Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Stax
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2011 07:55

Gravity Boy: If you want to watch the master(s) at work, Booker T. Jones (organ), Steve Cropper (guitar), Al Jackson (drums, and of course, Donald 'Duck' Dunn (bass), then you must acquire ASAP the DVD titled STAX/VOLT REVUE - One Night Only 7 April 1967.

Booker T & the MGs are of course the above mentioned musicians. They start the set of this concert filmed in Norway. After a couple of numbers they are the backing band for Arthur Conley ('Sweet Soul Music'), Sam & Dave, and the headliner, Otis Redding. Damn, I'm going to have to get a bourbon and coke and put it on.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 2, 2011 08:09

And check out Otis with Booker T. and the M.G.s at Monterey Pop:

Greatest live performance by anyone, ever.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 2, 2011 10:00

24FPS
Gravity Boy: If you want to watch the master(s) at work, Booker T. Jones (organ), Steve Cropper (guitar), Al Jackson (drums, and of course, Donald 'Duck' Dunn (bass), then you must acquire ASAP the DVD titled STAX/VOLT REVUE - One Night Only 7 April 1967.

Booker T & the MGs are of course the above mentioned musicians. They start the set of this concert filmed in Norway. After a couple of numbers they are the backing band for Arthur Conley ('Sweet Soul Music'), Sam & Dave, and the headliner, Otis Redding. Damn, I'm going to have to get a bourbon and coke and put it on.

I heartedly concur.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 3, 2011 06:14

Rockman
Essential ---- Stax singles 59-68 9CD set and it carries that mighty
piece of Otis soul Don't Leave Me This Way --- only released on
B-side of Come To Me single and that surfin' garage like instrumental Restless by The Cobras ........

I bought this when I first went to Stax several years ago and its the gift that keeps on giving. There is a LOT of recognizable music on here. Example: I just found out this was a cover, which is available on the aforementioned set:

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 03:03

GravityBoy
I can see now that Tommy Cogbill played bass on "The Sound of Wilson Pickett".

Why does the "What Duck Done" book list it as Donald Dunn?

Great track anyway.

Cogbill is an unsung bass master, maybe of all time. I always loved the story of Stax, the southern black/white integration, but i only recently discovered Cogbill through an Aretha Franklin rediscovery phase. He was a quiet southern gentlemen from Memphis, orginally a jazz and country guitarist for sessions with the Memphis Boys. WHen Jerry Wexler needed a go-to bassist for the Muscle SHoals Pickett and Aretha sessions, Cogbill became the guy.
Gravity, songs like "Respect" are so overplayed that, like "Satisfaction", you forget how great they were and are. Aretha's version has a different feel than Otis' because of Cogbill's bass: the song is just four chords, each pounded out over a 4-beat measure, but TC creates forward motion and like Jamerson, was a master at transitions to and from verse and chorus progressions.
To appreciate this guy, you have to rediscover Aretha's early hits: "Respect", "Since You've Been Gone", "CHain of Fools", Baby I Love You" etc....and its Cogbill who is just so prominent.
I love Duck Dunn, but I could make a case for Cogbill as the Jamerson of southern soul for his diversity.
He also provided the great grooves for Elvis' "SUspicious Minds", "Kentucky Rain" etc...the Box Tops...He wasn't showy, but he was fluid, funky and creative..There isn't much info beyond his credits and.he died in 80 so to this day, he remains an unknown by most music fans.
Check out TC on this classic:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-05 03:16 by stupidguy2.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home