Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - R I P Gary Richrath
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 15, 2015 03:58

Re: OT - R I P Gary Richrath
Date: September 15, 2015 03:59

Thanks for the licks. RIP Gary

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 05:10

everwest1
More Hot Rocks
everwest1
Good ole Gary Richrath
1949-2015 R.I.P. sad smiley

Thats sad. he always was in bad heath.

Yeah man, sad smiley I never heard exactly what the exact situation was with his health, or why he left, but that band was never the same after he was left.

I saw REO as a kid right before and into their peak as a real rock band in their heyday and it was a blast, then a couple of years after Gary left I saw him play at a bar with 200-300 people and we stood up front as he amazed us playing those mythical Gary licks 2 feet away from of our faces, it was awesome... and then I never heard from him again, but I always liked him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 15, 2015 05:12

Damn that's sad to hear. Gary was certainly the most exciting part of that band. They were a constant concert attraction in the American midwest during the late 70's. Always loved Flying Turkey Trot and like many young guitarists at that time learned a lot of Gary's licks.

Yesterday while grocery shopping, Riding the Storm Out was playing on the store PA and it made me think of Gary and how long it had been since I'd heard that tune. I guess he was saying goodbye.

I wonder if REO was more of an American midwest phenomenon back then, before they had their second run. Perhaps some of the European folks can answer my question.

RIP Gary.

Date: September 15, 2015 05:31

These belong here... Fly Turkey Trot and Gary's Guitar solo

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Golden Country- some killer guitar here
Halloween night 1976, seems like just last year smoking smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Like you do - [www.youtube.com]

157 Riverside Avenue -
"It was JUST the other day" @ 4:15 winking smiley just the grinning smiley otherdrinking smiley day.... smileys with beer
[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 15, 2015 06:23

good guitar player. sad he's gone

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 15, 2015 13:31

God bless , R.I.P.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 15, 2015 13:33

I always liked "Ridin' The Storm Out". RIP

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 16:46

They were definitely a Midwest touring working band in the 70's. I am in Wisconsin and as kid in the 70's they were everywhere. clubs, opening acts, music fests. They finally hit it big in the early 80's with bad pop rock ballad type stuff. They paid their dues in the USA Midwest.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:10

Sad news. Again...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:33

I saw him with REO Speedwagon in 1985. It was my 3rd concert and it was a good one.

RIP Gary Richrath

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: September 15, 2015 19:05

I am just about 50 yrs old. I grew up just outside Rockford, Illinois. Growing up during that time - REO Speedwagon was a huge draw - as were Cheap Trick (who was from Rockford). REO I believe was based out of Champaign, Illinois - home of a major State University. So yes---they were a big Midwestern Band.

I was saddened by this death - not so much as a fan (frankly hadn't thought about this band in years) - but they were a huge part of my childhood. REO was VERY popular with the girls back then. (Me?.... I was a Stones guy even then. Sometimes I don't act like one on this forum----but I still am............secretly).

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 15, 2015 19:21

Always a fun show when Gary was in the band. Good rocking boogie that played well for '70s teens and twentysomethings. RIP

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 16, 2015 00:03

After he left in '89 the band was done for me, I loved everything before that, even the ballads. Anyone know the real reason(s) he left, or was pushed out? I never really heard.

R.I.P. Mr. Richrath.

Date: September 16, 2015 01:32

shadooby
After he left in '89 the band was done for me, I loved everything before that, even the ballads. Anyone know the real reason(s) he left, or was pushed out? I never really heard.

R.I.P. Mr. Richrath.

REO really did change after Gary left, it became what I have no interest in, a soft rock ballad band. I guess they made more money with the soft stuff, but not a penny from me, I moved on along soon after Gary left.

I always assumed that there was a conscious decided plan to go the soft ballad way and kick ass Gary Richrath said if that was the way it would be then he was out. I always admired him that in him, and I also respected that he never came out and bashed on his old band for being so lame, I guess he knew that we knew and it didnt need to be said by him.

Listening to those good old REO songs, they really boogie woogie rocked and rolled... 1976... it seems like a couple of years ago.

It does have something to do with how I feel about the Stones...
REO really was a great band and put on great shows back in the day... and then they went away... and other bands went away.... heck, pretty much every other good ole band went away... except for THE STONES... and that is why they have my allegiance and admiration. The Stones have never let me down and never went away like so many bands have.

Thanks for the Rock and Roll Gary R.I.P.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 01:43 by everwest1.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 16, 2015 02:05

shadooby

R.I.P. Mr. Richrath.

I've heard the stories but don't think this thread is the right place to be discussing them I guess. A bit of internet research can answer your questions pretty easily.

Date: September 16, 2015 02:57

Gary 2 years ago.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:53

crholmstrom
I always liked "Ridin' The Storm Out". RIP

Barn Party High School graduation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home