be for you, having watched every new regeneration

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 3, 2015 19:23

with sssoul
tomcasagranda
Yes.
1) Dr Who - Jon Pertwee
2) Dr Who - Tom Baker

fezzes are cool

and i agree that blink is a masterpiece of an episode -- scary and twisty

Date: October 3, 2015 19:23

tomcasagranda
I can name names, and say that I'm not a fan of Matt Smith as the Dr - he appealed too much to the teenage element.

I was an early teenager when Peter Davison was the Dr, and he was horrendous; too wet and drippy, and not in the same league as Tom Baker. Colin Baker was horrendous, pompous, and over-acted. He was the embodiment of the 80s, and how it afflicted even a TV show. There was no nuance to his performance, and when you consider how a brilliant series such as the Tom Baker era City of Death was made in 1979, yet 6/7 years later John Nathan Turner, the producer, inflicted us with The Twin Dilemma, and Timelash.

I always think 80s Dr Who was similar to 80s era Stones, Dylan, and McCartney, i.e floundering, looking for direction, creating the odd gem, but otherwise a morass.

I can understand what you're saying about Matt Smith. Towards the end of his time as the Doctor, though, he did show a wiser, darker side.

Date: October 3, 2015 19:25

CloudCat
with sssoul
tomcasagranda
Yes.
1) Dr Who - Jon Pertwee
2) Dr Who - Tom Baker

fezzes are cool

and i agree that blink is a masterpiece of an episode -- scary and twisty

Matt Smith was pretty great! I loved his Pandorica speech. The whole Pandorica story arc blew my mind when I first watched it. So brilliantly written

Date: October 3, 2015 19:27

matxil
Yes, although I haven't seen all of them and mainly like the new 21st century version of Dr. Who. I thought Christopher Ecclestone was a brilliant doctor and I also liked David Tennant.
My favourite episode (and I actually think the best SF television ever, combining both the most clever use of time-travel-paradox and low-budget-scary-alien) was of course Blink. I think that episode still stands out as absolute genius.
And my favourite line of that episode is "It's the same rain". (With "Look to your left" as a good second).

For older SF, I prefer Blake's 7. Very outdated by now, terrible special effects, too much overacted, too slow, but the bleakness and cynism was brilliant.

Blake's 7? Hmm, never heard of that show. I'll have to check it out

Date: October 3, 2015 19:28

I liked Blake's Seven. Chris Boucher, the writer, was also behind Robots of Death, a great Dr Who series from the 1970s. The first two series of Blake's was excellent; the second too, less so, but then Gareth Thomas, Sally Knyvette, had left the series, as did Travis, who was an amazing villain.

There already is a Stones connection with Dr Who, in that Stargroves, Mick Jagger's mansion, was used as a setting for two Tom Baker serials - Pyramids of Mars, and Image of The Fendahl. Coincidentally, both were very good serials, with Pyramids of Mars being the better of the two.

City of Death I like, as every time I watch it, I find a fresh nuance: I think Douglas Adams has that effect, yet he didn't with The Pirate Planet, as he was the writer on that serial.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 3, 2015 19:36

stones2000
matxil

Blake's 7? Hmm, never heard of that show. I'll have to check it out

At that time (end of the 70s) I was in my teens, and I was pleasantly shocked by its cynism, the absolute lack of any good vs bad moral. The main moral of the series seemed to be that ideals are useless when you want to survive. It was very dystopian.
But I am not sure how much of the series is still watchable now, due to the aforementioned low-budget "effects" (for lack of a better word) and the rather theatrical overacting. You can find some episodes on YouTube, I think.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 4, 2015 01:37

love dr who. hate the clara show.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 4, 2015 02:13

yes Jon Pertwee was the best Dr imho

Date: October 4, 2015 16:36

keefriffhards
yes Jon Pertwee was the best Dr imho

I disagree, as Tom Baker's period with Philip Hinchcliffe as producer, and some of Graham Williams, was a great time for the show. In my opinion the best ever Dr Who serials were as follows:

1. The Deadly Assassin
2. Genesis of The Daleks
3. Pyramids of Mars
4. Ark In Space
5. City of Death
6. Robots of Death
7. Masque of Mandragora
8. Brain of Morbius
9. Image of the Fendahl
10. Seeds of Doom

You cannot top Tom Baker.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 4, 2015 20:09

my scientific theorem -- based upon many years of research and consequent and tangental studies and further symposiums, conferences, and caucuses -- is that everyone imprints on their first doctor experienced -- like the ducklings we are.

i first met the doctor as david tennant (who married the daughter of the fifth doctor (what is life like for her?), and as such that has become my image of the doctor. it was rough for me to meet matt smith as the doctor, but i know people who had matt smith as their first and cannot fathom david tennant as the doctor.

(apparently david tennant's tongue has it's own reddit and tumblr pages, and the activity of that muscle is part of the off-putting vis a vis david tennant. i put forth that the tongue action in the series is a result of the scottish tongue trying to get around an authentic london accent) (i accept it as part of the whole. i imprinted, you see.)

matt smith did in time win me over -- although i can't get my head around frozen fish fingers and custard -- but yes, fezzes are cool.

now, i cannot watch tom baker as the doctor at all....but i know that those tom baker evangelists have their zeal ingrained in them and cannot help themselves (with apologies to all you tom bakerists).

i was over the moon with the special the day of the doctor: the bunny is just a bunny and fezzes are cool! allons-y!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home